Was 2010 Lucky, or Magical?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back on the past 4 years, we have 3 colossal playoff defensive flops, surrounded by the one Holy Super Bowl win of 2010, in my city of Dallas.

In the 2009 playoff season, we made Kurt Warner look better than ever. It was his greatest game of his career, even though he was about to retire. The week after, he was beaten easily, battered. We, on the other hand, barely touched him, and he had more TD passes than incomplete passes that game against us.

2011, we had the record-setting offense, Rodgers as good as any QB ever, and we had the supposed homefield advantage.
But our offense had an off-day, with some rare fumbles by Kuhn & Grant, and an amazing strip-sack on Rodgers on a quick 3-step drop.
But if the defense knew how to tackle, we'd have still had a chance to win.
Of if they knew how to prevent a Hail Mary from becoming a touchdown at the end of the half to turn a 3-point game into a 10-point game.

And then this year, we all know it clearly as it's still a fresh taste in our mouth.

Starting in week one, our D made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady. They also made old Frank Gore look like Adrian Peterson.

Week 5, in the 2nd half, we made Andrew Luck look like 1984 Dan Marino. It was Luck's best game of the year, and was also Reggie Wayne's best game in many years.

We got blown out at the Giants again, losing 31-10 at the half.

And then, of course, we were Adrian Peterson's favorite team ever. We also did the unthinkable, managed to make Christian Ponder look like an MVP candidate in week 17.

Of course, we then made Colin Kaepernick look like a cross between Adrian Peterson and Andrew Luck against us.

But what about 2010?
I've always said we owe an awful lot to David Akers for missing not one but two FGs that are normally automatic for him. He had beaten us in the 4th & 26 failure with 2 longer kicks. This year, of course, he nailed a 63-yarder against us. But that day in Philly, he missed 2 easy ones. Had he made just 1 of those 2, they could have kicked a FG at the end to beat us. Instead they were down by 5 and had to go for the TD, which they almost had.

But that was Philadelphia, not the Giants. Philly is terrible as we have seen since that game. They were 8-8 last year and 4-12 this year. They were frauds as it turns out.

The next week we went to Atlanta, a team with a terrible defense and a team who had never won a playoff game under that coach and QB, until this week. How good was Atlanta really? Well the next year, which was 2011, they lost their first playoff game again, scoring 2 points total. Matty Ice, Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzalez, were shutout in the playoff loss last year round one.
What if we had to play at New Orleans instead, who always scores 31+ on us?

Then we of course beat the Chicago Bears with Jay Cutler and Caleb Hanie. No Eli or Brees, or even Kaepernick there. Was that a great team? The Bears? That was the only season in the last 6 where they even made the playoffs, hence Lovie Smith being fired.

I would say we had as good of 3 favorable matchups as we could have gotten.

Then the Super Bowl and the Steelers. A great game, our defense made some big plays, and we hung on to win.
But how great were the Steelers really? They were getting old, and they have not won a playoff game since then.
Neither have we except the bye win against Joe Webb.

And all this during an unpresidented 5-year stretch of brilliant QB play from Aaron Rodgers.

We all know that the defense probably is about 95% to blame for there just being one season of playoff wins. As great as Rodgers has been with the Jennings, Driver WR core, that's it. Isn't it fair to assume that Rodgers peaked in the 2010 playoffs-2011 regular season?
He can't get/do better than that. And despite that, just the 2010 playoff run against 3 teams who have not won a playoff game since that magic carpet ride. As great as he's been, he can't do it all himself.

The 2010-11 off-season talk of a potential dynasty is long gone. Sadly.

Here's my first question to you:
Do you think that Rodgers will be a one-time Super Bowl winner like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Brett Favre?

This will be one we can look back on every year at this time and see who was right.

I see 2 teams in particular getting better in San Francisco and Seattle.
I also see Washington, if RG3 can stay healthy, getting better. We still matchup badly with Eli and the Giants, and Eli is only a year older than Rodgers I think.
Atlanta appears to have gotten the monkey off their back. Watch how much better they do against Kaepernick this week compared to us.

Even though Vandermause defended Capers this week, he wrote that the days of the Packers being an NFC Elite team are over.
Don't you agree it will take drastic changes -of some kind or another- to get this defense to become a strength instead of a fatal weakness every post-season?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the answer to 2010, I think we just got hot and were playing our best football at the best time. That was it. The Eagles game could have gone either way, but after the Falcons game, you just knew we weren't going to be stopped and I think the team knew it too.

I don't agree with Vandermause (on much of anything) when he says our days of being an elite NFC team are over. What is "elite", first of all? We were still by definition the 3rd best team in the NFC, right? We're a perennial playoff team, and we're the only team in the NFC to have made the divisional round of the playoffs every year of the last three. Now we'll be getting healthy again, trying to fix those few holes, and should be right back in it next year.

San Francisco is clearly "better" right now, but that can change with a few things as simple as a couple injuries to key players or a few close losses that keep them at home. Look at the Giants this year. The 49ers aren't going to just kill us with read option every time we face them for the next 10 years. So frankly, I think Vandermause has been mostly just talking out of his *** since last Saturday.

San Francisco is going to deal with the same salary cap issues that everyone has. I think it's important we stick to what got us to this level. All it takes is a few panic moves to put us back in salary cap hell. No one wants to go through 2005 and 2006 again.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's going to take a drill sergeant and some passionate players. When our Defense has a fire lit, they do well, when they dont, they struggle. Our players have admitted that discipline isn't this team's thing. THAT is the #1 thing that has to change. Some passion/spark/leadership out there could go a little ways to fixing that, depending on our draft.

Offense we need EDS to make better line adjustments, Finley to continue looking like the guy he's supposed to be, and Sherrod to be the Tackle we expect.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
It was a combination of luck and everybody hitting their peak exactly when we needed them to.

Had Detroit not beaten Tampa we wouldn't have even made it in.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a combination of luck and everybody hitting their peak exactly when we needed them to.

Had Detroit not beaten Tampa we wouldn't have even made it in.

Well, we were a #6 seed. There's pretty much a disclaimer like that for every #6 seed every year.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frank, come off the ledge! We all know Saturday sucked, which is just like 3 of the past 4 years. But, that's the state of the NFL right now. It's turnover every year. It's a credit to this team that it wins division titles and regularly in the playoffs. Last year, we ran into the hottest team in football that ended up winning the SB. This year, it could be the same damn thing.

We are a top-5 team in my opinion. Think about, I can't think of many teams that I would absolutely say we'd have no chance against. Our defense needs to improve and it should. We drafted 6 players last year and I foresee a similar draft strategy this year. We saw how the infuse of young talent improved our defense this year. It should only get better with experience and the return to health of many players. The Packers have a core group of talent that will always keep them in the SB hunt. At that point, it's a matter of getting hot at the right time and having some luck to go with it - just like it is for every other team in the league.

Also, as to your point about getting favorable matchups to make the Super Bowl - that's a very glass-half-empty approach. They won three road games against playoff-caliber teams. And even if you consider those three teams less than elite, it doesn't diminish the end result because they were the only team that didn't lose to these so-called less than elite teams.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back on the past 4 years, we have 3 colossal playoff defensive flops, surrounded by the one Holy Super Bowl win of 2010, in my city of Dallas.
Colossal flops? You have to realize, the other team wants to win also. Just because we don't win doesn't mean we suck, it may just mean the other team played even better or 'had the bounces go there way' a few more times than us.

In the 2009 playoff season, we made Kurt Warner look better than ever. It was his greatest game of his career, even though he was about to retire. The week after, he was beaten easily, battered. We, on the other hand, barely touched him, and he had more TD passes than incomplete passes that game against us.

Not even close. Kurt Warner was the Greatest Show On Turf. For 2 years with the Rams he was the greatest QB of all time. Better than Marino, Montana, . . . Pinpoint passing 40 yards down the field hitting a WR perfectly at full stride time and time again. Part of it is he had 2 HOF quality WRs and a RB, he would have started as a WR for most NFL teams.

But what about 2010?

The 2010-11 off-season talk of a potential dynasty is long gone. Sadly.
Winning the SB is a very difficult task. Winning it back to back is even tougher. The best you can do is keep your team full of young developing talent and hope the ball bounces your way a few more times than your opponents way.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We are a top-5 team in my opinion. Think about, I can't think of many teams that I would absolutely say we'd have no chance against. Our defense needs to improve and it should. We drafted 6 players last year and I foresee a similar draft strategy this year. We saw how the infuse of young talent improved our defense this year. It should only get better with experience and the return to health of many players. The Packers have a core group of talent that will always keep them in the SB hunt. At that point, it's a matter of getting hot at the right time and having some luck to go with it - just like it is for every other team in the league.

Also, as to your point about getting favorable matchups to make the Super Bowl - that's a very glass-half-full approach. They won three road games against playoff-caliber teams. And even if you consider those three teams less than elite, it doesn't diminish the end result because they were the only team that didn't lose to these so-called less than elite teams.
I can't think of any. A very few that our chances go under 50% but no team is unbeatable with a roster like ours.

Actually I think that's very important. Matchups are a big thing, and an even bigger thing to overcome. Not impossible, just improbable.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're looking for. By suggesting that it was luck, are you saying we need to be looking at major changes in the organization? I don't know about you, but I don't expect we'll be in the Super Bowl every year or even the conference championship. As long as we're in contention, we're doing something right.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

without doubt I would say luck in my opinion. another 5 minutes in that game and I think we would have lost it. I LOVE my team but I`m a realist too :oops:

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're looking for. By suggesting that it was luck, are you saying we need to be looking at major changes in the organization? I don't know about you, but I don't expect we'll be in the Super Bowl every year or even the conference championship. As long as we're in contention, we're doing something right.

Admittedly it is likely probable that every championship team benefited from some element of luck during their run. I'm fairly content to see my team contend each year, a lot of fans maybe get to see their team appear in a championship game once in their life - especially in Football. In comparison I've seen my team appear in three and win twice in the 18 years I've been a fan. I just want to see this team be competitive come the post-season. They haven't really been doing that with respect to recent years.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admittedly it is likely probable that every championship team benefited from some element of luck during their run. I'm fairly content to see my team contend each year, a lot of fans maybe get to see their team appear in a championship game once in their life - especially in Football. In comparison I've seen my team appear in three and win twice in the 18 years I've been a fan. I just want to see this team be competitive come the post-season. They haven't really been doing that with respect to recent years.

Just a baby. I've seen the Pack win 7. :p

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Tony Romo not choked his chicken at home against the G-Men last season (they were up double-digits in the 4Q and Romo missed a wide open WR to seal the game late: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311211006), the Giants would have missed the playoffs last season.

We aren't alone in getting some luck on our run to the SB.
OMG, tell me about it.
Dallas had that game won. Totally choked.
That play you allude to, was an open Miles Austin, and Romo misinterpreted which angle he would go... a pretty short pass too. Would have iced the game and division.
It was similar to the one Rodgers missed to Jennings in that playoff loss to the Giants. But a shorter pass.

Yeah the Giants have had plenty of good luck as well in those 2 SB wins.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's going to take a drill sergeant and some passionate players.

Well, if a drill sergeant is what you want, I'm sure Chuck Cecil would take the job. And no, I have no problem with this:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe our offense was good enough to win the past 4 Super Bowls.
I believe our defense, yes, we need something major done to improve it.
Adding another Nick Perry in Rd 1 & Jerel Worthy in Rd 2 won't turn it around will it.
Another year under Woodson's belt won't help.
Will Mike Neal last all year next year? And he was our best interior linemen pass rusher too.
I love Pickett, but he's barely able to move across the kitchen very fast anymore.

Good health would help, but Woodson's comments resonate with me.
I think the best chance for a legit improvement would be with a better DC. Who is that?
Hopefully Ted is assessing that question right now.

Great point on the Lion win at Tampa Bay that week 16 of 2010 to just get us into the playoffs. The Lions hadn't won a simple road game in like 2 years til that game.
It was almost like magic on our side there at the end of the year, DeSean Jackson doing this to keep the Giants from getting in as well.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
We had a lot of outside help on that magical carpet ride, in addition to Akers blowing two field goals he normally makes.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a great point most people forget.

Again, I don't think anyone's forgetting that. Just don't really see the point when you can pretty much say that about any team that gets in by one game or a tiebreaker every year.

Let's take this year for example. If Chicago's defense can stop Seattle on 4th down late in the game at home, Minnesota doesn't get in.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we at least finally put away the notion that this team has to win a "certain way" or for that matter have a "certain regular season" to get to the Super Bowl? While I have always favored being a low seed and being the underdogs because you can play with house money and not have to worry about getting upset, I still stand by the notion that great teams build their own momentum in the playoffs, regardless of anything before that.

For example, the Ravens: Struggled down the course of the season, changed offensive coordinators, still struggled. BOOM. Hit playoff time they (so far) got to the AFC Championship Game.

Seahawks: Won 7 out of their last 8 games. Averaging 42.5 points their final 4 games, with that already stifling defense. Lost to the Falcons.

Falcons: Went 2-2 in final 4 games. Lost to Carolina and Tampa Bay. Beat Seahawks (above) and got to the NFC Championship Game (so far)

49ers: Won 2 out of last 3, but had a lot of serious questions about them heading into playoffs. NFC Championship Game (so far)

Patriots: Don't really follow my rule. Won 2 out of their last 3. go to AFC Championship Game. (so far)

While these are only a few teams, I did include all the teams still playing in their respective championship games. You'll find that 3 out of the 5 completely changed their momentum they were having from the start of the season, and possibly 4 if you count the 49ers. At the very least is shows there is no correlation between how your regular season ended and how your postseason will turn out. (For those fans saying we had to get hot at the right time towards the end of the regular season) Just my 2 cents.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in 2010 the packers, just got into the playoffs, and sometimes that can be all you need.

Luck is always a factor in winning the super bowl but it isn't everything. They almost lost to the Eagles and the bears(if i remember correctly) but looked incredible in the super bowl because they matched up a lot better against the steelers. You couldn't really run on the steelers, but you could pass all day on them as long as you kept Harrison and others contained, which they did.

And the biggest reason the packers won the super bowl in 2010 was that their Defence was great. and made plays when they needed to. and that is one of the main reasons why the packers are at home now. And the fact they can't seem to win against physical, smash mouth teams, like the Niners, Seahawks(yeah i know the fail mary but they scored 12 points all game, that is pathetic and won't win you many games), the giants.

It comes down to the fact that the packers are too soft and can't seem to regain that high level of play they had during their super bowl run. And I think a starting point is to hire a new D Coordinator, someone who can light a fire under the defences butt, and hope McCarthy will figure out that you need to run the ball.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
in 2010 the packers, just got into the playoffs, and sometimes that can be all you need.

Luck is always a factor in winning the super bowl but it isn't everything. They almost lost to the Eagles and the bears(if i remember correctly) but looked incredible in the super bowl because they matched up a lot better against the steelers. You couldn't really run on the steelers, but you could pass all day on them as long as you kept Harrison and others contained, which they did.

And the biggest reason the packers won the super bowl in 2010 was that their Defence was great. and made plays when they needed to. and that is one of the main reasons why the packers are at home now. And the fact they can't seem to win against physical, smash mouth teams, like the Niners, Seahawks(yeah i know the fail mary but they scored 12 points all game, that is pathetic and won't win you many games), the giants.

It comes down to the fact that the packers are too soft and can't seem to regain that high level of play they had during their super bowl run. And I think a starting point is to hire a new D Coordinator, someone who can light a fire under the defences butt, and hope McCarthy will figure out that you need to run the ball.
"Smash mouth" is a defensive term IMO. Niners and Seahawks offenses, even the Vikings, are run heavy neanderball offenses. There's nothing fancy, it's not the "splendiferous show" that title makes it out to be, its not "in your face." It is what it is and it IS simple vanilla/bread pudding run the ball to the advantage. If it didn't get so many yards we'd call it boring like we do our run run pass second halves. What makes NYG/SF/SEA dangerous is their sufficient pass attack.

As for MM running the ball, that's the OC's job to remind him, and a QB coach is wan to do such.

Members online

Latest posts