What do you think the Packers need to do in the off-season?

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My current offseason hopes

i want to draft a corner in 1st or 2nd round and then try and sign another young vet in free agency. unless we go after trufant which id love. there is alot of potential good corners coming out of this draft.

With Bubba and KGB id have to agree. we need them to take a pay cut. we can afford what were paying them now but there level of play is not worth all that money. so please take a pay cut.

o-line I think we will bring a couple guys in but I also think that the guys we have will improve. and the run game should be more consistent next season.

man i cant wait for until next season already. unless favre calls it quits then 50/50 on next year.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: My current offseason hopes

The packers have a young and deep roster. There are not many positions that a rookie would be able to come in an start. TT has taken this team about as far as it can go through the draft and has done so in a short time frame. Now is when FA needs to come in and help the rest. So here is what I would like to see done.

First resign Williams. I want the DT depth and rotation ability.

Second the Oline needs more consitency on run blocking. I do not see any stud Guards in the draft so this is one spot for a FA. There are a few G that would fit in the ZBS. Needs to be done before Clifton and Tauscher get much older.

Third D needs pass rush consistency also. Here is where I would like to see a DE/LB drafted. There are three prospects for the first round and I think we should be able to get either Quentin Groves or Derrick Harvey. To go along with this restructure or release KGB (7.7 mil cap number). If KGB will drop about 3 mil from his number I would love for him to stay. Either of these players could play LB when Jenkins is at DE on runs and can move to DE for pass with Poppinga coming in.

4th CB. Harris and Woodson are both great but I would like to see a FA come in and help with the Nickel. My favorite would be Trufant but one of the three would have to be convinced that it is better for the team that they step back. Having a 3 CB rotation could work nice as well. I do not really see that happening, Drayton Florence would probably be a better fit.

Also Bubba needs to be restructured or released as well. 4.5 mil for his play time behind Lee is to much. Drop 2 mil and stay or I say bye bye.

I don't see enough years left in Brett or either T to allow more rookies time to develope. I am sure I may change view as the draft approaches but these are my thoughts as of now.

Trufant is hardly going to want to go from a Prowbowl starter to being a nickelback in Green Bay. :roll:

Reaction score
Re: My current offseason hopes

First resign Williams. I want the DT depth and rotation ability.

To be fair, you could say the Packers have DT depth and rotation ability without Williams. Pickett/Harrell/Jolly/Cole with Jenkins occasionally is a solid rotation.

Second the Oline needs more consitency on run blocking. I do not see any stud Guards in the draft so this is one spot for a FA. There are a few G that would fit in the ZBS. Needs to be done before Clifton and Tauscher get much older.

Completely agree, I think we need a starting caliber Guard.

However, that isn't to say we need to sign a free agent. LG Barber might be the one to eventually emerge as one of our starting Guards, and be consistent too!

4th CB. Harris and Woodson are both great but I would like to see a FA come in and help with the Nickel. My favorite would be Trufant but one of the three would have to be convinced that it is better for the team that they step back. Having a 3 CB rotation could work nice as well. I do not really see that happening, Drayton Florence would probably be a better fit.

Um, I'd like to see the Packers add a 3rd (Nickel) CB, not a 4th one.

Tramon Williams has potential, and there might be something Blackmon can offer us if he stays healthy.

I'm probably the only one, but I'm really high on Jarret Bush. I think he has the ability to be a starting caliber CB, I think he just needs some more time to develop. There were moments when Bush showed brilliance, and other moments where he struggled badly. Still, I think people shouldn't forget about Bush.

Hence with my personal high opinion of Bush, I don't think we need to draft a young CB in the first round. I'd like one on the first day, but not necessarily the first round.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a theory for how we could address the CB position:

Sign Asante Samuel or Marcus Trufant. Both are obviously premier cover corners, and would likely be in GB for a good, long time.

What to do with Harris/Woodson you say? Well, Wood usually lines up on whichever receiver is in the slot when opponents go to a 3 or 4-wide set, right?

So we keep him there, he's our nickel corner. Now you're probably getting ready to take that part and say "Yeah right, PIB, no nickel corner is worth the kind of $$$ that Chuckwood is making".

But not so fast!! On two-receiver sets, Woodson slides up to Safety, bumping out Collins/Rouse, and Harris and the New Guy take the corners.

Who wants to throw into that hornet's nest? Hmmm? Nobody, that's who.

Except Ryan Leaf. He takes all comers. :D

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lance Briggs would solve the CB position.

I think one reason why the CB position has trouble is because too much QB time. Lance Briggs a Packer and QBs won't have time to think.

This is my perception - but our CBs have been fine when QBs don't have time. They get beaten when QBs have time.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think one reason why the CB position has trouble is because too much QB time. Lance Briggs a Packer and QBs won't have time to think.

This is my perception - but our CBs have been fine when QBs don't have time. They get beaten when QBs have time.

Might be part of the solution but this would require blitzing. I would like a consistend pass rush from the front 4 without a blitz.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: What do you think the Packers need to do in the off-seas

Zombieslayer said:

Might be part of the solution but this would require blitzing. I would like a consistend pass rush from the front 4 without a blitz.

That's easy to say in theory, but the reality is sometimes you have to blitz. We have a strong DL. Kampman + KGB are pretty high up there in the NFL for DE sacks. Williams had 7. That's still not enough.

If Barnett and/or Bigby hit the opposing QBs a few times a game, he's going to rush his throws.

The DL can't always put pressure on the QB. That's just the reality of it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am behind Zombie's line of thinking 100%. Pressure is good. You have to have it. Blitzes are necessary, at least a few times/game. but if you break it down to each individual snap, the QB's anxiety at the thought of being pressured is much more important than those few plays in which pressure is actually applied. If he's afraid of the pressure coming, he will always paying more attention to the perceived blitzers, and thus, less on his targets.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The old saying goes if you are not getting better you are getting worse. The Pack have 2 OT's, a QB, a WR, a TE and 2 CB's who are on the downside of their careers and not getting better. One would think those would be logical areas to look for new faces or at least competition/development. They also received rather spotty play from their group of interior offensive linemen. They have one average LB, and questionable depth. They also have 2 average safeties.

Some of the competition at the aforementioned positions may already be on the roster(and some of the players I graded below average may progress next year), however these are the positions I would be looking to address sooner rather than later. Running back depth is also a concern, as ideally they would like to have a change of pace back to take 10-15 carries per game, while getting Grant 20-25. A reliable 3rd down back would also be nice.

They also must examine their defensive scheme. There are very few teams that play like GB on defense for several reasons: 1. It is darn near impossible to have 2 - 3 above average man corners; and 2. The scheme requires alot out of the DL in terms of pressure, etc. Injuries at any CB position makes it difficult to run this defense with success. Also, injuries and fatigue along the DL result in less pressure on the QB as the season rolls on, forcing more blitzing to obtain pressure(however the GB blitz packages seem rather predictable). This will be a critical year for Sanders and his staff to see if they can realize the shortcomings of this scheme and also understand the strengths of their personnel to create a hybrid system allowing the defense to flourish.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: What do you think the Packers need to do in the off-seas

The old saying goes if you are not getting better you are getting worse. The Pack have 2 OT's, a QB, a WR, a TE and 2 CB's who are on the downside of their careers and not getting better. One would think those would be logical areas to look for new faces or at least competition/development. They also received rather spotty play from their group of interior offensive linemen. They have one average LB, and questionable depth. They also have 2 average safeties.

Just wanted to address this:

2 OTs: Tauscher is peaking. I think Cliffy has already peaked but is still effective. Colledge is probably our LT of the future, but do we have someone to take Tauscher's place? We'll address this in the draft.

QB: Favre is the #2 QB in the NFL. If he slips, he might go to #3 or #4 next year. You can't complain when you have a top tier QB. Rodgers is a good quality backup and will take over the reins when Favre retires. How good is Nall? MM will make that judgment call. If TT drafts a QB, it's because MM doesn't believe in Nall and told TT that he'll need a backup for Rodgers when Favre retires after the '08 (or maybe '09) season.

WR: I assume you're referring to Driver. Driver has a few good years left in him, and JJ is the guy who will be replacing Driver. Jennings is the guy who replaced Walker, and I'd take Gregorious over Javon any day of the week. K-Rob may surprise a lot of people next year. Martin is acceptable, and Holliday will be back. I see no need for a WR.

TE: Yes. We need depth here. I expect a TE to be drafted.

CB: Don't be surprised if we draft 2 CBs and 3 total DBs.

Members online

Latest posts