Was it really worth it to let Matt Flynn go?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Put this one in the "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" files.

Things aren't going the way it should have for Matt Flynn. From here he goes on to Seattle only to get the shaft there.
If we had kept him then perhaps he would have done better than Graham Harrell at the goal line and we would have had more breathing space against the Taints.
But a lot of fans on here were ready and OK with letting Flynn go. (I wasn't.)
What did we get in return?
Was it worth it?

What exactly is it about the situation that we "woulda coulda shoulda" done? Slapped a $15M franchise tag on a player that would have ideally never played a down except in garbage time? Traded Rodgers for a slewful of picks and made Flynn the starter? Those sound like potentially job and career-endangering decisions for Ted Thompson.

I'm just asking for some reasonable and realistic way as to how we could have kept Matt Flynn. You can't even say "match Seattle's offer" because 1) Paying nearly $9M a year to a backup is an enormous waste of resources and 2) There is no reason Flynn would have stayed here for the same amount knowing at the time he would have had no chance of ever starting here.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What exactly is it about the situation that we "woulda coulda shoulda" done? Slapped a $15M franchise tag on a player that would have ideally never played a down except in garbage time? Traded Rodgers for a slewful of picks and made Flynn the starter? Those sound like potentially job and career-endangering decisions for Ted Thompson.

I'm just asking for some reasonable and realistic way as to how we could have kept Matt Flynn. You can't even say "match Seattle's offer" because 1) Paying nearly $9M a year to a backup is an enormous waste of resources and 2) There is no reason Flynn would have stayed here for the same amount knowing at the time he would have had no chance of ever starting here.
Just think of this as the "Matt Flynn Appreciation Thread."

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just think of this as the "Matt Flynn Appreciation Thread."

Okay, I appreciate the fact that Matt Flynn was a very good backup QB for us. I also appreciate the fact that if Rodgers misses long-term time, it won't matter whether Matt Flynn, Graham Harrell, Vince Young, BJ Coleman, or Seneca Wallace is the backup QB.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

At least, God forbid, if Rodgers got hurt, we could offer Flynn a chance to come back as a fill in as he knows our system ? if thats at all possible under NFL rules ?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's wrong with wanting Matt Flynn back for the right price? The Vikings need a starting quarterback. We need a backup quarterback. BIG difference. The central question that should be easy for Packers brass to make is if what they had in Matt Flynn through 2011 was better or worse than the Seneca Wallace that they've seen over the past five weeks. I'm not sure that any of us know the answer since none of us have seen a pass out of Wallace. All that us fans have is recent memories of games played by both QBs when they were with other teams and other offenses.

All offseason and throughout camp we argued about whether Harrell or Coleman could go in and win a game if AR went down. At least as of 2011, we knew that Flynn could do it. Do we all have the same confidence in Wallace? That's tough for any of us to know except those that have seen him in practice.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'm not paying Flynn starter money to not botch a hand off in his only appearance that I remember. Now we get him back on the cheap. Completely worth it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Flynn is in a position to demand much, considering he's out of a job. Fortunately for him, he did get paid and hopefully set himself up for life.

I think he'll be back as our backup next year, it makes too much sense for him not to. Something like $1M a year for 2 years. But I doubt they make a change this year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts