Unhappy Urlacher to skip Bears' 1st voluntary workout

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trouble in paradi....trouble in chicago:

For the second year in a row, the Bears will be without a Pro Bowl linebacker for the start of their voluntary off-season program, in part because of an unresolved contract situation.

Brian Urlacher told the Tribune on Sunday he plans to skip the first day of workouts, slated to begin Monday, and left open the strong possibility that he will bypass the Bears' entire voluntary off-season program, which includes organized team activities (OTAs).

The face of the Bears franchise informed the team of his intentions to remain in Arizona rather than attend the program at Halas Hall.

Urlacher cannot be fined for missing voluntary activities, according to the NFL Players Association collective-bargaining agreement. But the team could take internal action that stops short of formal discipline. For example, when running back Thomas Jones and Lance Briggs skipped the voluntary off-season portion of workouts in 2006, coach Lovie Smith briefly demoted the starters upon their return.

For reasons unrelated to his contract, Urlacher avoided some off-season workouts last season. He didn't want to comment publicly on his decision for this season.

It was fellow linebacker Briggs who missed voluntary workouts last season over a contract dispute and now it's Urlacher's turn—albeit in a much quieter way.

Urlacher wants a contract extension but has been relatively low-key about it, leaving the negotiating to his representatives, who have been in constant discussions with the Bears for the last six weeks.

Urlacher, who is signed through 2011, made $3.95 million last season—the same salary he is scheduled to make in 2008. Since last season ended, the Bears have rewarded tight end Desmond Clark and Alex Brown with multiyear extensions, and even gave quarterback Kyle Orton a one-year extension.

Urlacher said his recovery from neck surgery has nothing to do with his status for Monday. He has been cleared to participate and anticipates making a full recovery when he returns to the field.

Urlacher is not the only Pro Bowl-caliber player around the NFL to decide to skip the beginning of voluntary workouts because of a contract issue. Albert Haynesworth, the Titans' defensive tackle, made the same decision after Tennessee designated him to wear their franchise tag. Vikings center Matt Birk also is sitting out.

Bengals wide receivers Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh also protested by skipping workouts.

The Bears are likely to be without receiver Rashied Davis, who hasn't signed a one-year offer from the team.

Tribune reporter David Haugh contributed.

[email protected]

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this this morning as well and kind of overlooked it. I love it when there is controversy in our division that isn't on our team.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are likely to be without receiver Rashied Davis, who hasn't signed a one-year offer from the team.

Isn't he their #1 receiver now? :lol:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signed through 2011, and he's complaining???
Geez.........these multi-millionaires have it SO rough......makes me want to cry a river for them. :roll:

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez.........these multi-millionaires have it SO rough......makes me want to cry a river for them. :roll:
Maybe we can all take up a collection for him? Poor guy.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Maybe we can all take up a collection for him? Poor guy.
I already gave my :twocents: worth! :lol:

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is the biggest goon in Chicago. He ignores the local media opting for only National coverage from Fox Sports.....at training camp here in Bourbonnais...he avoids the fans...hey you don't have to sign autographs but at least walk past them and wave...instead he gets a private golf cart and goes around the back way to the practice field. I mean..how many ****** can ya sleep with or knock-up before you wake up and realize your a multi-millionaire Professional athlete? He probably not even the best on defence or at linbacker on the team for the last few seasons. He's old and hurt and now he wants one more big payday. Yeah Brian you signed that contract before all your allomony and child support payments...be a man...too..bad...too..Sad! Let's see if the brass treat this like they did Briggs...it'll be interesting.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean..how many ****** can ya sleep with or knock-up before you wake up and realize your a multi-millionaire Professional athlete?

Trom...how many can you?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts