We have a Signing... Thomas Gafford

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Something to offset the loss of the team from the Favre retirement. ;)

Seriously, it looks like another long tenure of a Packer player is passing.. Rob Davis has done us well.

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/PKR01/803070603/1989

Packers sign long snapper

In a move that perhaps could mean the end for veteran Rob Davis, the Packers signed free-agent long snapper Thomas Gafford. The move was not announced by the team, but showed up on the transaction wire sent to NFL teams at the end of league business on Wednesday.

Gafford, who played collegiately at Houston, was with the Packers during the 2006 training camp. At the time, he was viewed as a potential replacement for Davis.

The Packers have not re-signed Davis, who has been their long snapper since 1997.

Davis has expressed an interest in returning for another season, but if he doesn't play, he likely would accept a position in the Packers' player development department. He assisted in that area last season while he was playing.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Davis can stick around. Long snapper isn't as flashy as QB or WR, but he's more than paid his dues as a Packer.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gafford will be the first of "The ARod Generation!" just like guys like Sharpe, Freeman and Levens were for Favre. :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article last season that said Rob Davis is one of the team's locker room leaders. I would hate to lose both him and Favre in the same year. Maybe Gafford was signed more as insurance, in case Davis struggles in training camp.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is the end of Davis' career as a player I wouldn't expect him to not be around. I remember reading the stuff below a while back

Calling Davis a team leader is hardly a snap judgment

It should come as no surprise that the Packers player considered to be the team’s supreme leader on the field is none other than QB Brett Favre, whose storybook season has increased the reverence his teammates can’t help but feel toward him. Off the field, however, the player our Green Bay sources tell us is the undisputed leader is longtime long-snapper Rob Davis, who has taken on a key role one wouldn’t expect from a guy at his position. Since joining the club in mid-1997, however, daily team observers tell us Davis has become almost like a Buddha in the locker room, offering wisdom and counseling on numerous levels to the team’s mostly young players on a daily basis. The fact that he’s also considered an excellent long-snapper makes Davis a “keeper” in more ways than one. Davis has doubled this season as an assistant in the team’s player development department and is expected to have a place in the Packers’ organization after he decides to retire from playing. One more interesting tidbit about Davis: Believe it or not, he’s a former bouncer for Dennis Rodman and is considered the team’s No. 1 enforcer whenever a fight breaks out during a game — a role we’re told he absolutely relishes.

Members online