Viking + DUI = no surprise

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ANOTHER DUI ARREST

Drunk driving isn't a phenomenon that is limited to NFL players. Coaches are also getting in on the act.

The most recent suspect? Vikings defensive backs coach Joe Woods, who reportedly was arrested Friday night on suspicion of drunk driving. Coach Brad Childress says that he didn't know enough about the incident in time to make a decision regarding Woods' status for Sunday's 30-20 win over the Lions.

Specifically, Childress says that he wasn't even aware of the incident until Sunday morning.

Um, if the guy got busted Friday night and kept it quiet from the boss for more than 24 hours, isn't that failure alone enough to warrant swift, decisive action from Childress?

"That will be between Joe and I," Childress said on Sunday regarding the overall incident. "I don't know enough about it to talk about what's going on. I was just made aware of that this morning."

Woods came to Minnesota with defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, who previously served as defensive backs coach in Tampa. Woods worked with Tomlin as a quality control assistant.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/866904.html

DETROIT - Vikings defensive backs coach Joe Woods faces possible discipline from the team after an arrest Friday night on suspicion of drunken driving, but coach Brad Childress said he did not know enough about the incident to make a ruling in time for Sunday's 30-20 victory over the Lions.
Media outlets began reporting the incident Saturday evening, but Childress said he was not informed until Sunday morning. As a result, Woods traveled with the team to Detroit and performed his normal duties from the coaches' box during the game.

Woods, who declined to comment through a team spokesman, was arrested in Minnetonka by the Minnesota State Patrol, said Lt. Mark Peterson. The police report was not available Sunday, and Woods' blood-alcohol content was unknown.

Childress has talked often about creating a "culture of accountability" to combat the Vikings' long history of off-field problems. Responding to offenses ranging from missed meetings to felony charges, Childress has cut one player and reduced the playing time of three others since the season began.

Childress, however, noted that some players have been disciplined in ways less public than playing time -- perhaps through fines.

When asked whether he will apply the same standards to Woods, Childress said: "Yeah, but there's a few issues that you don't know about in terms of players. That will be between Joe and I. [But] I don't know enough about it to talk about what's going on. I was just made aware of that this morning."

Woods, 36, is a close friend of Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons working with Tomlin in Tampa Bay. Tomlin was the Buccaneers' defensive backs coach, while Woods served as a quality control assistant.

Childress has made clear that players who run afoul of the law or do not abide by team rules will face disciplinary measures.
Do you think he will claim the arrest was motivated by racism?

Members online

Latest posts