Was anyone else not overly pumped about Sunday night's victory?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's just keep it civil... Leave acting like a jacka** to the troll, while the rest of us have legitimate conversations.
I was going to create an attack post but then decided to take the higher road and not sink down to the same level where scum lives.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with the OP because what we saw Sunday night after an early miss was Rodgers back to his pinpoint-accuracy best. The Packers will win the vast majority of games that Aaron Rodgers shows up for. And the Packers defense played as though they all read McGinn's critique, took it to heart and played with a lot more energy. The way the Packers stopped the Texans' running game was no fluke. If the passing offense plays like that and the defense plays with that kind of energy, "luck" won't be a factor.

Also, all mental errors are not the same. Yes, there certainly are "unforced" stupid errors in games. But a "stupid" holding penalty usually occurs because the blocker got beat. A "stupid" motion or off-sides penalty many times occur because the player feels the need to get an early jump on the snap because he's getting beat by his opponent.

The only caveat I would apply to the win is how Phillips played defense against the Packers. The book on defending the Packers is to rely on a version of the Tampa 2 D, with 2 deep safeties while playing a variety of coverages underneath. Phillips stuck with his one deep safety D for the majority of the time. He also helped Rodgers by blitzing (according to McGinn) on 50% of dropbacks and on 20% he sent all out blitzes. Don't get me wrong, if Rodgers is "on" and the receivers catch the ball it won't matter. But I'm glad Wade was stubborn. Justin Harrell just can't catch a break! I'm pretty sure he wasn't even in the stadium. (J/K -no spelling smack intended.)
Sorry for the slip. I did mean Graham Harrell. But when you get down to it Justin probably would not have done any worse handing the ball off. I was so thrilled that he executed 7 straight handoffs against the Texans Sunday. Of course MM was not going to let Graham TJ Rubley throw a pass.

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3 Interceptions, 3 Sacks, 6 TDs, and almost some decent rushing at times. Even Jerdropal couldn't screw it up for us.
I would say it was a pretty darned good day for the Pack.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now before I get to my point I don't want to take too much away from the Packer's much needed win. It was won fair and square and the better team walked off the field with a victory. That being said..

If not for the many Texan's mental errors, I figure this game is MUCH closer. Neutral zone infraction results in a Packer TD. Launching on the FG attempt results in a Packers TD. Personal foul beneath the pile results in a Packers TD. Take 3 potential TD's away from our offense had the Texan's defense been more level headed.

Good teams take advantage of mistakes and I know this, but in retrospect our "Juggernaut" seemed assisted during that game. I'm still not sold their offense after that performance, which is weird for me to say and hard for me to truly appreciated A-Rod's franchise record tying day. Your thoughts?

The short of it-

The Packers have been one of the best teams since 2009. The beginning of this season has been its roughest set of 6 opponents, net, over that time. The next closest 6 game strength was the 6 games that ended the 2010 season, wherein the Packers went 3-3. And this team should be 4-2 to boot. The long and the short of it is when you have a concentration of tough teams, you're not going to look as brilliant as you would like.

The long of it-

Pro-football-reference has their SRS (simple rating system) that is indeed simple yet it is powerful. There are a lot of proprietary rankings out there based on intricate stat evaluations fed into a formula to produce a ranking for each team. The SRS simply takes a team's average margin of victory and modifies it for the modified margin of victory of every team they have played. It concentrates on a team's ability to push away from zero (the natural mean in a closed system) taking into account the hindrance of the slate of teams played in trying to do the same thing. Its failing is not speaking toward consistency, but for being so simple its going to be limited, but it cuts to the chase faster than just about any other ranking method I've seen.

So far in 2012, the Packers are 5th out of 32 as far as SRS. And the Packers have played the most teams that are in the top 10 in SRS. The Packers simply have had a tough schedule to play, along with a short week to start the season followed up with the 4 road games out of 5. Then toss in the meat skewer to the dirt box in Seattle and the Packers are a solid 4-2 team that has had season endangering loss thrust on them.

The upside is the Packers have a relatively easy schedule from here on out, the downside is injuries are getting too steep.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
Penalties and mistakes are a common part of every football game. The trick is keeping them to a minimum. Our offense finally came alive and got the job done looking like they did last year. Now we can only hope that they can stay focused and continue scoring points.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Lets be honest with ourselves here just a bit.. while the win against the Texans announced to the world of talking heads "that the Packers still have it", we all should know that this Packer team is better than they have played to date this season. Couple that with a Texans team that had a couple key injuries (Cushing and Joseph) that affect their defense greatly, not to mention that the Texans are reliant upon the run almost too heavily.

That helped setup, yes a much needed victory, the Packers regaining their swagger somewhat and almost more importantly, hopefully their confidence.

It was a great win.. but unless this team builds upon it, will it be remembered past this weekend? Hopefully it will be remembered as the turning point of the season, thus remembered well past Sunday.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets be honest with ourselves here just a bit.. while the win against the Texans announced to the world of talking heads "that the Packers still have it", we all should know that this Packer team is better than they have played to date this season. Couple that with a Texans team that had a couple key injuries (Cushing and Joseph) that affect their defense greatly, not to mention that the Texans are reliant upon the run almost too heavily.

That helped setup, yes a much needed victory, the Packers regaining their swagger somewhat and almost more importantly, hopefully their confidence.

It was a great win.. but unless this team builds upon it, will it be remembered past this weekend? Hopefully it will be remembered as the turning point of the season, thus remembered well past Sunday.

We were with out Jennings and BJ...........so maybe a wash?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
We were with out Jennings and BJ...........so maybe a wash?

Jennings.. that had more impact in the early part of the season, the Packers have adjusted out of that reliance some IMO. Raji, to me, he is not as stout on the run as Pickett is at nose.. so while it hurt not to have him in the rotation, I firmly believe Pickett being forced (my opinion he should be there more frequently with Raji kicking outside some) to take the bulk of the snaps helped us more than Raji absent hurt us.

Texans use the run to setup a decent, but not able to support itself of a passing game. Johnson just doesn't have the same burst he once had. Past him, the Texans really lack outside talent.. Daniels can carry the load in the center of the football field, but the Texans almost more than any team in the league rely on their PA pass to bolster the passing game. If I am them.. with than defense and running game.. I swing a trade for another target on the outside for them. The AFC is there for the taking.. I would strike while the stove is hot for the Texans.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Who doesn't get breaks when they win? The Colts got breaks vs. the Pack too, started with a Rodgers pick.

See now I didn't see that as a 'break'. I thought the guy played the route perfectly ... I'm thinking that is the 2nd or 3rd time this season that Aaron's been picked on that route - I told my son that the DB was watching film and was waiting for that one. We sometimes forget that the other guy gets paid to play too.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From re-watching the game, Sam Shields committed a PI which put the Texans close enough to the goal line so they could score their first TD of the game.
And from seeing the penalties the Texans did to the Pack which did help the Pack, it looks like overall the Pack played smarter football.
And that is something to be celebrated not to feel down about.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts