Valuable lesson for Rodgers

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I have said it many times, but it is the truth. It is a shame that Rodgers does not get the credit he deserves.
Ohio - I think that is changing rapidly. Right now, there aren't many objective (non agenda-driven) folks who don't recongnize AR as the budding star that he is. I hate the pro bowl because it is typically just a popularity contest. That said, of 16 NFC QBs he was recongnized (by his peers and fans) this year as one of the top 3, ahead of guys like Romo, McNabb, Ryan, Warner, Eli Manning, etc... So he is certainly starting to get the notice that he so deserves. He isn't arrogant and anyone who suggests he is IMO is incorrect.

Packer fans by in large LOVE the kid. favre fans (not to be mistaken with Packer fans) will never embrace him for the same reason that they will always make up their own facts to try to villify Ted Thompson. I am to the point where I couldn't care what that crowd thinks - they are fringe. I am a 40-something life-long green and gold bleeding Packer fan who cares only about my team. brett favre is dead to me. I'll never forget his greatness as a player and what he meant to the team in the '90s but IMO his ego outgrew his usefulness and after throwing the team under the bus, he crossed the ultimate line of going to play in Minnesota just out of spite. To me, Aaron Rodgers's attitude and personna after favre is a breath of fresh air, plus we know he will show up at OTAs and camp, won't waffle about retiring year after year and plus, he is really, REALLY GOOD!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ohio - I think that is changing rapidly. Right now, there aren't many objective (non agenda-driven) folks who don't recongnize AR as the budding star that he is. I hate the pro bowl because it is typically just a popularity contest. That said, of 16 NFC QBs he was recongnized (by his peers and fans) this year as one of the top 3, ahead of guys like Romo, McNabb, Ryan, Warner, Eli Manning, etc... So he is certainly starting to get the notice that he so deserves. He isn't arrogant and anyone who suggests he is IMO is incorrect.

Packer fans by in large LOVE the kid. favre fans (not to be mistaken with Packer fans) will never embrace him for the same reason that they will always make up their own facts to try to villify Ted Thompson. I am to the point where I couldn't care what that crowd thinks - they are fringe. I am a 40-something life-long green and gold bleeding Packer fan who cares only about my team. brett favre is dead to me. I'll never forget his greatness as a player and what he meant to the team in the '90s but IMO his ego outgrew his usefulness and after throwing the team under the bus, he crossed the ultimate line of going to play in Minnesota just out of spite. To me, Aaron Rodgers's attitude and personna after favre is a breath of fresh air, plus we know he will show up at OTAs and camp, won't waffle about retiring year after year and plus, he is really, REALLY GOOD!
Excellent post.
Agreed 100% :tommy:

OP
OP
doughsellz

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a 40-something life-long green and gold bleeding Packer fan who cares only about my team. brett favre is dead to me. I'll never forget his greatness as a player and what he meant to the team in the '90s but IMO his ego outgrew his usefulness and after throwing the team under the bus, he crossed the ultimate line of going to play in Minnesota just out of spite. To me, Aaron Rodgers's attitude and personna after favre is a breath of fresh air, plus we know he will show up at OTAs and camp, won't waffle about retiring year after year and plus, he is really, REALLY GOOD!

Weak argument. Why wouldn't a 3rd-year starter show up for OTAs? How do you know how Rodgers views his own retirement? BTW it's inevitable. Players face their fates head on eventually. Thinking that it won't be an issue is short-sighted.

Why isn't anyone whining about Kurt Warner waiting to make up his mind? Are Card's fans endlessly blogging about being held hostage? Attitudes like yours perpetuated the endless saga. How do you not realize that the media gave rise to the will he / won't he crap every year? By him not making statements to the contrary you convict #4 of waffling. Pretzel logic IMHO.

Furthermore how do you rationalize an ego-driven person retreating to rural MS every off-season? Shouldn't one expect a more glitzy locale?

Finally, I'd guess many players would concur that spite isn't enough to get one to a conference championship.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weak argument. Why wouldn't a 3rd-year starter show up for OTAs? How do you know how Rodgers views his own retirement? BTW it's inevitable. Players face their fates head on eventually. Thinking that it won't be an issue is short-sighted.

Why isn't anyone whining about Kurt Warner waiting to make up his mind? Are Card's fans endlessly blogging about being held hostage? Attitudes like yours perpetuated the endless saga. How do you not realize that the media gave rise to the will he / won't he crap every year? By him not making statements to the contrary you convict #4 of waffling. Pretzel logic IMHO.

Furthermore how do you rationalize an ego-driven person retreating to rural MS every off-season? Shouldn't one expect a more glitzy locale?

Finally, I'd guess many players would concur that spite isn't enough to get one to a conference championship.

Difference is that Kurt Warner doesn't publicy cry twice, that's two years in a row and say he's gonna retire. Favre did the whole crying thing after the 2007 Bears game also. Warner says he will not make up his mind in the heat of the moment on an emotional high or low because he wants to avoid doing the wrong thing and have regrets. He will say nothing until he is sure. Well, you asked.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

First off, the media may have fanned the flames but favre only once had to issue a statement of no-comment or not bring it up and it would have went away. To suggest he didn't enjoy the drama and attention is revisionist history.

Obviously Rodgers will show up for OTAs and camp, duh... That wasn't meant to be anything more than the obvious... Apparently you think there was some deep, hidden meaning more than the obvious value in having a player that you know you can rely on to show up... Sorry I had to spell that one out to you but it appears you needed it.

I'm not a Cardinal fan so I couldn't care less what Warner does (even though comparing him to favre's legendary waffling at this point is a joke at best). What in hell does living in MS have to do with his ego? That is where he is from and where his friends and family live... Not everyone has to pack up the kin folks and move to Beverly... Hills that is... To be a diva and have a big ego. Maybe he liked being in a place where everyone thought his **** tasted like lolly pops. There are people with big egos in every town in America, so in your own words, "weak argument."

And if you don't think spite is one of the main motivating factors that is leading favre to play his smartest and safest football in almost 2 decades I'd love to know what you think is causing it. Fountain of smart QBing?? This is a guy who averaged 17 INTs per season over almost 20 years and all of a sudden he decides he isn't going to throw into triple coverage any more. If you want to argue personnel I suggest you actually go look at some of Green Bay's rosters during favre's years when he was known for just throwing it up for grabs... Many of the years he had a very good line, good running game and good WRs.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is after the Dec 2006 Bears game. It's funny.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFYeNzyAp0s&feature=PlayList&p=0AD8611815C611AE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2]YouTube - is favre retiring?[/ame]

OP
OP
doughsellz

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, the media may have fanned the flames but favre only once had to issue a statement of no-comment or not bring it up and it would have went away.

No comment was the standard response every time an idiot looking for a scoop showed up at an off-season golf tournament & attempted to turn a charity event into their own private revelation. Failing in that they'd proceed to write "GB held hostage by prima donna QB" story & fans like you bought it.

Apparently you think there was some deep, hidden meaning more than the obvious value in having a player that you know you can rely on to show up...

How many OTAs does a 19-year vet need? Based on the performance in '09, that number would be ZERO.

I'm not a Cardinal fan so I couldn't care less what Warner does (even though comparing him to favre's legendary waffling at this point is a joke at best).

You have a problem with someone changing their mind a few times so you go to extremes describing their dilemma as legendary, a word more befitting his on-field performance.

What in hell does living in MS have to do with his ego? That is where he is from and where his friends and family live... Not everyone has to pack up the kin folks and move to Beverly... Hills that is... To be a diva and have a big ego. Maybe he liked being in a place where everyone thought his **** tasted like lolly pops.

You may know something about that taste Mr. Jock Strap. That was too easy.

And if you don't think spite is one of the main motivating factors that is leading favre to play his smartest and safest football in almost 2 decades I'd love to know what you think is causing it. Fountain of smart QBing?? This is a guy who averaged 17 INTs per season over almost 20 years and all of a sudden he decides he isn't going to throw into triple coverage any more.

If you wanted a semblance of credibility speaking of #4's performance in MN in '09 you probably should have watched a few games. He hasn't changed anything about his game. Numerous commentators have reiterated that very sentiment. Why defenses haven't been able to capitalize isn't for me to explain.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
If you wanted a semblance of credibility speaking of #4's performance in MN in '09 you probably should have watched a few games. He hasn't changed anything about his game. Numerous commentators have reiterated that very sentiment. Why defenses haven't been able to capitalize isn't for me to explain.
Maybe I wasn't paying as close attention in his latter years as a Packer, but I've noticed him checking the ball down a lot more this year.

I could be wrong, and like I said maybe it's just now that i'm noticing that.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
). You have a problem with someone changing their mind a few times so you go to extremes describing their dilemma as legendary, a word more befitting his on-field performance.
In regards to this point, I think it's safe to say that he will at least, in part, be remembered by the "retirements" that they had. That's not to say that he will be remembered best by this. But if this season does go down as one of his best, if not the best, seasons, people won't too soon forget how he got there. On the flip side, if he doesn't win the big one, they will consider the team-changing nothing more than an old guy having his fun.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No comment was the standard response every time an idiot looking for a scoop showed up at an off-season golf tournament & attempted to turn a charity event into their own private revelation. Failing in that they'd proceed to write "GB held hostage by prima donna QB" story & fans like you bought it.
Actually it was a lady at the foundation down in MS that jumped the gun and issued a PRESS release before that golf event..Bretts people could have re-released something??? I dont know but I do know a press release was issued..I do recall one thing Brett said and that was...Who have they signed

I wish I could find his press conference here at work but I can't

When asked something about not as many interceptions this year

He basically said that he knows NOW that there will be another drive to make another play..and he is trying to really be careful with the ball

So yeah even Brett himself said that he is playing different

But believe commentators

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About Kurt Warner, I don't remember him saying last year that he was considering retirement. I do remember, however, him being a Free Agent, wanting to come back to the Cardinals, and the Cardinals didn't re-sign him immediately. He tried out with the 49ers, but eventually settled with the Cards.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Well Dougie - it is pretty apparent that you think brett favre is just dreamy. I actually live in a market that shows every single viking game so I have seen probably at least as many as you have. The poster that said he is taking his check downs is right. He is NOT playing the same way he played in GB, he is playing in control and smart, the way a 19 year vet should. And SPARE me the rest of your drivel. Maybe you understand or maybe you don't, but being at OTAs for old vets is as much about appearance as it is helping individual performance. It is about bonding with team mates and for vets it is about sending the message to young guys that OTAs and team activities are important. Regarding favre flavored lolly pops... You are the one that refuses to spit his out. Clearly, if you have any reading comprehension skills at all they are not my flavor...

How many OTAs does a 19-year vet need? Based on the performance in '09, that number would be ZERO.

You have a problem with someone changing their mind a few times so you go to extremes describing their dilemma as legendary, a word more befitting his on-field performance.

You may know something about that taste Mr. Jock Strap. That was too easy.

OP
OP
doughsellz

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Dougie - it is pretty apparent that you think brett favre is just dreamy. I actually live in a market that shows every single viking game so I have seen probably at least as many as you have. The poster that said he is taking his check downs is right. He is NOT playing the same way he played in GB, he is playing in control and smart, the way a 19 year vet should. And SPARE me the rest of your drivel. Maybe you understand or maybe you don't, but being at OTAs for old vets is as much about appearance as it is helping individual performance. It is about bonding with team mates and for vets it is about sending the message to young guys that OTAs and team activities are important. Regarding favre flavored lolly pops... You are the one that refuses to spit his out. Clearly, if you have any reading comprehension skills at all they are not my flavor...

Sex rehab is in your near future. Can't issue a single post without some reference to a phallus or ******* symbols. Juvenile, yet sickening all at once.:censored:

Your fixation aside, you may wish to recall some other GB players who chose not to attend OTAs yet still excelled in '09. One in particular did well enough to be named DPOY.

Mini-camp & OTAs are orientation-type meetings with the goal of creating cohesion among new acquisitions & the youngest, inexperienced members of your team. If they were so important they would be mandatory, & since that's prohibited by the league...

Other times OTAs are about implementing new wrinkles into your gameplans, like in GB's offense in '08. Personally I thought MM's decision to revamp the offense from a 13-3 team was questionable but that's why I'm here at my desk & he's 38-26 in 4 seasons as HC in GB, good enough to tie Holmgren for 3rd all-time for a GB HC in his 4th year.

As for #4 "playing in control and smart, the way a 19 year vet should" I wonder how he managed to do as such while not participating in the OTAs?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Sex rehab is in your near future. Can't issue a single post without some reference to a phallus or ******* symbols. Juvenile, yet sickening all at once.:censored:

Your fixation aside, you may wish to recall some other GB players who chose not to attend OTAs yet still excelled in '09. One in particular did well enough to be named DPOY.

Mini-camp & OTAs are orientation-type meetings with the goal of creating cohesion among new acquisitions & the youngest, inexperienced members of your team. If they were so important they would be mandatory, & since that's prohibited by the league...

Other times OTAs are about implementing new wrinkles into your gameplans, like in GB's offense in '08. Personally I thought MM's decision to revamp the offense from a 13-3 team was questionable but that's why I'm here at my desk & he's 38-26 in 4 seasons as HC in GB, good enough to tie Holmgren for 3rd all-time for a GB HC in his 4th year.

As for #4 "playing in control and smart, the way a 19 year vet should" I wonder how he managed to do as such while not participating in the OTAs?
Whatever dude. You are the one who responded to the lollypop crack by trying to turn the tables on me (which made no sense at all since I am not a favre fan) so don't give me any crap about making ******* references. Your not letting go of the lollypop reference and making the suggestion you did in YOUR post is as disingenuous as your IDOL favre's fanning the flames of retirement talk and then trying to act innocent and coy about it.

My feelings about favre are pretty clear. I don't hate the guy, I respect and appreciate the good years he had playing for my team. But I do hate the way he behaved much of the time, and the shots he took at the organization on the way out, behavior which was well documented. I see good and bad with favre, unlike some who choose to ignore anything negative.

There are folks that love favre NO MATTER WHAT, some that hate him and some that see him for what he is. There are folks who say both favre and the Packers are at "fault" for the divorce. I see it that way only the Packers wanted and needed favre back at all costs. The way he behaved, it is pretty clear that he required the begging and adulation. For years GB had no choice but to do it. Once they knew they had a suitable replacement they said "enough". If Rodgers would have fallen flat on his face, I'd be of the opinion that the Packers cut off their nose to spite their face. Clearly, Aaron has not stumbled, but as a matter of fact gives every indication that he is going to be one of the best QBs in the league for a long time. In short the GB management made the correct decision.

There are folks that love favre more than the organization - why that is I DO NOT CARE. I am and always have been a Green Bay Packer fan. I have never placed one player above the organization, regardless of who that player is. Some do not feel that way, and that is just fine. But it will be a cold day in hell that I ever root for favre as a member of our rivals. To do so, IMO, goes against everything being a Packer fan is all about. If others choose to leave the Packers for dead and follow favre, good for them. I follow the Packers when the best in the league as well as when they are the worst and no one player will EVER change that view point with me.

So, Mr. Doug, you have a wonderful time posting here because my discussion with you is done.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But Doug, it's ok for other players to skip, it just when Favre skips it means he's selfish and ego driven.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Doug, it's ok for other players to skip, it just when Favre skips it means he's selfish and ego driven.
Also when he has a separated dressing room... And don't give me the "he needs space because he gets all media around him" BS, because neither Tom Brady nor Payton Manning have separated dressing rooms.

I'm okay with him missing OTAs, even Minicamp, as long as he gets good chemistry with his receivers, and is able to fully understand and utilize the playbook.

But having special treatment is unacceptable IMHO. And I don't mean a special treatment that all the vets have.

-

Anyway, wasn't this about Rodgers' ego???

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Actually, Mr. Sarcastic, IMO it isn't okay when any player, no matter who he is, skips. Camp and OTAs are team activities and when you are part of the team it is part of the job to attend. When they skip it sends the message that there are things more important to them than football, their team and their team mates. If a player has a legitimate excuse such as a family emergency, that is one thing, but just not showing up because it is not important enough to them tells me that their priorities are out of order. That counts for all players, but when said player is supposedly the LEADER of the team they should be there if for no other reason than to send the correct message.

So essentially, you are attempting to make a straw man argument with your snide post and it falls flat.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Mr. Sarcastic, IMO it isn't okay when any player, no matter who he is, skips. Camp and OTAs are team activities and when you are part of the team it is part of the job to attend. When they skip it sends the message that there are things more important to them than football, their team and their team mates. If a player has a legitimate excuse such as a family emergency, that is one thing, but just not showing up because it is not important enough to them tells me that their priorities are out of order. That counts for all players, but when said player is supposedly the LEADER of the team they should be there if for no other reason than to send the correct message.

So essentially, you are attempting to make a straw man argument with your snide post and it falls flat.

Woodson is the leader of the d. If you are going to get on Favre for missing then you have to say the same about Woodson. But I'm guessing you will find to say that it's more important for Favre than Woodson. OTA's are not mandatory so you should not rip on a guy for not being there.

So do you volunteer for tasks at your job to do things you don't like that will not help you advance or get better in your career?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Woodson is the leader of the d. If you are going to get on Favre for missing then you have to say the same about Woodson. But I'm guessing you will find to say that it's more important for Favre than Woodson. OTA's are not mandatory so you should not rip on a guy for not being there.

So do you volunteer for tasks at your job to do things you don't like that will not help you advance or get better in your career?

might be mistaken but I thought he did say it sends the wrong message when ANY player does it

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
might be mistaken but I thought he did say it sends the wrong message when ANY player does it

Right but where was that until it was explained to him about CW? He singled out Favre and then used the "leader" argument which is bogus. It's either just as important for everyone or not regardless of what position. This is just an example of anger clouding judgment. Fans that are pissed will use anything they can to bash the guy. OTA's are not that important in the grand scheme of things.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Right but where was that until it was explained to him about CW? He singled out Favre and then used the "leader" argument which is bogus. It's either just as important for everyone or not regardless of what position. This is just an example of anger clouding judgment. Fans that are pissed will use anything they can to bash the guy. OTA's are not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Because the topic wasnt about Chuck, it was about Brett, was it not???

Dont put words into someones mouth when they didnt even get a chance to reply yet when in fact he did address the other players..

just not a SPECIFIC player

Face it no matter what this argument will go on until the man is finally retired and the Packers win a SB

And even then it wont be good enough for some people..

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Angryguy - do you KNOW what a straw man argument is? If you don't, stop being angry and go get your dictionary.

The initial conversation was about Rodgers. I made a comment that it was nice having a QB that you could count on to not talk about retirement and to dedicated himself to the team by participating in offseason activities with HIS team. You and others made it about favre and then started making comments suggesting that my point was somehow something other than it was to make your righteous indignation somehow seem justified and right on.

I said what I said, and it means what it means. No more, no less. No, I do not LIKE it when guys like Wood skip activities either - see he falls into the "ANY PLAYER" category... So, please stop trying to assign meaning to my post that is not supported by my post's content - it doesn't make your argument stronger it makes it look like you cannot read and are searching for a fight.

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because the topic wasnt about Chuck, it was about Brett, was it not???

Dont put words into someones mouth when they didnt even get a chance to reply yet when in fact he did address the other players..

just not a SPECIFIC player

Face it no matter what this argument will go on until the man is finally retired and the Packers win a SB

And even then it wont be good enough for some people..

You are completly missing the point LT. Using OTA's as a reason for "Favre is all about self" doesn't carry water when the best player on the d did the same freakn thing. If you are going to rip a current or former GB player, then you have to include all of them. So I want to hear about how CW's absence hurt the team. But I'm guessing I won't because he is held to a different standard-no anger or hate towards him. He's preaching how important it is and only talking about one person.

How come Radji doesn't get heat for holding out? Did he not hurt the team and hold it hostage as well( I'm not saying he should)?

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Angryguy - do you KNOW what a straw man argument is? If you don't, stop being angry and go get your dictionary.

The initial conversation was about Rodgers. I made a comment that it was nice having a QB that you could count on to not talk about retirement and to dedicated himself to the team by participating in offseason activities with HIS team. You and others made it about favre and then started making comments suggesting that my point was somehow something other than it was to make your righteous indignation somehow seem justified and right on.

I said what I said, and it means what it means. No more, no less. No, I do not LIKE it when guys like Wood skip activities either - see he falls into the "ANY PLAYER" category... So, please stop trying to assign meaning to my post that is not supported by my post's content - it doesn't make your argument stronger it makes it look like you cannot read and are searching for a fight.

Yes, and I do know what hypocrisy is as well.

Latest posts