Updates on players being cut

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

There are 10 players that don't count against the 53 man roster, but they can practice with the team. Any other team can sign a player off your practice squad, but that player has to go on their 53, so the PS does protect your players to an extent. PS players also get paid way less than those on the roster.

Thank you :tup:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 10 players that don't count against the 53 man roster, but they can practice with the team. Any other team can sign a player off your practice squad, but that player has to go on their 53, so the PS does protect your players to an extent. PS players also get paid way less than those on the roster.
You also have the chance to sign them to your own 53 before letting them go to someone else's, like they did with Gurley 3 years ago.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

Not true at all. Most players prefer to go on a 53 and make a lot more money.
I agree.

The minimum pay for a PS player is $6,300 per week for each week he's on the PS during the regular season. That's what most of them are contracted for. I'm not sure if that's 16 or 17 possible paychecks. Either way, if a guy managed to stick on PS for the entire regular season he stands to make $100, 800 or $107,100. And there is no guarantee involved in this basic PS deal...if he is released uninjured the weekly paychecks stop right there.

If a guy is signed to a 53 man roster contract as of week one, the contracted pay for that season is guaranteed. With a rookie minimum of $420,000, that's a significant bird in the hand for a lot of these guys.

Further, getting signed to a 53 man roster offers an increased likelihood of seeing some regular season game action. The path to having a career and bigger paychecks down the line requires first getting on the field.

There is one caveat: a team can sign a PS player to a more substantial contract than the $6,300/week basic deal. I believe the Packers have done this in the recent past but I cannot recall the name(s), though I don't believe it was as much as the 53 man roster minimum. Such contracts can go some ways to dissuade a player from jumping solely for monetary reasons if he likes and sees a possible future with the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I do really like the idea of a 4-3 with Neal, D. Jones, Peppers, and Perry with Matthews at OLB. Or you could take out Neal and put in Matthews at DE. We should be able to get creative on the DL.

The Packers don´t play any 4-3 defensive formations though.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
The interesting things is that the PS money doesn't count against the cap, so it's not very difficult to offer more money.

PS-IR-PUP-INJURY SETTLEMENTS- all count against the cap. GB has around 12M in cap space, so its a non-issue unlike the Rams or Lions

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

PS-IR-PUP-INJURY SETTLEMENTS- all count against the cap. GB has around 12M in cap space, so its a non-issue unlike the Rams or Lions

After all the moves the Packers have made (not sure about the numbers on the injury settlements and it seems like they´ll try to reach one with Stoneburner as well) the team will have approximately $8 million in cap space.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

By the way, most injured players don't cost the full amount like you've been stating. To clear up the misinformation, according to Spotrac, these injured players will cost us these amounts:
Barclay: $570, 833
Palmer: $519,724
Stoneburner: $0
Thornton: $140,813
Abby: $36,140
Thomas: $1,666
Neal: $666
Adams: $0
Tiller: $0
Total: $1,269,842

Thornton will count $443,813, Abbrederis $339,140, Palmer $342,724 against the cap. As of right now Stoneburner and Adams are still on IR, so their contracts will result in a $318,000 and $303,000 cap hit respectively.

There´s no reliable information about the money involved in injury settlements, normally they´ll account for a cap hit close to $150,000 each though (half of the base salary).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.

The minimum pay for a PS player is $6,300 per week for each week he's on the PS during the regular season. That's what most of them are contracted for. I'm not sure if that's 16 or 17 possible paychecks. Either way, if a guy managed to stick on PS for the entire regular season he stands to make $100, 800 or $107,100. And there is no guarantee involved in this basic PS deal...if he is released uninjured the weekly paychecks stop right there.

If a guy is signed to a 53 man roster contract as of week one, the contracted pay for that season is guaranteed. With a rookie minimum of $420,000, that's a significant bird in the hand for a lot of these guys.

Further, getting signed to a 53 man roster offers an increased likelihood of seeing some regular season game action. The path to having a career and bigger paychecks down the line requires first getting on the field.

There is one caveat: a team can sign a PS player to a more substantial contract than the $6,300/week basic deal. I believe the Packers have done this in the recent past but I cannot recall the name(s), though I don't believe it was as much as the 53 man roster minimum. Such contracts can go some ways to dissuade a player from jumping solely for monetary reasons if he likes and sees a possible future with the organization.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077941/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-deadline
Mostly right, but a few corrections or updates.
#1 A player on PS for the entire season gets $6,300/week, or a max. of $107,100 for the season. They can be cut at any time and the checks stop (assuming they don't get picked-up elsewhere).
#2 A PS player signed to someone's 53 starts getting paid weekly at a min. of $420K/yr, or $24,700K/week. That is NOT a guaranteed contract ~ PS signed to 53 guys must be paid (not necessarily kept on the roster) for 3 weeks.
#3 You ARE correct that PS guys can get paid more TO stay on the PS ~ $6,300 is the minimum.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Checked the link. Obviously that is conflicting with Spotract right now, but it says nothing about what typically happens in regards to injury settlements. Link please, espec

EDIT: Actually, I looked at it again. Your link isn't stating what you are saying it does. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you got the Total Cap Number ($133+ million) - Top 51 ($125+ million) to get cap space of $8 million. Unfortunately, this does not adjust for carryover of almost $10 million, does not account for IR, dead money, etc. It does not account for going to 53, either.

The Packers have an adjusted salary cap of $141,835,480 for this season because of the rollover from the 2013 season. As of right now their total salary cap is at $134,071,752 including all players on the active roster, IR and practice squad as well as dead money. The only information I have about an injury settlement is the one of Colt Lyerla, who received an eight week settlement for a cap hit of $142,588.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Which is far from half.

After being waived injured and being placed on IR his base salary was automatically reduced to $303,000, as with nearly all rookies signing deals with the minimum base salary. The number depends on the weeks the settlement is for, which in Lyerla´s case was 8 out of 17.

H

HardRightEdge

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/29/6077941/nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-deadline
Mostly right, but a few corrections or updates.
#1 A player on PS for the entire season gets $6,300/week, or a max. of $107,100 for the season. They can be cut at any time and the checks stop (assuming they don't get picked-up elsewhere).
#2 A PS player signed to someone's 53 starts getting paid weekly at a min. of $420K/yr, or $24,700K/week. That is NOT a guaranteed contract ~ PS signed to 53 guys must be paid (not necessarily kept on the roster) for 3 weeks.
#3 You ARE correct that PS guys can get paid more TO stay on the PS ~ $6,300 is the minimum.
Regarding #2, note that I said the contract is guaranteed if the player was signed to the 53 man roster as of week 1. This was contemplating the circumstance where a player is cut before the season begins and the incumbent team offers him a PS spot, while somebody else offers him a 53 man roster spot (as some here argued would happen with Rolle).

Under this circumstance, the player is a free agent considering competing offers, not a practice squad player. If he were to sign a 53 man roster contract in this free agent status, I believe that contract is guaranteed.

It would appear the provision you quoted applies if a guy is singed off of a PS to a 53 man roster.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding #2, note that I said the contract is guaranteed if the player was signed to the 53 man roster as of week 1. This was contemplating the circumstance where a player is cut before the season begins and the incumbent team offers him a PS spot, while somebody else offers him a 53 man roster spot (as some here argued would happen with Rolle).

Under this circumstance, the player is a free agent considering competing offers, not a practice squad player. If he were to sign a 53 man roster contract in this free agent status, I believe that contract is guaranteed.

It would appear the provision you quoted applies if a guy is singed off of a PS to a 53 man roster.
Salaries for guys on a 53 man roster are only guaranteed for the season for vested veterans... a player with 4 accredited seasons. Rolle (nor any other guys sitting on PS today) is a vested veteran... NO guaranteed contracts.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Different sites show slightly different numbers. Not really sure why. Therefore calculations can show slight differences. I decided to calculate our cap with the numbers of Spotrac. First of all, those figures are confusing. If you take the 51 money from Spotrac + players 52 and 53 you get 119.840.455 million on salaries for the 53 man roster. However if you take the cap hits and calculate it the total cap you get 123.413.455 million.

The breakdown of my calculations is shown here:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

As you can see I didn't include injury settlements because I don't know the figures. Moreover we might reach some additional injury settlements to create addition cap space (and we will suffer additional injuries that cost cap space). I am also not sure whether injured players receive their roster bonus? That depends per deal right?

So with my calculations I get 8.634.268 $ in cap space. Therefore the figures presented by CaptainWIMM make sense (Which surprised me. My quick calculation showed +/- 12 million $ in cap space. Therefore I thought that DraftHobbyist would be right).

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Does this belong to anybody ???

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So with my calculations I get 8.634.268 $ in cap space. Therefore the figures presented by CaptainWIMM make sense (Which surprised me. My quick calculation showed +/- 12 million $ in cap space. Therefore I thought that DraftHobbyist would be right).

In addition the Packers adjusted salary cap for this season is approximately $141.8 million as the amount of room carried over was adjusted downward based on the final room available after the year-end reconciliation, resulting in costing the Packers $999,205.

So as of now the Packers have close to $7.7 million in cap space.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 51 are costing us $119,000455 right now according to Spotrac. How come you guys are counting the 53 as $123,413,455? That would mean the 2 lowest players on our roster are going to cost us each over $2 million. That doesn't add up.

I am confused as well. But I got 122.570.908 $ for the first 51 players based on their cap figures. If you would use the figures from overthecap these numbers would be similar (also 122 million dollar range). Therefore either this 51 number is incorrect or I am missing something Below is my excel breakdown (I would be very happy if you prove me wrong, since that would be good news for the Packers):

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition the Packers adjusted salary cap for this season is approximately $141.8 million as the amount of room carried over was adjusted downward based on the final room available after the year-end reconciliation, resulting in costing the Packers $999,205.

So as of now the Packers have close to $7.7 million in cap space.

I didn't know that. Do you have a source?

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's right/wrong or why, but Spotrac has the base salaries of many players crossed out. Tiller, Adams, Neal, Thomas, Abbrederis, Pennel, Elliot, Janis, Thornton, Goodson, Linsley, and Stoneburner. I'm not sure how much of that will eventually go against the 53. I've given my source of Spotrac, so you are free to look.

As I have said, I have used the cap figures from Spotrac for our 53. If I add these up I get 122.570.908 $, and not
119.842.787 $ as I would expect based on the given salary for the 51.

Members online

Latest posts