Were we the only ones to see the truth?

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SI.com has Sharper listed as the #9 overall safety in the NFL!?!

What gives? Do people forget?

"9. Darren Sharper, free safety, Vikings: Minnesota is excited by his presence in its secondary. Until Reed came along, Sharper was the game's best ball-hawking safety, a player with great range, ball skills and the ability to bait quarterbacks. Green Bay thought his game was slipping enough that they had to cut him for salary-cap relief, but so far the Vikings think they have a prize. He'll team with Corey Chavous to give Minnesota one of the savviest safety combinations in the league."

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, the #9 safety in all of football comes up whiffing on Moe Williams during the playoffs as he scampers down the sideline for a TD. I don't think anyone would have argued that ranking a few years back but his best days are behind him.

Self-Proclaimed: Darren "Nobody's Sharper" Sharper
Truth: Darren "Nobody's Mouthier" Sharper

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I believe that his better days have past, I can't help but get the thought out of my mind that he could be 100% healthy for the Vikes and better than he has been the last couple years for us.

Lets pray that my thought is just that . . . a passing thought.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the reason everyone is so critical of Sharper is for the reason you suggest Yount....

He sure missed his fair share of tackles and was injured a lot, but we all knew that there was some talent that the Pack weren't getting out of him.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
SI.com has Sharper listed as the #9 overall safety in the NFL!?!

What gives? Do people forget?."
No no one probably remembers him or thinks of him when he was in GB....Now that he is a viking they are paying more attention. I had also heard that he was the biggest free agent signing in the NFL this offseason. I dont agree with that either

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I think the reason everyone is so critical of Sharper is for the reason you suggest Yount....

He sure missed his fair share of tackles and was injured a lot, but we all knew that there was some talent that the Pack weren't getting out of him.
I still dont think we got it all from him. But remember how bad he was in 96 in the superbowl year? He was like what Baujh Jue....Dont have any clue how to speel his name ;)

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sharper hasn't been Darren Sharper since LeRoy Butler retired. Now he has some help, but he's past his prime. He never really liked to tackle and he was out of position 90% of the time. And, of course, the perpetual injuries.

The Vikings can have him...especially at what they are paying him.

The only thing he has going for him is his motormouth...and the Vikings can have that, too.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Darren Sharper hasn't been Darren Sharper since LeRoy Butler retired. Now he has some help, but he's past his prime. He never really liked to tackle and he was out of position 90% of the time. And, of course, the perpetual injuries.

The Vikings can have him...especially at what they are paying him.

The only thing he has going for him is his motormouth...and the Vikings can have that, too.
I would also be that the Vikings attempt to change, or terminate, his bigtime contract pending their successes thru this Season.

But, I also had a thought.... Darren was pretty popular with the ladies... most likely still is... YET, he is now in a new location, and away from his former gaggle of girls.. which would leave him left with only football to really pay attention to... No dis-respect to the guy.. as a man... but maybe his social life in and near the Packers was more of a distraction than most of us thought.. Course, now that he's back in the BIG CITY.. he could get even more distracted... heheh -- at any rate, an earlier comment got me to thinking about why he was more lackuster in Green Bay than what all the hype is trying to push at us.

I'm like the rest of you - he was out of position on 4th&26 - and he is not so willing to go out and lay a hard tackle on someone - he had a tendency to grab guys around the shoulders and hug 'em to death as opposed to dropping 'em where they stood - and would get carried with that Player for another 5 yards or more at times...

I'm wondering if his previous injuries (on grass) will have any affect on his playing ability (on turf)... ???

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On turf he will have to get out of the way of the running back quicker. :lol: :wink:

Members online

Latest posts