What do the packers do at WR?

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm looking at the packers draft needs, and one area they seem loaded is at Wide Receiver. Here are the stats on these guys:

Green Bay
Donald Driver 6-0 190 lbs 82 Rec 1048 Yds
Greg Jennings 5-11 197 lbs 53 Rec 920 Yds
James Jones 6-1 207 lbs 47 Rec 676
Ruvell Martin 6-4 210 lbs 16 Rec 242 Yds (Didn't have the most snaps cause he wasn't Green Bay's best Receiver, so I can forgive his limited production, but he did make an average of a catch a game he did play in)
Koren Robinson 6-1 205 lbs 21 Rec 241 Yds (Was suspsended early in the season, but made the most of his touches after Week 9, but again not a huge WR)
Shaun Bodiford 5-11 186 lbs 1 Rec 13 Yds (was on IR I believe)
Carlyle Holiday 6-2 217 lbs (Was on IR)

Of those I believe Martin's contract is up, not sure if he's worth extending, and Koren has a Year left. Holiday's contract may also be up, but he had a chemistry with Favre, and I think he could be retained even on the practice squad, but who knows.

Obfvious, Jennings, Jones, and Driver have to stay they performed pretty well last year, but who is #4 and #5 with our offense you gotta figure they need at least 4 or 5 WRs. Is it Bodiford? Holiday? Koren Robinson? Or ruvel Martin? I don't have an answer there :/ What do you guys think?

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hadn't realized Holiday had such good size.

If all goes normally, I can't forsee a scenario where we have a different 5WR set than we had all season long.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R. Martin is the big receiver The pack needs to stretch the field, hopefully he just keeps getting better and better. Wasn't Holiday the emergency QB before getting hurt?
That opens up a roster spot if he also can stay healthy, we won't need a 3rd qb.
As was said earlier, keep them all they are only going to get better with time!!!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team needs to get better in various areas.

I see some serious trade bait in the Packers WR. Corps. Simply because they are loaded at W.R.

I think Koren Robinson would be marketable as trade bait to address some areas that the Packers need to improve on.

Make R.P. .. T.T.... For a week.... I am going to put Koren on the market and see what he can bring in.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno RP, KRob and Favre have developed a pretty damn good chemistry in the short time they've played together.

I remember in the Giants game Koren ran had burned his man and there was no safety help and had Favre not been hit just as he released it, it would've been an easy TD; completely changing the game. Alas, it was only a 16 yard gain.

I think if anyone gets bumped it will be Ruvell as much as I hate to say it. His skill set is coveted by many teams.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but Koren has little if any trade value at this point. His comeback is a nice story so far, but his troubled history negates any major trade value he might have had in the past. I wouldn't want to trade him though in all honesty. A full training camp to start the season (assuming he stays out of trouble) could make him much more valuable then he was even in '07 as a kick returner.

I'd say we sit tight with our current receiving corp and let them continue to develop. Driver probably still has a couple more years of being able to play at a #1 receiver level and Jennings and Jones can only get better considering their relative youth. Koren will provide some quality depth at the 4 spot for next year at least, and then let Martin, Holiday, Bodiford, and Francies battle it out for the 5th spot. I could see us taking a project receiver on day two of the draft, and we'll probably have a couple of UDFA receivers in for camp.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but Koren has little if any trade value at this point. His comeback is a nice story so far, but his troubled history negates any major trade value he might have had in the past. I wouldn't want to trade him though in all honesty. A full training camp to start the season (assuming he stays out of trouble) could make him much more valuable then he was even in '07 as a kick returner.

I'd say we sit tight with our current receiving corp and let them continue to develop. Driver probably still has a couple more years of being able to play at a #1 receiver level and Jennings and Jones can only get better considering their relative youth. Koren will provide some quality depth at the 4 spot for next year at least, and then let Martin, Holiday, Bodiford, and Francies battle it out for the 5th spot. I could see us taking a project receiver on day two of the draft, and we'll probably have a couple of UDFA receivers in for camp.

Yared-Yam said:
I dunno RP, KRob and Favre have developed a pretty damn good chemistry in the short time they've played together.

I remember in the Giants game Koren ran had burned his man and there was no safety help and had Favre not been hit just as he released it, it would've been an easy TD; completely changing the game. Alas, it was only a 16 yard gain.

I think if anyone gets bumped it will be Ruvell as much as I hate to say it. His skill set is coveted by many teams.

Now you both know why I am not the GM of the Packers and only a hack typing away here on this great forum.

R.P.

OP
OP
V

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the problem is, that Holiday was oN IR, We had a few player son IR and you only get 53 Roster Spots. I'd love to keep what all we have, but I think anything more then 5 WRs is just over kill personally, especially given that we have TEs that can catch the ball too.

I think unless someone offers a good trade you keep Driver, Jennings, and Jones. #4 That leaves Martin, Koren, Holiday and Bodiford to fight over the #4 and #5 slot. Koren may have an edge due to his Special Teams Play. I'd not be surprised to see us trade someone though. I don't see us holidng on to all 7 WRs.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver, Jennings, Jones, and Robinson are locks for the 53-man roster next year. Assuming Koren has truly learned his lesson and doesn't do anything stupid during the off-season or training camp, he's going to want to prove himself by playing out the final year of the two-year contract he signed for a chance at a much better contract in '09, so you know he's going to come into training camp ready to play.

Martin's biggest advantage has always been his size. It's pretty much a big reason he's been on the active roster the past two seasons. Holiday has kind of bounced around in his NFL career and you know he's going to want to find a permanent home somewhere if he can, and he does bring the small upside of an emergency QB in case the Packers only go with Favre and Rodgers again next year. The jury is still definitely out on Francies and Bodiford at this point. Both will be entering their 3rd NFL seasons in '08 and are out of practice squad eligibility, so it's either active roster or bust for them next year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
R. Martin is the big receiver The pack needs to stretch the field, hopefully he just keeps getting better and better. Wasn't Holiday the emergency QB before getting hurt?
That opens up a roster spot if he also can stay healthy, we won't need a 3rd qb.
As was said earlier, keep them all they are only going to get better with time!!!

Yes, Holliday was our 3rd QB.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver, Jennings, K-Rob, and Jones are locks. Their jobs are secure. Why K-Rob? Because he and Favre have developed a strong chemistry.

I wouldn't rule out Holliday. Favre and Holliday seem to have some chemistry together.

Martin may be the odd man out, but we'll see. We might keep 6. I actually hope we do.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why K-Rob? Because he and Favre have developed a strong chemistry.

I have a feeling that Brett is going to hang it up. I think he will say enough is enough with the off season work. I think he will go out on top. Even though he did not get the 2nd Superbowl.

I have a feeling.... A feeling deep down inside, that Brett is going to retire.

This makes K-Rob trade bait.

R.P.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will keep atleast 6 WR on roster. I don't see any FA coming in at WR, but one may get picked in the draft if the player and pick position is correct.

If Ruvell or any other WR is let go it will only be because we have someone better.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Why K-Rob? Because he and Favre have developed a strong chemistry.

I have a feeling that Brett is going to hang it up. I think he will say enough is enough with the off season work. I think he will go out on top. Even though he did not get the 2nd Superbowl.

I have a feeling.... A feeling deep down inside, that Brett is going to retire.

This makes K-Rob trade bait.

R.P.

Really? I think it will be after the end of '08.

This is the thing - before, his reason for quitting is he felt that he wasn't the same Brett Favre. Well, '07 proved he still had it.

If he hangs it up now, I think it will be due to saying enough is enough (taking all those hits).

Well, I guess we'll know in 2 weeks. And yes, if Brett retires, Robinson's time with the Packers may be over. I think Aaron and Driver and Jennings are on the same page, but I don't think Aaron has that chemistry with Robinson.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it a NICE "problem" to have though? Too many good WR's? I think we will keep them all......if Favre stays.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see TT use one of them in an effort to trade down in the draft. Like Cheesey said, its a good problem to have, especially considering last offseason we were worried about the WR spot.

Latest posts