Welcome Back Ahman Green

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that he's with the veteran million but I'd let him tryout for the team

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120517/PKR01/120517127/1057/PKR

Green Bay's all-time leading rusher Ahman Green says he would come out of retirement if an NFL team presents the right opportunity.
The 35-year-old Green said Thursday he's in excellent shape physically but also quite content in retirement. Green last played in the United Football League in 2010 for his hometown Omaha Nighthawks.
His most recent stint in the NFL came during the 2009 season, when he returned to the Packers in midseason and played in eight regular-season games and one playoff game after being cut by the Houston Texans.
Green was cut by the CFL's Montreal Alouettes last June after he showed up at training camp with a hamstring injury.
Green said he isn't "actively seeking an NFL job," but he would listen if approached.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see anyone going out of their way to pick up a 35 year old halfback at any price.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
We are having enough trouble dealing with Drive at his age, I doubt Green although admired from some would be a a fit to our RB scheme. Though in a way he would, he would seem like the laggin wheel.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He just wants to play special teams. If he really wants to be around the team that bad he should consider coaching.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Pipe dream for Ahman. He should start thinking about coaching maybe start out at the college level but playing in GB. Nope

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot see this happening, but part of me would like to.
There is precedent age-wise at the position: Tony Richardson was used sparingly at RB for the Jets in 2010, at age 39.
The larger issue for Green is how long he's been away from the NFL.
I miss having a truly electric running back, Green was perhaps the best the team had seen since Jim Taylor.
Green was often dismissed as a fumbler (and he did do that at some inopportune moments), but surprisingly Taylor had 33 career fumbles to Green's 34 (on just 40 more carries).

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green would probably be used sparingly. I don't see TT signing him. Even if our RB'a do good this year I believe we'll need to draft a RB no later than the 3rd rd. I know it's dreaming but dreams do come true,If we could get a RB 3/4 as good as Barry Sanders that would be SWEET.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green would probably be used sparingly. I don't see TT signing him. Even if our RB'a do good this year I believe we'll need to draft a RB no later than the 3rd rd. I know it's dreaming but dreams do come true,If we could get a RB 3/4 as good as Barry Sanders that would be SWEET.

Having any sort of running game would actually slow down our offense

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a ridiculous notion IMO. We have been having a legit discussion on whether or not it makes sense to bring 29 year old Grant back. One of the reasons not to is it may make more sense to devote that roster spot to a youngster with upside. Bringing Ahman back makes no sense.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...but it could mid-season if we have a bunch of injuries. My guess is that Green wouldn't want to compete in training camp anyway

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having any sort of running game would actually slow down our offense
You have to have a running game to open up the passing game. IMO that's why Marino never won a SB was b/c they didn't have a good running game. Yes we won SB XLV but we also had a decent running game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to have a running game to open up the passing game. IMO that's why Marino never won a SB was b/c they didn't have a good running game. Yes we won SB XLV but we also had a decent running game.

Both of those things are false. Clearly you don't need a running game anymore, look at the teams in the playoffs and in the SB the past few years.

As far as Dan he was drafted by a team that the year before made the SB off of its run game. His rookie year they churned out over 2,000 yards on the ground and continued to run the ball well for a decent part of his career. He never had a big name back but instead went by committee. To say he never won a SB bc of the run game is a cop out. The reason Dan Marino is ringless is bc he sucked in the post season.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of those things are false. Clearly you don't need a running game anymore, look at the teams in the playoffs and in the SB the past few years.

As far as Dan he was drafted by a team that the year before made the SB off of its run game. His rookie year they churned out over 2,000 yards on the ground and continued to run the ball well for a decent part of his career. He never had a big name back but instead went by committee. To say he never won a SB bc of the run game is a cop out. The reason Dan Marino is ringless is bc he sucked in the post season.
Look at the NYG's. They had a decent running game & won th SB. SB XLV we had a decent running game & won the SB. The Saints had a decent running game in SB XLIV & won. Is 3 examples enough.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the NYG's. They had a decent running game & won th SB. SB XLV we had a decent running game & won the SB. The Saints had a decent running game in SB XLIV & won. Is 3 examples enough.
Is 3 enough? well they would have to be true first....

I have done this before but I will do this again. The following is the teams that made it to the SB the past few years and their rank in rushing next to the team.

Giants (32nd!!!) vs Pats (20th)
Packers (24th) vs Steelers (11th)
Saints (6th) vs Colts (32nd)
Steelers (23rd) vs Cards (32nd
Giants (4th) vs Pats (13th)
Colts (18th) vs Bears (15th)

Only 2 teams in the past 6 years have made the SB with a top 10 rushing offense.

Rushing is outdated in todays NFL.

Members online

Latest posts