Vikes acquire Jared Allen

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, this is a huge move for the Vikings. They needed more pass rush from the edge. Allen is a beast out there. I remain skeptical of the Vikings, who always seem to make a lot of noise in the off-season but seldom have much to show for it on the field. But this is a biggie, no doubt about it.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
No doubt he's a very good player and we'd rather not play against him. But long-term, even if he keeps playing like last season I am not sure he's worth a first rounder, two third rounders, and $74 million with $31 million guaranteed. (Of course, I hope not!)

I can see why Childress would like it, since it will help get him off the hot seat this year. But long term, that's a big price.

This trade puts Childress firmly on the hot seat. It does not take him off of it. Anything less than a NFC North Championship is not acceptable. There are no more excuses for Childress.

If the Vikings fail, and Childress says, "Our quarterback still needs time to develop", tough luck, you picked him. He was your man. He has to win now or say "Asta La Vista Baby" to Childress.

If the Vikings don't win the next three Super Bowls, something's wrong...why is Minnesota the best team in the NFL every year from around April until the season starts? Just wondering...

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vike4life said:
johnny_blood said:
No doubt he's a very good player and we'd rather not play against him. But long-term, even if he keeps playing like last season I am not sure he's worth a first rounder, two third rounders, and $74 million with $31 million guaranteed. (Of course, I hope not!)

I can see why Childress would like it, since it will help get him off the hot seat this year. But long term, that's a big price.

This trade puts Childress firmly on the hot seat. It does not take him off of it. Anything less than a NFC North Championship is not acceptable. There are no more excuses for Childress.

If the Vikings fail, and Childress says, "Our quarterback still needs time to develop", tough luck, you picked him. He was your man. He has to win now or say "Asta La Vista Baby" to Childress.

If the Vikings don't win the next three Super Bowls, something's wrong...why is Minnesota the best team in the NFL every year from around April until the season starts? Just wondering...

The best team in the NFL every year. That is funny. This year they may be the best team in the NFL. They are certainly the best team in the NFC North.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
vike4life said:
johnny_blood said:

The best team in the NFL every year. That is funny. This year they may be the best team in the NFL. They are certainly the best team in the NFC North.

Blah Blah Blah :evil:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best team i n the NFL...the North??

Well, hell, I will drink to that.....and my guess is that Jared will too.

Same story, different year.Show something on the field, and then let's talk. Yep, on paper the Queens are improved, but that is the case more often than not.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Allen is a big impact player, but just a week ago, the talk from you Vikings fans was that there was no way the Vikes win the NFCN. Remember? Now all of a sudden, you are easily the best in the NFCN, the best in the NFL? Give me a break. Yeah, Allen is a great DE and NO I don't want to face him. He will get his sacks, but he isn't going to make you "easily a top 10 defense". Sorry. And your offense is still horrendous. And if that's not enough, you still have Childress to screw it all up. Yeah, it was a big move. Lots of money. And ALL THOSE DRAFT PICKS. I have a hard time believing that the best GM in the NFL thinks this isn't a big stupid move. Same old Vikings. Lot of bark, no bite.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
vike4life said:
johnny_blood said:

Offseason is a time of hope for fans of crappy teams. Enjoy it.

Another 'big' move the Vikes like to make that blows up in their face.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see, last year we beat you 34-0. Now you have Jared. So lets adjust the score.... 27-0. Better?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
vike4life said:
johnny_blood said:

There's no doubt the Vikes win will it all. Just like they did back in.....nevermind.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
One paper and probably the field, this seems like an excellent move for the Vikes. However it is a risk on a couple different fronts, he is one step away from a years suspension for DUI's, he owns a bar (which means he still is around the booze), and he took Carl Peterson calling him a risk in a long term contract (which the two above illustrate to be correct).

He apparently has a issue with drinking and then understanding not to drive, that is a risk especially when handing out 31 million in guaranteed money. Instead of facing the truth and making changes in his life, he got pissed at the Chiefs and told them he wasn't ever going to sign a long term contract with them, even though the team sat through his suspension previously.

To me, that doesn't sound like a mature person that has dealt with his issues. Instead it sounds like a gent running from his problems, just happens he can play ball and wound up with 31 + million reasons to help him along his way.

For him personally, I hope that his troubles are behind him, time will tell I guess.

Oh and on the football field against the Packers, I feel confident about Clifton or Taush on the edges on Allen. Where he hurt us last year was on the stunts inside comming off the edge on a 3-4.. with the 4-3, those stunts are easier to pick up. IMO.

It does make for an impressive front for the Vikes though.. that weight on TJ's shoulder is getting bigger and bigger.. time to put up young man.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He apparently has a issue with drinking and then understanding not to drive, that is a risk especially when handing out 31 million in guaranteed money.

Yeah but he will have a huge support system like K-Rob has in Green Bay. I mean it's not like Vikings players have a history of drinking and\or misbehaving.

Oh wait.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, Vikings fans, who is your other starting safety opposite Ageless Darren? I mean, Chilly released Dwight Smith, a "troublemaker", I assume so that the cap room would be there to sign Saint Jared, right? So does this "easily top 10" defense not need safeties? I know it's a Cover-2, so things like talent and skill are more luxury than neccessity in that system, so maybe not? ....

:D

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
So, Vikings fans, who is your other starting safety opposite Ageless Darren? I mean, Chilly released Dwight Smith, a "troublemaker", I assume so that the cap room would be there to sign Saint Jared, right? So does this "easily top 10" defense not need safeties? I know it's a Cover-2, so things like talent and skill are more luxury than neccessity in that system, so maybe not? ....

Madieu Williams, one of our first FA signings this offseason.

Scouts Inc. said:
Comment: Williams is coming off his third year in the league and he returned to his rookie season form having a very productive season. He has good size, athleticism, instincts and toughness for the safety position. He is best attacking the line of scrimmage in run support. He aligns as both a free and strong safety along with dropping down in the box in the Bengals eight man fronts. Williams reads well and has a nose for the ball and gets to the pile often. He is a solid wrap tackler that will insert often into the action. He has solid foot quickness and agility, but is best as a half field coverage defender. He doesnt have great burst to play tight man coverage but can play intermediate and deep zone schemes well. He leverages the ball well as an alley player and keeps his depth effectively off the hash. His injury in 2005 hindered his development some but he should continue to be a very effective NFL safety in the coming years.

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Scouts Inc. said:
Comment: Williams is coming off his third year in the league and he returned to his rookie season form having a very productive season. He has good size, athleticism, instincts and toughness for the safety position. He is best attacking the line of scrimmage in run support. He aligns as both a free and strong safety along with dropping down in the box in the Bengals eight man fronts. Williams reads well and has a nose for the ball and gets to the pile often. He is a solid wrap tackler that will insert often into the action. He has solid foot quickness and agility, but is best as a half field coverage defender. He doesnt have great burst to play tight man coverage but can play intermediate and deep zone schemes well. He leverages the ball well as an alley player and keeps his depth effectively off the hash. His injury in 2005 hindered his development some but he should continue to be a very effective NFL safety in the coming years.

The Vikings are sure lucky that a championship team can be bought.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Every fan thinks their team is great every April. If not, than that is a truly sad fan base.

Truth be told, while I don't think that Minnesota is the best team in the NFL, I do believe that they have a very real chance to win the NFC North. And once you are in the playoffs, anything can happen (right Pittsburgh and Giants fans?).

BTW, it break my heart to see a fellow North Dakotan who is misguided enough to follow the Green and Gold. ;)

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
pack_in_black said:

Scouts Inc. said:

packer fans sure wish their team was doing the buying.

The Vikings knew that they had three major holes to fill this offseason, and trying to draft to fill specific needs is a good way to have a bad draft.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey NodakPaul .. Nice Sig.. North Dakota dreamin again I see. :razz:

LOL. Thanks. I actually emailed it to Paul Allen and told him to use it in the game if it happens. He loved it! :)

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

LOL. Thanks. I actually emailed it to Paul Allen and told him to use it in the game if it happens. He loved it! :)

Very well done.. as I put up over in the PPO.. I throw a wager at you of some sort, Allen gets zero sacks against the Pack opening night.. I will take Cliffy vs Allen, hands down.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a nice move for the Vikes - but at a steep price. If he was the final piece to the puzzle and would put them over the top for a legitimate SB run this year it may prove to be worth the price.

I believe that while this team should contend in the NFC North this year - and possibly be co-favorites - that they are not serious Super Bowl material, although anything can happen if you get into the playoffs.

Jackson will have to take a significant step forward, aging veterans(Birk, Sharper, Pat Williams, Winfield, etc.) will have to continue to play at a high level and avoid injury, Peterson cannot get hurt, a number one receiver will have to emerge, Allen will have to play more controlled to be a factor against the run, and the coaching staff will have to show signs of improvement for a serious SB run this year - a lot of ifs.

This move will certainly improve their defense, and in turn should take some pressure off of the offense - but I do not see SB as realistic and they will have somewhat mortgaged the future for a small short term gain.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Pack93z said:

Very well done.. as I put up over in the PPO.. I throw a wager at you of some sort, Allen gets zero sacks against the Pack opening night.. I will take Cliffy vs Allen, hands down.

Loser has to sport the signature of the winner's choice for a month? You game?

EDIT: On both sites! :)

OP
OP
bozz_2006

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
josdin00 said:
pack_in_black said:

Scouts Inc. said:

packer fans sure wish their team was doing the buying.

The Vikings knew that they had three major holes to fill this offseason, and trying to draft to fill specific needs is a good way to have a bad draft.

no thanks guy. we did just fine last year with no big FA signings, and so did the Giants. franchises like the vikings are a dime a dozen around the NFL. you can't buy championships. you think he'll be worth $31M GUARANTEED plus a first round pick, 2 third round picks, and swapped 6th round picks? your franchise got a ***** for a Allen and then acted like a kid in a candy store. There's a reason kids don't make these types of decisions. You got a good DE, who had one good season. Sorry, the problem is much deeper than DE.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But the problem is that Allen didn't fill one of those holes. The three major problems, IMO, are the pass D (last in the NFL), LT, and a QB. The Giants won because of their terrific D-Line as well, but their offense was much more potent.

I have no problem conceeding the Vikings may make the playoffs, but it's going to be hard advancing without those needs addressed.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
no thanks guy. we did just fine last year with no big FA signings, and so did the Giants. franchises like the vikings are a dime a dozen around the NFL. you can't buy championships. you think he'll be worth $31M GUARANTEED plus a first round pick, 2 third round picks, and swapped 6th round picks? your franchise got a ***** for a Allen and then acted like a kid in a candy store. There's a reason kids don't make these types of decisions. You got a good DE, who had one good season. Sorry, the problem is much deeper than DE.

LOL> Come on, the Vikings go nuts on ONE player, and all of a sudden we are trying to buy a championship? I think that applies more to Washington or Oakland. Let's be real here.

Second, Allen had more than one good year. He averages double digit sacks every year, and his lowest year for sacks was 06, when he still had 7.5
http://www.nfl.com/players/jaredallen/profile?id=ALL454745

Finally, If you add up what we gave up for him, it is roughly equal to the #9 pick. I think that is pretty fair for Allen. The contract is high, to be true, but my guess is that outside the 31 million guaranteed, most of that is incentive laden and backended on the contract.

You can complain all you want about this trade, and I will agree that the Vikings major issue lies elsewhere <couch couch quarterback> - but it is still to try and act like the Vikings made a mistake in doing this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts