Week 10: LeRoy Butler analyzes Panthers-Packers game

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q. It has been reported that some of the Packers' defensive backs have set up incentives for their defensive line in which they'll pay cash or gift certificates if they'll keep the opponent from rushing for a specific number of yards. Did this happen when you were a player and is it ethical?

A. Oh yeah, we did that all the time. It was fun. We would put money in a pot and whoever got the interception would win the pot. If we held Barry Sanders, that one time we held him to negative yards, some of our offensive guys were giving us money. It's different if I get $100 bucks from like Brett Favre or Al Harris or Reggie White than getting 100 grand from the team. It's different. The guys are showing you how much they appreciate what you've done. I loved that. It's almost like you're playing a game within itself. There's more incentive when it comes from your teammate. It's like him saying, 'I need you this week. Every week I need you but this week is special. We have a guy who's coming in and has been destroying every team. We'll put some money in the pot and whoever gets a big hit or whoever stops him, great. Here's some cash.' When your teammates do something like that it makes you feel good. I think it's an awesome gesture.

Members online