Vikes acquire Jared Allen

V

Vikeman

johnny_blood said:
"Mortgaging the future" does not require giving away *future* draft picks.

You gave up three picks and the team had to raise money just to pay the signing bonus. That has implications for the future.

I'm not convinced it is mortgaging the future, but this is a high risk deal in my opinion. This is using free agency to take a shot at a championship right now instead of building depth. I really don't think ANY NFC North team should have that strategy right now.

I suppose if you just assume your team will waste the draft picks on more bust DEs, the deal looks a lot sweeter.

Please understand that the Vikings are in win now mode. With the need for a new stadium. Wilf has done more for this team then any owner in the history of the Vikings. Like I said our cap will be fine...and we gave no future picks up.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Please understand that the Vikings are in win now mode. With the need for a new stadium. Wilf has done more for this team then any owner in the history of the Vikings. Like I said our cap will be fine...and we gave no future picks up.

100% agreed.. with Pat Williams closer to the end and the online about peaked (excluding RT) .. time to strike now.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
This deal is surely the ultimate excuse to justify a move. "We did everything to win, and they wouldn't build us a stadium!" The owners would all sympathize.

I really hope that doesn't happen, though.

Bingo.. it is forcing MN hand politically.. either build a stadium or we have to increase the revenue stream somehow.. what better way than to move into one of the largest open markets in the country. New stadium being built.. and the city government and NFL beggin for a team.

Can you imagine if the Packers asked the city for a capital loan to sign a FA.. off more tax money.. yikes.

I agree it is being done to force the legislature's hand... but the chances of them moving are still relatively slim.

It isn't "Pay up or we will move somewhere that will" like it was in the Red McCombs days. Zygi is doing this to prove to the legislatures that there is no way he can field a competitive team given the revenue stream from the Metrodome. He is showing them that the Metrodump is NOT a viable place to play, and a new stadium is needed.

Look at it from Zygi's point of view. Why on earth would they invest an extra $50 million to date in the Vikings if they didn't expect to get that money back? And what is the easiest way for them to get their money back? By getting a new stadium - and then investing in the subsequent development spurred by it.

Wilf made his money off from real estate development, and he has made it clear that he wants a large chunk of the development rights around the new stadium. If Wilf moves to another venue, such as LA, where another private investor already has stake in the development, then they will not earn the money back as quickly. If he was going to move, it would be to a venue where the community would help pay for a stadium and he could reap development rights. Right now there are no other venues that present a better chance of getting that done than Minnesota.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Look at it from Zygi's point of view. Why on earth would they invest an extra $50 million to date in the Vikings if they didn't expect to get that money back? And what is the easiest way for them to get their money back? By getting a new stadium - and then investing in the subsequent development spurred by it.

Wilf made his money off from real estate development, and he has made it clear that he wants a large chunk of the development rights around the new stadium. If Wilf moves to another venue, such as LA, where another private investor already has stake in the development, then they will not earn the money back as quickly. If he was going to move, it would be to a venue where the community would help pay for a stadium and he could reap development rights. Right now there are no other venues that present a better chance of getting that done than Minnesota.

Maybe I am trying to connect too many dots.. but.. LA announces that they are building a new stadium without a football team to fill it currently. Just announced last week.. with no team, that means the city (and probably the NFL behind the scenes) is footing the bill at the moment. No obligation from a franchise or ownership group up front.

Then the eternal (at least it seems like it) issue to get a new stadium built in the cities.. how many years is it going on?

Add to your above point on the lack of revenue currently, and it seems like Zigi and company have the leverage in their corner. Building a championship caliber team isn't hurting them on either side.. staying in MN or pulling up stakes and moving to say hmm LA.

Again.. I agree the chances are remote because the TC and MN would be foolish to let the revenue machine that is the Vikings, a piece of the NFL leave their state.

I just think the capital leveraging is making the situation a bit more dicey for the fans of the franchise. By the way, whom have very little control individually on whether the stadium is built or not.

Marrdro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
This trade puts Childress firmly on the hot seat. It does not take him off of it. Anything less than a NFC North Championship is not acceptable. There are no more excuses for Childress.

If the Vikings fail, and Childress says, "Our quarterback still needs time to develop", tough luck, you picked him. He was your man. He has to win now or say "Asta La Vista Baby" to Childress.

I could not have put it better V4L.

I could.

You two spewing that drivel over herr as well? I guess no one listens to you on the other site so you feel it will fly over here. :D

Consistency at the HC position is what will get it done. The Chiller isn't going anywere this year or the next for that matter.

By the way, we went 8-4 last year with TJ behind a OL that could run block but struggled pass blocking and a few recievers who couldn't hang onto the ball.

Watch what this year brings.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viking situation reminds me of Cleveland before they went to Baltimore. Cleveland owner got a nice cash bonus to move....could that be how the viking owners plan on getting their return?

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Vikeman said:
The hatred on this site is overwhelming. You guys act like we traded future picks for the guy. We have all of our picks in the next 2 drafts. We did not mortgage the future. One of those 3rd rounders wasn't even ours. Allen is worth the 17th pick and a 3rd rounder. Matter of fact if you add all of the picks up we traded, it would be equivalent to the 9th overall pick...based on the point system. Are you telling me a team would pass on a nfl sack leader at pick number 9? I still don't thnk it
puts over the hump but I am excited about him playing next to the Wiliiams boys.

it's not just the picks, it's the money. You guys now have the highest paid defensive player in the league, and the highest paid O-lineman in the league (I think Hutch is still the highest.) Your team was already strapped for cash. They are not a solid team. You have poor depth. Future draft picks and the Vikings' own FAs will need to be signed in the coming years and the Vikings won't have the money to do it. Salary cap issues don't happen overnight, the happen over time due to situations just like this one.

I know it looks like you have tons of cap space, but those phony bonuses that are set up will come back to bite you in the future. Fudging the numbers only works for so long. The only hope is that those with the bonuses agree to restructure or get cut. Sorry, but Jared Allen doesn't scream "team player", and I'd bet you dollars to donuts that he won't restructure, meaning there is a very real possibility that he'll get cut after two or three seasons. Suddenly, those draft picks you guys gave up are going to look much more attractive than they do now.

Just more proof that the Vikings are turning into the Raiders, Redskins, or (shudder...) the Lions. Hate? Hell, I LOVE the Vikings FO. lol

Wrong again...geez if you want to debate let's at least have knowledge of what were debating.

oh boy, you got me there. I was hoping you wouldn't realize I have no knowledge.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember hearing how great the Vikings were gonna be the other year when they got that overpaid Olineman who wasn't close to living up to his contract.

Gotta overpay on both sides of the line, I guess.

Schutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikesrule said:
vike4life said:
This trade puts Childress firmly on the hot seat. It does not take him off of it. Anything less than a NFC North Championship is not acceptable. There are no more excuses for Childress.

If the Vikings fail, and Childress says, "Our quarterback still needs time to develop", tough luck, you picked him. He was your man. He has to win now or say "Asta La Vista Baby" to Childress.

I could not have put it better V4L.

I could.

You two spewing that drivel over herr as well? I guess no one listens to you on the other site so you feel it will fly over here. :D

Consistency at the HC position is what will get it done. The Chiller isn't going anywere this year or the next for that matter.

By the way, we went 8-4 last year with TJ behind a OL that could run block but struggled pass blocking and a few recievers who couldn't hang onto the ball.

Watch what this year brings.

Jeeze Mar, even valiantly defending Chilly Dawg over on a Packers forum.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
No doubt he's a very good player and we'd rather not play against him. But long-term, even if he keeps playing like last season I am not sure he's worth a first rounder, two third rounders, and $74 million with $31 million guaranteed. (Of course, I hope not!)

I can see why Childress would like it, since it will help get him off the hot seat this year. But long term, that's a big price.

I'm here on PF.com to educate, so I'll start here.

With the possibility of an uncapped year in 2010, signing one of the top-5 DEs in the NFL to a large contract prior to that is not necessarily a big price, since with no cap, who knows what the market will bring when lead by such fiscally responsible men as Jerry Jones and Danny Snyder.

The Minnesota Vikings have the PREMIERE capologist in the NFL working for them. I would think the annual dumping of cash into their coffers above the cap limit would have taught Packerland by now that there is a genius at work in Winter Park. And - now that the opportunity has been given to cash in on that genius and bring in a big-time player, they have the space and flexibility to do it.

I would think Packer fans would understand the impact that bringing in a big-time pass-rusher in the prime of his career can have on a building franchise.

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember hearing how great the Vikings were gonna be the other year when they got that overpaid Olineman who wasn't close to living up to his contract.

Are you talking about Hutchinson? Pretty sure that the Vikings run offense has vaulted into the elite of the NFL since his arrival - while the Seahawks' has sunk.

And that "overpaid" contract he signed is now a bargain, because idiots like Jerry Jones give that kind of money to mediocre fools like Leonard Davis.

=Z=

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think all new pf.com members who are Vikings fans need to write everybody a PM declaring themselves... you know, like a pederast.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

8 year-olds, Dude.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I think all new pf.com members who are Vikings fans need to write everybody a PM declaring themselves... you know, like a pederast.

I won't be PMing anyone on this site. Too much chance of catching something that penicillin doesn't kill.

=Z=

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:
I have visions of Allen getting stoned at the line by either Tausher or Clifton.

Flashbacks from your days at Haight-Ashbury?

Nah, flashbacks from last year.

I don't see Jared Allen lining up next to two Pro Bowl DTs in that game log. Do you?

=Z=

lol, I love this guy.

Tick tock, my doppleganger pal. Enjoy the 5 months of hope, but the regular season is going to come eventually.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Are you talking about Hutchinson? Pretty sure that the Vikings run offense has vaulted into the elite of the NFL since his arrival - while the Seahawks' has sunk.

And that "overpaid" contract he signed is now a bargain, because idiots like Jerry Jones give that kind of money to mediocre fools like Leonard Davis.

=Z=

Eh?

Ranked 16th is your definition of ELITE?

The ONLY reason you can be considered elite now is the one and only AP

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
tromadz said:

=Z=

Eh?

Don't forget about Tavaris "Action" Jackson.

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
tromadz said:

Eh?

LOL - nice use of selective statistics to prove your point.

I counter with:
27th in 2005 - pre-Hutch
16th in 2006
1st in 2007

=Z=

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:
I have visions of Allen getting stoned at the line by either Tausher or Clifton.

I don't see Jared Allen lining up next to two Pro Bowl DTs in that game log. Do you?

=Z=

Nahhh

but HERE is your 2 pro bowlers in a loss of 34-0..not to mention 1st single player that season rushing for over 100 yards on those guys...

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Zeus said:
tromadz said:

Eh?

Don't forget about Tavaris "Action" Jackson.

I'd rather have a QB who has actually played in the NFL than a draft-dropping bench-warmer who has barely dipped his toe into non-exhibition competition.

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeus said:
tromadz said:
Zeus said:
uwbadger12000 said:

Nahhh

but HERE is your 2 pro bowlers in a loss of 34-0..not to mention 1st single player that season rushing for over 100 yards on those guys...

Is that your thing? Linking to NFL.Com to support your points? I'll keep note of it. Shall I link to the Packers choking it up against the Bears at the end of last season to make a specious point that has no bearing on the upcoming season?

=Z=

Pack93z

Reaction score
Exactly the type of action Zeus wandered over for.. straight debate.

:pop:

Just hope it stays civil on both sides.

Members online

Latest posts