What are the odds James Jones gets cut before Driver???

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see why metallicblaze posited the question. Driver is a proven leader and routinely delivers, albeit less so in recent years. He was the only receiver to show up in the playoff loss to the Giants. However, I think that you have to give a big edge to Jones' youth and potential if he ever pulls the top of his body out of the lower part of his body.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love Driver and he is a great player and an even better human. But you have to be realistic - his best years are behind him and his abilities are going to continue to decline. Why throw out a good player who can still be good for another 5-6 years for one who can only be good for maybe another year?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Next to none. If Jones still struggled with his hands like he did in 2010, then Driver would have a better chance. But Jones fixed the drops, he's younger and right now he's more productive

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really really hate to see DD retire in a different jersey. If the Packers do let DD go I won't be surprised to see a team pick him up & give him a 1 yr contract.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really really hate to see DD retire in a different jersey. If the Packers do let DD go I won't be surprised to see a team pick him up & give him a 1 yr contract.
This is the part that really makes me think twice about his whole situation. If I knew he would retire if he was cut then I would be 100% all for it. He's just one guy I cant stand to think of seeing wear another jersey.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the part that really makes me think twice about his whole situation. If I knew he would retire if he was cut then I would be 100% all for it. He's just one guy I cant stand to think of seeing wear another jersey.
Some people it's easy to picture in another jersey. Some you wish you could see in another teams jersey. DD isa guy you would dislike tremendously to see him in another jersey

packa7x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more the businessman in me says HELL NO. I frickin LOVE Driver. The dude has been one of my favorites since he took that endaround vs Minny for a TD in 99 or 2000. It just doesn't make sense to let go of a guy who will help beat us for 5 years for a guy who will situationally help us.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance.
Jones has a bright future with us, and he's got a very bargain contract for what he's capable of delivering, which we saw with touchdowns in 2 playoff games in the magical 2010 run. Jones, Jordy, and Jennings are staples, the J-Crew. And then so is Randall Thrill Cobb, so 4-deep young.

#5 is probably between Tori Gurley and the youngster Dale Moss. Moss will probably be kept on the practice squad, or else they will find a way to IR him to protect him on our roster.

Does anyone think that the only and best solution to "The Driver Dilemna" is to have him retire now as a Packer, and keep him on as a WR coach- or something like what they tried to offer Benedict Farve before he decided to stick it to Teddy and leave?

I think Donald saw what happened, and really doesn't want to go anywhere else.
Hines Ward just saw that light too and retired. Steelers didn't have room for him anymore, and instead of leaching on with a crappy team of WRs like the Rams or Jaguars, he painfully called it a career.
Donald would make a great coach.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance.
Jones has a bright future with us, and he's got a very bargain contract for what he's capable of delivering, which we saw with touchdowns in 2 playoff games in the magical 2010 run. Jones, Jordy, and Jennings are staples, the J-Crew. And then so is Randall Thrill Cobb, so 4-deep young.

#5 is probably between Tori Gurley and the youngster Dale Moss. Moss will probably be kept on the practice squad, or else they will find a way to IR him to protect him on our roster.

Does anyone think that the only and best solution to "The Driver Dilemna" is to have him retire now as a Packer, and keep him on as a WR coach- or something like what they tried to offer Benedict Farve before he decided to stick it to Teddy and leave?

I think Donald saw what happened, and really doesn't want to go anywhere else.He would have to be the assistant WR coach to Edgar Bennett if GB agreed w/it
Hines Ward just saw that light too and retired. Steelers didn't have room for him anymore, and instead of leaching on with a crappy team of WRs like the Rams or Jaguars, he painfully called it a career.
Donald would make a great coach.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, it's about time for a counterpoint. I'd say 50:50
I say keep Driver,cut Jones.

Jones still has potential. As last year and the year before and.......continue 'til his draft day comes up again.
Jones could play 5-6 years IF he stays in shape like DD does and IF he unwraps his potential.
I doubt JJ can reach his potential, I doubt he will rise to the challenge of "father time"
and I doubt he can ever be a leader, like DD is.

Here's my suggestion: Keep the leader for another year, cut the "underachiever" (woo, that's a bit harsh!! ;) )
and get the young guys in the game (Cobb, Borel, Gurley, Moss, or any possible draft pick in 2013)
We might loose a bit at the slot receiver position, but we gain a lot with DD being a leader, a role model.
Let's get him another ring and let him ride into the sunset.
GO PACK!!

Reaction score
I torn on this. I really want Driver to stay with the Pack for 1 more year. Yet, Between Moss and Gurley, there is no room. If I was Ted or McCarthy I wouldn't be able to make a decision. That's why Ted is the GM and when he has no clue what to do, he goes with age.

Members online

Latest posts