unrealistic expectations

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get Clowney for sure TT would have to get the first overall pick, that would cost at least our next three first rounders.

There's no chance TT would do that and he shouldn't.

First overall pick? Funny because most mock drafts have clowney going between 4-8. I think Clowney could be had if TT maybe gave up this yrs third and 1st...and next yrs second rd pick. im even for giving up next yrs 1st. Clowney could either be the next jpp or a bust..i think he will have the same effect ziggy ansah had in detroit so the risk is worth it to me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Frisco and seattle sucked for so long is a huge reason why they ate playing still..

Draft picks in higher rounds helps..

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well one is via the Draft. Trade up and take Clowney who immediately boost your pass rush and paired with a healthy Matthews the tandem could wreck havok for years to come.

Clowney:Realistic Salary imo APY: $4,086,751 spread over a four year rookie contract period.

Franchise Tag Sam Shields: Give him about $8.50 million

Dante Whitner: 3yr contract 4.5 a yr

All i'm looking for is a good safety and another pass rusher. I've chosen to adress pass rusher via draft. These moves don't cripple the cap and leave us with options to potentially bring back James Jones.

Im not honestly sure how to respond to the idea of trading up for clowney. I hope you realize the last time something like that was done was for Ricky Williams. The Saints traded their entire draft plus the following seasons 1st and 3rd pick to move from 12th to 5th.

I see Whitner in the 5-7 mil a year area of a contract depending on the market

Last edited:

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fail to see how anyone spending any time looking at the complete rosters and contracts of San Fran and Seattle don't understand that both teams are really in big big trouble. ...but it should be no shocker...it's only been a few years since both teams started winning again and it'll be no shocker to me when they're back at the bottom soon! ...but NONE of that is ever looked at by the anti-Ted crowd.

You're stoned if you think the niners and the seahawks are going to be "back at the bottom soon."

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amish, when Ted relies solely on the draft, he needs players to make an impact right away, or the defence will be bad, like it has been the last 3 years. I agree young players sometimes need a few seasons before they hit their stride, and there is nothing wrong with that. But they don't have the luxury of sitting behind a starter and learn Dom Capers system, they are thrown in to the fire and are suffering because of it.

If Ted would get some free agent help and acquire a veteran safety, a veteran linebacker, and possibly a veteran defensive lineman. These young guys could learn the system and know it before they have to be thrown in. When you hire a guy who has a really difficult system to learn, you cannot expect rookies to know how it works or know every play. But when drafting is the only way Ted has acquired players, those rookies and 2nd year players need to be good-great in order for this to work and the last 3 years, they just haven't.

Maybe next year with everyone healthy, the rookies won't have to start and maybe the 3rd year players will be finally ready to take that next step. but if he lets certain players walk, injuries happen again, it will be nothing more than rinse and repeat.

Carl, barely losing a game is still losing. I am happy it wasn't a blowout and that they didn't get embarrassed but until the packers actually start living up to their potential and winning some playoff games, they will still be nothing more than a team good enough to make the playoffs but can't hang with the elite teams of the league. This has been true the last 3 years. I hope next year they finally take that step and become the team we all know they can be, I just fear it will be rinse and repeat with free agency and drafting, and be stuck with the same problems. I hope I am wrong.

I don't understand how losing by three without their two best defensive players isn't hanging with one of the best.

And the 15-1 season, they beat the Saints and eventually champion Giants, but their offense decided to become generous and give away the ball during the postseason. That team was 3 games away from the best stretch of football in the history of the league. To me it's not arguable whether they were good enough to win it all. A very talented team had a bad game, it happens.

Last season, yeah it looked like they were outclassed by the Niners in both games, but what happened since then? The Packers closed the gap WITHOUT free agency. I suggest you look at the post regarding the 49ers roster too if you haven't seen it, because you'll see that in a few years the 49ers will probably be looking up at the Packers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're stoned if you think the niners and the seahawks are going to be "back at the bottom soon."

They may not be back at the bottom, but they certainly will not be able to retain what they have now. The Packers, however, have room to get better and they showed two weeks ago and in week one the gap is not very big.

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand how losing by three without their two best defensive players isn't hanging with one of the best.

And the 15-1 season, they beat the Saints and eventually champion Giants, but their offense decided to become generous and give away the ball during the postseason. That team was 3 games away from the best stretch of football in the history of the league. To me it's not arguable whether they were good enough to win it all. A very talented team had a bad game, it happens.

Last season, yeah it looked like they were outclassed by the Niners in both games, but what happened since then? The Packers closed the gap WITHOUT free agency. I suggest you look at the post regarding the 49ers roster too if you haven't seen it, because you'll see that in a few years the 49ers will probably be looking up at the Packers.

I don't understand why losing two more times to the niners this year is considered progress. So if we lose to them again next year by one point, is that a victory?

Coach McCarthy said it himself in the press conference after the third defeat in a row. He bristled at the suggestion that there was a positive to be taken from not getting blown out like last January.

Losing by fewer points isn't something to celebrate. The gap hasn't been closed.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand why losing two more times to the niners this year is considered progress. So if we lose to them again next year by one point, is that a victory?

Coach McCarthy said it himself in the press conference after the third defeat in a row. He bristled at the suggestion that there was a positive to be taken from not getting blown out like last January.

Losing by fewer points isn't something to celebrate. The gap hasn't been closed.

WRONG. Not only has "the gap closed' but if healthy, we beat them. How does a packer fan not get that? Just look at who was missing in that game and tell me we don't beat them if healthy. No question.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're missing the point, which is the Packers are not miles away from the Super Bowl like you're acting like.

You are also totaling ignoring the injury factor like Forderick. Their three best playmakers this season in Jolly, Shields, and Matthews gone for that game. They win with those guys. To expect a GM to make up for that is unrealistic.

You are also completely ignoring that the 49ers and Seahawks are two teams that struck gold in having two young and cheap QBs play so well right away. Both will not keep all their talent for long, while the Packers will get better.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing the point, which is the Packers are not miles away from the Super Bowl like you're acting like.

You are also totaling ignoring the injury factor like Forderick. Their three best playmakers this season in Jolly, Shields, and Matthews gone for that game. They win with those guys. To expect a GM to make up for that is unrealistic.

You are also completely ignoring that the 49ers and Seahawks are two teams that struck gold in having two young and cheap QBs play so well right away. Both will not keep all their talent for long, while the Packers will get better.

yep... no question

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
First overall pick? Funny because most mock drafts have clowney going between 4-8. I think Clowney could be had if TT maybe gave up this yrs third and 1st...and next yrs second rd pick. im even for giving up next yrs 1st. Clowney could either be the next jpp or a bust...

This years 1st AND 3rd
Next years 1st OR 2nd

So you think he could be just like the Giants JPP? and you are willing to give up at least 3 draft picks???

To give up that many picks and order of those picks, the guy better be like Clay or Lawrence Taylor

But the most odd ball thing is this----your willing to gamble those 3 picks for someone that you think could be a bust?

I am sorry, but I am sooooo glad you are not in charge of player personnel or even serve beer for the Packers

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven´t seen any mock drafts where Clowney dropped to No.3, let alone No. 8.

I'm not sure what we are debating here or why. Do you guys really think the people making the mock drafts have much more knowledge of this than any of you guys?

Who knows where he'll go. There are enough question marks about the guy that I won't be shocked at all if he falls to 8. I saw him play a few times this year where he looked more like a 3rd round pick than a top 5 pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who knows where he'll go. There are enough question marks about the guy that I won't be shocked at all if he falls to 8. I saw him play a few times this year where he looked more like a 3rd round pick than a top 5 pick.

Well, taking into consideration that all of us except of you are clueless I´lll trust you on that one.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, taking into consideration that all of us except of you are clueless I´lll trust you on that one.

no...pretty much you and a very select few others are clueless spoiled haters.... as long as you asked.

Most Packer fans clearly understand that winning divisions and getting into the playoffs is not easy, much less winning Super Bowls, which we just did...JUST THREE YEARS AGO! lol

sad...really sad... all the injuries and battled to win the division and you as a supposed fan pull this crap. Sad.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This years 1st AND 3rd
Next years 1st OR 2nd

So you think he could be just like the Giants JPP? and you are willing to give up at least 3 draft picks???

To give up that many picks and order of those picks, the guy better be like Clay or Lawrence Taylor

But the most odd ball thing is this----your willing to gamble those 3 picks for someone that you think could be a bust?

I am sorry, but I am sooooo glad you are not in charge of player personnel or even serve beer for the Packers

..i think he will have the same effect ziggy Ansah had in detroit so the risk is worth it to me. (you left this part out)

Funny how you left my last sentence out smh. Come on man. If you are going to quote me don't leave stuff out to make make your case. ANY top pick can be a bust, hello...thats the risk you take when you draft a guy. You don't know if he's going to be Lawrence Taylor or Brian Bosworth was my point. I think Clowney will be agood player none the less. BTW if i did serve you beer i would spit in it just for leaving my last sentence out of my quote.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WRONG. Not only has "the gap closed' but if healthy, we beat them. How does a packer fan not get that? Just look at who was missing in that game and tell me we don't beat them if healthy. No question.

We were healthy in the first game of the season and lost. I'm just saying.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not honestly sure how to respond to the idea of trading up for clowney. I hope you realize the last time something like that was done was for Ricky Williams. The Saints traded their entire draft plus the following seasons 1st and 3rd pick to move from 12th to 5th.

I see Whitner in the 5-7 mil a year area of a contract depending on the market

Uhh?? Did you watch the draft (2011)the year Julio Jones was drafted by Atlanta? better yet how about RG3 (2012)???

ATL gave up not 1, not 2, but 5 picks to trade up and take Julio Jones. 27th, 59th, and 124th in 2011 and their first and fourth in 2012. Julio Jones is one of the best Wr's in the NFL today so i think it worked out for ATL.

The Redskins acquired the pick (RG3) by giving the Rams FOUR high-value picks over three years: their No.6 overall pick in 2012, their second rd pick in 2012, and their first -round picks in 2013 and 2014. RG3 is a dynamic player and will continue to be when he's playing at 100% ..so looks like it worked out for the skins to.

Seems to me it's becoming more common that teams are trading to get their guy eh? Have a nice day :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers were missing Bulaga, Burnett, and Hayward.
ATL gave up not 1, not 2, but 5 picks to trade up and take Julio Jones. 27th, 59th, and 124th in 2011 and their first and fourth in 2012. Julio Jones is one of the best Wr's in the NFL today so i think it worked out for ATL.
Trading up for what you expect to be a franchise QB is one thing but I'm surprised you are using Julio Jones as an example of successful drafting. Yes, he's a great WR but look at what they gave up. After that "great" trade, how successful would you say their 2013 season was?

Thompson's boldest move in the draft was to trade up for Matthews and he was able to do that in part because of the 3rd rounder the Packers received for you-know-who going to the Jets. Thompson has said he will not mortgage a future draft for a current one so unless Clowney has a Rodgers-like slide that suggestion is moot.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know. I just watched that game on NFL rewind. Great game. Just like it was a great game two weeks ago. This Packer team with Lacey now in the program and up to speed and with Cobb back, we beat them.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhh?? Did you watch the draft (2011)the year Julio Jones was drafted by Atlanta? better yet how about RG3 (2012)???

The Redskins acquired the pick (RG3) by giving the Rams FOUR high-value picks over three years: their No.6 overall pick in 2012, their second rd pick in 2012, and their first -round picks in 2013 and 2014. RG3 is a dynamic player and will continue to be when he's playing at 100% ..so looks like it worked out for the skins to.

Seems to me it's becoming more common that teams are trading to get their guy eh? Have a nice day :)

Redskins only moved up a couple spaces but had to mortgage the future and failed.

Falcons made a bigger leap and the team suffered this season.

It's literally the worst idea I've ever hear on this forum.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers were missing Bulaga, Burnett, and Hayward. Trading up for what you expect to be a franchise QB is one thing but I'm surprised you are using Julio Jones as an example of successful drafting. Yes, he's a great WR but look at what they gave up. After that "great" trade, how successful would you say their 2013 season was?

Thompson's boldest move in the draft was to trade up for Matthews and he was able to do that in part because of the 3rd rounder the Packers received for you-know-who going to the Jets. Thompson has said he will not mortgage a future draft for a current one so unless Clowney has a Rodgers-like slide that suggestion is moot.

Maybe you are right. The ideal of drafting guy's like Nick Perry (always hurt), Derrick Sherrod ( hurt) Brian Bulaga (hurt), and BJ Raji (0 sacks in 2 yrs) in the 1st round seems to be working just fine. Carry on. Maybe the defense will crack the top 15 next year.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you are right. The ideal of drafting guy's like Nick Perry (always hurt), Derrick Sherrod ( hurt) Brian Bulaga (hurt), and BJ Raji (0 sacks in 2 yrs) in the 1st round seems to be working just fine. Carry on. Maybe the defense will crack the top 15 next year.

...and...like ivo asked you...exactly how did that work out for Atlanta or Washington?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe. BTW, do you fault Thompson for drafting players who get injured after they're drafted (as opposed to Justin Harrell who had an extensive injury history before the draft)?

And here's another thought. Thompson could mortgage the future and trade-up for Clowney and then he could suffer a season-ending injury in TC. And you could then add him to your list next off season inferring that too was somehow Thompson's fault.

BTW, did you want to respond to how the Falcons have done after that brilliant trade? Just asking...

Members online