Was Bobby Bowden treated fairly?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you haven't heard, Bobby Bowden is going to resign today from Florida St, under pressure from the AD.

It is being widely reported that he was given two options.

1. Remain with Florida St. as an "ambassador" to the team, while giving up his coaching duties.

Or,

2. Resign.

There have been several who have said he was not treated fairly. Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio said that someone of Bobby Bowden's stature "deserves to be treated better"

What I don't like about their position, is they also said that he is not above being let go if the school determines he has out lived his usefulness at the university.

Its either one way or the other. They never explained what they deemed as "fair treatment." In other words they were on the fence and didn't want to take a stance either way. Typical of Mike and Mike. They never want to rock the boat.

I think the AD has every right to do what he thinks is best for the school; not whats best for Bobby Bowden. What say you?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
School feels that they are doing whats best for the school more power to them

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just know this will turn somehow into another Favre thread, but I don't think Bowden was doing a very good job lately... And we all know what's the business motto. "What have you done for me lately?".

Was he threated fairly? I believe he had said that he intended to go one more year and then call it quits. I think it wouldn't be so bad to let him stay one more year, and then proceed to hire somebody...

bad93ex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was he threated fairly? I believe he had said that he intended to go one more year and then call it quits. I think it wouldn't be so bad to let him stay one more year, and then proceed to hire somebody...
He had been saying that for the last few years like someone else we know. I love Coach Bowden but he is 80 years old and FSU needs to head in a new direction hopefully to the top of the ACC. They have an absolute hotbed of talent in the state of Florida with 5 star recruits galore. I dont think it will take long for Miami - FSU rivalry to again be the best in the nation.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a huge Penn State fan, and I remember when people were calling for Paterno's head. And maybe rightfully so, we had a few losing seasons and it looked like the program was in the dump. But then PSU came out of no where and went 11-1, won the Orange Bowl (against Bowden's FSU ironically) and finished the season ranked #3. Does that mean if FSU would have stuck with Bowden longer the same would have happened, no. But I just feel bad for him cause he made that program what it was, and now he's getting pushed out. I can see the other side of the argument too though. It's just altogether a crappy situation.

Geneva09

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think that they should have fired them i would have liked to see him be the winningest coach ever

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had been saying that for the last few years like someone else we know. I love Coach Bowden but he is 80 years old and FSU needs to head in a new direction hopefully to the top of the ACC. They have an absolute hotbed of talent in the state of Florida with 5 star recruits galore. I dont think it will take long for Miami - FSU rivalry to again be the best in the nation.

Agreed.

And what nobody here is mentioning is how huge recruiting is for coaches and programs, and how a lame duck coach isn't going to be as effective in that regard. Jimbo Fisher was named the coach in waiting, but it had gotten to a point at FSU where potential recruits weren't certain which one would be their coach the next year, or the year after. Then you end up losing some of those speedy in-state recruits to UF, Miami, and even South Florida.

Joe Paterno is in a similar situation and has had more success, but there is more of a feeling that JoePa is going to coach until he is on his death bed than we had with Bowden.

I feel for Bobby Bowden, but like we saw with Favre (again, not to bring this into a Favre discussion) when it is time to move on it is time to move on for the betterment of the football program/franchise.

jmike

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say is there recruiting is better this year than in years past. Tons of national kids are listing FSU as a leader. Will be interesting to see what happens and if Jimbo can get them back on track.

Members online

Latest posts