We need a better defensive coordinator

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really all about packers ... i think the first game was more of a ... fumbling reasons why we lost ... too many offensive turnover ...

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry i wasnt really clear i meant about the chicago loss ... jones 2 - 3 fumbles cant remember exactly well

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our defense. I think our defense is "tough". That said, I don't believe we, schematically, have what it takes to perform against top offenses or well-coached offenses. I think we can be a stifling force in the regular season, but when we face good offenses in the playoffs, we have to be able to throw more than BNR, man to man coverage at the defense. I like Sanders, but his background isn't blitzing. I think we need to incorporate some semblance of a zone blitz package.

I think Evad summed it up the best.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:
I like our defense. I think our defense is "tough". That said, I don't believe we, schematically, have what it takes to perform against top offenses or well-coached offenses. I think we can be a stifling force in the regular season, but when we face good offenses in the playoffs, we have to be able to throw more than BNR, man to man coverage at the defense. I like Sanders, but his background isn't blitzing. I think we need to incorporate some semblance of a zone blitz package.

I think Evad summed it up the best.

Agree with Evad. We occasionally need blitzes. Look what it did for the Giants. Their front four was bashing Brady, but they still did an occasional blitz. The thing is, you can't give any of the top tier QBs time or else they'll kill you. You have to knock them down.

The Giants were aware of this. That's why they beat the Pats. They got into Brady's head.

To improve from the #6 D, we're going to have to improve. I like Sanders, I just think he needs to blitz a little bit more if our front four isn't knocking the QB down.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big picture, I think we are well positioned on defense, and I think they had a good year(as did the entire team). However, there are obviously things that can be and need to be improved going forward to make this a top caliber defense. In no particular order: continued growth of young players(Bigby, Hawk, Rouse in particular); finding quality depth/replacements at the two corner positions and at LB; maintaining a strong rotation on the DL and finding a way to spell Kampman a little; and the maturation of the 1st year coordinator and his staff.

Sanders needs to recognize 1. the weaknesses of his system and how best to cover these shortcomings and 2. the strengths of his players and how best to utilize these talents within his system. He needs to take this information as well as scouting information to formulate the best game plan for each opponent, and then be willing to make adjustments on the fly as the game may dictate.

I would give him a C+ for this past year, the same grade I would have given McCarthy in 2006. McCarthy grew a great deal last season, let us hope that Sanders can do the same next year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big picture, I think we are well positioned on defense, and I think they had a good year(as did the entire team). However, there are obviously things that can be and need to be improved going forward to make this a top caliber defense. In no particular order: continued growth of young players(Bigby, Hawk, Rouse in particular); finding quality depth/replacements at the two corner positions and at LB; maintaining a strong rotation on the DL and finding a way to spell Kampman a little; and the maturation of the 1st year coordinator and his staff.

Sanders needs to recognize 1. the weaknesses of his system and how best to cover these shortcomings and 2. the strengths of his players and how best to utilize these talents within his system. He needs to take this information as well as scouting information to formulate the best game plan for each opponent, and then be willing to make adjustments on the fly as the game may dictate.

I would give him a C+ for this past year, the same grade I would have given McCarthy in 2006. McCarthy grew a great deal last season, let us hope that Sanders can do the same next year.

Great post!

I hope Sanders learns to make adjustments as MM obviously has in his 2nd year. Agree with you on all points. I wouldn't mind a good FA pickup in the offseason to help take our D to the next level. But I have faith in TT/MM. I think they'll do the right thing, whatever that may be.

Our O was #4. Our D was #6. So obviously, I think our D could use more improving.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like Winston Moss more than Bob Sanders. I think he'd be better at it and I actually think he'll be a Head Coach someday.

Bob Sanders is ok. You have to remember he's in his 2nd year as a coordinator. He's still learning and this experience was very good for him and the rest of the coaches. I'm ok with Sanders as the coordinator but if the Packers were to bring in a big name like Greg Williams or promote Moss, I wouldn't criticize it.

Aaronstory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Sanders and his scheme is that it serves them well against most NFL teams. But when faced with a team that has equal or superior players, and the game becomes a chess match, Sanders loses.

More thoughts here.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Sanders and his scheme is that it serves them well against most NFL teams. But when faced with a team that has equal or superior players, and the game becomes a chess match, Sanders loses.

More thoughts here.

I don't necessarily think Sanders needs to be replaced as much as Sanders needs to be on a short leash and needs to realize exactly what you said. He needs to adjust. If he cannot adjust, our D just doesn't do well against top tier teams or teams that know how to exploit our weaknesses.

The thing I keep saying is you just have to pressure the QB. Sanders against good OLs gives QBs too much time. You can't expect someone to cover man-to-man forever.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think Sanders needs to be replaced as much as Sanders needs to be on a short leash and needs to realize exactly what you said. He needs to adjust. If he cannot adjust, our D just doesn't do well against top tier teams or teams that know how to exploit our weaknesses.

The thing I keep saying is you just have to pressure the QB. Sanders against good OLs gives QBs too much time. You can't expect someone to cover man-to-man forever.[/quote]

I can't remember the name of the QB who played for Carolina when we beat them in GB. But in the second half he made us look bad because we gave him all day long to throw the ball. There was no adjustment made in the second half. Had our offense not been so potent, that was a game that could have been lost because of the defense.

I hope Sanders can grow and get better. But I wouldn't hesitate to make Moss the coordinator.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, this thread is classic. I don't do that zero thing and bring back threads, but I just might with this one.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, this thread is classic. I don't do that zero thing and bring back threads, but I just might with this one.

The thing is, I think a lot of people on this thread were saying we don't need a new DC, we just need a few tweeks. We were #6 D last year. Bump that up just a tad and we could win the SB.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

The thing is, I think a lot of people on this thread were saying we don't need a new DC, we just need a few tweeks. We were #6 D last year. Bump that up just a tad and we could win the SB.

And it will likely get bumped just by keeping things the same. Experience does a lot for people, including coaches. Ask MM.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And it will likely get bumped just by keeping things the same. Experience does a lot for people, including coaches. Ask MM.

Let it be known, I have predicted Atari Bigby in the Pro Bowl next year. He's shown flashes of brilliance towards the end of the season.

I think our DC will watch plenty of film in the offseason, learn from his mistakes, and we'll emerge as a top tier D and go on to win the SB next year. We were VERY close last year.

So, in other words, agreed.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Let it be known, I have predicted Atari Bigby in the Pro Bowl next year. He's shown flashes of brilliance towards the end of the season.

I think our DC will watch plenty of film in the offseason, learn from his mistakes, and we'll emerge as a top tier D and go on to win the SB next year. We were VERY close last year.

So, in other words, agreed.

I will say it again, the Safeties on this team are the key to an improved defense overall next year.

The more trust they earn in playing solid smart football, the more aggressive we can become in the underneath coverages and stunts at the LOS.

Members online

Latest posts