Vikes acquire Jared Allen

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
NodakPaul said:
Alcoholism is a disease. .

Saying everyone that drinks and drives has a " disease" is a slap in the face to those who drink responsibly.

He didn't say everyone that drinks and drives or people who drink responsibly. He said alcoholism. Which, probably means alcoholics.

Just saying.
My point was Jared Allen doesn't have any disease. He just made a few really stupid choices. "Alcoholism" is just a myth of a disease that someone came up with to coddle people who are too stupid to get a cab. People who drink and drive belong in jail. Not AA meetings.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Formo said:
IronMan said:
NodakPaul said:
Alcoholism is a disease. .

Saying everyone that drinks and drives has a " disease" is a slap in the face to those who drink responsibly.

He didn't say everyone that drinks and drives or people who drink responsibly. He said alcoholism. Which, probably means alcoholics.

Just saying.
My point was Jared Allen doesn't have any disease. He just made a few really stupid choices. "Alcoholism" is just a myth of a disease that someone came up with to coddle people who are too stupid to get a cab. People who drink and drive belong in jail. Not AA meetings.
I never thought alcoholism was a "disease". Yes, there are people that become addicted to it. I would call them "alcohol addicts", not that they have a "disease". I mean, do we call drug addicts "people with a disease?" Not that i know of.....we call them addicts.
But today, if someone makes some poor choices and drive drunk, they cry "I have a disease" and get away with it, because they are "sick". I see people doing that all the time........if they go to work drunk, and get caught, they cry "i have a disease" and keep their jobs. They might not really be alcoholics, they just liked to do it and they got caught. Then they use the "i'm sick" as a way of getting out of having to pay for their poor choices.
Yes, there are real people that need real help.............the "i'm an alcoholic" cry is just used WAY to often to get away with making poor choices in my view. It's an easy out to not have to pay the consequences for your actions. Which is way to prevalent in today's world.

Formo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
So how did Koren Robison work out for you guys BTW?

Alcoholism is a disease. Nobody laughed it off. Both the Vikings and Allen are taking it very seriously. The Vikings have protected themselves contractually from Allen having another setback. And Allen has made it clear that his drinking days are behind him.

I think I need to make myself clear, first I believe that everyone is entitled to a second chance. I hope for his sake that those days are behind him.

Major difference in the contract and price given up to obtain the player.. in terms of Robinson and Allen. We picked up KRob on the wire and signed him to a minimal deal. Low Risk... and as it turned out low reward as well. How will the Allen deal work.. time will only tell.

But has Allen really taken his offenses seriously? He signed a DUI citation as a joke.. to me that doesn't seem like taking it seriously.. if nothing else it was poor taste.

I am not really trying to rip the Vikings.. moreso fans in general. If Allen was someone that just showed up in a post within a paper in rural MN or WI, there would be comments ripping the guy to shreds and condemming him for his poor choices.

Yet attach him to a sport in which he can play at a high level.. and all is forgotten, forgiven and is in the past. Yet in Allen case.. after strike three.. what did he decide to do.. invest in a bar. Granted the bar closed.. but the reason stated for readings is because Allen himself had changed teams and moved. Wonder is lack of personal appearances had anything to do with it.

In summary.. I figured I would restate my opinion that the risk in this case is great... maybe even to great for the potential rewards.

BTW... how come someone like Thurman gets nailed twice for alcohol and drug offenses, has served one full year suspension already and has just been suspended again.. yet Allen whom has 3 on his record serves little to nothing?

While I agree with your post initially.

First off.. People change. Not saying he will or will not. But just saying.

Also.. The risk vs. reward is WELL in favor of the Vikings. On the field it would suck.. But financially, it wouldn't hurt the team much.

As far your last question.. How close were those alcohol and drug offenses? Maybe the league cracks down harder on the drugs (you know.. because, they're illegal). Allen's last offense was in '06.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
Clifton vs. Allen

Credit goes to Zero2cool and his website for this clip.

manhandled. yeah that seems worth the money and draft picks.

You can pick out a bad clip for any player. I could put together a whole string of Fav-re clips that would make him look like a horrible QB. However, we both know better. We both know better for Allen too.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
IronMan said:
Clifton vs. Allen

You can pick out a bad clip for any player. I could put together a whole string of Fav-re clips that would make him look like a horrible QB. However, we both know better. We both know better for Allen too.

we do both know better... but that shouldn't stop us from poking fun now should it.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Packnic said:
IronMan said:
Clifton vs. Allen

we do both know better... but that shouldn't stop us from poking fun now should it.

Nope. It shouldn't. ;)

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
Well - you're entitled to disagree.

But NOTHING you wrote there contradicts what I wrote:

You can observe what happens when the play is run, but you do NOT know what play was called, what defense was called, what assignments were made and what assignments were missed.

You seem to believe that by observing the action you can form great insights into what was called. Well - the run behind the LG that goes for 10 and the run behind the LG that is dropped for a 2-yard loss are probably the same PLAY. Was one call good and the other bad?

Hard to judge if you don't know the defense, isn't it? Hard to judge if you don't break down who made their blocks and who didn't? Hard to judge if you don't make note of the DT missing the tackle and the MLB filling the hole?

Please. Arm-chair "experts" are wrong more times in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter of the first game than NFL coaches are during the entire season.

At least I have the sense to admit that my knowledge is dwarfed by theirs.

You know what's annoying?

It's people who think you have to have a ****ing degree in everything to have an opinion.

People like you are the people the author of Wizard of Oz were making fun of.

By the way, Mr. Have To Be An Expert To Have An Opinion About Anything, know a woman who felt a lump in her breast. Mr. Degree Doctor said it was nothing. She's now dying of breast cancer, for it has spread to the rest of her body. She's already lost both breasts. But of course, her opinion means nothing, right? Because she's just an armchair expert and doesn't have a degree, nor any experience playing doctor.

Damn, people like you annoy me.

You know what annoys me?

People who read something and then pull **** out of it that just isn't there.

I'll type it again, so maybe you'll get it this time:

You
Have
No
Idea
What
Play
Is
Called

You
Have
No
Idea
What
Defense
Is
Called

You
Have
No
Idea
What
Assignments
Are
Made
And
Missed

Clear enough?

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Zeus said:
Well - you're entitled to disagree.

But NOTHING you wrote there contradicts what I wrote:

You can observe what happens when the play is run, but you do NOT know what play was called, what defense was called, what assignments were made and what assignments were missed.

You seem to believe that by observing the action you can form great insights into what was called. Well - the run behind the LG that goes for 10 and the run behind the LG that is dropped for a 2-yard loss are probably the same PLAY. Was one call good and the other bad?

Hard to judge if you don't know the defense, isn't it? Hard to judge if you don't break down who made their blocks and who didn't? Hard to judge if you don't make note of the DT missing the tackle and the MLB filling the hole?

Please. Arm-chair "experts" are wrong more times in the first 5 minutes of the first quarter of the first game than NFL coaches are during the entire season.

At least I have the sense to admit that my knowledge is dwarfed by theirs.

=Z=

You know what's annoying?

It's people who think you have to have a ****ing degree in everything to have an opinion.

People like you are the people the author of Wizard of Oz were making fun of.

By the way, Mr. Have To Be An Expert To Have An Opinion About Anything, know a woman who felt a lump in her breast. Mr. Degree Doctor said it was nothing. She's now dying of breast cancer, for it has spread to the rest of her body. She's already lost both breasts. But of course, her opinion means nothing, right? Because she's just an armchair expert and doesn't have a degree, nor any experience playing doctor.

Damn, people like you annoy me.
=Z= just got :eek:wned:

=IM=

Yeah - he really owned me by ignoring what I wrote and coming up with his own rant, with a little sympathy tossed in to sway the reader.

=Z=

Members online

Latest posts