Vikings on list of top 5 worst offseasons

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pleased to see the Vikings on SI columnist Michael Silver's list of the five worst offseasons (so far) in the NFL. They came in at #5 (after the Bears, Chargers, Titans, and Browns, in that order). Here's what Silver wrote about the Vikings:

When a local columnist, in this case Tom Powers of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, publishes a non-satirical piece headlined "Conspiracy Theory: Vikings Purposely Self-Destructing," you know it has been a rough offseason.

Whether or not owner Zygi Wilf is actually trying to weaken his franchise so that it will be easier to move the team is beside the point; the fact that enough Minnesotans are talking about it to warrant a column means that there are serious questions about the team's ability to compete under the reign of Wilf and second-year coach Brad Childress.

Right now the Vikings' quarterbacks are Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger, which indicates that either a) Childress is a genius who is a step ahead of the rest of us; b) Brady Quinn is on the way; or c) the conspiracy theorists have a point.

It gets better: The Vikings just shelled out $15 million over five years to acquire ex-Titans wide receiver Wade, prompting two NFL executives to call Pioneer Press beat writer Sean Jensen to mock Minnesota for spending too much on a mediocre player. Similar charges have been made concerning the Vikings' acquisition of former Giants backup tight end Visanthe Shiancoe, who got $7 million in guaranteed cash.

If Minnesota really wants to beef up its passing game, perhaps Wilf should pick up the phone and call Al Davis. I hear that for the right price, Randy Moss is available.

Here's the link to the article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/03/22/bad.offseasons/index.html

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there are some definite concerns in the Viking Fan Camps, I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in what Michael Silver has to say.

Unless you also agree with his assessment of Favre. This is from last year.

"Time to go - Favre and rebuilding Packers just aren't working"

"The Packers are a rebuilding team, and it's already clear they're going nowhere in 2006."

"Whatever he says publicly, I have to believe that Favre, as a competitor, would rather play for, say, the Redskins or Buccaneers than he would for this year's Packers."

Favre - Time to go

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't agree with that article on Favre. But if I disregarded every writer who I had a disagreement with, I wouldn't read any of them.

Besides, Silver is not the only one who is less than impressed with what the Vikings are up to these days.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there are some definite concerns in the Viking Fan Camps, I wouldn't put a great deal of stock in what Michael Silver has to say.

Unless you also agree with his assessment of Favre. This is from last year.

"Time to go - Favre and rebuilding Packers just aren't working"

"The Packers are a rebuilding team, and it's already clear they're going nowhere in 2006."

"Whatever he says publicly, I have to believe that Favre, as a competitor, would rather play for, say, the Redskins or Buccaneers than he would for this year's Packers."

Favre - Time to go

Probably the best "In your face" post I have seen in a while.

Kudos Vikesrule

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post was not intended for Vikings fans (otherwise I would've posted it in a Vikings forum), but now that I have a couple of you on board, what do you guys think of the Vikings off season? I think Silver is right to question their QB situation and the big contracts for Wade and Shiancoe. I also think there are legitimate questions about the new owner. And something Silver did not mention is that Brad Childress did not seem to go over well with his players in his first year as head coach.

It does not look like Jamarcus Russell or Brady Quinn will fall to the Vikings in the draft, so the QB situation is really not looking good right now. Now that David Carr is free, he could be your salvation. I think he's a good player who will prosper in the right situation. But the Vikings still have serious concerns at WR and the entire right side of the O-line.

Just for the record, I think the Packers off-season has been pretty uneventful, but not horrible by any means. Favre is coming back, Al Harris got a contract extention, and Cullen Jenkins got resigned. Whatever signature moves are to be made in this offseason, if any, have yet to come.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a bears fan, so I think that the viking offseason has been stellar!!!!

Packers offseason has been good if the young talent continues to mature. They will be in good cap shape for years to come.

Bears offseason has been below average. Archelata will obviously make or break the offseason. If he can come in a solidify the run D, then it was a great move. I am skeptical. Bears have lost a ton of depth.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think David Carr would be a HUGE addition to the Vikings.............thats why i hope it doesn't happen!
They have BIG time QB problems, and i'd like to see it STAY that way!
(Sorry Vikesrule!!!)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(Sorry Vikesrule!!!)

No you're not! :nono:

Young QB's can have some problems, like this guy.

On his first regular season play for a certain team, the young QB threw a pass which was deflected and caught by himself. He was tackled and the completion went for -7 yards. The team lost the game 31-3, chalking up only 106 yards passing.

In his second game for the same certain team, he fumbled four times and was sacked six times during the course of the game.

You know who that QB was ! :razz:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
(Sorry Vikesrule!!!)

No you're not! :nono:

Young QB's can have some problems, like this guy.

On his first regular season play for a certain team, the young QB threw a pass which was deflected and caught by himself. He was tackled and the completion went for -7 yards. The team lost the game 31-3, chalking up only 106 yards passing.

In his second game for the same certain team, he fumbled four times and was sacked six times during the course of the game.

You know who that QB was ! :razz:
You are RIGHT! I'm NOT sorry!!!LOLOLOL!!!!
Yes.....we KNOW it was Favre you are talking about. The same guy that has thrown over 400 touchdowns, won a Super Bowl, and 3 NFL MVP awards! I guess that young QB turned out ok! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....I guess that young QB turned out ok! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

True.

It would have been interesting to see this forum, and the comments on Favre in the very beginning. :kickcan:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
....I guess that young QB turned out ok! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

True.

It would have been interesting to see this forum, and the comments on Favre in the very beginning. :kickcan:
I know Vikes.......this forum wasn't around back then. But i do know there were alot of people saying "What the heck is Ron Wolf doing!?!?"
Hindsight is always 20-20 of course, and we have the luxery of seeing the results 16 years later.
Just like we saw how the Tony "Manwich" (Manderich) saga played out. Talk about DRAFT DAY BUSTS!!!
At the time, he looked like the real thing. Almost EVERYONE thought he was gonna be the best O-lineman to ever play the game. Who knew he was a 100% product of "roids?"