What Do The Packers Need Most In 2013

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Because Kaepernick's runs were the fault of the pass rush, and Perry was completely healthy all year. B/R tries so hard... Our pass D was statistically better than our run D.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need ILB's who make tackles near or behind the LOS more often.
And we need our 2 starting OLB's to stay healthy all year like the 49ers did.
Thompson had all the pieces there.... but A) Bishop, DJ Smith, and Nick Perry going down hurt, B) Jerel Worthy was not as advertised, C) Capers under-performed.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it before and I'll say it again... linebackers, linebackers, linebackers. Inside... Outside... Linebackers of all shapes and sizes. Make Hawk compete for his job. Don't assume Bishop will come back healthy and be a very good player again. Don't assume Perry will come back healthy and improve as a player. Get linebackers in the draft and free agency to compete.

I also wouldn't mind a nose tackle and running back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What I’m hoping for is another playmaker on defense. If he’s good enough he can play ILB, OLB, DE, NT or safety. But when I look at the team the glaring need I see is a prototypical DE in the base 3-4. IMO the Packers don’t have one on the roster with the possible exception of a healthy Mike Neal fulfilling his potential. Imagine a DE in the base opponents have to game plan for starting at RDE in front of Matthews.

I love Ryan Pickett’s contribution and attitude but he’s best suited to be a NT, or a 4-3 DT. He is OK at DE on the strong side in the base 3-4 but he’s not a playmaker/difference maker there. I will be surprised if someone here believes CJ Wilson is the answer at DE. He’s the kind of player you want to upgrade and Thompson tried with Worthy. Worthy will have to take a substantial step forward to be a difference maker at DE in the base; unfortunately I don’t see him taking that step. My realistic hope for him is he becomes a difference maker in the nickel and dime (2 DL formations) rushing the passer. Same for Mike Daniels who I think has a good shot to become a really good DL in the nickel and dime.

BTW, some are pessimistic about Nick Perry and at this point their point of view is as valid as those of us who are more optimistic about him. If I shared the other view, I’d emphasize the need for an OLB but I think Perry has a chance to be very good – he just needs to stay healthy and really want it. They need better play from their ILBs but I think there’s a good chance that can come from the current roster – Bishop, Smith, Manning, perhaps Lattimore or Francois. I’ve posted more than once my opinion they need a better partner at safety for Burnett.

But if I had to list their number one need it would be a great 3-4 DE. If Neal continues to improve he could take over one DE spot the newcomer the other and Pickett could backup Raji at NT, reducing each of their snaps and improving the D up the middle.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We need ILB's who make tackles near or behind the LOS more often.
And we need our 2 starting OLB's to stay healthy all year like the 49ers did.
Thompson had all the pieces there.... but A) Bishop, DJ Smith, and Nick Perry going down hurt, B) Jerel Worthy was not as advertised, C) Capers under-performed.
Worthy was exactly as advertised: A raw athlete who relied on his first step but had a lot of potential. A long term project who may or may not make an immediate impact, but could turn out to be a great player if the coaching sticks.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
What I’m hoping for is another playmaker on defense. If he’s good enough he can play ILB, OLB, DE, NT or safety. But when I look at the team the glaring need I see is a prototypical DE in the base 3-4. IMO the Packers don’t have one on the roster with the possible exception of a healthy Mike Neal fulfilling his potential. Imagine a DE in the base opponents have to game plan for starting at RDE in front of Matthews.

I love Ryan Pickett’s contribution and attitude but he’s best suited to be a NT, or a 4-3 DT. He is OK at DE on the strong side in the base 3-4 but he’s not a playmaker/difference maker there. I will be surprised if someone here believes CJ Wilson is the answer at DE. He’s the kind of player you want to upgrade and Thompson tried with Worthy. Worthy will have to take a substantial step forward to be a difference maker at DE in the base; unfortunately I don’t see him taking that step. My realistic hope for him is he becomes a difference maker in the nickel and dime (2 DL formations) rushing the passer. Same for Mike Daniels who I think has a good shot to become a really good DL in the nickel and dime.

BTW, some are pessimistic about Nick Perry and at this point their point of view is as valid as those of us who are more optimistic about him. If I shared the other view, I’d emphasize the need for an OLB but I think Perry has a chance to be very good – he just needs to stay healthy and really want it. They need better play from their ILBs but I think there’s a good chance that can come from the current roster – Bishop, Smith, Manning, perhaps Lattimore or Francois. I’ve posted more than once my opinion they need a better partner at safety for Burnett.

But if I had to list their number one need it would be a great 3-4 DE. If Neal continues to improve he could take over one DE spot the newcomer the other and Pickett could backup Raji at NT, reducing each of their snaps and improving the D up the middle.
I hold more hope for Daniels in base than I do for Neal. I don't foresee Neal taking over in base unless his run D improves a lot. But DE is spot on, it's a huge need. We may actually see 7 DL on 53 roster this year IMO.

Manning I hold hope for at ILB. I think he could come back as our best cover ILB, though that isn't saying much. Speed is now a premium for me.

Safety we need another playmaker. Burnett has potential, but he needs somebody with at least as much range as he has preferably more to really maximize his game. We have a plethora of box safeties on this squad, and nobody with true range. McMillian has potential, but I don't like him getting too far away from the LOS and I don't think that'll ever change. If we can put someone legit next to him, Burnett could become legit himself. Just a shame this year's draft doesn't have more rangy playmakers in it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
OLB depth is still suspect, we're going to have a situation at WR soon, TE is an underrated need, a complementary(or feature) RB should be addressed as well, backup C is a good idea. K will have some competition. LT, backup QB could both be addressed, but I'm still holding out hope there.

DL, S / RB, TE, WR / C, OLB, ILB / QB, LT, K, FB. Pretty much shakes out like that for me. We'll probably draft a CB because that's something TT likes to do. ILB LT and maybe TE can wait until next year, K FB (FB can wait a year too, if we even bother considering the all the TE getting reps back there) I'd rather not waste the pick on.

TimthePackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A better offensive line or line Coach which ever will get the job done. With Aaron Rodgers as our Qb we shouldn't have and O-line that has given up the most sacks over the last 5 years. Defense halp would be nice but if they can't stop us on offense I think this "D" would do better not having to play constantily.

OP
OP
13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't be unhappy with a more athletic LB either inside or outside or a DT like Cullen Jenkins was to help out Raji.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still holding onto hope that Sherrod will come into training camp fully healthy, win the LT job from Newhouse, and show why we took him in the first round. I realize that is a long shot, though.

Reaction score
Hoping Sherrod/Perry/Bishop comeback healthy and play great... that'll wipe out our major need for LT/ILB/OLB.

I'm thinking a Pass Rushing DE/Run Stuffing NT/A quality rotational OLB(better than Walden)/A fast safety/A guy that can play OT or Guard/A kicker/ Best Receiver or Running back available in the draft...so, idk.
Direction I'd like our draft to go (I have no clue who/or what's coming from the 2k13 class) - so?
1.DE 2.HB 3.OLB 4.FS 5.OT 6.NT 7.Kicker ....I'd be a horrible GM.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A better offensive line or line Coach which ever will get the job done. With Aaron Rodgers as our Qb we shouldn't have and O-line that has given up the most sacks over the last 5 years. Defense halp would be nice but if they can't stop us on offense I think this "D" would do better not having to play constantily.

I couldn't have said it better. Even probably losing Woodson now, our DBs are fairly decent. The front 7, especially the D Line needs help, but O Line should be the priority - preferably somebody with some size and a mean streak. I've always thought this scheme based on smaller more mobile O Linemen is the culprit for the sacks and hurries and also for the below average running game.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
We need (in this order) O-Line, physical defensive players who can tackle and don't blow coverages, RB, WR, and a TE.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This blog titled, Packers decision on Woodson made long ago, makes a good point about the hole at safety, even if Woodson would have returned: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191438421.html
Much has been made of the need for more physical players, but little has been written about the need for speed in the back end, something the Packers have desperately needed ever since Nick Collins suffered a career-ending neck injury in Week 2 of the 2011 season. If you want to know part of the reason why Minnesota RB Adrian Peterson kept bouncing plays outside without any resistance, San Francisco TE Vernon Davis was able to make a huge play down the seam against a single-high safety look and no one could catch 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick, look no further than the void left by Collins. The Packers may be able to patch things up with M.D. Jennings, Sean Richardson or Jerron McMillian and hope Burnett continues to make strides, but they weren't going to move forward with Woodson locked in at safety for another season. If he was still on the team, which coach was going to tell him he was going to be a backup and / or inactive? …It's possible Woodson will be able to continue his career somewhere else, but the Packers need safeties who can cover one-on-one, gamble less in order to make big plays and stay healthy. And they need to acknowledge that it's time to move on, something they didn't do with Driver.
Caveat - I haven’t spent any time at all looking at the 2013 draft class so with that disclaimer: If the Packers’ first rounder can earn a starting spot at DL or OL that will be fantastic. With the return of Bulaga, Newhouse and hopefully Sherrod I think it’s unlikely an OT at #26 in the first round would accomplish that. IMO there’s a much better chance for a DL to and that’s why my preference in the first round is a DL. What makes safety intriguing is what I think is a better chance for an instant starter, playmaking safety to be available at #26 than an OL or DL. However, Thompson did find a fantastic safety in the second round of the 2005 draft.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-Line. We have an elite quarterback that we can't protect. What can be more important than that? The problem with the O-Line isn't just going to go away.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
O-Line. We have an elite quarterback that we can't protect. What can be more important than that? The problem with the O-Line isn't just going to go away.
Last two OL taken in 1st round were tackles and ended the season on IR. No first round pick will budge EDS or the guards out. Thus, unless one of the tackles don't come back and the pick can beat out both Newsome and Barclay, it would be a wasted pick if you are looking for an immediate starter.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm still voting for defense first. Improving the O-line won't keep the 49ers from putting up 45 points and 600 yards against us in the playoffs again, and if we can't stop that, we aren't going any farther than we did last year.

I feel like there is some hope for the O-line internally. Bulaga will be back, and we will see how guys like Sherrod and Datko do with hopefully having fully recovered from long term injuries.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten is right: if Rogers goes down, it won't make any difference how good- or bad- our defense is. Game over. The offensive line has to become a dominant unit, which has never occurred under the present line coach. Maybe he's had nothing to work with, but 11 of the 15 offensive line draft picks under TT are still in the league. Someone should have been able to mold 5 of them into a unit.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kitten is right: if Rogers goes down, it won't make any difference how good- or bad- our defense is. Game over. The offensive line has to become a dominant unit, which has never occurred under the present line coach. Maybe he's had nothing to work with, but 11 of the 15 offensive line draft picks under TT are still in the league. Someone should have been able to mold 5 of them into a unit.

I think I would be more on board if the O-line was the reason we got pummelled by San Francisco, but it wasn't. They did a pretty solid job, actually I don't know how we can realistically throw the same D out there next year and expect different results.

Understand that Rodgers is never going to be a QB near the bottom of the league in sack numbers. His playing style doesnt allow for that. Its a cross we have to bear - the upside is very few INTs, the downside is more sacks and injury risk.

So throwing 1st round picks at more of them every year is never going to solve the problem IMO. Thats what we've doing most of the last few years for the most part.

There are still guys on the roster (Datko, Sherrod) with high developmental upside. If you see a nice G/C in the 2nd-4th round and want to pull the trigger though, I certainly wouldnt have a problem with it.

Members online

Latest posts