Vikings

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Al Harris had to tackle AP low, otherwise he woulda got crushed. I know you're not saying its a cheap shot, I'm just sticking up for Al Harris.

I am? WTF...

Whether or not he needed to go low is neither here nor there. My point is that anybody who takes a hit like that would suffer an injury. It cannot be blamed on AD taking a lot of punishment during games.
9 times out of 10 a guy won't get hurt on a hit like that. He just had his foot planted at the exact right (or wrong, really) time that caused him to get hurt. But it could have been ALOT worse.
AD needs to learn how to avoid the hits, like Barry Sanders did. Otherwise he will get hurt bad and have a short career. Sanders always had a bullseye on him, cause he was pretty much the whole Lion's O. Yet he pretty much avoided injury. He was "Houdini" on the field. I don't want to see AD hurt. I want us to beat him when he's 100%. That makes it much more enjoyable! Remember when we held Sanders to i believe -1 yard? That was sweet!

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
tromadz said:
Al Harris had to tackle AP low, otherwise he woulda got crushed. I know you're not saying its a cheap shot, I'm just sticking up for Al Harris.

I am? WTF...

Whether or not he needed to go low is neither here nor there. My point is that anybody who takes a hit like that would suffer an injury. It cannot be blamed on AD taking a lot of punishment during games.
9 times out of 10 a guy won't get hurt on a hit like that. He just had his foot planted at the exact right (or wrong, really) time that caused him to get hurt. But it could have been ALOT worse.
AD needs to learn how to avoid the hits, like Barry Sanders did. Otherwise he will get hurt bad and have a short career. Sanders always had a bullseye on him, cause he was pretty much the whole Lion's O. Yet he pretty much avoided injury. He was "Houdini" on the field. I don't want to see AD hurt. I want us to beat him when he's 100%. That makes it much more enjoyable! Remember when we held Sanders to i believe -1 yard? That was sweet!

Well I disagree with the bolded statement completely. I would say that 9 times out of 10 a guy would get hurt with a shot directly to the side of the knee like that. You can't avoid every hit, and this was one example.

I understand what you are trying to say about AD needing to learn not to seek out contact - all I am trying to say is that injury was not the result of his running style.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys get hit from the side at the legs all the time. So i stand by my statement. I bet that kind of hit happens in every NFL game. Anytime a RB runs through the line guys are going at their legs from the side. To me it's surprising there arn't more injuries to the legs.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys get hit from the side at the legs all the time. So i stand by my statement. I bet that kind of hit happens in every NFL game. Anytime a RB runs through the line guys are going at their legs from the side. To me it's surprising there arn't more injuries to the legs.

Maybe it's one of the main reason an RB's career is so short. Keep in mind, Jim Brown's 12k yards lasted a really long time for an NFL record. NFL backs trying to catch that were literally getting their knees broken. My father (a Bears' fan) swears to this day that Gale Sayers was possibly the most exciting back he's ever seen, and he didn't last long at all.

The difference between those days and today are surgery has improved drastically. A career ending injury in 1975 is now a one-year setback.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Well it takes 12 pounds of pressure to screw up a knee from the side. So if the foot is planted and the weight is on it, it's toast. The only upside is the player may not have much weight on it and the foot slides or gets hit in the upper body so the leg is not locked.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are right........i didn't think of all the guys that have been injured like that.
Oh well......not the first (or last time) i'll be wrong on something.
You are right Nodak!

Members online

Latest posts