watch "Last day at Lambeau"

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AKCheese - It really doesn't matter. Bottom line - he should have signed his retirement papers immediately after the press conference on March 8, 2008. Had he done that like a good little boy, then all would have been good in the world and there would have been zero drama to ever have started! Commanders have no control over their subordinates making stupid decisions, like circus-starting.

Wrong in both tone and content,

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wrong in both tone and content,

That is YOUR opinion and YOUR view of things. I for one, was beyond sick to death of his season-ending dartboard misfires. Get it? I couldn't wait for him to leave. Up, over and OUT. He turned into a pest and a bonafide nuisance of epic and legendary proportions. I also didn't appreciate him bossing Ted around, telling him what to do and who to sign, like that ridiculous Randy Moss demand that turned into sour grapes and a whine-fest with Greta Van Boo-Boo. Favre was NOT the director of player personnel, NOT a talent evaluator, NOT a scout, NOT the General Manager and in absolutely no position to tell Ted Thompson a frickin' thing about anything. I don't even think Ted is the greatest thing ever, but he doesn't answer to any players - period.

All of the aforementioned testimony is accurate in both content and tone. That's life, that's how life goes, that's it and that's that!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I don't accept your assertions, but for the sake of argument , If Ted allowed him to act like that, that's a Ted problem.

If you're the boss, and you allow behavior(s) to occur, you can't then cry and point fingers that those behaviors continued. I'm pretty sure Ted knew Brett Favre was the GBP QB when he took the job.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is YOUR opinion and YOUR view of things. I for one, was beyond sick to death of his season-ending dartboard misfires. Get it? I couldn't wait for him to leave. Up, over and OUT. He turned into a pest and a bonafide nuisance of epic and legendary proportions. I also didn't appreciate him bossing Ted around, telling him what to do and who to sign, like that ridiculous Randy Moss demand that turned into sour grapes and a whine-fest with Greta Van Boo-Boo. Favre was NOT the director of player personnel, NOT a talent evaluator, NOT a scout, NOT the General Manager and in absolutely no position to tell Ted Thompson a frickin' thing about anything. I don't even think Ted is the greatest thing ever, but he doesn't answer to any players - period.

All of the aforementioned testimony is accurate in both content and tone. That's life, that's how life goes, that's it and that's that!
Hey Flatlander--Go have another Goose Island. Everyone understands, you hate Favre and love Ted Thompson. Your opinion is the one that only matters. Everyone else is an idiot.

Ted doesn't answer to any players--Really? He has his favorites--Generally high draft choices and undrafted players. For crying out loud he offered Raji $8M/year. Hawk, Harrell, Bulaga. Or lovefest players--Kuhn, Brad Jones and the list of undrafted FA all overpaid for their worth on the roster. Bottom line is that if Rodgers didn't fall, TT would be gone.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best GM in the NFL.
There you have it. Without Rodgers, TT is mediocre. Didn't you see enough when #12 got hurt? GB is at best a .500 team without Rodgers. Give me some data that points to TT being the best GM in the NFL without Rodgers.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again I don't accept your assertions, but for the sake of argument , If Ted allowed him to act like that, that's a Ted problem.

If you're the boss, and you allow behavior(s) to occur, you can't then cry and point fingers that those behaviors continued. I'm pretty sure Ted knew Brett Favre was the GBP QB when he took the job.

I'm sure he did. Then, at the conclusion of the 2007 NFC title game, Ted probably said, "Please retire and go home".

Wish granted. For the most part.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Flatlander--Go have another Goose Island. Everyone understands, you hate Favre and love Ted Thompson. Your opinion is the one that only matters. Everyone else is an idiot.

Ted doesn't answer to any players--Really? He has his favorites--Generally high draft choices and undrafted players. For crying out loud he offered Raji $8M/year. Hawk, Harrell, Bulaga. Or lovefest players--Kuhn, Brad Jones and the list of undrafted FA all overpaid for their worth on the roster. Bottom line is that if Rodgers didn't fall, TT would be gone.

I don't drink Goose Island. I drink Captain Morgan. Furthermore, I don't hate Favre at all. I hate what he did and the position he put the team in. Big difference. If you can't comprehend that, it really is your own issue.

Let's analyze, shall we?

2001 season playoff vs. the Rams - 6 picks. Wow. Who does that? I mean, seriously. Let's just blame it all on everyone running the wrong routes all day. The defense didn't help, but 6 picks is 6 picks. The beginning of the end.

2003 season playoff vs. Eagles - throws a bag of kittens in the air with no time left in regulation. Of course. Granted, Sherman had no balls on 4th and inches and obviously 4th and 26 wasn't Favre's fault, but ... he still tossed a sandbag in the air with the season on the line. Moving on ...

2004 season playoff vs. the Vikings - 4 picks. Wait for it ... of course.

2007 season NFC title game vs. the Giants - like this needs a recap. Of course.

2009 season NFC title game vs. the Saints - like this needs a recap. Of course.

Meanwhile ... how many times has Aaron Rodgers tossed a balloon in the air when the season was on the line? Any questions?

If all of this bullet in the head stuff is your idea of "let's bring him back next year and make Rodgers wait another year", then that's your prerogative. I'm thankful to Favre for the great things he did here and it isn't his fault that Holmgren left him early, which is really the catalyst for all that followed, ultimately. But, it doesn't matter. The Packers are a better team without him and they have been since he farted and got the hell out. As for Ted Thompson - I don't think he's the best GM in football at all. But he did the right thing with Favre. No question about it.

Last edited:

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't drink Goose Island. I drink Captain Morgan. Furthermore, I don't hate Favre at all. I hate what he did and the position he put the team in. Big difference. If you can't comprehend that, it really is your own issue.

Let's analyze, shall we?

2001 season playoff vs. the Rams - 6 picks. Wow. Who does that? I mean, seriously. Let's just blame it all on everyone running the wrong routes all day. The defense didn't help, but 6 picks is 6 picks. The beginning of the end.

2003 season playoff vs. Eagles - throws a bag of kittens in the air with no time left in regulation. Of course. Granted, Sherman had no balls on 4th and inches and obviously 4th and 26 wasn't Favre's fault, but ... he still tossed a sandbag in the air with the season on the line. Moving on ...

2004 season playoff vs. the Vikings - 4 picks. Wait for it ... of course.

2007 season NFC title game vs. the Giants - like this needs a recap. Of course.

2009 season NFC title game vs. the Saints - like this needs a recap. Of course.

Meanwhile ... how many times has Aaron Rodgers tossed a balloon in the air when the season was on the line? Any questions?

If all of this bullet in the head stuff is your idea of "let's bring him back next year and make Rodgers wait another year", then that's your prerogative. I'm thankful to Favre for the great things he did here and it isn't his fault that Holmgren left him early, which is really the catalyst for all that followed, ultimately. But, it doesn't matter. The Packers are a better team without him and they have been since he farted and got the hell out. As for Ted Thompson - I don't think he's the best GM in football at all. But he did the right thing with Favre. No question about it.
TT did the right thing. It was time for Favre to go. However, without Favre the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 Packer seasons and the Vikings 2009 season would not have materialized to the point of playing in the playoffs and in two cases the NFC Championship game. That is fact.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT did the right thing. It was time for Favre to go. However, without Favre the 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 Packer seasons and the Vikings 2009 season would not have materialized to the point of playing in the playoffs and in two cases the NFC Championship game. That is fact.

You're absolutely right. Favre's sandlot, reckless style won us a LOT of games over the years. His iron man starting streak is unfathomable and will never, ever be surpassed. Like any other Packer fan who grew up in the 80's (and those who grew up in the 70's) - we should all be grateful for Favre getting us back to glory and XXXI was special, no doubt. The three straight MVP's. His pure beat-downs and dominance over the Bears is what I'll thank him for the most - it wiped out all the crap I had to endure while living here, specifically from 1984 - 1991, the lone exception being the glorious 1989.

Make no mistake ... I take none of these things away from him. Did Favre "earn" the right to change his mind and want to come back? Yes, he did. But it was selfish, self-absorbed and all of the above. Me personally? I was just done at that point. My opinion and my word is NOT gospel and I never said I was right. But this is just how I feel about it. This thing divided about half of us. Either way, Favre's style turned into a huge detriment in the playoffs towards the end. The results speak for themselves.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. Favre's sandlot, reckless style won us a LOT of games over the years. His iron man starting streak is unfathomable and will never, ever be surpassed. Like any other Packer fan who grew up in the 80's (and those who grew up in the 70's) - we should all be grateful for Favre getting us back to glory and XXXI was special, no doubt. The three straight MVP's. His pure beat-downs and dominance over the Bears is what I'll thank him for the most - it wiped out all the crap I had to endure while living here, specifically from 1984 - 1991, the lone exception being the glorious 1989.

Make no mistake ... I take none of these things away from him. Did Favre "earn" the right to change his mind and want to come back? Yes, he did. But it was selfish, self-absorbed and all of the above. Me personally? I was just done at that point. My opinion and my word is NOT gospel and I never said I was right. But this is just how I feel about it. This thing divided about half of us. Either way, Favre's style turned into a huge detriment in the playoffs towards the end. The results speak for themselves.
We agree, with exception of one point and to AK's thoughts. If Favre didn't give GB the best opportunity to win during 16 years as a starter, why didn't Wolf, Sherman and even TT pull the plug? They had Brooks, Warner, Brunell, Hassellbeck and Rodgers all at their disposal during those years. All five, Rodgers, obviously better than the others, had good careers throwing the football. Some might say Warner and potentially Brunell were great QB's.

GB management didn't pull the trigger because they thought Favre was a better option to put behind center and he gave them the best chance to win.

It's all ridiculous. Favre, in your opinion was a detriment. GB management had the opportunity to sit him and, in theory, had options at QB. They didn't do it. Is that Favre's issue?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We agree, with exception of one point and to AK's thoughts. If Favre didn't give GB the best opportunity to win during 16 years as a starter, why didn't Wolf, Sherman and even TT pull the plug? They had Brooks, Warner, Brunell, Hassellbeck and Rodgers all at their disposal during those years. All five, Rodgers, obviously better than the others, had good careers throwing the football. Some might say Warner and potentially Brunell were great QB's.

GB management didn't pull the trigger because they thought Favre was a better option to put behind center and he gave them the best chance to win.

It's all ridiculous. Favre, in your opinion was a detriment. GB management had the opportunity to sit him and, in theory, had options at QB. They didn't do it. Is that Favre's issue?

They were going to bench brett for burnell at one point

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Ak told Flat that his opinion was wrong

So why not jump on AK like you did to flat?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre was not a detriment ... he became a detriment. I would have started Favre over all of those other guys, of course. However, by the time 2004 or 2005 came around, his candle was burning out at both ends. Now ... was it a good thing to have Rodgers sit behind Favre for a few years? Yes, it was - at least that what things indicate today. That sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it too, huh? Perhaps.

The other thing that Favre did that totally rubbed a lot of people wrong, was his pissy attitude about drafting Rodgers in 2005. He gave the indication that Ted insulted him by doing that. Uh ... Favre was 35 years old when Rodgers was drafted. Common sense dictates that you do sorta need to plan for the future, do you not? It is been routinely mentioned that Favre more or less treated Rodgers like crap. Rodgers did nothing wrong to this guy. He entered the draft, fell in the lap of the Packers and Favre didn't like it. Boo-hoo and too bad. Yet another character flaw on that dude. The list kept growing after that.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was not a detriment ... he became a detriment. I would have started Favre over all of those other guys, of course. However, by the time 2004 or 2005 came around, his candle was burning out at both ends. Now ... was it a good thing to have Rodgers sit behind Favre for a few years? Yes, it was - at least that what things indicate today. That sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it too, huh? Perhaps.

The other thing that Favre did that totally rubbed a lot of people wrong, was his pissy attitude about drafting Rodgers in 2005. He gave the indication that Ted insulted him by doing that. Uh ... Favre was 35 years old when Rodgers was drafted. Common sense dictates that you do sorta need to plan for the future, do you not? It is been routinely mentioned that Favre more or less treated Rodgers like crap. Rodgers did nothing wrong to this guy. He entered the draft, fell in the lap of the Packers and Favre didn't like it. Boo-hoo and too bad. Yet another character flaw on that dude. The list kept growing after that.

True... brent did a fantastic job of mentoring Rodgers and he was always willing to teach and work with......wait....never mind.

H

HardRightEdge

When will it end? When The Pack finally retires his Jersey?

No. This is now "Packer lore" and will be discussed for many years, perhaps generations, to come though perhaps less passionately as those who experienced it personally die off.

There's the story of Jim Ringo showing up in Lombardi's office with an agent which so peeved Lombardi he picked up the phone and traded Ringo on the spot. While the story is likely untrue or at least exaggerated, it's appeal, if only apocryphal, lives on 50 years later.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True... brent did a fantastic job of mentoring Rodgers and he was always willing to teach and work with......wait....never mind.

Meanwhile, is there any evidence at all, of Rodgers pouting about anything? Ever? Then again, in terms of having overall class and dignity, consider where these two come from. Rodgers is from Chico, CA where everyone, you know, has their teeth, knows how to take a bath and use deodorant. They likely are all rather well-educated and they don't bang their sisters and cousins. Then you have Kiln, Mississippi. Not to generalize people, but 1+1 does = 2.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ak told Flat that his opinion was wrong

So why not jump on AK like you did to flat?
Because I agree with AK that Management, VP/GM, President and Head Coach lead on and off the field. These people are put in positions of authority to set strategy and implement to win games regardless of who is on the roster and what the personalities of the rostered players are. They sent Favre on the field and allowed the behavior to become an issue. Harlan, Wolf and Holmgren didn't.

Also--Murphy, TT and McCarthy for months didn't address the media and fan base on this subject--No leading off the field. To me, like the Colts did with Manning, they should have traded Favre to the team where he wanted to play assuming the deal was market based. They didn't--Not sure why. Was it because they still thought he could play or was it because they too were vindictive?

It was a mess. Both sides at fault. I agree with Flatlander on many of his points.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile, is there any evidence at all, of Rodgers pouting about anything? Ever? Then again, in terms of having overall class and dignity, consider where these two come from. Rodgers is from Chico, CA where everyone, you know, has their teeth, knows how to take a bath and use deodorant. They likely are all rather well-educated and they don't bang their sisters and cousins. Then you have Kiln, Mississippi. Not to generalize people, but 1+1 does = 2.
Rodgers is an ideal, to this point, leader on and off the field. A very mature and well spoken player--Bart Starr like. I am ecstatic that he is the face of the Packers.

Here's the rub. Favre's personality was obviously not the same. However, the banter on your post is generalizing people. Most GB fans loved the gunslinger personality. I was at the SB in New Orleans and thousands of fans went to Kiln to hang out with the toothless, uneducated, dirty and incestuous people you reference. I don't think they made that trip to make fun of their heritage as you just did.

Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw all had flaws. Johnny Unitas, Bob Griese, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana didn't. Bottom line fans embraced their play on the field regardless of the missteps off. If they didn't break the law, they were and still are revered.

That's it.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some might have some issues with the perceived "tree hugger" mentality of those from Northern California.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Montana/Young, Manning/Luck, Bledsoe/Brady, etc., etc. were best buddies?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is an ideal, to this point, leader on and off the field. A very mature and well spoken player--Bart Starr like. I am ecstatic that he is the face of the Packers.

Here's the rub. Favre's personality was obviously not the same. However, the banter on your post is generalizing people. Most GB fans loved the gunslinger personality. I was at the SB in New Orleans and thousands of fans went to Kiln to hang out with the toothless, uneducated, dirty and incestuous people you reference. I don't think they made that trip to make fun of their heritage as you just did.

Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Terry Bradshaw all had flaws. Johnny Unitas, Bob Griese, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana didn't. Bottom line fans embraced their play on the field regardless of the missteps off. If they didn't break the law, they were and still are revered.

That's it.

As I said ... not to generalize, just foolin' around. I make fun of myself sometimes. I won't get started on what I think of NASCAR, but I won't go there. We all like different things, nothing more to it than that.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some might have some issues with the perceived "tree hugger" mentality of those from Northern California.

Well ... it was many, many moons ago, but ... I saw the Grateful Dead over 30 times and lived to tell about it. I'm glad those years are over, but in short ... I have no issue with tree huggers and I vote conservatively. That said, you're right!

Members online

Latest posts