Unofficial Thread: Discuss Matt Flynn's trade value

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Unless it's a 1 or a 2 I say keep him. He's a nice insurance policy to have around. Rodgers isn't made of steel like the last guy, this probably won't be the last game he misses.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When is his contract up? Gotta trade him before then. For what? Too early to tell.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn showed he can play at the pro level tonite. Allbeit against a beat up D and a dumbed down offensive gameplan.

I would take a high 3rd to low 2nd minimum for him. He is still under contract through 2011.

At this point, no one will trade a low first for him, unless it is in a crap shoot draft. He showed a lot of heart tonight.

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn's game last night will be reviewed by every NFL team in the league looking for a QB. A rookie QB making his first start against the oh-so-mighty New England Patriots, looking cool as a cucumber for all but the final minute of the game; almost 300 yards passing, 3 TD's... you better believe there are teams salivating all over themselves wishing they had him.

But I agree, unless it's a 1st round, keep him.. it's much easier to sleep at night knowing we have a back up QB that can take over at a moment's notice.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle received Matt Hasselbeck and the Packers' 2001 first-round draft choice (17th overall-Steve Hutchinson) in exchange for Seattle's 10th selection in the first round (Jamal Reynolds) and a third-round choice (Torrance Marshall)

Jamal Reynolds *shutters*

Thanks for bringing back those painful memories.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pats got a high 2nd for Cassell and were rumored to have been offered a 1st. Cassell did well for almost an entire season, so the value of Flynn would be a bit less. I would say a mid 2nd, but this should be a relatively poor draft, which could push the pick higher. Then again, there are a lot of good QBs in this draft, so the pick could be later.

Flynn played with a lot of poise. That is the biggest thing for a QB to be successful - and you never know for sure when you draft them, if that will translate to the NFL. That has some value.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 year left on his contract and its foolish for us to pay him after that the money he would want. Trade him during the draft. A 2nd or higher would make me happy. A 3 and a 5 would be fine too.

Maybe we could get that QB from Kilm MS to back Rodgers up... ;)

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unless it's a 1 or a 2 I say keep him. He's a nice insurance policy to have around. Rodgers isn't made of steel like the last guy, this probably won't be the last game he misses.

I have to agree with the idea of an insurance policy, Three concussions in one calender year raises red flags.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 year left on his contract and its foolish for us to pay him after that the money he would want. Trade him during the draft. A 2nd or higher would make me happy. A 3 and a 5 would be fine too.

right on.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the money he will get from another team. If someone else is willing to pay him starter money (which probably would happen), the Packers would not be in a position to match.

The question in my mind is if it's worth keeping him on the roster for 2011 knowing we will get less for him (compensatory pick) than we would by trading him. It would be a shame to be in contention next year and then need some wins by the backup QB and not have someone ready to go.

Im willing to take the risk if I am TT. If Arod went down early the season would be over reguardless. Who knows if Flynn plays again and throws up a couple duds then what happens? Little trade value. Buy low sell high.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say a 3rd Rounder other than that, there has been less seen of him than say Kerry Kolb.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the following teams need a QB

Dolphins
Raiders
Titans
49ers
Seahawks
Vikings
Cards
Bengals
Panthers
Broncos

about 3 of those can draft a QB with the idea of starting him. McNabb and Palmer should be available so that takes another 2 off the board.

But what does a team like the titans do? Collins is almost as old as favre so I think at that point you need to look at the future. They are not bad enough to get a top pick, so they would be a good team to trade with. Another team is the 49ers, they are not bad enough to get that top 5 pick most likely.

I think you could even bring up teams like washington or the Jets.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im willing to take the risk if I am TT. If Arod went down early the season would be over reguardless. Who knows if Flynn plays again and throws up a couple duds then what happens? Little trade value. Buy low sell high.

no doubt

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say why even bother trading him? We need a solid backup in case Rodgers ever goes down again for some reason. Why build a qb for someone else to use? He had one game, and yes it was a solid one, but we shouldn't be singing Flynn praises based upon one games performance.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say why even bother trading him? We need a solid backup in case Rodgers ever goes down again for some reason. Why build a qb for someone else to use? He had one game, and yes it was a solid one, but we shouldn't be singing Flynn praises based upon one games performance.

We will have to pay him starter pay if we resign him. Otherwise let him walk? No thanks. That makes no sense. Should we of held onto hasselbeck too?

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will have to pay him starter pay if we resign him. Otherwise let him walk? No thanks. That makes no sense. Should we of held onto hasselbeck too?

Why pay a backup starter pay? I don't think he's the type of primodonna that would want huge money. Not every nfl backup that starts one game demands starter pay his next contract renegotiation.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why pay a backup starter pay? I don't think he's the type of primodonna that would want huge money. Not every nfl backup that starts one game demands starter pay his next contract renegotiation.

If you dont think the packers will get trade offers your kidding yourself. He knows that and so does his agent. We resign him and its going to cost us.

No one in the NFL wants to be a back up. Thats a fact.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The only reason to pay a backup as a starter is if your starter is very close to the end of his career and you want your backup to be the next starter (ie. Steve Young when he backed up Joe Montana) and more importantly, the player is comfortable with this arrangement.

We already have a young starting QB who will hopefully be here for many years. If he is competitor (and we know he is), Flynn will want to start next year if he can.

We have traded several backups in the past - Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks - and gotten good returns for them. Flynn is no different.

The only question is whether to trade him in the offseason or prior to next year's trading deadline or to let him walk and get a compensatory. If the price is high (first or second rounder), I think I'm convinced that trading him is the better course of action - we get a higher pick and we get that pick one or two years earlier.

Whats the highest compensation pick we could get?

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
TRADE HIM FOR WHATEVER WE CAN GET. I'm sorry but hes not very good, he's ok, but hes not a great pocket passer. And we have A-ROD, if we can get a 3rd, I say trade him, even a 4th I would do it. We need depth all over the roster, TT can go get another solid college Qb and MM will coach him up to be an adequate back-up. however we still need starters on OL, DL,LB, DB,RB, etc etc the list goes on.

Members online

Latest posts