Veterans Who Won't Be Back in 2011

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't think that far ahead. I am only thinking about February and getting to Jerry's house. Good work on the list though. :)

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Good assessment. All I'm going to do is analyze it for now, because for the most part I agree with it.

I think it's time for Lee to go for sure, so I'd put him above 75%. I think drafting Quarless was the nail in the coffin for Lee.

Harrell will probably be kept, simply because I'm sure Ted still wants to see what he can do, if he can ever stay healthy. One more injured season and he's probably gone.

Colledge will stick around because we will draft his replacement, but we'll need him around in case that doesn't pan out, or we'll keep him for depth.

Hall should be gone, for the reasons you said, I'm just more certain he'll go.

Driver is still being too consistent and too productive to go. I'd bet we keep him around until he doesn't want to play anymore. He seems like the kind of guy that knows the limits of his own production and will call it quits when he thinks he's past useful. Right now, he's making plays (clearly) and he's still there to run a good route and catch the ball (while hopefully holding onto it).

Crosby won't be gone immediately, but I bet we see a K come in to put the pressure on. I think there will be a contest for that position.

Other than my minor disagreements and me giving reasons to agree, I love the assessment!

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good work on the list. The only thing I would is lower the % on Driver - it may be about 10% or less. I think he will still be the # 2 but I'm sure TT is looking at depth for the WR's. I thought James Jones would have been a great # 3 or 4 or he has proven to be too inconsistent.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
i hope we draft a top flight rookie wideout who is consistently good. o man our passing game would be a nightmare for other teams

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which notable veteran players from 2010 will not be back in the green and gold next year?

Here's my guess. What do others think?

> 75% chance they won't be back:
Donald Lee (Finley, Quarless, and either Crabtree or Havner will be the guys)
Mark Tauscher (Bulaga is already better; too expensive to be a backup)
Howard Green (stop-gap due to Neal injury and Jolly suspension)
Justin Harrell (hard to even call him a veteran given his injury history)

> 50% chance they won't be back:
AJ Hawk (would have to agree to renegotiate - Pack won't pay $10 million)
Daryn Colledge (marginal starter; Pack can get same performance for lower $$)
Brady Poppinga (too expensive as a marginal backup - probably would be 5th OLB on the roster)
Anthony Smith (logjam at safety with several guys coming off IR)
Korey Hall (already have 2 other FBs and Hall becomes a FA)
Atari Bigby (Burnett and Peprah are just as good and much cheaper)

> 25% chance they won't be back:
Brandon Jackson (will be a FA; Starks, Grant, and a likely draft choice may make him expendable)
Donald Driver (skills eroding; may be too expensive as a #3 or #4 WR; WR is a deep position in the 2011 draft and the Pack may grab one)
James Jones (free agent; hasn't shown consistency at GB to command #2 receiver money, but may get it elsewhere)
Cullen Jenkins (4-3 DEs generally earn more $$ than 3-4 DEs and this will probably be his last shot at a big payday)
Desmond Bishop (wants to get paid; hopefully GB can extend him before he hits the market)
Mason Crosby (free agent; Packers may decide to bring in another kicker due to FG consistency issues)

Very good post, but I think:

I'd put Hall, Smith, College in the 75% category and move Green and Bigby to 25%.

Jones, Crosby, Jenkins, Bishop, Hawk will all be signed--I HOPE.

That idiot Jolly should be allowed to pursue other opportunities.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think any of our wide recievers should be let go, they offer a great guessing game for oppenents and they can ALL produce. That is one of our greatest strengths, and of course having the guy that can get the ball to them.

special teams is where we need a hand...

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
bishop
jenkins
Hawk(only if he agrees to less money)

I want these 3 guys back, all the other ones I'm not so fond of, and I hope they get released.(if harrell is back, I will go to green bay and punch TT in the nuts)

(not to hate on DD, best packer WR EVER imo, but he has been bad this year and it's kinda time, we need to get a young WR for A-rod to play with he can be the WR's coach if he wants the job.)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players I'd like to say back because they make the team better...

Howard Green

AJ Hawk

Matt Flynn (don't care since he's a backup, but may have some trade value... won't cost much)

Daryn Colledge

Donald Driver (PRETTY SURE DRIVER GOT AN EXTENSION BEFORE THE SEASON, LOCKING HIM UP FOR LIFE)

James Jones

Cullen Jenkins

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players I'd like to say back because they make the team better...

Howard Green

AJ Hawk

Matt Flynn (don't care since he's a backup, but may have some trade value... won't cost much)

Daryn Colledge

Donald Driver (PRETTY SURE DRIVER GOT AN EXTENSION BEFORE THE SEASON, LOCKING HIM UP FOR LIFE)

James Jones

Cullen Jenkins

Nothing is for life, he could be cut anytime.

I think favres deal at one point was advertised for life too. At least driver seems like he knows when to hang out up.

TrantaLocked

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt more than 5 of these guys will go, especially if we make a good run in the playoffs. Mega extra especially if we go to the superbowl, and mega super awesome extremely gigantanormous especially if we win the super bowl.

But seriously, I like to think of a team as a team and not a cache of RAM that swaps like a *****. Without all those guys Packers won't even be Packers. Without Driver I'd cry a little.

But rethinking it I want to see all 50% and below back, but I want Lee as well, and if Grant is OK the backup would be a hard choice between Starks and Jackson honestly. They both are good. I understand the other 75%. I don't see how Lee has been so bad some how. He rarely gets the pass from Rodgers but performs well when he does and has a few touchdowns at least this season.

Reaction score
I dont think any of our wide recievers should be let go, they offer a great guessing game for oppenents and they can ALL produce. That is one of our greatest strengths, and of course having the guy that can get the ball to them.

special teams is where we need a hand...

Gotta agree with having depth in quality receivers which has been our luxury. Look at what happened to Indy this year.

I really like Driver.....would hate to see him go

Want to keep:

Hawk
Bishop
Jenkins

Crosby {he's the best we have RIGHT NOW until we find

someone better.....nothing more frustraing than

losing as a result of missed FGs}

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta agree with having depth in quality receivers which has been our luxury. Look at what happened to Indy this year.

I really like Driver.....would hate to see him go

Want to keep:

Hawk
Bishop
Jenkins

Crosby {he's the best we have RIGHT NOW until we find

someone better.....nothing more frustraing than

losing as a result of missed FGs}

I agree with all of what you just said here. Bishop already signed his deal, so he'll be back. Hopefully Hawk is willing to restructure his deal so we can keep him. Jenkins might get big money elsewhere, but I really hope we keep him. Our defense manages without him, but is way better with him in there. The only way that we should get rid of Crosby is if we get Alex Henery out of Nebraska. He's one heck of a kicker.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know I'm in the great minority here but I would like the pack to try and keep harrell around, his upside is huge and it is worth it in my mind. A line of harrell raji and jenkins would be elite. I understand harrell and jenkins are injury prone but the back ups have played well all year so if they go down it will not be the worst thing in the world. Not really sure about the financial situationis with harrell, probably not good since he was a first round pick, but if cheap enough keeping him would be worth it. And franchising jenkins sounds like the right morve to me.

Members online

Latest posts