What are your true thought's on MM

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning 12 games/year for ten straight years, a Super Bowl win and two Super Bowl appearances still won't convince me that Tony Dungy is a great head coach. Some coaches fall into great situations (Peyton Manning; Aaron Rodgers). Winning hides a lot of deficiencies, especially in a team sport like football. McCarthy's play-calling is enough to drive anybody crazy. I will probably never put him in the pantheon of great coaches. I'm just hoping Ted Thompson surrounds him with the right players and assistant coaches to keep winning.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning 12 games/year for ten straight years, a Super Bowl win and two Super Bowl appearances still won't convince me that Tony Dungy is a great head coach. Some coaches fall into great situations (Peyton Manning; Aaron Rodgers). Winning hides a lot of deficiencies, especially in a team sport like football. McCarthy's play-calling is enough to drive anybody crazy. I will probably never put him in the pantheon of great coaches. I'm just hoping Ted Thompson surrounds him with the right players and assistant coaches to keep winning.

I think there's something to be said about managing superstar players. I think McCarthy does excel at that aspect.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Tony Dungy not a great coach??? Your right about some coaches fall into great situations. Chucky is a prime example. He got the team Dungy built before moving to the Colts and won a Superbowl.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
MM is a great coach. He is not a perfect coach. I hope for a Super Bowl every year but that is just not going to happen. MM's legacy with this Franchise is far from over and I for one am very happy to have him faults and all.

Old NFL saying: if you think like a fan you become a fan.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great leader of men.
Good offensive teacher technique-wise.
Creative play caller-hits more than he misses and will take chances
Sometimes arrogant with play calling- stick with what is working instead of thinking every single package you have is great
Success has created a stubborn loyalty to his players and staff. Just because you did it once does not mean you are entitled to do it again. Clean the slate mentally every season and don't let personal feelings and the fact that these coaches and players won a title cloud your vision for each separate, unique and totally different season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Saying Rodgers fell into McCarthy's lap ignores the crucial role McCarthy played in developing Rodgers. Some here may not remember but Rodgers was (to be kind) not good when he arrived in the NFL, he required training and McCarthy and his staff should get ample credit for Rodgers' development. OTOH Favre fell into McCarthy's lap "ready made" but not Rodgers. And BTW, McCarthy should get some credit for getting Favre to take better care of the ball than usual (for him) in the 2007 season.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying Rodgers fell into McCarthy's lap ignores the crucial role McCarthy played in developing Rodgers. Some here may not remember but Rodgers was (to be kind) not good when he arrived in the NFL, he required training and McCarthy and his staff should get ample credit for Rodgers' development. OTOH Favre fell into McCarthy's lap "ready made" but not Rodgers. And BTW, McCarthy should get some credit for getting Favre to take better care of the ball than usual (for him) in the 2007 season.

I agree... McCarthy is a great quarterback coach. He is very good at developing young, offensive skill position players.

Latest posts