We need a better defensive coordinator

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all i have to say ... this team will never win the SB until we get ourselves a new D Coord.

We...had one of the best defenses in the NFC.

I'll assume you're drunk. Do you want a new QB too?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what he meant Trom was that what you saw tonight was a coordinator who was adjusting all the time throughout the game. Our coordinator doesn't do that. If he had I believe that would have been us in the Super Bowl tonight.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what he meant Trom was that what you saw tonight was a coordinator who was adjusting all the time throughout the game. Our coordinator doesn't do that. If he had I believe that would have been us in the Super Bowl tonight.

I...disagree. Did you watch any of the games this year? I have all but 2 on DVD if you want them. I think you should give them a look.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

I...disagree. Did you watch any of the games this year? I have all but 2 on DVD if you want them. I think you should give them a look.

It's ok that you disagree. I watched every game too and to be honest with you, I thought our defense didn't play so well in a lot of games. I think the weak spot is the coordinator. Now that doesn't mean I think we had a bad season, I just think that the really good coordinators make those adjustments.

Spagnola will be a head coach for someone very soon, and deservedly so.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and what...a 2nd year DC? And we were STILL one of the best defenses in the NFC.

What...more do you want? We're on our way, man. On our way.

Reaction score
Agree with Trom Cruise and Midwest.

Sanders has the respect of his players, and a bunch of players had a superb year in his scheme. Why change it?

Oh yeah, because Sanders doesn't adjust enough. Like McCarthy in his first year, boy we should've canned McCarthy too.... er wait, that would have been a bad move.

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with packed house ... and i do also want to say ... our defensive coord. is not very good with CB developement, or he just doesnt know how to use 2 of the best CB's in the league ... i dont care what ppl say ... thats the way i see it ... i dont think that our defensive coord had anything to do with being a 6th place... but i also want u too remember ... that we do have an amazing D-line ... amazing LB ... amazing CB and good safeties ... just the only thing is i dont think our d coord know how to use this talent

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need a new coordinator, but we need some more diversity on defense.

Blitz packages and some successful zone plays.

We always run a 4-3 Man-to-Man.

Look at the Giants, they have less talent in the secondary than we do, but they make up for it with the pressure created by the front seven.

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me im not too familliar about the def. scheme we run but why couldnt we have had collins ... help harris out with plaxico or something ... we did see that harris was getting killed ... care to explain

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our defense. I think our defense is "tough". That said, I don't believe we, schematically, have what it takes to perform against top offenses or well-coached offenses. I think we can be a stifling force in the regular season, but when we face good offenses in the playoffs, we have to be able to throw more than BNR, man to man coverage at the defense. I like Sanders, but his background isn't blitzing. I think we need to incorporate some semblance of a zone blitz package.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
our defensive coord. is not very good with CB developement, or he just doesnt know how to use 2 of the best CB's in the league

Or we don't have 2 of the best CBs in the league.

think about it.

Reaction score
Tell me im not too familliar about the def. scheme we run but why couldnt we have had collins ... help harris out with plaxico or something ... we did see that harris was getting killed ... care to explain

We did have have a Safety help out Harris in the second half.

Problem is that in the first half, Burress was lining up on the left side, where the only help possible would've been Atari Bigby. He is better suited for the run as opposed to the pass, so the coaches might have felt it better off to leave Harris to get himself out of that mess.

Or perhaps Harris simply had too much pride and told the coaches not to give him help, and the coaches listened for the first half before deciding to do something in the second half.

Either way, the coaches made a mistake. One I imagine they will definitely learn from.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had one of the youngest teams in the NFL, and what...a 2nd year DC? And we were STILL one of the best defenses in the NFC.

everything you say is right Trom, but................there were a lot of times this year when the defense could 't get off the field. There were times that they played brilliantly. There were just a lot more times where we simply outscored everyone. We didn't, but we could have lost both of those games to Detroit. Our defense was bad, but our offense was great. I just use those games as an example. Wanna talk about the second half of the first Bears game or the Bears game in Chicago?

Reaction score
Krazygangsta said:
our defensive coord. is not very good with CB developement, or he just doesnt know how to use 2 of the best CB's in the league

Or we don't have 2 of the best CBs in the league.

think about it.

Well you could argue we only have one of the top CBs in the NFL, and he (Woodson) was playing with a knee injury that limited his effectiveness.

But damn trom, going from your posts it seems like Harris is right next to 'Holding, 28, Defense' for most hated Packer.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wanna talk about the second half of the first Bears game or the Bears game in Chicago?

Wanna talk about the other games where our defense kept us in the game?

Is this thread really happening, or did I drink 1 too many MGDs?

Our defense is bad? Ok...well....I guess you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just gonna....step out of this thread.

Go pack?

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

4th and 26 does he still need learning ... im sorry but i would never hire a coach again after that play

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Wanna talk about the second half of the first Bears game or the Bears game in Chicago?

Wanna talk about the other games where our defense kept us in the game?

Is this thread really happening, or did I drink 1 too many MGDs?

Our defense is bad? Ok...well....I guess you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just gonna....step out of this thread.

Go pack?

Trom, no one has said the defense is bad. What I'm saying it that they are a developing defense. I just think we don't make adjustment during the game very well. I think that falls in the lap of the coordinator. Just my opinion. I love the talent on this defense.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

4th and 26 does he still need learning ... im sorry but i would never hire a coach again after that play

If there were any coaching adjustments I'd make it would be our defensive coordinator. I think if you bring in a top guy, that defense becomes amazing. Byt they were pretty good most of the year this year so it might be a tough sell to change coaches.

OP
OP
K

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on guys think ... we have amazing d-line ... send more freakin blitzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz pressure the ******* QB u have good cb's good lb's that our faast to blitz

Reaction score
but................there were a lot of times this year when the defense could 't get off the field.

Well you could argue that was more due to the Defense not having anything left from having played so much of the first half/entire game.

I seem to recall having a few games where the Packers simply got dominated in the Time Of Possession category, which you could interpret as the Offense moving the ball too well (scoring very quickly) or the offense struggling to do anything. In either of those cases, you could say he defense is not at fault.

I think the D won us the Eagles game and the Redskins game. You could argue they lost us the first Chicago game, but you have to remember we were horrid on offense in the second half of that game. Which leads you to the argument above, where you could say the D's collapse in that game isn't really their fault.

Reaction score
I think if you bring in a top guy, that defense becomes amazing.

Well bringing in a "top guy" like Greg Williams or Steve Spagnuolo means that they have have a good shot of eventually leaving the DC position to become a head coach.

Which means you need another DC. Just a couple of years ago the Packers fans would've killed to have a consistent DC, because we hadn't had the same DC for two years in a row for a while.

I see the point you are making, and it may very well be valid. But there might be consequences with bringing in the top DC on the market, such as having to re-hire a DC and make scheme changes not too later.

Members online

Latest posts