Vikes acquire Jared Allen

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
save the "durrr, you're scared shitless! jared allen is gonna destroy aron rogers! best change your britches! durr!" response.

So you are completely disregarding Jared Allen?
He was the NFL sack leader when he played on a worse line. Now he is lined up next to the Williams wall, and if you can't see that as a legitimate threat, then you are really blinded by fandom.

What do you think is more foolhardy? Convincing yourself that Jared Allen is going to strike fear in the heart of Rodgers, or completely dismissing him as a threat? They both seem to be on about the same level of stupid to me. JMHO.

When did I say I was completely disregarding him? Oh yeah, nowhere. Keep trying.

Good addition to your team, but the posts by some Vikings fans thinking the second coming has been signed is funny to me, that's all. Like most years, it's just me having a laugh at Vikings fans and their team.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
tromadz said:
save the "durrr, you're scared shitless! jared allen is gonna destroy aron rogers! best change your britches! durr!" response.

So you are completely disregarding Jared Allen?
He was the NFL sack leader when he played on a worse line. Now he is lined up next to the Williams wall, and if you can't see that as a legitimate threat, then you are really blinded by fandom.

What do you think is more foolhardy? Convincing yourself that Jared Allen is going to strike fear in the heart of Rodgers, or completely dismissing him as a threat? They both seem to be on about the same level of stupid to me. JMHO.

When did I say I was completely disregarding him? Oh yeah, nowhere. Keep trying.

Good addition to your team, but the posts by some Vikings fans thinking the second coming has been signed is funny to me, that's all. Like most years, it's just me having a laugh at Vikings fans and their team.

Well, you called Allen overpaid and a a big move that would blow up in the Vikings' face. Sounds to me like you are doing your best to minimalize the addition.

I remember hearing how great the Vikings were gonna be the other year when they got that overpaid Olineman who wasn't close to living up to his contract.

Gotta overpay on both sides of the line, I guess.

Offseason is a time of hope for fans of crappy teams. Enjoy it.

Another 'big' move the Vikes like to make that blows up in their face.

I actually like it when people overestimate the talent of their team and underestimate that of their rivals. It makes their defeat sting that much more. ;)

Is Allen the second coming who will propel the Vikings to the super bowl? Of course not. Does his addition propel the Vikings defense to a new level? Of course. Despite having no pash rush last year (which is one of the biggest reasons our secondary suffered), the Vikings defense finished in the top half for points scored. This will put them in the top ten, if not the top five. And that will put the Vikings into the playoffs.

Now if only TJack can get his act together, we will have the makings of a contender...

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
bozz_2006 said:
And it goes back to what I was saying earlier, Pack93z. It feels great to have a FO who has shown us that we can have faith in them.

Vikings fans: If you want me to describe to you how that feels, I would be happy to oblige.

Take a look at the last couple drafts, take a look at how they work our players contracts, most of our FAs have been decent the past couple years. The Vikings are headed in a good direction. Much better then when Tice was HC.

I would agree that personnel-wise, you are improving from the Tice era, but as bad a head coach as Tice was, I haven't seen anything from Childress that would lead me to believe he's any better.

I have to agree with you Bozz. Childress has an owner that has proven he will spend the money to add talent to try to win a championship, or at least be competitive. Tice worked for an owner that wouldn't even pay to fix the air conditioning at the Vikings training facility. This is a make or break year for Childress. He has done nothing to this point. He has not proven that he is capable of being a successful coach in the NFL.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Pack93z said.

I think the bigger question when it comes to Aaron.. is can he stay healthy?

I completely expect him to struggle at times and make bad decisions.. anyone thinking otherwise is going to be disappointed.

I think Rodgers will be out for at least 4 games. So who the Pack have at the number 2 QB position will matter a great deal. It may make a difference on them taking the division or a playoff spot.

Even though he has 3 season's carrying a clipboard he is bound to make some of the standard rookie mistakes. At least I haven't seen him do a "jump" pass like Jackson.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said.

I think the bigger question when it comes to Aaron.. is can he stay healthy?

I completely expect him to struggle at times and make bad decisions.. anyone thinking otherwise is going to be disappointed.

I think Rodgers will be out for at least 4 games. So who the Pack have at the number 2 QB position will matter a great deal. It may make a difference on them taking the division or a playoff spot.

Even though he has 3 season's carrying a clipboard he is bound to make some of the standard rookie mistakes. At least I haven't seen him do a "jump" pass like Jackson.

Mostly because you haven't really seen him make any passes since he was busy growing barnacles on his butt while sitting behind Fav-ruh.

I find it hilarious that Packer fans think an unproven QB is going to be great based on less than one half of real football, but will quickly dismiss Jared Allen's worth to the Vikings defense, in spite of his 15.5 sacks last year playing for a team that was always behind and rarely dealt with a team that was passing a lot.

=Z=

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jared Allen is the best player ever. He is going to single handedly turn that franchise around. He is going to throw for Jackson and he's going to coach for Childress. He can't be stopped!

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jared Allen is the best player ever. He is going to single handedly turn that franchise around. He is going to throw for Jackson and he's going to coach for Childress. He can't be stopped!

I may have found my new .sig file.

=Z=

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom has all that confidence in Allen simply because he was so successful in turning around the Chiefs..... :crazy:

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trom has all that confidence in Allen simply because he was so successful in turning around the Chiefs..... :crazy:

Yeah, Allen had no impact on the Chiefs. I mean, he only accounted for 15.5 of their 37 sacks last season... I am sure he brings nothing to the table. :crazy:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
trippster said:

Yeah, Allen had no impact on the Chiefs. I mean, he only accounted for 15.5 of their 37 sacks last season... I am sure he brings nothing to the table. :crazy:

Yeah, 15.5 sacks for a team that did such damage in the playoffs.

The Packers, led by left tackle Chad Clifton, did a good job of keeping Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen in check, limiting the NFL's sack leader to just half a sack and two tackles. Allen had six sacks in his previous two games.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
trippster said:

The Packers, led by left tackle Chad Clifton, did a good job of keeping Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen in check, limiting the NFL's sack leader to just half a sack and two tackles. Allen had six sacks in his previous two games.

151/2 sacks for a team that was playing from behind in most games. That is impressive. I only watched the Chiefs play one game last season. In that game Jared Allen took Bryant "Mount" McKinnie to school. I don't know what Chief got the game ball for that game. I know that Allen deserved it.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
NodakPaul said:
trippster said:

151/2 sacks for a team that was playing from behind in most games. That is impressive. I only watched the Chiefs play one game last season. In that game Jared Allen took Bryant "Mount" McKinnie to school. I don't know what Chief got the game ball for that game. I know that Allen deserved it.

thats right... just keep thinking that spending money and adding free agents will make you winners. it works for the redskins. its like they didnt learn their lesson the previous years of "great offseasons."

Stats are great to look at. but what real addition did he make to the progress of the Cheifs. because they went 4-12 last year. So next time you mention 15.5 sacks... just remember to add 15.5 meaningless sacks.

they were willing to part with him. that says a lot in the first place, regardless of whatever stupid amount you offered to pay for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah? Playing from behind to you means??? Insert any joke you wish there..

Packer game, got his .5 sack in 2nd quarter, yup playing from behind

Lions loss, down by a Td with still part of 3rd and entire 4th to go..got his 1st sack..2nd sack down by 2 with half of 4th to go

Beat the Viks, he got 2 sacks

Beat SD, he got no sacks ** side note, 2nd SD game he got a sack on 2nd play of the game, and a sack on last play of 1st quarter..Yup playing from behind ***

Beat Cinncy he got 2.5 sacks

Beat Oak, he got 2 sacks

NJ loss, got 1st sack in 1st q, BTW, end of 1st q was 0-0..Yup playing from behind..2nd sack came with NJ leading 7-0 in 2nd q..

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
longtimefan said:
NodakPaul said:
trippster said:

thats right... just keep thinking that spending money and adding free agents will make you winners. it works for the redskins. its like they didnt learn their lesson the previous years of "great offseasons."

Stats are great to look at. but what real addition did he make to the progress of the Cheifs. because they went 4-12 last year. So next time you mention 15.5 sacks... just remember to add 15.5 meaningless sacks.

they were willing to part with him. that says a lot in the first place, regardless of whatever stupid amount you offered to pay for him.

The weren't willing to part with him. They had to franchise him to keep him, and even then he made it clear he wanted out. They knew that trading him was the only way they would get any value out of him.

Go ahead and keep underestimating him though...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry Nodak... i didnt realize he wanted out of there. that makes a little more sense.

im not saying the kid can't play football though. im just saying that before you annoint him the savior of football in Minnesota. You might wanna see training camp. what if he hates it there too. its not exactly like hes walking into a winning enviroment. i think he definetly will help your defensive line BUT....

plenty of bigger names have been busts before.

I still dont think you guys are counting on Arod's speed. While he isnt super fast by any stretch of the imagination.... he is about 3 times faster than Favre in his later days. One more year of offensive lineman gelling together and adding speed to the backfield makes that D-line (that didnt stop us last year) less likely to be effective against us.

If Arod has time in the pocket or if he is scrambling... we have very good recievers to take care of it. Guys that know what to do when someone is on the move and guys that can take even short throws and turn them into 20 yard bursts. Even if Allen pressures Arod all day, we still have options.

thats all words however... and we just have to wait till the season starts.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with you Bozz. Childress has an owner that has proven he will spend the money to add talent to try to win a championship, or at least be competitive. Tice worked for an owner that wouldn't even pay to fix the air conditioning at the Vikings training facility. This is a make or break year for Childress. He has done nothing to this point. He has not proven that he is capable of being a successful coach in the NFL.

Vike - Hate to say this, but if you read Brad Childress's wikipedia page, it echoes a lot of the stuff I was saying about him as a Coach. I think some of your fellow Purple fans are delusional that he will improve his gameplanning.

You seriously have a solid team. I'd be worried if you had a Coach. You don't. That's why I'm not worried.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:

Vike - Hate to say this, but if you read Brad Childress's wikipedia page, it echoes a lot of the stuff I was saying about him as a Coach. I think some of your fellow Purple fans are delusional that he will improve his gameplanning.

You seriously have a solid team. I'd be worried if you had a Coach. You don't. That's why I'm not worried.

Well, dayum, you read it on the innernet, so it must be true!

=Z=

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer game, got his .5 sack in 2nd quarter, yup playing from behind

Lions loss, down by a Td with still part of 3rd and entire 4th to go..got his 1st sack..2nd sack down by 2 with half of 4th to go

Beat the Viks, he got 2 sacks

Beat SD, he got no sacks ** side note, 2nd SD game he got a sack on 2nd play of the game, and a sack on last play of 1st quarter..Yup playing from behind ***

Beat Cinncy he got 2.5 sacks

Beat Oak, he got 2 sacks

NJ loss, got 1st sack in 1st q, BTW, end of 1st q was 0-0..Yup playing from behind..2nd sack came with NJ leading 7-0 in 2nd q..

Great rebuttal and stats LT, too bad none of the purple people eaters acknowledged this.

Again, before anyone pounces on Packer fans for selling him short, I'm not. He's a great player, but not one that will single-handed lead them to the Super Bowl.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:

LOL. Wikipedia. Obviously the source of all truth...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
vike4life said:

LOL. Wikipedia. Obviously the source of all truth...

While that page isnt ALWAYS reliable, it is monitored and there are fact checkers verifying statements posted...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care what ANY web page says about Childress..........as long as he keeps doing the same as he has done in the past, i'll be happy.

Members online

Latest posts