Using our second rounder(s) to trade up?

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we don't draft defense, I'd like to see us trade up and take Felix Jones. This guy is highly underrated as he played behind McFadden, but he is a total freak. Back in the Capitol One bowl he actually put about 100 more yards on us than McFadden did, I believe.

What say you?

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a slight possibility that the Packers could trade up, but I don't think it would be for Felix Jones. The Packers need more of a bruiser type running back, not a speed guy. I think there will be good running backs available in the second and third rounds...Forte and Rice.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say that if a player is on the board that Ted really really wants, he won't hesitate to make a move in an attempt to move up the board. i don't know who this mystery player could be. but a scenario in the 1st round of swapping 1st round picks with a team and then throwing in one of our 2nd round picks (probably #57) is plausible

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I say that if a player is on the board that Ted really really wants, he won't hesitate to make a move in an attempt to move up the board. i don't know who this mystery player could be. but a scenario in the 1st round of swapping 1st round picks with a team and then throwing in one of our 2nd round picks (probably #57) is plausible

if you use that draft value chart thing, and the pack toss in their #1, and the TWO #2's they have now, they would only move up to around 10th

is that worth it ?

i dont think so myself...

OP
OP
T

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would never get rid of both our 2nds, and neither would TT. I think with our 1st and the 57 we could move up to around 20 though, to a team that doesn't have any high needs they couldn't get in the 2nd.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would never get rid of both our 2nds, and neither would TT. I think with our 1st and the 57 we could move up to around 20 though, to a team that doesn't have any high needs they couldn't get in the 2nd.

thats the point, why dump #57 to move up 10 spots?

I say no way

Right now they will have 3 picks in top 61

if they trade away #57 they only have 2 in top 60

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually would be happy for TT to get as many 2nd round picks as possible, thats where the real quality and value for money is.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
admittedly, i didn't look at the that draft value chart thing at all, and you make a good point. from what you say LT, I don't see much reason why TT would package that stuff to move up in the 1st.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
admittedly, i didn't look at the that draft value chart thing at all, and you make a good point. from what you say LT, I don't see much reason why TT would package that stuff to move up in the 1st.

i dont like the value thing either, but thought some people would understand it better.

Would Cromartie move up that far with his excellent combine? Is the an absolute stud o-l that would be there? What about a safety?

Those are the 3 i think the Packers would truly drool over if available at the #10 spot

LordEvil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont see the pack taking rb this year. i see o-line help d-line, te and dbs. but trading up to grab one the the top d-lineman would be great. like to see the pack with 2 big guys in the middle.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
I think you guys are way off base with the the, "I think the packers are going to take this position, or that position." read this.

Yup BPA!!

However form that article

Meaning, rather than focus on taking the "best player available" with each pick, he might target certain needs and see if he can find a draft pick or two to fill them and help put the Packers over the top.

But don't bet on it.

That's not to say need won't be considered when the Packers make their first selection, at No. 30 overall, in the first round in late April. If the talent of available players is relatively equal, the team's need could influence the final call.

but then there is this form same article

Meanwhile, any specific needs Thompson sees might be more likely filled via free agency.

While Thompson has a reputation for disdaining free agency - he signed only backup cornerback Frank Walker last year - it's somewhat unwarranted.

Just two years ago Thompson made multiple major free-agent signings, bringing in defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and cornerback Charles Woodson to add to the veteran core of the team, and a franchise can only make big free-agent splashes so often.

McCarthy added that the team was very active in pursuing free agents last year, but just wasn't able to sign any other than Walker.

Still, Thompson does consider free agency a high-risk, high-reward proposition, and a potential free-agent target would have to be viewed as an immediate and definite upgrade over what's already on the roster.

"This is an area where you would attack a specific need, if we felt like there was one there," Thompson said. "At the same time you don't want to necessarily bring somebody in that's just going to get in the way of somebody else that you think might be a player, some of these young core guys."

Okay going by the last bold sentence what would be the specific need?

And what Fa are out there that could and would meet the criteria Ted MIGHt be looking for

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's scouting is both mysterious and brilliant, who on earth had heard of Ryan Grant last year and even guys like John Kuhn. Face facts guys TT is The ScoutMeister :)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's scouting is both mysterious and brilliant, who on earth had heard of Ryan Grant last year and even guys like John Kuhn. Face facts guys TT is The ScoutMeister :)

Agreed! and to be clear, i am not saying that, in a specific situation, in a specific round, TT wouldn't decide to draft a certain player because he would fill a certain need. rather, i am saying that TT won't go into the draft saying, "we're gonna take a CB in round 1, a TE in round 2, a G in round 3, etc...."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

Agreed! and to be clear, i am not saying that, in a specific situation, in a specific round, TT wouldn't decide to draft a certain player because he would fill a certain need. rather, i am saying that TT won't go into the draft saying, "we're gonna take a CB in round 1, a TE in round 2, a G in round 3, etc...."

Yes that i agree with and I think that a majority of teams probably do something similar

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Tiger said:

Yes that i agree with and I think that a majority of teams probably do something similar

right. but so many people on this board are saying ted will probably take a te in round 1, a cb in round 2, etc... so apparently it's not as obvious as it would seem.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
that is the prob I see..

Say they are at the #1 pick and they have determined a clear need ( what ever it is )

The feel the bpa is rated by them just a pinch more above the player that would fit their needs, what do they do

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is the prob I see..

Say they are at the #1 pick and they have determined a clear need ( what ever it is )

The feel the bpa is rated by them just a pinch more above the player that would fit their needs, what do they do
that's why teddy gets paid the big bucks

Reaction score
I think they go with the player that fits their need.

'Just a pinch more' isn't enough to convince me to go BPA solely, Ted said usually his picks have BPA meshed together (in at least some small degree) with need.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT loves his 2nds. I can't think of all of them off the top of my head, but we got Gregorious in the 2nd. The 2nd round seems to be where you can find some real gems when other GMs are picking needs instead of BPA.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i don't like the "prima donna" complex that some (not all) first rounders get.

Me neither. The 2nd is magical. You sometimes get people who should have been drafted in the first round (Gregorious immediately comes to mind) that got overlooked for some reason, and you don't have to pay 1st round prices, nor deal with 1st round egos.

It's brilliant. More 2nd round picks, please! :cool:

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know if it's just me but i have a feeling that TT is gonna suprise us and draft someone we don't really know anything about that looks to be a reach aha

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know if it's just me but i have a feeling that TT is gonna suprise us and draft someone we don't really know anything about that looks to be a reach aha

so... you think that TT signing someone whom we don't know will be a surprise?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts