We have become very spoiled...

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read some posts on here and other forums and just think as Packers fans how spoiled we are. And im not talking the tradition, the stadium, Lombardi, etc...

Going back to just when we won the Super Bowl in 2011. Winning 15 of 16 regular season games the next season. Having the best QB and arguably the best player in the NFL. One of the best WR cores in the NFL This team we are watching each and every Sunday is a dynasty in the making. We are gonna keep winning the division, we are going to win more Super Bowls. A lot has been made of the loss against the Giants but get over it! This is one of the best teams in the NFL and will be for many more years.

Many fans dont get to enjoy this often, maybe one season and bam its gone. Enjoy this time Packers fans, its truly special what has happened and what will happen!

Go Pack Go.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Remembered as a disappointment and huge collapse in the postseason.

Regular season doesn't mean much in the NFL imo.
Are you kidding. Sure the playoff was a huge letdown but for 17 weeks we reaped the wind. We basked in Glory. We were the unbeaten Superbowl champs for 2/3 of the season. We fell short and I licked my wounds for a long time like everyone else, but at least for me it was one hell of a ride last year. Without the regular season the playoffs would be meaningless.

If we were 8 and 8 we would still watch every week, right?? wouldn't have been as great though. Every game means something.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem if people are angry the Packers lost, but it's the revolving door of speculating why they lost, and the resorting to protracted argumentation to one up the other guy. The net result is to run down the team way too much. If one were to piece together all the rationales that have been tossed around, and ferociously defended, it's a wonder the Packers won a game.

If nothing else, perhaps I am over sensitive since Packer Nation is just getting over a period where protracted fights were taking place over He Who Always Had To Be Named, and the slanted, disjointed view people had of the Packers. That is, the propensity of so many fans to give Favre all the credit for the good and everyone else all the bad, so that so many seem to forget that there were many other good players that helped the Packers be one of the best overall teams for so long. Just too distorted a view evolved about one of the best teams in the league the last 20 years.

In other words, when one spends too much time looking at trees, and not stepping back to see the forest, you fail to see that the Packers have been the best, most potent, team in the league over the last three years. The simple fact is they crapped out of two playoffs with a -5 turnover margin and going 0-2, surrounding one playoff with a +6 turnover margin, going 4-0 and a championship. All the "troubles" the Packers have had boil down to whether they giveaway the ball or not in the playoffs. Over the last three years they have been more balanced but inconsistent, and then quite consistent (hence a 19 game winning streak) but more imbalanced. The one over riding factor is they have been potent throughout. A potency that diminishes if they give the other team more shots with the ball and less for themselves.

OP
OP
Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point Im just trying to make is the Packers are on a magical ride, it might not mean that they win the SB every year but we are seeing is just awesome, luckiest fans in the NFL.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a golden era for the Packers and we fans have to appreciate it. It's not like this always.
I'm old.
I graduated high school in 1987. And from my kindergarten year til I graduated college, WE SUCKED EVERY SINGLE YEAR. And I went to school in Minnesota all those years. We won one playoff game IIRC, vs the Phoenix Cardinals, in all those years.

Last year was a great regular season, thanks to the offense.
But it hurt to do something no other team in history had ever done, and that's go 15-1 and then fail to win a single playoff game. And being against the Giants, at Lambeau, just like the 2008 NFC Championship game, put a very sour taste in our mouths and it's the lingering taste, not the games in September or November.

Could be a lot worse though!
Belicheat and Brady haven't won a Super Bowl in about 7 years? Or more?
And then there's Minnesota, Detroit, ........

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate every moment of it and that comes from appreciating every moment of terrible football that I watched throughout the years. It helps tremendously to know the agony of defeat just as strongly as the glory of victory.

Regular season doesn't mean much in the NFL imo
180 degrees man. I'm with realcaliforniacheese. For 17 weeks, 18 if you count the playoff bye, I was flying high with my team winning almost all of its games. How often does that happen? Winning the SB is nice but give me winning seasons every year with the occasional SB over the boom and bust scenarios that most many teams display these days.

I actually harken back to the 1990 Vikings. Those fans still don't realize how good they had it under Denny Green. The man put together winning teams every season but could get them to the big game. So what? The Vikings have been terrible ever since. If only fans could learn to enjoy good seasons and place less emphasis on winning it all.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's a two sided argument, being thankful for what happens but you can't ignore the awful truth which a lot of people did, and that is the fact there is no way we could have won it all last year with a defense that was absolutely god awful and looked lost and clueless out there 3/4's of the time.

A team that's defense is ranked 32nd overall, and gave up hail mary throws and long bombs, had absolutely no business finishing 15-1 with the #1 seed, so be thankful. Had that been any other team with a defense that bad (yet we did get turnovers, only positive note) there is no way they would have won 15 games.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You have to be a wildcard to win the NFC championship. Would you rather win a lot of games, or lose enough to get the wildcard? See it's kind of a trade-off :rolleyes:

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a two sided argument, being thankful for what happens but you can't ignore the awful truth which a lot of people did, and that is the fact there is no way we could have won it all last year with a defense that was absolutely god awful and looked lost and clueless out there 3/4's of the time.

A team that's defense is ranked 32nd overall, and gave up hail mary throws and long bombs, had absolutely no business finishing 15-1 with the #1 seed, so be thankful. Had that been any other team with a defense that bad (yet we did get turnovers, only positive note) there is no way they would have won 15 games.

This is the type of thing I was referring to. A lambasting of the defense that it was "terrible" when it was mediocre. There is a lot of difference between the two. An easy attack for why the Packers washed out if one wants to avoid the obvious of the 4 giveaways (and another that should have been). You simply do not win in the playoffs if you give the ball way 4 times. Complaining is pointless. All the defense could have done against the Giants is decrease the amount the Packers lost by. If the Packers had stuck with their <=1 turnover of the regular season, even against playoff caliber teams, who knows what the outcome would have been. But we all know what it was with 4 giveaways and a turnover on downs.

The defense wasn't as terrible as people make it out to be, and giveaways were the main culprit in the loss. If that still doesn't register, BOTH the Packers and Patriots were terrible in yards, and BOTH were #1 seeds. Meanwhile the Eagles were #8 in offensive yards and #4 in defensive yards, 4th in overall yardage margin in 2011 and DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Points are what matter, and turnovers have a bigger impact today than yards in point differential.

Last point, 5 of the last 8 Super Bowl winners LOST the yardage margin, but won the turnover margin in the Super Bowl. When they give out the trophy for winning the yardage margin, I'll be worried. As long as takeaways are hot and heavy, and the Packers win the point margin with consistency, I don't care where the yards end up.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
It's been a great run. I was around for the packer teams of the70's and 80's. Enjoy this while we have it ! Go Pack Go !

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Absolutely correct.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This is the type of thing I was referring to. A lambasting of the defense that it was "terrible" when it was mediocre. There is a lot of difference between the two. An easy attack for why the Packers washed out if one wants to avoid the obvious of the 4 giveaways (and another that should have been). You simply do not win in the playoffs if you give the ball way 4 times. Complaining is pointless. All the defense could have done against the Giants is decrease the amount the Packers lost by. If the Packers had stuck with their <=1 turnover of the regular season, even against playoff caliber teams, who knows what the outcome would have been. But we all know what it was with 4 giveaways and a turnover on downs.

The defense wasn't as terrible as people make it out to be, and giveaways were the main culprit in the loss. If that still doesn't register, BOTH the Packers and Patriots were terrible in yards, and BOTH were #1 seeds. Meanwhile the Eagles were #8 in offensive yards and #4 in defensive yards, 4th in overall yardage margin in 2011 and DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Points are what matter, and turnovers have a bigger impact today than yards in point differential.

Last point, 5 of the last 8 Super Bowl winners LOST the yardage margin, but won the turnover margin in the Super Bowl. When they give out the trophy for winning the yardage margin, I'll be worried. As long as takeaways are hot and heavy, and the Packers win the point margin with consistency, I don't care where the yards end up.

A mediocre defense don't land 32nd in the league. No team has ever won the Super Bowl with a defense that bad. I know the NFL is pretty crazy now, with a 9-7 team winning it that was last in the league in rushing, but you should not over look things. Patriots pretty much had a cake walk to the Super Bowl too. Playing an extremely overrated Denver defense, and then Baltimore's whom offense totally failed in the end, anyone could have beat those teams. Houston for one would have beat Baltimore had their quarterback not thrown so many interceptions.

You can't win a Super Bowl with just an offense. I don't care that the Packers were 15-1, the 49ers more than likely would have crushed us worse than a 9-7 Giants team. Look at what they did to the Saints, who actually could run the ball a lot better than GB, and then look at how bad our defense couldn't stop anybody. It didn't have to be the Giants, we would have lost to anybody bringing their A game, cause a 32nd ranked defense no matter how many turnovers in the regular season is not good odds in the playoffs. I for one believe the 49ers would have had a field day, if the Giants could get turnovers that easily.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't feel spoiled one darned bit. I feel deserving. Anybody who followed the Packers in the 70's and 80's is likely also feeling the same as I do. We've earned this.
All good points above though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This is a golden era for the Packers and we fans have to appreciate it. It's not like this always.
I'm old.
I graduated high school in 1987. And from my kindergarten year til I graduated college, WE SUCKED EVERY SINGLE YEAR.

Had to take some liberties w/ your post Frank. Sorry... but, I have about ten years on you and I'm not old enough to forget sitting in Lambeau throughout the 70's and 80's ... with all due respect to the sentiment that you're putting forward, I'll have someone consider me OLD when I can no longer remember the pain and agony that I willingly paid for back then -- think voluntary ******* ... the slaves who built the pyramids for the Egyptians have nothing on me because I PAID to be whipped, flogged and slave driven at Lambeau. :tup:

If the original poster had qualified his pretext just a hair by adding maybe... "ESPN generation of Packers fans are spoiled" ... I'd say "Right on buddy... damned right!!" Those of us who witnessed and were force-fed nearly 30 years of bumble-f**king passed off as professional football, in my opinion, will never feel anything but gratitude to those responsible for the pro football reality we've been given since the arrival of Ron Wolf.

{Note: Grizzled and gurgling Packers fans steps off his soap box}

Hey... I was passing by a TV yesterday and noted that someone is still playing basketball AND hockey ... go figure.

thomas28

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 seasons and were spoiled? How about other teams with their new stadiums every 10 years (with their precious retracktable roofs). Our organization reeks of history and class and that echo's across the NFL. Which is why we have one of the biggest nation wide fan bases even though we are in the smallest market.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lambeau Field > Super Stadiums

I had some guy trying to tell me that Raymond James Stadium in Tampa is the greatest, nicest, and most beautiful stadium ever built. I found it hard to even continue the conversation with him.

OP
OP
Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been to some of the nicest stadiums in US, and Lambeau Field is def right at the top of the best. From the atrium to just how it looks inside and out, incredible.