What did we learn in Week 2?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't usually agree with Greenblood, but......after that series of 3 consecutive runs that got stuffed for negative yardage, I too would have to go to a pass attack to keep the clock going. I my self played 13 years of football and now have coached my sons team for 6 years. I wouldn't have run that ball 3 times for negative yards. I say a screen pass would have been my 2nd play. 1st = draw, 2nd=screen( strong side) 3rd= sweep run....but that's just me.

Greenblood expanded the arguement to include the whole series. My arguement was that the first play, the play from which the interception was thrown, should have been a run. Packers had to get the clock started. Simple as that.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said he didn't. I said most of those yards came when we were mixing up the offense.

Are you telling me that it is not a FACT that we rushed for -1 yards on the next possession after the INT? You go to the game log and look at that possession and then tell me again we didn't have -1 on 3 carries.

Is it not a fact that the Packers, as a team, averaged 3.8 yards per carr for the game?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real point here is regardless of what you deem to be the "correct" call. MM is not responsible for that INT because Rodgers had the option of sliding if his man wasn't wide open, did he not?

I never solely blamed MM. I blamed MM, JJ and Rodgers. All three share the blame, 33.3% each. MM for the play call, Jones for running the wrong route and Rodgers for the pass. It is a SHARED blame.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never solely blamed MM. I blamed MM, JJ and Rodgers. All three share the blame, 33.3% each. MM for the play call, Jones for running the wrong route and Rodgers for the pass. It is a SHARED blame.

Sure, whatever you say man. :rolleyes: Have a cookie.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you alright? Grown men usually aren't this emotional... Do you want to talk about it? :(

Who gave you the idea that grown men don't get emotional? If you don't get emotional then there is something fundamentally wrong with you (a fact that you've already established.) I get emotional about things that matter. But stomping a mental ant like you under foot? Nah... nothing emotional about that. I consider it entertainment.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who gave you the idea that grown men don't get emotional? If you don't get emotional then there is something fundamentally wrong with you (a fact that you've already established.) I get emotional about things that matter. But stomping a mental ant like you under foot? Nah... nothing emotional about that. I consider it entertainment.

Soooo you don't want to talk about it?

You weren't this bold when you private messaged me asking for a truce.

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Soooo you don't want to talk about it?

You weren't this bold when you private messaged me asking for a truce.

:laugh: Seriously? It was YOU who sent a PM :cry: "Uncle" Are you off your meds again? :confused::confused: For someone who's so in control of his emotions, you sure take some awfully mundane things WAY too personally.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:laugh: Seriously? It was YOU who sent a PM :cry: "Uncle" Are you off your meds again? :confused::confused: For someone who's so in control of his emotions, you sure take some awfully mundane things WAY too personally.

You're really starting to worry me... So to refresh your memory:

1. Ready to grow up yet, moron?

GreenBlood, Yesterday at 12:51 AM

1. GreenBlood said:

Ready to grow up yet, moron?

I didn't think you'd get so emotional

JenningsLongCatch, Yesterday at 1:14 AMReport

1. I'm not.

GreenBlood, Yesterday at 1:24 AMReport

1. GreenBlood said:

I'm not.

OK
JenningsLongCatch, Yesterday at 1:35 AMReport

OP
OP
GreenBlood

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You're really starting to worry me... So to refresh your memory:

1. Ready to grow up yet, moron?

So let me get this straight, telling you to grow up privately so as to spare you some of the shame you've inevitably brought upon yourself is tantamount to asking for a truce? :cautious:

Reaction score
Breaking News

Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano has discovered a new desperation strategy for the final seconds of a football game.

In the event that the Buccaneers' opponent intends to allow the game clock to wind to within, say, 0:05 and then kick a game-winning field goal, Schiano has instructed his defense to repeatedly make contact with the offensive line every time the teams line up so as to draw an encroachment flag. The defense has been told to do this ad nauseam until the opposing team is finally exasperated and decides to run a regular offensive play.

"It's good, tough, clean, hard-nosed, thick-skulled football," Schiano said. "We've run this play... oh... in five years we've given up four touchdowns, so the strategy is obviously working. We just need to play better defense when we get in that situation. We won't change the way we play. We will continue to smash our heads into the wall until it works. That's what toughness is all about."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ's head was NOT up his ***. How about we actually look at the play? Jones had his route cut off and instead of forcing his way in front of the CB, he slipped behind when Rodgers thought he was able to get to his spot. There was fault for both of them. Jones should have cut his route off short, Rodgers should have recognized that the route was disrupted.
Exactly as I thought too. Often times the QB and receivers cut off routes when things get busted up. When it works they look like heros and when it doesn't, things look bad. Jones should have run his route better but when he correctly recognized that the CB had jumped the route, he broke off to go behind the CB. However, Rodgers was more correct because that was the called play. So I don't think that anyone did anything wrong per se, they just weren't on the same page. These guys aren't robots programmed only to run the programmed play. If one wanted to (and I'm not advocating this), you could blame the INT on Rodgers' throwing ability that made him think that he still could get that pass into JJ arms DESPITE the CB jumping the route.

I don't mind these kind of plays happening in a blowout game like this. If anything, it gets Jones and Rodgers on the same page for a more critical situation later in the season. I have a feeling that I'll be digging this post out later in 2012 for an I-told-you-so

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Listen to the first 5-6 minutes of "Tuesdays with Aaron". Although Rodgers says he and Jones weren't on the same page on that INT, he also says by the time Jones adjusted his route the ball was already released. When that happens - a CB jumps the route - the WR's job is to "turn into a CB" and knock the ball down. Obviously even an offensive pass interference call would be preferable to an INT. Rodgers hasn't been as pinpoint accurate as he was last year so part of the slow start on O is his fault but I don't fault him at all for that pass (there was no reason for him to slide IMO). BTW Rodgers apologized to Jones for going off on him on the field and Jones responded, 'no need to apologize'.
http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=71&c=1191&f=732521

Beyond that, after years of reading his stuff and listening to him, I respect Jason Wilde. I don't completely agree with anyone but I do respect Wilde's point of view and opinions. As a beat writer he spends as much time in the Packers locker room as any outsider and if you listen carefully you get an idea of players he likes/respects a lot and those he doesn't. He has a very high opinion of Jones - he calls him a standup guy because he accepts responsibility for his screw-ups. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Jones was more consistent and more sure-handed. But there's a reason Rodgers went to bat for him when his contract was up.

BTW IMO Rodgers is generally pretty interesting on the show and talks about the evolution of the Tampa 2 D on this show which I thought was particularly interesting.
- - - - -
It's not my place to post this (but I am anyway) as I've gotten into some arguments here that have gone on way too long too. But I think a good rule of thumb is on your third post on the same subject, if you aren't substantively expanding, answering, or clarifying a point, it's time to finish by offering to give the other poster the last word on the subject.

MLB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real point here is regardless of what you deem to be the "correct" call. MM is not responsible for that INT because Rodgers had the option of sliding if his man wasn't wide open, did he not?

IMHO:

(A) Given those particular game circumstances, the running play was the correct call.

(B) Rodgers threw the ball, not Mike. Rodgers elected to throw...not to run, not to slide.

A "pick"? I think it's almost always on the QB. Sometimes, the receiver may be to blame for an interception...but the Head Coach (or the Offensive Coordinator) shouldering the blame? Never.