What do you think the Packers need to do in the off-season?

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts on the offseason

I know I don't post much, but I read quite often. Here are my position analysis and thoughts for the offseason. I'm sure TT will blow it out of the water. Feel free to flame away. :lol:

QB B. Favre, A. Rodgers, Draft Pick
Depends on Favre’s decision. I am guessing that he is back for one more year. I think they will spend a mid to late round pick on a QB with some upside. If Favre hangs it up I think Nall may stick around as a backup to Rodgers

RB R. Grant, B. Jackson, V. Morency/D. Wynn
I am not too sure on this one. Of course I’d like to see Ted sign Michael Turner, but that is not going to happen. I hope that Grant doesn’t turn out like Samkon Gado, which I don’t think he will. After a slow start Brandon Jackson showed some promise at the end of the year. Morency should be around for a camp battle since he is a restricted free agent. Noah Herron is a wild card on this, but my guess is done. I don’t think you will see Ted get any free agents or draft any running backs unless something falls into his lap

FB K. Hall, J. Kuhn
No changes here.

WR D. Driver, G. Jennings, J. Jones, R. Martin, K. Robinson, Carlyle Holiday
Driver, Jennings, and Jones are locks. I think Ruvell makes it as well. I think you will see Shaun Bodiford, Carlyle Holiday, and Koren battle it out for the last 2 spots. Koren looked rusty this year, but I think after a full training camp he will be better. My guess Bodiford is the odd man out here. I don’t see any free agent signings or draft picks here.

TE D. Lee, B. Franks, Draft Pick
If Bubba agrees to restructure I think he sticks around. I don’t think Krause will be around unless for training camp. I think you will see a draft pick here. It is a pretty decent draft class for TE.

OL C. Clifton, D. Colledge, M. Tauscher, S. Wells, J. Spitz, J. Coston, A. Barbre. T. Moll, 1-2 Draft Picks
Hmm, a big area of need. I think we have some players, but Colledge would make a better tackle and Spitz would make a better center. We also need to look for someone to eventually groom for the tackle position besides Colledge. I am thinking a second round pick of a guard and a day 2 pick of a guard/tackle or both. I know we all want Alan Faneca, but TT like Wolf does not put a premium on guards, so it will be through the draft. The only free agent TT would consider may be Floyd Womack if the price isn’t too steep.

DL A. Kampman, KGB, C. Jenkins, M. Montgomery, J. Hunter, Draft Pick
J. Jolly, R. Pickett, J. Harrell, D. Muir, C. Cole
I can only hope that TT can hold on to Corey Williams, but I don’t see it happening. 7 sack a year DT’s are a premium and he is going to get a lot of money. If we could sign him to a legitimate deal I would do it, but I am not holding my breathe. I am guessing that they may ask KGB to restructure. I think you may see a draft pick spent on a DE in the mid to late rounds.

LB N. Barnett, A. Hawk, B. Poppinga, T. White, D. Bishop
Don’t see any changes here. I know a lot of people are down on Poppinga, but I think he is becoming a solid player. I would love to see Karlos Dansby signed, but I doubt it. I think Abdul Hodge may be on the outs here, but hopefully he will bounce back.

S N. Collins, A. Bigby, A. Rouse, T. Culver
I don’t think there will be any changes here. There will be a training camp battle between Peprah and Culver for the final spot.

CB A. Harris, C. Woodson, T. Williams, J. Bush, W. Blackmon, 2 Draft Picks
I think between this position and OL it will be the most necessary to draft for. Harris and Woodson are locks. Tramon Williams looked good and he can get better. Will Blackmon is a force on defense and special teams if he could only stay healthy. Depending on how the draft picks work out Bush may be out, but my guess is that he stays. He has potential. We need to groom for eventual replacements for Harris and Woodson. A player that I would like Ted to look at would be Randall Gay of the Patriots. Not a big name, but a solid 25 year old corner.

K M. Crosby
No complaints here, lead the league in scoring and is only a rookie.

P J. Ryan
I think you will see a rookie free agent signed here or maybe a late draft pick.

Draft
1 CB
2 OL
3 DE/DT
4 OL
5 TE
7(6) QB
7 CB

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dang, that's some right nice analysis from a poster with 5 posts and counting! If you're gonna bring stuff like that, keep 'em coming!

I like the priority list, and agree with it for the most part. I wouldn't mind seeing back-to-back corners with the first two picks, though. One ready for the field, and one high-upside project.

But I have a thing for the CB position, some I'm a little partial... :)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WR - I disagree with your analysis of Koren Robinson. I would be surprised if, next season, he is lower on the depth chart than #3. I hope we keep him, but I can see him being traded.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: My thoughts on the offseason

I hope we replace Ryan as punter and that Bush (bad name except for Reggie) is gone.

OP
OP
P

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
WR - I disagree with your analysis of Koren Robinson. I would be surprised if, next season, he is lower on the depth chart than #3. I hope we keep him, but I can see him being traded.
I don't think there is a huge trade market for KRob. With his past not a lot of teams are going to give you decent picks for a player like this. Nothing against KRob I commend him for getting the help he needed and getting his life on track. He never has been the receiver that a #9 pick should be. He is a great returner and a good receiver. He never did a lot in Seattle and had a lot of dropped passes. He never really hit it big so to speak when he was the returner in Minnesota. I expect him to be with the team and unless we see a huge sophomore slump from James Jones, will probably be #4. That is my opinion for what it is worth.

Reaction score

Good analysis, although I disagree with a couple of points (and a couple I just wanted to give my input on):

RB R. Grant, B. Jackson, V. Morency/D. Wynn

I think we will keep 4 RBs, with V-Morency the odd man out. Grant has shown tremendous potential, Jackson seems to have long-term potential as more of a Westbrook type back that can run and contribute something as a receiver. Wynn, although considered "soft", has good potential that I don't see the Packers passing up too soon. I think they give Wynn a couple of more years to toughen up through the off-season program, because I think Wynn has potential to eventually be a starting caliber RB.

The key here is Herron. I really like him, he's a bit like Tony Fisher in the sense that he can block, catch, and run. You need guys like him, guys that don't have the greatest talent but make up for it with excellent work ethic and determination. I think Herron can serve as a part-time FB, giving us insurance during the season if Hall of Kuhn get injured.

TE D. Lee, B. Franks, Draft Pick

I think Troy Humphrey deserves mention. He apparently had a solid camp last year, and had displaced Bubba as the second TE. So I'd it's possible that our TE rotation is Lee, Humphrey, draft pick.

But your rotation also seems quite plausible.

LB N. Barnett, A. Hawk, B. Poppinga, T. White, D. Bishop

For starters, you missed out Hodge. I think he may have a little something to contribute.

Besides Hodge, I think we have to add a draft pick to this group. If either Hawk/Barett/Poppinga go down, Bishop is next in line. Bishop is still very raw, and IMO has struggled to pick up the mental side of the NFL. He's taken bad angles, and has had problems disengaging from blockers.

White is a must because he is a great ST player, but I think you have to bring a draft pick in to challenge Bishop/Hodge. I just don't think either one of them is capable enough to step in and do an adequate job if a starter goes down.

CB A. Harris, C. Woodson, T. Williams, J. Bush, W. Blackmon, 2 Draft Picks

I think we will only have space for one CB through the draft. Harris/Woodson/Bush/Blackmon/Williams are 5 CBs, and I don't see the Packers keeping more than 6 like this year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
I don't think there is a huge trade market for KRob. With his past not a lot of teams are going to give you decent picks for a player like this. Nothing against KRob I commend him for getting the help he needed and getting his life on track. He never has been the receiver that a #9 pick should be. He is a great returner and a good receiver. He never did a lot in Seattle and had a lot of dropped passes. He never really hit it big so to speak when he was the returner in Minnesota. I expect him to be with the team and unless we see a huge sophomore slump from James Jones, will probably be #4. That is my opinion for what it is worth.

I think the reason he never made a splash was because of his addiction issues. From what I understand, he has been clean ever since that night in Rochester MN, which I think shows a lot of upside for him. I don't agree with your points, but I do like the fact that we are arguing over whether or not a Probowl caliber player will be #3 or #4 on the roster. That's a good problem to have.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty good list but i think Morency is as good as gone even though I like him and Jarret Bush better be gone!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's pretty good.

My only disagreement - we will draft a LB to give Poppinga some competition. Or we'll pick up a Free Agent. Poppinga isn't a lock to start next year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pop isn't a lock (heh heh) to start next year, but I thought he progressed nicely this season.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i like what you all have to say i'm not up on all the picks but i do think krod will be back he is good on special teams and i think he will be very good next year as a w.r dont forget he didnt come back untill late in the year morency i dont think he is doing very well he had oppertunites just seems like a fall down guy cant get it going bush i thought he would be somthing when he played in the preseason but after that he didnt do much williams i hope they try and keep :)

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Koren is definitely better than you give him credit for in your analysis. Didn't he go to the Pro Bowl for kick returning when with the Vikings?
He has enough talent to be the 3rd Receiver and for sure a 4th receiver.

Didn't we lose a draft pick on Grant by the way?
Either the 5th or 6th pick on your analysis should be taken off.

Reaction score

Didn't we lose a draft pick on Grant by the way?
Either the 5th or 6th pick on your analysis should be taken off.

We did indeed lose a 6th round pick, but I think we might be in line for a compensatory pick. Not sure about that though.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My thoughts on the offseason. May be a little off for most of you.

LB core.
Barnett is of course the man. A J Hawk played average in my opinion. I would love to see this guy involved in more blitz packages. Popinga is a person whom i would consider getting rid of because he is a huge liability in pass coverage. Instead of putting raw talent or a rookie in his place, we should pick up a top level free agent. Now whom ever replaces him must be very fast and be a hard hitter. If we dont get a free agent, i say keep Popinga and hope he developes better next year.

FS, SS.
Bigby started really dissappointing. But now is a force. He should stay in FS. I still believe that Collins is the guy, but they should rotate him with Rouse especially on 3rd and longs. Rouse made more plays on the ball when we was there it seemed.

RB
Wynn started to carry the load ok for us till he got hurt. So i think he will stay. I think we need a big back that we could use to pound on 3rd and short. Maybe free agency or rookie.

Draft - On the draft side, we probaly need to get some more OL and CB's.

Of course like i said, a lot of you probaly wont agree with me. But with that saying, our biggest offseason help has already happened. Experience. We lacked, now we dont have any excuses next year, unless the injury bug hits us hard.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope we replace Ryan as punter and that Bush (bad name except for Reggie) is gone.
I take it that means you'd rather have someone back there named "Clinton???" :lol:

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dallas Clark anyone?

I can't see this happening anytime soon.

As for K-Rob, he's pretty bad ***. I honestly think he's a better receiver than he is a kick returner. As far as whether or not he's #3, it's kind of a toss up between him and JJ. Jones should get a lot better over the off season. I think he had a pretty good rookie year. K-Rob is AT LEAST a #4, I hope we keep him around.

Secondary...... oy vey.... Bush = cut. Bigby definitely showed a different side of himself in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if he carries that into next season. I'm hoping we draft a new bad *** cover man to light a fire up under Harris and Woodson.

O-LINE!! Colledge.... step up or step off... I say we go get a good veteran G.

packersfan4life : great post!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My thoughts on the offseason. May be a little off for most of you.

LB core.
Barnett is of course the man. A J Hawk played average in my opinion. I would love to see this guy involved in more blitz packages. Popinga is a person whom i would consider getting rid of because he is a huge liability in pass coverage. Instead of putting raw talent or a rookie in his place, we should pick up a top level free agent. Now whom ever replaces him must be very fast and be a hard hitter. If we dont get a free agent, i say keep Popinga and hope he developes better next year.

FS, SS.
Bigby started really dissappointing. But now is a force. He should stay in FS. I still believe that Collins is the guy, but they should rotate him with Rouse especially on 3rd and longs. Rouse made more plays on the ball when we was there it seemed.

RB
Wynn started to carry the load ok for us till he got hurt. So i think he will stay. I think we need a big back that we could use to pound on 3rd and short. Maybe free agency or rookie.

Draft - On the draft side, we probaly need to get some more OL and CB's.

Of course like i said, a lot of you probaly wont agree with me. But with that saying, our biggest offseason help has already happened. Experience. We lacked, now we dont have any excuses next year, unless the injury bug hits us hard.

I actually don't think there will be many folks who will disagree with you. I think you have a spot-on analysis.

OP
OP
P

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, you are correct that they will lose their 6th round pick for Ryan Grant, but they will get a compensatory pick either 6th or 7th for the loss of Ahman Green, David Martin, or Kendrick Allen. Looking at the list now it will probably be a late 7th.

OP
OP
P

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Koren is definitely better than you give him credit for in your analysis. Didn't he go to the Pro Bowl for kick returning when with the Vikings?

You guys are reading a bit much into my analysis. I never said Koren would not make the team and will be the primary kick returner. He has had only one 1000 yard season and that was in 2002. He did have a pro bowl year in 2005, but didn't do much as a receiver with the Vikings. The Vikings in 2005 had the stellar receiving core of, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson, and Nate Burleson. :roll:

Here are Koren's career stats: Stats

I'm just saying look at it subjectively. If he turns in a great year next year that is awesome.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BryanAschenbrenner said:

You guys are reading a bit much into my analysis. I never said Koren would not make the team and will be the primary kick returner. He has had only one 1000 yard season and that was in 2002. He did have a pro bowl year in 2005, but didn't do much as a receiver with the Vikings. The Vikings in 2005 had the stellar receiving core of, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Marcus Robinson, and Nate Burleson. :roll:

I'm just saying look at it subjectively. If he turns in a great year next year that is awesome.

I have a feeling Koren will displace JJ as our 3rd WR next year. Koren and Brett just seem to have a chemistry. I'm expecting 45+ catches and 750+ yards with 3+ TDs from Koren next year. Driver will have the most catches. Gregorious will have the most yards and TDs.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score

packersfan4life said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:

I have a feeling Koren will displace JJ as our 3rd WR next year. Koren and Brett just seem to have a chemistry. I'm expecting 45+ catches and 750+ yards with 3+ TDs from Koren next year. Driver will have the most catches. Gregorious will have the most yards and TDs.

I think it'll be interesting to see who gets the start, JJ or Koren. JJ has TONS of potential, but I think you're right about Koren and Brett.

OP
OP
P

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well here is my early 2008 Mock
Round 1: Aqib Talib CB Kansas
Round 2: Heath Benedict OG Newberry
Round 3: Titus Brown DE Miss State
Round 4: Duane Brown OT Virginia Tech
Round 5: Chris Hawkins TE Toledo
Round 7: Terell Vinson CB Purdue
Round 7 (compensatory?) Bernard Morris QB Marshall

Just my thoughts, but then again what do I know.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My current offseason hopes

The packers have a young and deep roster. There are not many positions that a rookie would be able to come in an start. TT has taken this team about as far as it can go through the draft and has done so in a short time frame. Now is when FA needs to come in and help the rest. So here is what I would like to see done.

First resign Williams. I want the DT depth and rotation ability.

Second the Oline needs more consitency on run blocking. I do not see any stud Guards in the draft so this is one spot for a FA. There are a few G that would fit in the ZBS. Needs to be done before Clifton and Tauscher get much older.

Third D needs pass rush consistency also. Here is where I would like to see a DE/LB drafted. There are three prospects for the first round and I think we should be able to get either Quentin Groves or Derrick Harvey. To go along with this restructure or release KGB (7.7 mil cap number). If KGB will drop about 3 mil from his number I would love for him to stay. Either of these players could play LB when Jenkins is at DE on runs and can move to DE for pass with Poppinga coming in.

4th CB. Harris and Woodson are both great but I would like to see a FA come in and help with the Nickel. My favorite would be Trufant but one of the three would have to be convinced that it is better for the team that they step back. Having a 3 CB rotation could work nice as well. I do not really see that happening, Drayton Florence would probably be a better fit.

Also Bubba needs to be restructured or released as well. 4.5 mil for his play time behind Lee is to much. Drop 2 mil and stay or I say bye bye.

I don't see enough years left in Brett or either T to allow more rookies time to develope. I am sure I may change view as the draft approaches but these are my thoughts as of now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts