We're on the right track

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a lot of folks who were disappointed after the loss to the Giants in the CG. I'm not at all disappointed and am in fact very proud of my Packer team. We're on the right track. Two years ago, we were 4-12. One year ago, we were 8-8, but barely. Our ST sucked and our offense looked sluggish that year. We won the last four games pretty much because of our D.

This year, we went 13-3 and were a field goal from going to the Super Bowl. HUGE improvement. Our STs went from sucking to being in the top 10. Our O was #4 and our D was #6. That's pretty good. All we need now are a few offseason tweeks and we can win the big one.

Offense

QB, RB, and WR are all in great shape. I'd LOVE to pick up a dominant OT or OG, one who doesn't need help. This alone can be the key that takes us from #5 to #1 in O. I'd like to see another TE addition for depth. I think the one thing holding us back from being the best O in the NFL is our OL. It needs some tweeks. With a few tweeks, I can honestly see Grant rushing for 1500+ yards and Favre surpassing 30 TDs again, like he used to. I think our red zone problems are due to our OL. It's good, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying it's the part of our O that could use improvement the most. Our QBs are top tier, our primary RB was #2 in the 2nd half of the season, and our WRs are probably #2 in the NFL. It's our OL that's keeping us from being #1.

Defense

Not resigning Corey Williams would be stupid. I don't care if you think Harrell is developing. Fine. Having too many talented DTs is a problem you WANT to have. Kampman did look a little worn down by the time Playoffs came around. We also need some depth behind him.

Barnett and Hawk are solid. Poppinga needs improvement against good TEs. Hopefully Hodge will be the real deal when he comes back next year and we won't need another LB.

We need more depth at DB. There's a big drop off after Harris and Woodson. Bigby looks like he may develop into a playmaker, but I really think the thing that's holding back our Safeties is coaching, not talent. Bigby, Collins, and Rouse have the skills to be solid, but sometime are out of position. Plus, we need depth just in case the injury bug hits us (KNOCK ON WOOD!).

STs

Much improved. Of all of our units, this one got the most improved from the year before. I'd rather not see Woodson back there taking punts unless it's due to injuries to our other PRs. Koren is due to bust one and our K & P won't need replacing.

Coaching

MM is a top tier coach, but there is someone on the coaching staff that needs to go and I think we're all on the same page to who it is.

Summary

Keep building from within. Pick up a free agent or two in the offseason. Sign Corey Williams. If I were TT, I'd actually let Grant know that we'll be reworking his contract after next season and let him know we want to keep him long term. We're only two or three tweeks from winning the Super Bowl last year. We might even be only a Desmond Howard away from winning it all. I can't wait until next year starts. We're on the right track and looking good. Packer fans need to be proud of this team.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's our OL that's keeping us from being #1

Absolutely! One dominant beast of an O-Lineman would make the whole line want to play harder. I'd also really like to see some added depth to our secondary. Maybe get some more depth in the DE position too; let 'em rest a bit!

Good post :)

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the coach that needs to go?

I'd say the DC, but there's people who say we need consitency in the DC position. Okay, fine. Then at the very least, the DB coach needs to go. We have way too much talent in the secondary to have such a rigid approach to coverage (ie: "We're getting beat by playing bump-and-run, maybe if we keep playing the same way, something will eventually change." - which also happens to be the definition of clinical psychosis.).

kiddikkarus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the biggest reason I was able to endure the loss last week. As much hope as I had for that game, I have equal hope for the years we have ahead. I'll be interested to see what TT does.

I hope he does somehow sign Corey Williams. Talk about the essence of team. We have a chance to really come back next year with the same strength of a team we had this year, only with a whole lot more experience. I'll be disappointed if Williams has to leave.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the OL needs to get better, but I'm not expecting any big signings. Consistency is important to an O-line, and we've seen guys like Wahle and Rivera who were late bloomers but turned out to be excellent interior O-linemen. The way to go might be to keep the guys we have and give them more time together.

It would be great to get Corey Williams back, but not at the expense of throwing off the salary structure. We've already got five D-linemen getting starter's money (two of them, KGB and Harrell, are non-starters). It might be a stretch to have six. That money has to come out of some other part of the team.

Overall, I agree that this team is in good shape.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are definitely on the right track.
The next few years should be tittalating for us packer fans.

I'd honestly be surprised if we don't finish above 8-8 for the next 3 or 4 years. I'm hoping we get an SB win in that timeframe as well. We should actually be in the Playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years easily. The thing is, there's a good chance of it happening too.

It's a wonderful time to be a Packer fan. I don't get what all this complaining and beating a dead horse is about.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

I'd honestly be surprised if we don't finish above 8-8 for the next 3 or 4 years. I'm hoping we get an SB win in that timeframe as well. We should actually be in the Playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years easily. The thing is, there's a good chance of it happening too.

It's a wonderful time to be a Packer fan. I don't get what all this complaining and beating a dead horse is about.

We're frustrated because we were so close and people vent. I don't think we played well at all in that game and still had a chance to win. The one thing I know is that the cold definitely affected the old man. I'm 39 years old and walking in from the parking lot here in Bismarck was not fun. It was 14 below and 30mph winds.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
yooperfan said:

We're frustrated because we were so close and people vent. I don't think we played well at all in that game and still had a chance to win. The one thing I know is that the cold definitely affected the old man. I'm 39 years old and walking in from the parking lot here in Bismarck was not fun. It was 14 below and 30mph winds.

My dad works in Williston Tuesday-Thursday
Williston right now -23. Low tonight of -33

It's -15 in Minneapolis, and i about died taking the dog out 15 minutes ago.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

And I bet the dog took 10 minutes to sniff and find the proper spot to pee. It's always like that when you're either in a hurry or if there are bad weather conditions. :(

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

And I bet the dog took 10 minutes to sniff and find the proper spot to pee. It's always like that when you're either in a hurry or if there are bad weather conditions. :(

he does it just too **** me off!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So we get the to NFC CG and want to fired the dc..look at when the D started to slide some in the season..

A few key players went on IR or did not play..

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me a madman, but why all the hate for Schott?

Regardless of #31 being Buress' whipping boy for a night, I'd bet over 3/4 of every player/coach/talent evaluator in the NFL would tell you we still have the best CB tandem in the league, if not top two.

Then look at where our starting Safety came from. Freakin' practice squadder and NFL Europa no-name his whole life, then gets a shot under schott (yes, pun was intended) and people are talking a possible '09 Pro Bowl if he carries his play into next season. That's coaching.

Nick Collins was a disappoinment until a relatively solid, albeit quiet, season this year.

All the "experts" said Rouse was a reach on the first day of the draft, that he's a project player, but when he steps into the middle of games people on the board are saying he looks start-ready. IMO, that's a direct result of sound coaching.

Then look at the guys playing nickel. Blackmon can't stay healthy, so we have two guys from the PS doing a decent job keeping things from blowing apart. They lack the raw talent and maybe the wide skill sets you hope for in a corner, but they're getting it done, IMO, because of good coaching.

That's just my take. We need better talent, not neccesarily different coaches in our secondary.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we get the to NFC CG and want to fired the dc..look at when the D started to slide some in the season..

A few key players went on IR or did not play..

Our D is a year or 2 from being a top tier D. I wouldn't change the DC.

To answer PIB - he looks lost out there. There's been a lot of talk that he has the job out of nepotism. I'm not claiming on being an expert, but to me, he does seem like he's the weakest link in our D coaching staff.

I wouldn't say we lack talent out there. I think we do have the talent in the DB positions, just need coaching.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Regardless of #31 being Buress' whipping boy for a night, I'd bet over 3/4 of every player/coach/talent evaluator in the NFL would tell you we still have the best CB tandem in the league, if not top two.

Then look at where our starting Safety came from. Freakin' practice squadder and NFL Europa no-name his whole life, then gets a shot under schott (yes, pun was intended) and people are talking a possible '09 Pro Bowl if he carries his play into next season. That's coaching.

Nick Collins was a disappoinment until a relatively solid, albeit quiet, season this year.

All the "experts" said Rouse was a reach on the first day of the draft, that he's a project player, but when he steps into the middle of games people on the board are saying he looks start-ready. IMO, that's a direct result of sound coaching.

Then look at the guys playing nickel. Blackmon can't stay healthy, so we have two guys from the PS doing a decent job keeping things from blowing apart. They lack the raw talent and maybe the wide skill sets you hope for in a corner, but they're getting it done, IMO, because of good coaching.

That's just my take. We need better talent, not neccesarily different coaches in our secondary.

That sounds like a pretty fair argument to me. However, with all the talent we have at LB and Corner's, and even safeties, I guess some were just expecting a bit more. It'll happen next year =)

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

That sounds like a pretty fair argument to me. However, with all the talent we have at LB and Corner's, and even safeties, I guess some were just expecting a bit more. It'll happen next year =)

Our Secondary is solid. It is not weak. We have the talent out there. What I'm seeing are people out of position. That's the coaching, not the players.

Players are chess pieces. Of course, some players are better than others. Randy Moss is a faster chess piece than someone like one of the Bear WRs. I think you know what I mean.

If the chess pieces are out of place, it's the coach's fault.

Bigby has the talent to be a Pro Bowler. Collins is acceptable. Rouse is going to be good. He's looked good in the short playing time he's had. Even our 3rd and 4th CBs are ok, they just need better coaching. They look bad because of coaching, IMHO. And Woodson and Harris are at the level where they don't need much coaching. They know what they're doing out there.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I'd bet over 3/4 of every player/coach/talent evaluator in the NFL would tell you we still have the best CB tandem in the league, if not top two.

pack_in_black said:
...possible '09 Pro Bowl if he carries his play into next season.

pack_in_black said:

Those are completely contridicting statements.

You just said we have the best CB tandem in the league and a ProBowl quality safety, plus another safety who's just had his best season ever, and even a 3rd safety who had a year worthy of a starting position, but that we don't have enough talent.

You're giving all credit for their talent to the coach, but putting all the blame for the mistakes on them? How does that make sense? You're completely lopsided.

To me it looks like we have nothing but raw talent and there's no one around the mold it into what it could be. Atari is having a huge season because they're finally letting him play. He played in a total of 6 games with ZERO starts between 2005 and 2006 and this year, since he was picking up the slack after Collins injury, he started 14 games and had a great season.

The secondary coach sucks. I say ditch him.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with ZombieSlayer. We don't have marginal players, for the most part. TT has used his talents to stock the team with good prospects. It's up to coaching. For the last few years we have been saying the Packers will be a Top 5 Defense (at least i have!) and they aren't. We have seen flashes, but not consistency. Consistency is developed by good coaching.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I'd bet over 3/4 of every player/coach/talent evaluator in the NFL would tell you we still have the best CB tandem in the league, if not top two.

pack_in_black said:
...possible '09 Pro Bowl if he carries his play into next season.

pack_in_black said:

Those are completely contridicting statements.

You just said we have the best CB tandem in the league and a ProBowl quality safety, plus another safety who's just had his best season ever, and even a 3rd safety who had a year worthy of a starting position, but that we don't have enough talent.

You're giving all credit for their talent to the coach, but putting all the blame for the mistakes on them? How does that make sense? You're completely lopsided.

To me it looks like we have nothing but raw talent and there's no one around the mold it into what it could be. Atari is having a huge season because they're finally letting him play. He played in a total of 6 games with ZERO starts between 2005 and 2006 and this year, since he was picking up the slack after Collins injury, he started 14 games and had a great season.

The secondary coach sucks. I say ditch him.

It's not contradiction, cause I was talking about the talent level of the players around Woodson/Harris. If Bigby was a player with all this raw, easily accessible talent he would've been able to break into the Jets or Dolphins' starting lineups (look at their secondaries, lol); it's the coaching/talent evaluation here that got him to use it. "letting him play" is a form of coaching. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't know the proper technique and your personal responsibilities inside the scheme, you don't win and keep a starting position for long.

I'm not looking for a fight, but you took what were intended to be honest thoughts on our secondary pretty far out of context. Maybe I'll explain it all better when I get some time, but I tried to be very clear in providing my line of thought.

Members online

No members online now.