We're good, we're not elite

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:
I don't understand all this "If Brett isn't perfect, we lose." Brett has been a huge reason we have been winning, but not the only one. He played awful last night. Kyle Orton-like. Seriously, the guy had 8.9 passer rating when he out with the injury. Aaron Rodgers came in and scored 17 points against this D. The amount of quality receivers is just as big as Brett playing well.

Ryan Grant had a 94 yard game on the ground, without the benefit of running out the clock like he usually does. Brett had to carry this offense for the first half of the year, but Grant is legit, and takes a huge weight from Favre's shoulders.

Stop with this Brett is the team. Our D played horrible, in addition to injuries, and that is why we lost the game.

Agreed, Brett does not need to be perfect - he needs to be smart - and last night he was not. We can ***** all we want about Brett and the DB's - and yes they were bad last night, but games are won and lost along the line of scrimmage and Dallas had their way with us last night on both sides of the ball.

I would agree that if you want the simple version of why we lost it is because we lost on the line of scrimmage. Now I will add that Brett did not play very well and when they got up on us 27-10 it put our "0" line in a bad place because Dallas bringing it at that point.

Your offensive line has a tendancy to look worse when your down like that and defense is stacking the pressure. It's not a coincidence that the offensive line played better after Rodgers pulled a couple rabbits out of the hat and got the score closer.

Funny how that works.

I wouldn't go throwing the offensive line under the bus after winning 14 out of sixteen games. They can't be all that bad. I certainly would not get in that line. BEFORE it was that they couldn't run block but in the last several games they proved that wrong as well.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
gopackgo said:
I don't understand all this "If Brett isn't perfect, we lose." Brett has been a huge reason we have been winning, but not the only one. He played awful last night. Kyle Orton-like. Seriously, the guy had 8.9 passer rating when he out with the injury. Aaron Rodgers came in and scored 17 points against this D. The amount of quality receivers is just as big as Brett playing well.

Ryan Grant had a 94 yard game on the ground, without the benefit of running out the clock like he usually does. Brett had to carry this offense for the first half of the year, but Grant is legit, and takes a huge weight from Favre's shoulders.

Stop with this Brett is the team. Our D played horrible, in addition to injuries, and that is why we lost the game.

Agreed, Brett does not need to be perfect - he needs to be smart - and last night he was not. We can ***** all we want about Brett and the DB's - and yes they were bad last night, but games are won and lost along the line of scrimmage and Dallas had their way with us last night on both sides of the ball.

I would agree that if you want the simple version of why we lost it is because we lost on the line of scrimmage. Now I will add that Brett did not play very well and when they got up on us 27-10 it put our "0" line in a bad place because Dallas bringing it at that point.

Your offensive line has a tendancy to look worse when your down like that and defense is stacking the pressure. It's not a coincidence that the offensive line played better after Rodgers pulled a couple rabbits out of the hat and got the score closer.

Funny how that works.

I wouldn't go throwing the offensive line under the bus after winning 14 out of sixteen games. They can't be all that bad. I certainly would not get in that line. BEFORE it was that they couldn't run block but in the last several games they proved that wrong as well.

I agree that the line cannot be horrible, otherwise we would not have won 10 to this point. However, they were beaten badly last night from the opening gun. Colledge was the weakest link, but all were routinely handled by the Dallas defenders, it did alleviate somehwat in the second half, but it seemed like Dallas blitzed less frequently and we were keeping TE and backs in for help.

Also, I tend to think that football is a fairly simple game, so if you can control the line of scrimmage that makes everything else you want to do that much easier and gives you a much greater opportunity to win ballgames. Last night both lines failed to hold up there end of the bargain and we lost - simple.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
spardo62 said:
gopackgo said:

Funny how that works.

I agree that the line cannot be horrible, otherwise we would not have won 10 to this point. However, they were beaten badly last night from the opening gun. Colledge was the weakest link, but all were routinely handled by the Dallas defenders, it did alleviate somehwat in the second half, but it seemed like Dallas blitzed less frequently and we were keeping TE and backs in for help.

Also, I tend to think that football is a fairly simple game, so if you can control the line of scrimmage that makes everything else you want to do that much easier and gives you a much greater opportunity to win ballgames. Last night both lines failed to hold up there end of the bargain and we lost - simple.

As I said, I agree we lost the war in the trenches and on both sides of the ball. Having said that it does not happen often and I am not going to concede that this means the Cowboys will do this again next time. Especially if KGB gets back in. #70 for them has trouble with speed guys and pushing Romo towards Kampy is a good thing.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is that we're a pretty darn good team. Our defense didn't play well enough for us to win the game. Rogers did a hell of a job. We've got good receivers and a nice running back. Favre is great, last night he was human. I have no reason to believe that we can't run the table and end the season with two losses. Who would have imagined that at the beginning of the season? But we have some flaws and we have some holes to fill to get better. That's not a bad thing. I wouldn't be afraid to play them again in Dallas because it wasn't where we played them, it's how we played them.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which teams are elite in the NFL? I'd say that at worst we are the 2nd best team in the NFC and a top 6 team overall.

Pats, Colts, and Cowboys.

We're the 2nd best team in the NFC though

EDIT: I take back what I said. If we go 14-2 this year, we are an elite team, despite the poor showing against the Cows.

Eluded

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The O-line pass blocking was not bad at all when Rodgers was in there.

It's was quite simple if you really fully watch the game and pay attention to what happened. Wade Phillips said that when a new unexperienced QB come in, you play coverage and not blitz him and allow him to make mistakes by playing more coverage. He said it's his fault for not making adjustment correctly and should have kept blitzing and attacking. So that's why in the 2nd half, there was no blitz, a normal 4 man rush. That's what allow Rodgers to sit comfortable in the pocket. Rodgers could be good, but Dallas made bad adjustment when Rodgers came in. Because if a QB is not average or good then he would made mistakes even without pressure. But Rodgers did made plays, so that's why Phillips messed up. Hope that answer all your concern about your O-Line.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aytumious said:

It's was quite simple if you really fully watch the game and pay attention to what happened. Wade Phillips said that when a new unexperienced QB come in, you play coverage and not blitz him and allow him to make mistakes by playing more coverage. He said it's his fault for not making adjustment correctly and should have kept blitzing and attacking. So that's why in the 2nd half, there was no blitz, a normal 4 man rush. That's what allow Rodgers to sit comfortable in the pocket. Rodgers could be good, but Dallas made bad adjustment when Rodgers came in. Because if a QB is not average or good then he would made mistakes even without pressure. But Rodgers did made plays, so that's why Phillips messed up. Hope that answer all your concern about your O-Line.

That makes our OL look even worse what you said.

Rodgers got sacked 3 times, and was running for his life several other times. If they weren't blitzing and still getting through our OL, then our OL needs some serious work in the off-season.

Romosexual

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
warhawk said:
spardo62 said:
gopackgo said:

Funny how that works.

As I said, I agree we lost the war in the trenches and on both sides of the ball. Having said that it does not happen often and I am not going to concede that this means the Cowboys will do this again next time. Especially if KGB gets back in. #70 for them has trouble with speed guys and pushing Romo towards Kampy is a good thing.

No. 70? Davis is the RG. Maybe you got him confused with Flozell Adams. Either way, KGB should be kept in check. I hope he plays so you can see just how well the offensive-line is playing. Marc Colombo was doing his thing against Kampman too. We've played better pass-rushing teams than the Packers and did great. If it was as easy as you say, "pushing Romo towards Kampy", then it would've happened by now.

Romosexual

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy is still around.

Strange.

And you're worried about it? Even stranger. Just get off my d***. If I wasn't wanted here then I wouldn't have been accepted.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is that we're a pretty darn good team. Our defense didn't play well enough for us to win the game. Rogers did a hell of a job. We've got good receivers and a nice running back. Favre is great, last night he was human. I have no reason to believe that we can't run the table and end the season with two losses. Who would have imagined that at the beginning of the season? But we have some flaws and we have some holes to fill to get better. That's not a bad thing. I wouldn't be afraid to play them again in Dallas because it wasn't where we played them, it's how we played them.

I liked your original post and this one too. The Packers got put in their place on Thursday night, but the talent level between the Packers and Cowboys is still pretty even, I think. I could see the Packers beating them in Dallas in the playoffs, if it comes to that. I hate it that they gave Dallas a big psychological edge for the next game, but the Packers could go a long way toward cancelling that out by finishing the season strong.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I liked your original post and this one too. The Packers got put in their place on Thursday night, but the talent level between the Packers and Cowboys is still pretty even, I think. I could see the Packers beating them in Dallas in the playoffs, if it comes to that. I hate it that they gave Dallas a big psychological edge for the next game, but the Packers could go a long way toward cancelling that out by finishing the season strong.

I think if we are the team we think we are... the coaching staff and the players will use the game as motivation next time around... for as poorly as we started we stayed in the game.

The Cowpoke fans come on here with the reasons we stayed close.. but watching the Cowboys sideline.. the coaches and players were worried for a while in the fourth..

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I strongly believe in psychology and morale.

I think it's imperative that we win out and win several of the games by gross margins.

I don't want to see a single close game from here on out. We better dominate, so morale will be high come playoff time.

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night's game showed me that we're not an elite team yet. We're 10-2 and very fortunate to be that good. Bigby, Bush, and Collins showed why we're not elite. Collins and Bush can't cover and Bigby is a penalty waiting to happen on every play. He and Harris, as good as they can be, play out of control and when their head gets in the way they lose. The offensive line isn't where they need to be, to be an elite team.

We clearly know how important Brett Favre is to this team. We're not an elite team because if Brett doesn't play his best game, we're in trouble. The "old" Brett showed up last night. The Brett that didn't make good choices, that forces the ball.

The lack of an impact linebacker also hurt us last night.

I guess the bottom line is that in big games like this your best players play their best. Ours didn't. And still it was a game. There is hope. This is a team that is growing and needs to be fine tuned. It's not an awful team, but we're not as good as our record either. WE learned we have a good back up quarterback. Grant can play. Our receivers are good, but what wil make them great is catching the ball all the time.

I'm not going to jump off the bridge on this game. I am however aware that we're not an elite team, at least last night.

I kinda agree and disagree.. we are a solid team. but to be elite we have to beat the best teams out there..the real test is gonna be when brett is gone. thats when we gonna see what this team is about. :pop:

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aytumious said:

I did watch the game and pay attention, thank you. Rodgers was blitzed several times, and Dallas was using their usual front of having several guys in a blitz position prior to the snap.

Dallas brought 6 on the TD to Jennings. They blitzed Roy Williams on a 15 yarder on 3rd and 11 to Jennings. They blitzed Williams again on a 3rd down conversion to DD.

Those are just a couple examples of the pressure they were using in key situations, and, as mentioned, they played their blitz front basically the entire time Rodgers was in there to give him and the O-line different pass protection looks.

You said you watched the game so I'm surprised you didn't notice.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eluded said:
Aytumious said:

I did watch the game and pay attention, thank you. Rodgers was blitzed several times, and Dallas was using their usual front of having several guys in a blitz position prior to the snap.

Dallas brought 6 on the TD to Jennings. They blitzed Roy Williams on a 15 yarder on 3rd and 11 to Jennings. They blitzed Williams again on a 3rd down conversion to DD.

Those are just a couple examples of the pressure they were using in key situations, and, as mentioned, they played their blitz front basically the entire time Rodgers was in there to give him and the O-line different pass protection looks.

You said you watched the game so I'm surprised you didn't notice.

So, I guess Wade Phillips is a liar.

They also got that awful horror of a freak show, Darren Colledge, out of the game....the O-Line play was a little better for Rodgers.

Or...didn't you see that?
:lol:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I think if we are the team we think we are... the coaching staff and the players will use the game as motivation next time around... for as poorly as we started we stayed in the game.

The Cowpoke fans come on here with the reasons we stayed close.. but watching the Cowboys sideline.. the coaches and players were worried for a while in the fourth..

I heard Collinsworth say I think during the pre game that the Packers didn't have the same sense of urgency that Dallas had. They felt like they could come back to Dallas and win if they had too but Dallas on the other hand did not want to go to Green Bay. That could be why Dallas looked more fired up and looked like they wanted it more. At least that's the vibe I got from watching the players.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elite.....we're 10-2, i believe the same as the Colts? If we finish stong, and go into the playoffs healthy, we should be able to beat anyone.
Only time will tell.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Elite.....we're 10-2, i believe the same as the Colts? If we finish stong, and go into the playoffs healthy, we should be able to beat anyone.
Only time will tell.

I have a good feeling now that we'll win out.

14-2 is elite. If anyone says otherwise, they need to stop sniffing glue.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Only time will tell.

SD was ELITE with Marty as well

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also got that awful horror of a freak show, Darren Colledge, out of the game....the O-Line play was a little better for Rodgers.

Or...didn't you see that?
:lol:

What is the point of this post? You are trying to be condescending without even arguing against anything I've posted.

The O-line played a hell of a lot better when Colledge went out. When did I say otherwise?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
cheesey said:
Only time will tell.

SD was ELITE with Marty as well

Last year, yes. If coached correctly, they would have easily won the SB.

Members online

Latest posts