What an Idea!

D

Dan115

Throw in one more idea for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium: Have the public buy shares in the team, enabling them to own a piece of the Vikings and help finance a stadium.

The community ownership idea has been floated before but Rep. Phyllis Kahn, DFL-Minneapolis, said Monday she would introduce legislation to require Gov. Mark Dayton and the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission to work with the National Football League to make it happen. The commission owns the downtown Minneapolis Metrodome, the team’s home for nearly 30 years.

“Dayton asked for all ideas to be put on the table and that’s exactly what I’m doing here,” said Kahn. “No single idea [for funding a new stadium] has gained enough traction to pass the Legislature.”

The funds from selling stock in the Vikings, said Kahn, could go toward helping the team build a new stadium. She added that, under her plan, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and his family could retain a 30 percent controlling interest in the team.

The proposal would be patterned, in part, on the ownership structure governing the NFL's Green Bay Packers.

Kahn said she introduced similar legislation in 2005, when the Minnesota Twins were pushing for a new, publicly-subsidized stadium, and the proposal had 34 authors in the House. The legislation did not pass, and the Twins’ new Target Field was funded in large part by a countywide sales tax increase in Hennepin County.​
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Community ownership is not an option as it's expressly forbidden by the NFL. The Packers are the only exception since they're grandfathered in.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A bake sale.
Or why don't they hold fundraisers or try and get veterans and fans to send in contributions they way universities do with their alumni?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Community ownership is not an option as it's expressly forbidden by the NFL. The Packers are the only exception since they're grandfathered in.
That’s right and thank goodness: The NFL knows best! Look at the mess community ownership has caused in Green Bay. The team has hardly any fan base at all. When was the last time it sold out its stadium? The team must be nearly bankrupt with virtually no hope of profitability. How could it possibly compete with the billionaire owners? When was the last time it won a championship? Why would any player, coach, or GM want to be part of such a franchise?

Ah yes, the wise elders of the NFL know best: Community ownership doesn’t work in their league. Look at poor little Green Bay. Why would a professional sports league want its franchises to emulate that model of ownership?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[quote="How could it possibly compete with the billionaire owners? When was the last time it won a championship? Why would any player, coach, or GM want to be part of such a franchise?

Ah yes, the wise elders of the NFL know best: Community ownership doesn’t work in their league. Look at poor little Green Bay. Why would a professional sports league want its franchises to emulate that model of ownership? [/quote]

Keep in mind without shared revenue in the NFL, the packers would cease to exist in the long term. And yes, would go bankrupt.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Keep in mind without shared revenue in the NFL, the packers would cease to exist in the long term. And yes, would go bankrupt.
Don't be throwing facts around like that. Each team exists at the whim of the other 31 owners. Any team can be disbanded according to NFL rules. Even the Packers. For that matter, any team could be moved at the whim of the other owners. Even the Packers. Without revenue sharing there would be about 20 teams in the NFL and about 5 that would be competitive.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be throwing facts around like that. Each team exists at the whim of the other 31 owners. Any team can be disbanded according to NFL rules. Even the Packers. For that matter, any team could be moved at the whim of the other owners. Even the Packers. Without revenue sharing there would be about 20 teams in the NFL and about 5 that would be competitive.

the quote implied sarcastically that small markets would survive, or did so tongue in cheek. Disband a team that the Super Bowl trophy is basically named after its most famous coach? No. The NFL won't have that. Why not throw facts like that around, it is called reality.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
the quote implied sarcastically that small markets would survive, or did so tongue in cheek. Disband a team that the Super Bowl trophy is basically named after its most famous coach? No. The NFL won't have that. Why not throw facts like that around, it is called reality.
Sarcasm does not do well on these boards for some reason. But I know what you are talking about. Every fan of every team thinks nothing will ever happen to their team. Packer fans are so set that they could never be moved or disbanded I have had people tell me I don't know what I am talking about. But facts are facts. Each depends on the other 31 to exist. The fact that the Packers are owned by the fans does not protect them from the same rules that govern the other 31 teams. Technically as a stock holder, you are not allowed to gamble per NFL rules. I love that one. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
the quote implied sarcastically that small markets would survive, or did so tongue in cheek.
No, the quote implied sarcastically that community ownership works. That's the issue addressed; Green Bay just happens to be in a small market.

MNPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll tell you from someone that lives in Minnesota the Vikings will do whatever it takes to get a new stadium. They will tax the hell out of everyone here just so that their mediocre team can have a state of the art facility... to house all of their lombardi trophies of course

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll tell you from someone that lives in Minnesota the Vikings will do whatever it takes to get a new stadium. They will tax the hell out of everyone here just so that their mediocre team can have a state of the art facility... to house all of their lombardi trophies of course
Hell has finally frozen over?
That's news to me.

Members online

Latest posts