What are you learning from the combine?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look...you wanted to debate Combine numbers and draft position relative to eventual performance, as though measureables should not matter. Pro Days are essentially the Combine 2.0 with a heavy concentration on measureables like Combine 1.0. I don't know how that's not obvious.
If you want to discuss a different topic I would suggest starting a different thread about that. Just a suggestion.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly matters to a degree but c'mon, let's be realistic. I "get it" that scouts look for certain things that most average fans don't see... but... there is no way anyone is going to tell me that some of these drills do very much to differentiate one guy from the next. Like others have said, doing it on the field is what matters. There is no way I'm buying that game film doesn't have 10 times the value.

H

HardRightEdge

It certainly matters to a degree but c'mon, let's be realistic. I "get it" that scouts look for certain things that most average fans don't see... but... there is no way anyone is going to tell me that some of these drills do very much to differentiate one guy from the next. Like others have said, doing it on the field is what matters. There is no way I'm buying that game film doesn't have 10 times the value.
The idea is that the performance in the drills should sync up with the eye tests applied to the film. If there is a disconnect, then more work needs to be done.

For example, something as basic as Pryor turning out to be 5'11 instead of 6'2" while posting a less than impressive
34 1/2" vert and a 4.58 forty might cause one to go back and examine more closely what happened when he was defending the bigger and faster college receivers. It might turn out, after all the Combine numbers are in, that he happened to avoid those situations by happenstance or perhaps design.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea is that the performance in the drills should sync up with the eye tests applied to the film. If there is a disconnect, then more work needs to be done.

For example, something as basic as Pryor turning out to be 5'11 instead of 6'2" while posting a less than impressive
34 1/2" vert and a 4.58 forty might cause one to go back and examine more closely what happened when he was defending the bigger and faster college receivers. It might turn out, after all the Combine numbers are in, that he happened to avoid those situations by happenstance or perhaps design.
I understand and I can agree with that. All I'm saying is, many of the drills are actually pretty funny to watch when a person actually considers that the "goal" is to differentiate players. Some of the drills I clearly can see how they might impact status.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts