We were better in this game than ANY game LAST year

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
I was listening to the game on the radio, on the Cards station, and they were pretty bad, except one thing I agreed with them. They really thought the way Favre looked he could play until he's 40. I think we should try to squeeze two more years after this out of him. The man still loves to play, and he still has it.

We'll see though. As you know, it's always drama before each season.

Yes, it should be interesting to see what Favre does next year. See how he does the of rest of this year.
Especially against New England, Seattle, Jets, Bears and Vikings

With a running game to work with now with and a O-Line that is starting to gel, you may have wished you played us at the start of the season. It should not be a cake walk like I think many Viking fans thought it would be a few weeks ago !!!

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a running game to work now with and a O-Line that is starting to gel, you may have wished you played us at the start of the season. It should not be a cake walk like I think many Viking fans thought it would be a few weeks ago !!!

You still need to remember what type of teams that you have gotten your 3 wins against.
And what type of teams that you have your 4 losses to.
Howeever, no game should be thought of as a cakewalk.
You know the old saying, "On any given Sunday....."

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
If you didn't notice, it was a team effort that got us a win this week, not Favre singlehandedly.

So are you saying that the Packers will do just fine without Favre ?

we would have won this game if we had played with Brad Johnson as well.
But why would we want to play with Brad Johnson when we can play with Brett Favre!?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
With a running game to work now with and a O-Line that is starting to gel, you may have wished you played us at the start of the season. It should not be a cake walk like I think many Viking fans thought it would be a few weeks ago !!!

You still need to remember what type of teams that you have gotten your 3 wins against.

Viks beat seattle w/o shaun and Matt..

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
WinnipegPackFan said:

Viks beat seattle w/o shaun and Matt..

And they also beat Carolina without Steve Smith. Viking Karma - win insignificant games and then lose at money time. That team is like a Greek tragedy.

rmayer32

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:soapbox:
1 team that is just horrible in Detroit, 1 team people thought would win the AFC East this season and oh yeah, the team tht actually should have beaten the Bears this year??

I call that progress.. Who have the Vikings defeated of note other then a crippled Seahawk team?

Reaction score

I agree, but these wins are essential to give the young guys confidence and allow them to better match up against the average/above average/excellent teams in the NFL.

I still think 7-8 wins would hurt this team rather than do it good, a rebuilding team needs to get the highest draft position it can. Furthermore, this season (if we finish really well) will unfairly lead to greater expectations next season, which will put unnecessary pressure on the GM/HC/players/etc. involved, which isn't something we need.

It is important that TT see his philosophy (the essential points atleast)through to the end, and not be pressured into making alterations by his higer-ups (who will be responding indirectly to fans). These wins are great to see, really enjoyful but it is ironic that they might hamper the development of this team down the line.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I agree, but these wins are essential to give the young guys confidence and allow them to better match up against the average/above average/excellent teams in the NFL.

I still think 7-8 wins would hurt this team rather than do it good, a rebuilding team needs to get the highest draft position it can. Furthermore, this season (if we finish really well) will unfairly lead to greater expectations next season, which will put unnecessary pressure on the GM/HC/players/etc. involved, which isn't something we need.

It is important that TT see his philosophy (the essential points atleast)through to the end, and not be pressured into making alterations by his higer-ups (who will be responding indirectly to fans). These wins are great to see, really enjoyful but it is ironic that they might hamper the development of this team down the line.

So you want them to lose? Heretic

Also, better even than the Falcons game last year? I'd say close.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone see MMs post game locker room speech? They showed it on fox like 10 minutes after the game.

He was giving the guys stats, like favres FIRST EVER LAMBEAU LEAP which got a good reaction.

Then he said there was good news and bad news. The bad news was they only won the turnover battle by +1....the good news is they get a victory monday, which i assume is the day off, which is common in a lot of NFL teams.

MM seems like a solid coach. I hope things work out! GO PACK!

"You have a victory Monday." Did you hear the cheer from the team when M.M. yelled that out.

M.M. is going to work out fine as a leader, winning has a great deal to do with momentum, and good coaches build on that.

Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Not loose. It's just that people will start to expect more, which is their right, but it is unfair. I am so torn between wanting better draft position and winning as many games as possible.

You don't want to install a losing attitude, but at the same time you need to get high picks when you are entering the second year of a rebuilding project.

In fact, drafting earlier and getting a special player may make all the difference in having a winning atmosphere in the team.

I guess I am unsure of what I want. :-?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Not loose. It's just that people will start to expect more, which is their right, but it is unfair. I am so torn between wanting better draft position and winning as many games as possible.

You don't want to install a losing attitude, but at the same time you need to get high picks when you are entering the second year of a rebuilding project.

In fact, drafting earlier and getting a special player may make all the difference in having a winning atmosphere in the team.

I guess I am unsure of what I want. :-?

See if this team were a vet team that couldn't get over the hump to get to the SB THEN Id say blow it up and go for the draft pick. Otherwise with THIS team that is young and growing you NEED to win every game you can to help this young team develope. How do you develope a winning attitude by telling these kids "yeah uh we are gonna lose and go for the higher draft pick"...

Reaction score
I agree Cory, but I think a lot of the confidence the young players have stems from Brett.

Get in Aaron next year (or hopefully the year after), and you have a young QB who will need the best talent around him. I'd rather have a shot at someone like Calvin Johnson instead of having to pick in the middle of the pack.

My line of thinking stems from the fact that it is essential that Rodgers be the next good (not great) QB if the Packers plan to start their winning ways in the next 3-4 years. I think if you give him higher quality of talent, he will have a greater shot.

History is against Rodgers. Recent examples of instability after a HOF QB left include Denver (Elway) and Miami (Marino). Rodgers will be compared to Favre, will be criticized, and under the microscope a great deal. That is a really tough situation to be in, but it can be made easier by having someone such as Calvin J., Adrian P., etc.

Having someone the D can focus their attention on (a la Reggie Bush) would really open up things for Rodgers, and take a lot of pressure of him to "carry the load" so to speak.

I believe Jennings is a stud and WILL be the playmaker at the WR position. That not withstanding, the Packers need a playmaker at CB, DT/DE, RB. While RB can be relatively easier than the other positions to find a playmaker, a CB or DE/DT playmaker is usually taken right at the top of the draft.

scotty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Not to sound dismissive of the importance of having a good draft, but my goodness, it's week 8 - too early to worry about our draft position for next year! This is a young team with a lot of weapons and I am rooting for them to win every game they possibly can, I can't imagine a Packers fan doing otherwise. If they were 0-15 going into the last game I'd root like hell for them to win, even if it screwed up getting the number one pick.

You've gotta root for your team - Next season is next season. I might get hit by a bus in the spring and not even be around to see it, right? Now say it with me: "Let's go Pack!" :thumbsup:

Also: :beersign:

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Cory, but I think a lot of the confidence the young players have stems from Brett.

Get in Aaron next year (or hopefully the year after), and you have a young QB who will need the best talent around him. I'd rather have a shot at someone like Calvin Johnson instead of having to pick in the middle of the pack.

My line of thinking stems from the fact that it is essential that Rodgers be the next good (not great) QB if the Packers plan to start their winning ways in the next 3-4 years. I think if you give him higher quality of talent, he will have a greater shot.

History is against Rodgers. Recent examples of instability after a HOF QB left include Denver (Elway) and Miami (Marino). Rodgers will be compared to Favre, will be criticized, and under the microscope a great deal. That is a really tough situation to be in, but it can be made easier by having someone such as Calvin J., Adrian P., etc.

Having someone the D can focus their attention on (a la Reggie Bush) would really open up things for Rodgers, and take a lot of pressure of him to "carry the load" so to speak.

I believe Jennings is a stud and WILL be the playmaker at the WR position. That not withstanding, the Packers need a playmaker at CB, DT/DE, RB. While RB can be relatively easier than the other positions to find a playmaker, a CB or DE/DT playmaker is usually taken right at the top of the draft.

I can see you're point and it is an excellent point at that, but the way I see this team in 1-2 years(whenever Brett retires and you are right I imagine their confidence stems from guys like Brett, Donald, and Ahman) is our Oline having the ZB scheme down therefore our run game is executing effectively therefore taking pressure off of whomever is the QB. That along with Koren Robinson, Donald Driver, and Greg Jennings will give us potent threats on offense. All Favre is doing right now is not making costly mistakes and managing the game effectively. I have confidence that Mike McCarthy, Jags, and Tom Clements can get AR to do just that and not have to be a major star.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats on a great win today. Was an awesome start to a great football day. Farve still has it, Kampman applied great pressure and you guys opened up a can of whoopass :). Way to go!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just wonder whether winning and going 7-9 or 8-8 is the best thing for this team.

I know exactly your thinking AADP, and in therory for me, it sounds like the way to go BUT...( mighty big but eh?)

Nothing is every a "lock" when it comes to players in the draft unless something in the top 3??

so with that in mind what is better??

Win as much as you can end up picking somewhere after the 10th pick , and maybe trading that away to get one in late 1st round and maybe one in 2nd round?

Or tank the rest of season to get as close to those top 5 picks??

I think the young players on the team now, will regress if loosing a lot happens now...Let the, enjoy the wins, knwo what it feels like to get that feeling back as much as they can..Seems to me that a lot of those younger guys do have the talent just need the time, but maybe thats just me..

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its a double edge sword. you could end up like the lions or browns who allways have top 10 picks and still lose. or you could end uplike the bengals or carolina and turn those top picks into winning teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts