Vancouver Canucks = Green Bay Packers

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if there are any Canuck or Hockey fans around here (I have no idea why I'm a Canucks fan, I hate everything about Chicago, cheering for a corporate Minneapolis team seems wrong, and Detroit is in the eastern time zone, so Canucks it is.)

To me it seems like the Canucks are the NHL's version of the Green Bay Packers (not history, tradition and fans) with their play over the past 3 seasons (since coming within 1 saved goal of winning the stanley cup). They have an offense that is tough to stop when all players are on the ice (Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Burrows and Edler) and one tough son of a gun enforcer in Ryan Kessler. In 2010 and 2011 they had an offense that the rest of the NHL couldn't figure out, it was finesse, but it worked.

Very similar to the Green Bay Packers in 2011, offense that no one could stop, players that were excellent at their positions (Rodgers, Nelson, Jennings and Jones) and a tough SOB in Clay Matthews on defense.

Both teams have fallen pretty far from their 2011 heights however and in fairly similar ways. Ryan Kessler and Clay Matthews can't stay healthy and the rest of the defensive talent (goalie included) is below average. Both teams let players go they should have kept that were keys to their defensive... I wouldn't say success but being average, in Cullen Jenkins and Cory Schneider. 2012 was a disappointing year for both teams, with the Canucks unable to beat the San Jose Sharks during the regular season or post season, the Packers had the same fate with the 9ers.

2013 /2014 was a disaster for both teams (even though the Canucks still aren't done) and both teams lost their key offensive weapon, Daniel Sedin for the Canucks and Aaron Rodgers for the Packers. Both were middle of the road and shown to not have any depth behind their star players, yet some how remained in the playoff hunt due to other teams incompetence.

To me its crazy how similar these two teams are, from their draft and develop philosophies and offensive / defensive strengths and weaknesses. In 2013 the Packers brought in Eddie Lacy and added some toughness to the team, the Canucks brought in a new coach to add toughness to the team. Both were great additions but having both teams stars out long term hurt any chances of making noise in the playoffs and defensive weaknesses are still present.

Thoughts, ideas, questions?

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
The main difference is that I can remember an NHL without the Vancouver Canucks, but not a NFL without the Packers. The Canucks only came into existence in 1970. Since then they have won exactly ZERO Stanley Cups.

Besides a history of losing and bad management, West Coast fans are a fickle as all hell. There is no tradition in Vancouver except the constant moaning and the riots.

----
(I don't much care for your comparison, but whatever you are smoking must be first class). :D

OP
OP
Beebe82

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main difference is that I can remember an NHL without the Vancouver Canucks, but not a NFL without the Packers. The Canucks only came into existence in 1970. Since then they have won exactly ZERO Stanley Cups.

Besides a history of losing and bad management, West Coast fans are a fickle as all hell. There is no tradition in Vancouver except the constant moaning and the riots.

----
(I don't much care for your comparison, but whatever you are smoking must be first class). :D

Thanks for not even bothering to read the post... Please read the first line of the second paragraph and get back to me with an actual response.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Canucks had and now have an even bigger idiot coach and they had the biggest vajay goldtender in the league until a few days ago. I see where you are going with this but no.

Members online

Latest posts