What are your true thought's on MM

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately that maybe MM is as much of blame for another early round exit then Capers. Yes the defense stunk again and Capers runs the defense but MM is the man in charge. Now you never try to undermine your coaches, but you have to add your two cents when you don't see something working and i just don't think MM is that type of guy.

I think the players generally like playing for the guy and he's a players coach but what if we have a great regular season again just to lose early in the playoffs for the third straight year? then how long does his leash become? I think the guy is average at best as a play caller and even worse when it comes to making in game adjustments but he seems to be a good motivator and he's got a ring. At the same time what has he done lately? Not saying fire the guy by any means but i think this team has underachieved.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if that happened, his leash would be no shorter -- it would also depend on circumstances of the season.

There are absolutely some improvements I would like to see out of MM in playcalling and in-game decision making. I think his strengths are in player development and it shows.

But a couple of things on that -- I know the team comes out flat every once in awhile, but you can say that about any team a few times a year. It happens. It's just impossible to keep up the same level of intensity for an entire season.

No head coach is going to be someone who pleases everyone, all of the time. So what do you look for? Well they need to be at least reasonably competent at what they do, and need to be someone that the players appear to respect and want to play hard for, and someone that can help them become better players. As far as I can tell, MM fits all those criteria.

We forget sometimes how good we have it as fans of this franchise. We never really had to go through a rebuilding phase after Favre left, and TT and MM had this team turned around from salary cap hell back to a playoff team within 2 years after Sherman was canned.

As for the early playoff exits the last two years, where we're at right now, we're a perennial playoff contender that can reasonably expect to be in the playoffs every single year, which is exactly what you of course need to have to be a Super Bowl contender. I don't know that we could really ask for more. It's damn hard to win a Super Bowl, and it's supposed to be. You have 31 other teams that are all trying to get to the same place you are. Some very good coaches, like Reid, and Jeff Fisher, have never won one, and maybe never will. Even Bill Bellichick, considered by many to be head and shoulders above any other coaching staff in the NFL, hasn't been able to win one in over 8 years.

You're not going to win in the playoffs every year, it's just too competitive of a league, but we have a very good foundation in place. Most teams would love to be able to have the chance that we have every year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
MM is an offensive genius that gets caught in a rut every now and again, and sometimes tries to get too smart for his own good. He's also loyal to a fault. He's been our playcaller since he got here, and he's done a fine job of it for the most part. Adam hit the nail on the head. We're in the hunt every year, God forbid we revert to the Pre-Holmgren era. Teams would KILL to be us. The sky is not falling.

H

HardRightEdge

As a lifelong Braves fan, I would compare MM to Bobby Cox. Both outstanding managers/coaches in nearly all respects, except for the 3 hours when the games are played. MM is not a good in-game tactician; at some point I'd like to see him relinquish the play calling.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he gets too cute when he's trying to maintain a lead, or come back from a deficit. I think it comes from an inflated sense of the coach's ability to control the game with play-calling.

That's my biggest fault, and it's pretty minor. He's a top-tier NFL head coach.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he gets too cute when he's trying to maintain a lead, or come back from a deficit. I think it comes from an inflated sense of the coach's ability to control the game with play-calling.

I'll buy that, but I have heard the same thing said about Holmgren, Shanahan, Belichick, Sean Payton, pretty much every fan base has complained of this.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike has to win more than one to be considered above Vince and Curly. Winning just one will put him in the same company as Holmgren.

Should he be tougher on players when they make mistakes, miss assignments, and when they don't play with enough intensity? Not privy to the locker room. I have my suspicions however.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a very high opinion of McCarthy. I feel like he abandons the run game too often... I also feel he makes adjustments way too late in the game. The best example is the Seattle game this year. Bruce Irvin literally made Brian Bulaga his b$tch. Irvin was pinning his ears back and rushing straight up field on every play. Instead of running the ball (Packers had three first half rushes) or giving Bulaga help, he left him on an island the entire first half. The adjustments always seem to be slow.

You could look at the playoff game vs. San Francisco too. The Packers never adjusted to Kapernick killing the defense with runs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree 1,000%... MM loves to go five-wide when he has a lead and needs to milk the clock.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is I think MM has too much loyalty.
Case in points: Mason Crosby & Dom Capers.

Teddy wanted Gregg Williams first. Dom Capers was his "fall-back".
I think we've seen enough of Capers' system.
Who's improved on defense?
Seriously?

These guys played against the speedy-legged Kaepernick like they had planned all week to face an old pocket passer like a Philip Rivers or Peyton Manning. They looked 100% clueless. They looked like they were given no film on the QB.

And Crosby?
Almost all of us would have cut him at about 3 different points last year.

Crosby, and Capers, are paid to be top-10 guys at their positions/jobs. And they are far from it.

Crosby needs to go not only because he sucks balls, but also because we could get a better, younger kicker and save about $2 million/year I believe. That's money we could use elsewhere.

Reaction score
I have also heard a lot of the opposite reaction of yours. That he needs to be more aggressive with a late lead, when he chooses to run the ball and gets some 3 and outs.
It's all hindsight bias. We run the ball too much. We need to pass more. He was to agressive, he was too conservative. In the overall scheme of things we usually have a top 5 offense and are in the playoffs every year despite injuries and adversity. That's good by my standards.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
My biggest complaint is I think MM has too much loyalty.
Case in points: Mason Crosby & Dom Capers.

Teddy wanted Gregg Williams first. Dom Capers was his "fall-back".
I think we've seen enough of Capers' system.
Who's improved on defense?
Seriously?

These guys played against the speedy-legged Kaepernick like they had planned all week to face an old pocket passer like a Philip Rivers or Peyton Manning. They looked 100% clueless. They looked like they were given no film on the QB.

And Crosby?
Almost all of us would have cut him at about 3 different points last year.

Crosby, and Capers, are paid to be top-10 guys at their positions/jobs. And they are far from it.

Crosby needs to go not only because he sucks balls, but also because we could get a better, younger kicker and save about $2 million/year I believe. That's money we could use elsewhere.
MM wanted Capers, so that's who we got. A coach who MM respected told MM that if he could choose his DC he would take Capers, it left a big impression.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't have a very high opinion of McCarthy. I feel like he abandons the run game too often... I also feel he makes adjustments way too late in the game. The best example is the Seattle game this year. Bruce Irvin literally made Brian Bulaga his b$tch. Irvin was pinning his ears back and rushing straight up field on every play. Instead of running the ball (Packers had three first half rushes) or giving Bulaga help, he left him on an island the entire first half. The adjustments always seem to be slow.

You could look at the playoff game vs. San Francisco too. The Packers never adjusted to Kapernick killing the defense with runs.
Can you really blame him for putting the ball in AR's hands? I'd like to see more of the kind of balance we displayed in certain games this year, and adjustments need to improve, but I put that more on the OC not bugging MM's ear more (IMO because he agrees too much with MM as a QB coach and believes entirely too much in AR)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
What do I think of McCarthy? Oh...I don't know... 2 North Division Championships, 2 NFC Championship games, a Super Bowl win ... in what 5 years?

H

HardRightEdge

There were 4 teams in the league then no? ;)

No.

I guess the smiley face is supposed to indicate an attempt at humor.

For your information, the answer is 12, 11, 11, 9, 10, 10.

When thinking about these quaint, old timey legends of the game, it's helpful to remember there wasn't much money in playing, coaching, or owning. These guys were in it for love of the game.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you really blame him for putting the ball in AR's hands? I'd like to see more of the kind of balance we displayed in certain games this year, and adjustments need to improve, but I put that more on the OC not bugging MM's ear more (IMO because he agrees too much with MM as a QB coach and believes entirely too much in AR)

I don't blame him at all, but the first half of the Seattle game is inexcusable. Some times he relies too much on Rodgers.

Members online

Latest posts