What does a SB ring mean to a rookie?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling that a SB championship doesn't mean as much to a rookie as it does to DD or Woodson?

Imagine all the work that those vets put into their craft... the ups and the down... and FINALLY! FINALLY! They get a ring!

Now think about a rookie entering his first NFL season... and right away, he gets a Championship. That's almost bittersweet isn't it? Winning the SB is the ULTIMATE goal... and you get a ring in your first year?

It's impressive, but it's almost like trying to win the heart of a woman... The CHASE is always the best/most fun part. These rookies barely had to chase anything.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better yet, what does it mean to a guy on IR?

Oh man... so true. I saw Jermichael Finley tweeting YOTTO part 1 done. Now on to YOTTO part 2. Or something like that.

If you're on IR... you gotta be happy with your team, but man... it must be kinda depressing!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from some the remarks from other players that had won it their rookie years, they all expected to be back in the SB and it to be a constant thing. Doesn't happen that way most of the time.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man... so true. I saw Jermichael Finley tweeting YOTTO part 1 done. Now on to YOTTO part 2. Or something like that.

If you're on IR... you gotta be happy with your team, but man... it must be kinda depressing!

I saw someone retweet Court Finley saying she was gonna frame his Super Bowl jersey, and it kinda pissed me off- I mean, WTF for? It's not like he played or contributed much to the team's success this year. He didn't stick around to help Quarless or Crabtree improve their game, and he missed 11 regular season games and all 4 post season games. Literally, the dude did very little to help this team win, yet he acts like he was a big part of it.

I dunno, kinda bugs me.

As for what this win means to rookies, I would say very little compared to long time veterans Driver, Woodson and Pickett. Most are probably thinking, "That was easy, we'll definitely be back again!" While I hope that's true, that they do get back, I also hope they don't take this win for granted.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it still means a lot to them, look at Bulaga he helped us out a lot with out O-Line issues just in his 1st year. Starks was pretty decent in the playoffs!

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few weeks back on FOX Howie Long was talking baout how the Raiders won the SB in one of his first years there, and he thought "Oh, this was easy. I'll get a bunch." And he never made it back. It definitely means more to the vets that have been chasing it their whole careers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since when did emotions become a competitive sport between players of the same team?

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw someone retweet Court Finley saying she was gonna frame his Super Bowl jersey, and it kinda pissed me off- I mean, WTF for? It's not like he played or contributed much to the team's success this year. He didn't stick around to help Quarless or Crabtree improve their game, and he missed 11 regular season games and all 4 post season games. Literally, the dude did very little to help this team win, yet he acts like he was a big part of it.

I dunno, kinda bugs me.

As for what this win means to rookies, I would say very little compared to long time veterans Driver, Woodson and Pickett. Most are probably thinking, "That was easy, we'll definitely be back again!" While I hope that's true, that they do get back, I also hope they don't take this win for granted.

This is because Finley is an idiot. He needs a reality check something fierce. He and his wife.

As for the Rookies appreciating this ring as much as Driver/Woodson/Pickett/Clifton... Not a chance. And I wouldn't either if I were in their shoe's. You don't fully appreciate something until you see how truly hard it is/can be. Just human nature. We take things for granted. They'll appreciate it 10 years from now.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they appreciate since Pickett let them know it is not an easy win,not an easy to get there every year but I must say the veterans on this team Driver Woodson Pickett and a few others who came so close in 07,they do know headache for sure,lessons rookies can learn.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think Finley is mad that he couldn't play in the Super Bowl or any games after week 6 for us.

But you know what?

Does it matter anymore?

We won the Super Bowl with so many banged up players it's unreal. All I ever hear is teams complain about losing playoff games cause they had injured players. The Steelers fans are still hanging onto the "we had injuries" excuse to losing to the Raiders in the AFC Championship game the year Madden won the Super Bowl. I know tons and tons of Saints fans that cry that they lost to Seattle cause Chris Ivory and some other guy was on the injury list.

I think the Pack attack proved that you can have DEPTH at any position and still make it.

Let's face it on teams who were injury plagued this year

Colts
Peyton Manning can force a ball in double coverage to Reggie Wayne or Garcon, or anyone that is a starter to that team, but when he tries doing it to a back up is it really their fault they can't beat double coverage? Everyone on ESPN loves to pamper the Mannings but most of his interceptions, 3/4's of them ARE his fault, just like the Super Bowl. You can't force the ball in coverage forever.

Saints
I know Reggie Bush never was a factor for them this year, but they would have had more depth at position had they not let free agents go during the off season. Scott Fujita was a big hole missing. Mike Bell also would had been worth using instead of hanging onto Reggie Bush to drop passes, fumble, and run to the sideline.

Cowboys
Oh yeah, when Romo went down "Their season went down" despite the fact they had already lost 5 games under Mr. Super Star.

Packers
We lost Grant, Finley, hell tons of other key players and we STILL won 10 games. Above and beyond, the faith and belief we could get the job done went a long ways to the Super Bowl in which we won. I think we proved that the "injuries excuse" is just an excuse. We had the depth at position. Guys we thought would never step up, and they did it. No matter how many passes Nelson dropped, he caught the Touchdown in the Super Bowl, and so on.

OP
OP

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Finley is mad that he couldn't play in the Super Bowl or any games after week 6 for us.

But you know what?

Does it matter anymore?

We won the Super Bowl with so many banged up players it's unreal. All I ever hear is teams complain about losing playoff games cause they had injured players. The Steelers fans are still hanging onto the "we had injuries" excuse to losing to the Raiders in the AFC Championship game the year Madden won the Super Bowl. I know tons and tons of Saints fans that cry that they lost to Seattle cause Chris Ivory and some other guy was on the injury list.

I think the Pack attack proved that you can have DEPTH at any position and still make it.

Let's face it on teams who were injury plagued this year

Colts
Peyton Manning can force a ball in double coverage to Reggie Wayne or Garcon, or anyone that is a starter to that team, but when he tries doing it to a back up is it really their fault they can't beat double coverage? Everyone on ESPN loves to pamper the Mannings but most of his interceptions, 3/4's of them ARE his fault, just like the Super Bowl. You can't force the ball in coverage forever.

Saints
I know Reggie Bush never was a factor for them this year, but they would have had more depth at position had they not let free agents go during the off season. Scott Fujita was a big hole missing. Mike Bell also would had been worth using instead of hanging onto Reggie Bush to drop passes, fumble, and run to the sideline.

Cowboys
Oh yeah, when Romo went down "Their season went down" despite the fact they had already lost 5 games under Mr. Super Star.

Packers
We lost Grant, Finley, hell tons of other key players and we STILL won 10 games. Above and beyond, the faith and belief we could get the job done went a long ways to the Super Bowl in which we won. I think we proved that the "injuries excuse" is just an excuse. We had the depth at position. Guys we thought would never step up, and they did it. No matter how many passes Nelson dropped, he caught the Touchdown in the Super Bowl, and so on.

I think you just totally hijacked my thread.

As an aside, did anyone watch House MD last night? Anyways, on the show, Dr. Taub states that he got 100% on his pathology boards the first time he took it. And everyone he retakes it now... it's just a a measuring stick to how far he fell.

With that said... these rookies will never feel what DD and Woodson felt after that win. EVER.

Members online

Latest posts