Walker grumbling about contract extension AGAIN...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Here's a scenario for ya'..

Walker comes back in '06 and lights up the league like he did in '04 and turns around and tells TT and Packers f*** y** for '07...because they took a "horses' ***" attitude and didn't make any overtures to retain him....

i can't believe some of the attitudes on this board....like if anyone asks for just compensation from the Packers people rip into them because it should just be an honor to play in GB....

that is just ridiculous....

and Z2C...c'mon...$500k a year...for 5 years...

Why doesn't anyone mention what the "owners" are making off of this game...everyone loves to saddle it on the players....Look to the owners...C'mon..these people give their lives to this game..!

You related to the OJ defense team? You like to push the view aside and forget ALL facts such as ... his signing bonus. Just like the OJ defense team, moutains of evidence but 'wait look over here it was a conspiracy an by gosh the glove doesnt fit!!'

:roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
if my GM pays big bucks to a player who just missed an entire season..i'd be a lot more pissed than if he didn't.

is that what you want him to do? give him a nice, long, fat contract after a serious injury!?!

thats sounds like an awful idea to me P@ck.

dont preach your common sense to wrong66...its falling no deaf ears.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CBA expires and the owners win.

Almost half the players make some level of minimum wage. They do not want to have the minimum wage disappear.

There is a lot more to a CBA than wages. Retirement, medical insurance, food and lodging, etc. Even if some items don't expire, if they are not renewed inflation will lower benefits long term.

If an average players career is 4 years. A year of lockout/strike hurts them more than the owners. Now they are demanding 60 percent of all revenues.

The owners cannot accept such a demand. Most players will not benefit.

Ted Thompson seems to be getting the Packers younger and cheaper in preparation.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Here's a scenario for ya'..

Walker comes back in '06 and lights up the league like he did in '04 and turns around and tells TT and Packers f*** y** for '07...because they took a "horses' ***" attitude and didn't make any overtures to retain him...

He can't!! With the expiration of the CBA he is ineligible for free agency in 2007. They can still tag him for 2008.

There is no reason to renegotiate his contract so soon.

They may if a CBA is approved but Walker is in a very bad position.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said,

"Ted Thompson seems to be getting the Packers younger and cheaper in preparation."

In preparation for what Cheez...losing?

What you people fail to understand is that if, as a GM...you say to your players/employess...."F*** Y** son..there's nothing you can do about it...you're in a bad position...and you are basically screwed..Now go out and play for the GB Packers..."

You are creating a disgruntled employee..(Lord hope that your not a manager or boss of anyone CaliforniaCheez because if you are, i'm sure they can't stand you, and try to cut corners to screw you every chance they get...with that attitude.)

This is what can't happen with Walker and others, or else TT will never get another quality player to walk through the door, and eventually he'll even have trouble signing his draft picks. NOw I'm not saying to throw the bank at Walker, but if I were TT I would tread very carefully in this situation, and make sure I made the right decision, and make sure to make overtures in Walker's direction that you are interested in his remaining a GB Packer because he is valuable to the team.

(and gopack..I know we don't have an owner...maybe you should because for better or worse, it would give some overall direction to the team and ACCOUNTABILITY...now I know this is heresy to say this here because you all feel like you are owners, but in reality you are not!)

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
CaliforniaCheez said,

"Ted Thompson seems to be getting the Packers younger and cheaper in preparation."

In preparation for what Cheez...losing?

What you people fail to understand is that if, as a GM...you say to your players/employess...."F*** Y** son..there's nothing you can do about it...you're in a bad position...and you are basically screwed..Now go out and play for the GB Packers..."

You are creating a disgruntled employee..(Lord hope that your not a manager or boss of anyone CaliforniaCheez because if you are, i'm sure they can't stand you, and try to cut corners to screw you every chance they get...with that attitude.)

This is what can't happen with Walker and others, or else TT will never get another quality player to walk through the door, and eventually he'll even have trouble signing his draft picks. NOw I'm not saying to throw the bank at Walker, but if I were TT I would tread very carefully in this situation, and make sure I made the right decision, and make sure to make overtures in Walker's direction that you are interested in his remaining a GB Packer because he is valuable to the team.

(and gopack..I know we don't have an owner...maybe you should because for better or worse, it would give some overall direction to the team and ACCOUNTABILITY...now I know this is heresy to say this here because you all feel like you are owners, but in reality you are not!)

hmmm, 66 - "disgrunted employee" or "spoiled rotten brat"??? ...............
choices, choices, choices!!! :roll: :twisted:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, 66...sounds like another "stick it to the man" rant. Bottom line is Walker made money up front in the form of a signing bonus, so that "paltry" $500K is not a true number. Hey, I would love for these guys to forego the big bonus and work for TRUE annual salaries (perhaps incentive laden), but as long as the players, and their agents, demand the up front dough, then they are in no position to ***** when their last year or two is on the "cheap"...which it is not. Cannot have it both ways.

And my money says that if TT did sign Walker to a big contract prior to knowing how healthy he was, and he did not return to form, you would be standing on the mountain top ramming it down TT's throat as the greatest blunder since Mandarich.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack,
Right on the money. Walker was paid a substantial amount on the front end. That's how it was structured and it was a good deal for him. He was far from a "can't miss" player and actually was fighting for a position on the team as a starter to begin with.

He was paid big bucks on the front end and could have turned out to be a bust but now all his agent wants to point out is this years amount and not what the original bonus money adds to it.

He wanted the big upfront guarantee when he couldn't guarantee anything in return at the start. Can't get it on both ends Jack. He wouldn't be *****in' if he had REVERSED how he wanted to be paid.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
digsthepack,
Right on the money. Walker was paid a substantial amount on the front end. That's how it was structured and it was a good deal for him. He was far from a "can't miss" player and actually was fighting for a position on the team as a starter to begin with.

He was paid big bucks on the front end and could have turned out to be a bust but now all his agent wants to point out is this years amount and not what the original bonus money adds to it.

He wanted the big upfront guarantee when he couldn't guarantee anything in return at the start. Can't get it on both ends Jack. He wouldn't be *****in' if he had REVERSED how he wanted to be paid.

There are virtually NO PLAYERS in the NFL who do not start contract talks heading into the last year of their contracts unless they want to get the HELL OUT OF DODGE through Free Agency.

Walker received the standard contract for a 1st round draft pick slotted in his selection -- no more, no less. This is the standard set by the league using the contract signing numbers from the previous season with a COL adjustment.

The league is filled with guys who have their contracts renegotiated when they progress to Pro Bowl consideration, to say nothing of to the level of All Pro as Walker did in 2004 (after a great finish to 2003) -- often initiated by the team because they do not want to expose them to FA.

Again, Walker has been silent on the issue, and his agent and T.T. talked. Both confirmed the talks and both denied that any trade demands were issued. This is desperate writers trying to create a story out of nothing -- as I said a "tempest in a teapot."

Fans who are bent out of shape because the guy -- who works hard, has great talent and has NEVER held out thinks he deserves more money are out to lunch.

Ted Thompson is not a fool. He is not going to hand away money before seeing how Walker has responded to treatment and healed -- and no one has advocated for him to do so. But T.T. is also is wise enough to know that talent like Walker's is very hard to find. This team has far too many needs to cast aside its best WR because fans are pissed that he thinks he deserves more money.

Murphy rehab has gone well, but he is faced with a serious decision. The doctors have told him what he faces if he decides to play again and now he and his family have to make that decision. Murphy is a great example of just how quickly a NFL players career can pivot. Just like J. Walker was reminded when he tried to gain a few extra yards after the catch when trying to bring his team back in the opener against Detroit, instead of going out of bounds -- but I suppose that is me living in the past again?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

On the 66 issue -- you all know that he is a huge Brett Favre fan. Look how he performed without adequate WR last season. It currently looks like Murphy will not be back and casting aside Walker as many of you have suggested would not only be foolish -- it would seal the deal of Favre's retirement.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok..Bruce..now I'm an "issue"..??

Frankly, i'm offended.....

But seriously...what nobody is saying is that after this year, Walker has fulfilled his contract....and what then...mind you...what then???

As Bruce has made clear...you just don't throw away players with Javon's talents at the drop of a hat....because they are not easy to replace at all in today's NFL...

If walker has another pro-bowl year at 600 k this year...He is going to be awfully hard to keep in the future......

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im sure gardner will be signed for a multiple year deal if a deal is reached. so if we dont have javon in 07-08, we'd have gardner, probably driver...add a FA here, and a draft pick there..

its not that big of a deal. It would suck if javon didnt come back, and id understand if he didnt want to...but...

just like when favre retires, the world will keep spinning. realize that.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
The way Bruce, Trom, and Z2C have put it, then I can now see where they are coming from. Comparing Walker's salary to Ferggy's does show that Walker is being done a disservice. From that end point, yes Walker should get more money. I also agree that his production from 04 warrants him being paid. But that is where I stop, because I would not be willing to pay Walker elite money. There are a very few WR's how can still produce in the later stages of their careers, and I'm not sure Walker can be one of those people. After looking back a little closer, I would have to change my argument and agree with Bruce and Z2C, that yes Walker deserves a raise. But I still believe Walker wants top level salary, which I am not in favour of giving him. I simply think it would be a mistake, to pay Walker Marvin Harrison type money.

Trom, another seperate issue, but I do agree with you that Gardner should be signed, yet I can't see him being a starting WR. I think he is the type of player that will eventually take plays off once he gets the money.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, with our current QB...it doesnt matter what you are called. It doesnt matter if you're called "The #1 reciever on the depth chart" it doesnt matter if you're the "slot" reciever. Favre doesnt care. If you catch the ball, he will throw your way. If you give him reasons to not trust you..he wont.

I think too much emphasis is placed on being 'starting' WRs. Look at joe jurevicious this year.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..the world will keep spinning for the Packers....TT-roidaz...

out of control....

I guess "it didn't matter" last year either....when Favre was throwing to receivers just signed off the street who couldn't open, run a good route, or fight for the ball..right???

Why should Favre have "quality" receivers to throw to...he's Brett Favre?

Well let me clue you in on something TT...it does matter...and that is what Favre is probably weighing in his mind right now before he decides to come back or not....and i'm sure Favre would rather have a talented, crafty VETERAN (you hear that TT?) to throw to like Moulds...rather than the NFL europe quality receivers he had last year....

When a team double covers DD...it would be nice for him to have someone to throw to that knows how to get open in the NFL, and not stand there with his thumb up his ***....but of course, TT-romadz you know best.....and perhaps you prefer to watch the Green Bay Thumb Up Their *** Packers...instead of the regular Green Bay Packers...i don't know...

Me..I hope that went away with the SherRossley era???

(By the way...anyone know if Tom Rossley's career is burning up the NFL charts..???)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're damn right it matters. Jesus Christ, did you guys watch the games last season. I know it doesn't matter to some of you guys if Favre returns but you can bet your *** he won't return if Walker isn't here and we don't make a MAJOR move to upgrade our receivers.

Based on Favre's latest statements we shall see real early in the free agency period if TT really wants him back. He said he does. starting March 3rd it's time to put his money where his mouth is.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's not anybody in their right mind that doesn't believe the guy should get more money. The point is that now is not the time to start clammoring about it. No one was making any moves until this CBA deal ran it's course and it wouldn't make sense to start renegotiating existing contracts until the FA's we go after are signed and their contracts are in place.
It would seem to me that there is merit in doing things in an order that makes some sense.
There's a whole lot of players that are going to have their contracts renegotiated this year. I haven't heard of a lot of that having been done this early.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Problem last year was not that we were out our # 1 Wideout it was the fact that there was no running game and a large disparity between the quality of the # 1 Donald Driver and Ferguson. I mean I dont know much about defenses but I think I could be a D coordinator against last year incarnation of an offense.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
There's not anybody in their right mind that doesn't believe the guy should get more money. The point is that now is not the time to start clammoring about it. No one was making any moves until this CBA deal ran it's course and it wouldn't make sense to start renegotiating existing contracts until the FA's we go after are signed and their contracts are in place.
It would seem to me that there is merit in doing things in an order that makes some sense.
There's a whole lot of players that are going to have their contracts renegotiated this year. I haven't heard of a lot of that having been done this early.

But remember, all that has happened is his agent approached Ted Thompson and expressed interest in getting something done before this season. A contract like this is going to take months to hammer out at best (or even if at all).

I was happy to see J Walker fire Drew Rosenpig, but would advise him to fire his new agent if he were not approaching the team about a new contract heading into his final year of his rookie contract. That is ALL that happened, yet here we are in thread titled "Walker grumbling about contract extension AGAIN..."

Ask yourself why???

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Bruce....there is nothing unusual about this request. He does need to show up at the minicamps, however, to become familiar with the new coaching staff and system. He hasn't threatened to sit out, so this is cool so far. I know he probably won't participate in the minis because of his rehab but he needs to be there.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of this matters if there is no agreement by midninght Thursday.

The game changes completely.

If there is no agreement, signing Javon Walker will not be a high priority, sounds like there will be plenty of top notch players available.

Javon will be back to play out his contract, because someone will overpay for quality recievers a year from now.

The NFL as we all have come to know it will be a thing of the past.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce,
I agree with you if that's all the agent asked for. If that's the case it's all a lot about nothing. TT gives a two word answer, "O.K., fine". End of story.

There's a big difference in asking for something to be done right now vs. before the season starts. After last year everone knew he would want his contract redone this year as is the norm going into the last year.

IF in fact the CBA is not in affect after next year TT would be nuts not to work out something long term. Now that he knows what the deal is I'm confident he will.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Yeah..the world will keep spinning for the Packers....TT-roidaz...

out of control....

I guess "it didn't matter" last year either....when Favre was throwing to receivers just signed off the street who couldn't open, run a good route, or fight for the ball..right???

Why should Favre have "quality" receivers to throw to...he's Brett Favre?

Well let me clue you in on something TT...it does matter...and that is what Favre is probably weighing in his mind right now before he decides to come back or not....and i'm sure Favre would rather have a talented, crafty VETERAN (you hear that TT?) to throw to like Moulds...rather than the NFL europe quality receivers he had last year....

When a team double covers DD...it would be nice for him to have someone to throw to that knows how to get open in the NFL, and not stand there with his thumb up his ***....but of course, TT-romadz you know best.....and perhaps you prefer to watch the Green Bay Thumb Up Their *** Packers...instead of the regular Green Bay Packers...i don't know...

Me..I hope that went away with the SherRossley era???

(By the way...anyone know if Tom Rossley's career is burning up the NFL charts..???)

I love when you're wrong, and it happens so often...u really light up my life, baby.

I didnt say "it doesnt matter" if he has quality WRs. I said, "it didnt matter" what they're called, as in #1,slot,flank,etc. As usual, you read something totally wrong, in your bizzaro brett favre is god world.

DD is not called a 'starter' or '#1' WR to a lot of people, but is he good? yes. Can he catch? yes. Is he reliable? yes.

thats my point. We need guys like that. Gardner was turning into one of those guy near the last 2 games of the year. Will he be a #1? no. Will he be a number 2? no. Does it matter? no.

PS - anyone remember when Gardner hurdled that defender and then landed on his head? That was so cool. You know Favre liked that effort.

Members online

Latest posts