Week 2 - Redskins

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not all on the defense. For the Packers to win this game they can't have 5 3-and-outs and 2 turnovers. Packers scoring drives were also quick and didn't give the defense much of a blow.

The defense was on the field for a very long time against the 9ers, mostly because of the offense.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not all on the defense. For the Packers to win this game they can't have 5 3-and-outs and 2 turnovers. Packers scoring drives were also quick and didn't give the defense much of a blow.

The defense was on the field for a very long time against the 9ers, mostly because of the offense.
I agree, but the defense also has to get itself off the field

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense did what it had to do they put up 28 points on maybe the best defense in the nfl. Less three and outs would be great less turnovers too. I still find it hard to put the much blame on the offense. If the d could pull half their weight we win that game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Redskins fan here in peace. (unless you ask 13 time champs, who probably will accuse me of throwing excrement on him or something)

Hoping for a clean game with no injuries on either side. Redskins got sucker-punched the first half of last week. We'll see if it was just RG3's rust or a bigger underlying issue but they played better in the 2nd half. Given the predicament they were in (short fields, turnovers) the Redskins defense I think has improved over last year, but its still bottom 1/3rd of the league. Its why I think this game will be a shootout. I think both teams front sevens are good, but both have some big issues in the secondary.

I do expect a close game. If I had to guess I'd say 34-30 Packers, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Redskins win either. They're a better team than they showed Monday night, and typically play to the level of their opponents.

Also, Pierre Garçon is very good against Zone coverage, and much more elusive when he has the ball than people give him credit for.

I think it'll be fun to watch the pass-rushers in this game. Specifically Matthews and Kerrigan.

Since you mentioned me specifically I thought I'd make a few comments. The experience(s) I chronicled are true. I don't make things up.

I agree with much of what you said. I think your safeties are worse than ours if that's possible. This is being said with the expectation Burnett won't play, in which case we're better. You also have a corner problem. MeAngelo talks better than he plays. He's always trying to provoke something.

I think Capers will once again try to stop the run but he needs to get after RG III. He's a good pocket passer and would as you say have some success against a zone. I hope Capers doesn't accommodate him but your guess is as good as mine when it comes to Capers. :( I do think the Eagles were somewhat responsible for the better performance by RG III the second half as they went to a prevent zone.

I also expect a close game with the Pack prevailing of course.

We'll give you a good Redskins welcome: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-face-protests-at-lambeau-field-on-sunday/

Btw, why did you guys kill Lombardi. :(

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the disrespectful, racist, and derogatory name Redskins.
Based on that, I hope the Packers beat 'em big and I hope the Redskins never make it to another Superbowl and have losing after losing season until they change their terrible name.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense did what it had to do they put up 28 points on maybe the best defense in the nfl. Less three and outs would be great less turnovers too. I still find it hard to put the much blame on the offense. If the d could pull half their weight we win that game.
It has a big effect when your D is without its QB. That would be Burnett.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the disrespectful, racist, and derogatory name Redskins.
Based on that, I hope the Packers beat 'em big and I hope the Redskins never make it to another Superbowl and have losing after losing season until they change their terrible name.
I'm 1/4 Cherokee and 1/8 Shawnee. That makes me 3/8 native American and I don't find the name to be disrespectful, racist or derogatory in any way, nor do I need the PC police telling me that I should. I consider it an homage.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 1/4 Cherokee and 1/8 Shawnee. That makes me 3/8 native American and I don't find the name to be disrespectful, racist or derogatory in any way, nor do I need the PC police telling me that I should. I consider it an homage.
I agree with you, but then again I am a pure American/European ******, so my opinion carries no weight.

I just find it amazing that this name has been around for decades, and many many Native Americans have rooted FOR the REDSKINS for decades.

Now all of a sudden a small percentage of them.... oh wait, that's how it works in these times here now....

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect a fairly sloppy game.
I expect us to win pretty easily, and the talk of the nation after the game, after the Redskins go to 0-2, to be about RG3 and his knee.
They'll be asking if he came back too soon, if he's really healthy, problems with Shanahan, etc.

Of course, if we lose and go to 0-2, then that talk will be all about us, Rodgers, etc.

I read today that the Packers have never started 0-2 and made the playoffs.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
1. Best CB ever? Night Train Lane.
2. Barclay and Bakhtiari get no breaks.
3. Our secondary as a whole is better, but they have the advantage at ILB.
4. McMillian was referring to Collins' first 3 years. They were indeed rough.
5. Technically "Indians" could be considered offensive too.
6. I hope Capers paid attention to Davis' use of A gap blitzes last week. Quite frankly it's the key to stopping the Skins at the moment.
7. Please let Haz blitz Rodgers. Rodgers does enjoy eating a good blitz with a quick strike. It's how we went 15-1

Kerrigan91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch out for Orakpo, Kerrigan, and Stephen Bowen (my former next-door neighbor here in Frisco for 4 years he was a Dallas Cowboy).

http://packersinsider.com/2013/09/redskins-week-packers-must-stop-tremendous-trio-on-defense/

Anyone else here remember the last (only) time Rodgers faced Orakpo & the Redskins?
Here's a clue: Had Crosby made his last-second game-winning kick, none of it would have happened.
Good article. Bowen is indeed very good. I really like Orapko as a pure pash-rusher but I actually think overall Kerrigan may be a better football player in the other facets of a 3-4 OLB. Much less likely to get caught too deep in his rush, diagnoses plays, and handles coverage in the flats quite a bit better. Also is a turnover machine. Don't forget about Barry Cofield either. I had doubts about him being a DT in a 3-4 based on his size but hes been doing great sucking up two blockers and keeping the LOS.

Since you mentioned me specifically I thought I'd make a few comments. The experience(s) I chronicled are true. I don't make things up.

I agree with much of what you said. I think your safeties are worse than ours if that's possible. This is being said with the expectation Burnett won't play, in which case we're better. You also have a corner problem. MeAngelo talks better than he plays. He's always trying to provoke something.

I think Capers will once again try to stop the run but he needs to get after RG III. He's a good pocket passer and would as you say have some success against a zone. I hope Capers doesn't accommodate him but your guess is as good as mine when it comes to Capers. :( I do think the Eagles were somewhat responsible for the better performance by RG III the second half as they went to a prevent zone.

I also expect a close game with the Pack prevailing of course.

We'll give you a good Redskins welcome: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-to-face-protests-at-lambeau-field-on-sunday/

Btw, why did you guys kill Lombardi. :(
I only mentioned you because you made a sweeping statement about Redskins fans. I live in Buffalo, but go to at least one game a year there and haven't seen anyone treat anyone other than Dallas or Philly fans bad. Even then it was more humorous comments and nothing physical or really demeaning. I'd just say try not to judge the entire fan-base of a team based on drunk spectators.

Most teams tried to stop the run last year against us but it didn't work too well. #1 Rushing team in the NFL with teams loading the box, and not that much of it was really the read-option. The issue that plagued them was 3rd Downs so if you can get some third and longs you'll be in good shape. I just don't see either defense being able to do much. Our secondary is not good enough to stop Rodgers for much, but we should be able to stop the running game. The issue is Rodgers is so good that doesn't really matter. :(

Merriweather is actually saying he'll play which is shocking, so we'll have at least one safety upgrade. Last week they used EJ Biggers (a CB) at Safety for no good reason. Merriweather has a reputation, but he's a better SS than anyone else we have so him coming back is good news in my opinion. Our Rookie, Bacarri Rambo does take some bad angles which is concerning for a Free Safety for sure but it'll come to him with time. If the Giants ****** of an owner didn't give the redskins a 36mil Cap Penalty I'm sure the secondary would have some serviceable folks in it. Next year we get 18mil in cap room back so that is a positive (yes, they wont he NFC east last year with 18 mil less than the Giants, which was lovely after Mara's ********).

I'm hoping this game RG3 can get back into his form, but we'll see.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only mentioned you because you made a sweeping statement about Redskins fans. I live in Buffalo, but go to at least one game a year there and haven't seen anyone treat anyone other than Dallas or Philly fans bad. Even then it was more humorous comments and nothing physical or really demeaning. I'd just say try not to judge the entire fan-base of a team based on drunk spectators.

So a guy living in Buffalo can tell me about the Redskin fan base who goes to one game a year maybe? I've lived around Redskin fans on a daily basis for decades. My judgment of their fan base is not limited to one game at Fed Ex field. There are many more instances I could list.

Last edited:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. If the Giants ****** of an owner didn't give the redskins a 36mil Cap Penalty I'm sure the secondary would have some serviceable folks in it. Next year we get 18mil in cap room back so that is a positive (yes, they wont he NFC east last year with 18 mil less than the Giants, which was lovely after Mara's ********).

Funny stuff. Many people view Snyder as an ******.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score

IMO the biggest problem on offense was the two turnovers. It's difficult winning in the NFL when you lose the TO battle, particularly against good teams. The second biggest problem was the 3 and outs and that was made worse by the hurry-up offense. But IMO scoring TDs quickly is never a problem. Even though it puts the D back on the field quickly, it should also give them momentum.

Kerrigan91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude you came on here saying I would probably accuse you of pouring excrement on Me. WTF??? No, questioning where you live in the frame of a discussion IS not Personal. Saying someone is arrogant is. And implying someone is a liar when you said you think I could have been responsible for an altercation is as well.

And most fans of other teams are glad that Snyder and Jones got it hammered to them. Snyder has tried to live off the skills/abilities of other teams drafting and development for years. His free spending has done a lot to drive up the salary structure in the league.
I said that in jest thinking you couldn't possibly think all redskins fans were quite so horrible, but I now realize you likely do think that. That is fine with me, I'm not here to explain that an entire fan-base shouldn't be trashed because a few of them did something to you a couple times. I'll also take your word for it that you were sitting like an angel watching the game and these folks started harassing you unprovoked... numerous times in the dates you went to the games. Who knows when or how long ago this even was but it doesn't really matter. I could judge the entire Bills fanbase on a few bad eggs I've encountered but I'm not going to do that because I know better.

If you're happy they got whacked with the fine that is ok. Just remember that it just gives the NFL more power to do as they like without consequence later on. Something I'd really not like to see especially with Goodell in power. Eventually, it'll bite other teams in the butt too, and it could just be the Packers, you never know. Be happy the Redskins and Cowboys make the money they do, because without them teams like the Bills, Jaguars, and others wouldn't have the money to keep their lights on. Without them making the money, the league would likely be considerably smaller.

You didn't question where I lived, you dismissed me as a fan who would know anything because I currently live in a city that isn't within a specified range in your head to FedEx Field. It was just ignorant on your part. On top of that, I am a redskins fan, therefore I am pretty sure I have at least some say in how the fans treat others. If you're able to decide the entire fan base is crap based on some people who picked on you at a game, the people can also decide they're a great fanbase if they meet a few people who are nice to them. Regardless of their location.

If you lived in VA for a while, you must've not been up on Green Bay at all, or known how the fans acted, right?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said that in jest thinking you couldn't possibly think all redskins fans were quite so horrible, but I now realize you likely do think that. That is fine with me, I'm not here to explain that an entire fan-base shouldn't be trashed because a few of them did something to you a couple times. I'll also take your word for it that you were sitting like an angel watching the game and these folks started harassing you unprovoked... numerous times in the dates you went to the games. Who knows when or how long ago this even was but it doesn't really matter. I could judge the entire Bills fanbase on a few bad eggs I've encountered but I'm not going to do that because I know better.

If you're happy they got whacked with the fine that is ok. Just remember that it just gives the NFL more power to do as they like without consequence later on. Something I'd really not like to see especially with Goodell in power. Eventually, it'll bite other teams in the butt too, and it could just be the Packers, you never know. Be happy the Redskins and Cowboys make the money they do, because without them teams like the Bills, Jaguars, and others wouldn't have the money to keep their lights on. Without them making the money, the league would likely be considerably smaller.

You didn't question where I lived, you dismissed me as a fan who would know anything because I currently live in a city that isn't within a specified range in your head to FedEx Field. It was just ignorant on your part. On top of that, I am a redskins fan, therefore I am pretty sure I have at least some say in how the fans treat others. If you're able to decide the entire fan base is crap based on some people who picked on you at a game, the people can also decide they're a great fanbase if they meet a few people who are nice to them. Regardless of their location.

If you lived in VA for a while, you must've not been up on Green Bay at all, or known how the fans acted, right?

We have these things called smiles and winks that will indicate when you are jesting. I didn't see one with that post. So I took it as not in jest and I still don't believe it was. And if you say it was ignorant of me to question how you would know living in Buffalo so be it. It was a valid question in the framework of the dicussion. Try as you might you can't say it was anywhere close to the insults you have heaped upon me in the course of your posts. And I like the condescending nature in your last post that I was sitting there like and angel. :rolleyes:

And once again you focus on that episode at a game when I clearly stated I have other reasons and experiences with Redskin fans over many years as a basis for my opinions of them.

I'm not worried about Goodell or the other owners decisions affecting the fabric of the Game. It's ****** like Dan Snyder who could care less about the NFL that I'm worried about.

Yes I have been to 4 football games at Lambeau. Thanks for asking. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts