OFFICIAL DEFENSIVE ISSUES THREAD

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Diego got one more shot with 1:05 left and got to the Green Bay 41, but Rivers’ deep pass for Vincent Jackson floated too far and into Peprah’s arms to finally end all the drama.​
“The confidence on the field was amazing to me,” Peprah said. “Even though we blew a three-score lead, we had the feeling we knew we were going to win the game, at least that’s the attitude we took.​
“We made the comment, ‘Why do we have to make it so ******* ourselves?’ But we stayed confident that somebody was going to make a play to get us off the field, and thankfully it was me.”​
Thankfully, yes. That’s a good word. The defense has been in that situation a lot this year and come through at crunch time, and that’s ultimately what matters.​
“I wouldn’t trade a perfect defensive game for a win,” Peprah said. “So I’ll take the ‘W’ and we’ll clean up the other things later.”​
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...nch-time/6fab6264-1561-4435-ae4e-eefc70f1ca2e

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Jaguars have the #5 defense right now. They've won 2 games. I like our situation better.

The Jaguars are amazing. They did beat the Ravens who beat the Steelers. The Jaguars are better then the Steelers who can't even beat the Ravens in two tries this season. I think the Jags run the table and get to the playoffs. That #5 defense will shut down the Packers offense. Poor Aaron to see his season end to the Jaguars in Indy with the whole world watching.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you choke up a 2 possession lead that fast?

Unbelievable.

I don't care if this ends up with a win or a loss. This is absolutely pathetic.

And anyone who tries to come in here and tell me it's not/we're fine/stop worrying is an idiot.
up by 21 is a three possesion lead.........and yes it was pathetic. I was there, especially when the Pack went up 45-24, I said "game over". How about that unside kick fiasco?

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I guess 8-0 just isn't good enough for some people.

When the Pats went 16-0 they had some close ones too. Sure, they lost the big one, but it wasn't solely because of the defense. Our D may not be playing top notch, but our offense sure is making up for it.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I'm only going to say it once and I am only going to post it here:

To point out weaknesses, concerns, mistakes, problems, etc. IS NOT to "hate" or to be a "hater."

To ignore these things is to be a hater. To pretend they do not exist is to be a hater, because if you really care about people (or in this case a TEAM or an organization) you want them to be their very best, and for them to be their best you must positively reinforce what they are doing right and point out and correct what they are doing wrong.
Are the Packers an awesome team this year? Absolutely! Are they 8-0? duh. Do they have problems and weaknesses? Definitely. Are some of the biggest problems and weaknesses on defense? Undoubtedly. Do these need to be fixed? Clearly.

I will revel in the Pack's 8-0 record, but I am not so blind, ignorant, or foolish as to not recognize that this defense has some major problems right now and if they do not get fixed it will be a problem. Yes, the offense can, will, and has bailed them out, but continued failures on defense will lead to resentment and animosity that will be the downfall of this team. One of the first posts I made on this forum was about the difference between Favre and Rodgers.
The big difference: Favre had the team convinced HE could win, Rodgers has the team convinced THEY can win. Individuals never have and never will win championships and if a rift develops between offense and defense the Pack will go nowhere and they will go there fast.

I am not a hater. I have been a fan since 1965. I have been a fan through some pretty lean years, and I have remained a faithful fan. If you want to call me a HATER because I see problems on defense, so be it, you are entitled to your opinion. The truth is I LOVE THIS TEAM and I want to see them reach their potential and the current state of affairs on defense isn't even close to their potential.

Now, let's all come together and relish the 8-0 Packers, admit there are are significant problems on defense, and set about to correct them so that we can go 19-0 and bring home another Lombardi.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

To point out weaknesses, concerns, mistakes, problems, etc. IS NOT to "hate" or to be a "hater."

To ignore these things is to be a hater. To pretend they do not exist is to be a hater, because if you really care about people (or in this case a TEAM or an organization) you want them to be their very best, and for them to be their best you must positively reinforce what they are doing right and point out and correct what they are doing wrong.
Are the Packers an awesome team this year? Absolutely! Are they 8-0? duh. Do they have problems and weaknesses? Definitely. Are some of the biggest problems and weaknesses on defense? Undoubtedly. Do these need to be fixed? Clearly.

I will revel in the Pack's 8-0 record, but I am not so blind, ignorant, or foolish as to not recognize that this defense has some major problems right now and if they do not get fixed it will be a problem. Yes, the offense can, will, and has bailed them out, but continued failures on defense will lead to resentment and animosity that will be the downfall of this team. One of the first posts I made on this forum was about the difference between Favre and Rodgers.
The big difference: Favre had the team convinced HE could win, Rodgers has the team convinced THEY can win. Individuals never have and never will win championships and if a rift develops between offense and defense the Pack will go nowhere and they will go there fast.

I am not a hater. I have been a fan since 1965. I have been a fan through some pretty lean years, and I have remained a faithful fan. If you want to call me a HATER because I see problems on defense, so be it, you are entitled to your opinion. The truth is I LOVE THIS TEAM and I want to see them reach their potential and the current state of affairs on defense isn't even close to their potential.

Now, let's all come together and relish the 8-0 Packers, admit there are are significant problems on defense, and set about to correct them so that we can go 19-0 and bring home another Lombardi.

For the longest time this year I thought folks were just nit picking with the Defense and I thought it's no big deal because Coach Capers would get it turned around. But when the players themselves start getting down about it, I stand up and take notice.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This D may not have the "STATS" that us fans want to see, BUT they do come through at CRUNCH time when they need to, as they did yesterday, and a few other times this season.

Relax folks...we're 8-0!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

You nailed it.
Neilfii, there is no reason to justify yourself for speaking out what everybody could see yesterday and the weeks before.
We do have major problems on defense, 8-0 does not mean that there is no room left for improvement.
For sure there will be soon a team that shut down Aaron Rodgers and this could mean that we'll loose this game.
But of course I do not want this on a playoff game and I am pretty sure that MM and Dom Capers are aware of the fact that D has to improve (very) soon !

GBMuskies

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When your favorite team is 8-0 and still has a lot of room for improvement you've got yourself something. When you're favorite team is 8-0 and is coached by coaches who seem capable of coaching a coachable team with a lot of room for improvement you've got yourself something.

A little something.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
up by 21 is a three possesion lead.........and yes it was pathetic. I was there, especially when the Pack went up 45-24, I said "game over". How about that unside kick fiasco?

I think Nelson had the right idea. He knew after that funny hop it wasn't going to be gathered in by him so he tried to bat it out of bounds. It just took a second funny hop and didn't. Though I kind of wonder if Nelson would NOT have even touched it, it just might have done out of bounds on itself. It was heading in that direction. If he would have let it go and blocked instead, would it have made it to the sidelines?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree something is amiss, but let's not freak out entirely about a defense that put 14 points on the board on their own and ultimately sealed the game with a third pick.

If anything, be pissed at special teams who let an on-side kick hit them in the hands and didn't recover it. While the Packers might not have done much on that drive, they would have eaten up the clock and pinned the Chargers a bit deeper, making it harder for them to score and burning more clock. Instead the Chargers struck quickly with a TD.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Nelson had the right idea. He knew after that funny hop it wasn't going to be gathered in by him so he tried to bat it out of bounds. It just took a second funny hop and didn't. Though I kind of wonder if Nelson would NOT have even touched it, it just might have done out of bounds on itself. It was heading in that direction. If he would have let it go and blocked instead, would it have made it to the sidelines?

I too think, that if he had let it go it was going out of bounds.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two biggest things I have noticed of late. Tramon Williams is not half the CB he was last year. How many times have we seen him get beat, i mean FFS vincent jackson had 3 or 4 TDs and every damn one was wide open. And then we dont have a linebacker that can cover ANYONE. Bishop looked like he was lost trying to cover Gates and hawk... well we all know how good he is in coverage.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you choke up a 2 possession lead that fast?

Unbelievable.

I don't care if this ends up with a win or a loss. This is absolutely pathetic.

And anyone who tries to come in here and tell me it's not/we're fine/stop worrying is an idiot.

So we have idiots cuz the disagree with you?

Nice....I suggest next time re-word it...ok? We (as in entire forum) don't want to get in a pissing match because your calling people idiots

This same topic was on WSSP 1250 this am

One host is okay with the D and other isnt...

One could say this.....It was the D that made a stand vs the Saints, Minnesota, and last night to win the game..

Or one could say that the D giving up the points was the reason for them to make a stop..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
All I will say is this----This defense last year was a HUGE reason why we got the the SB and won it..

Now in the span of 8 games Capers sucks? Has it EVER occurred to anyone that Capers only has certain players to work with? And if they cant do the job, and Ted wont get ones that will, why the hell blame Dom?

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
The D hasnt been performing... bottom line... but as great teams do they will find a way to turn it around... I guess stating the obvious in this thread is some poeples way of venting... at 8-0 I still am pretty happy... If that makes me and "Idiot" so be it!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I agree something is amiss, but let's not freak out entirely about a defense that put 14 points on the board on their own and ultimately sealed the game with a third pick.

If anything, be pissed at special teams who let an on-side kick hit them in the hands and didn't recover it. While the Packers might not have done much on that drive, they would have eaten up the clock and pinned the Chargers a bit deeper, making it harder for them to score and burning more clock. Instead the Chargers struck quickly with a TD.

I think that is the problem. We're so accustomed to the special teams sucking that when they do it, it doesn't faze us. But we were spoiled by a D that pulled together in the second half of last year and now we expect more. Maybe we expect too much. But I'm gonna have to go on BP medicine if these guys keep winning like this.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I will say is this----This defense last year was a HUGE reason why we got the the SB and won it..

Now in the span of 8 games Capers sucks? Has it EVER occurred to anyone that Capers only has certain players to work with? And if they cant do the job, and Ted wont get ones that will, why the hell blame Dom?

Kind of hard at this point to just "Get guys who will." Who is out there, right now, today, for Ted to pick up that we could just plug into our system, will know all the coverage and the playbook and will become the difference maker?

If you answered "No one," you answered correctly. Any personnel acquisitions are going to have to be done in the off-season. And no, I do not believe free agency to be key here. Free agency is akin to putting a band-aid over a bullet hole. I'd rather have long term success.

Look, no one knows why this defense is struggling, but there's not really a ton that can be done about it right now. Besides, with as good as this D was last year, I expected a bit of regression. I do, however, agree things will improve. When you consider the loss of Nick Collins, Burnett with a club cast and Mike Neal is still on the sidelines, Capers is kind of limited in what he can do. Hopefully Neal is back this week, and Burnett should be getting that cast off soon. That will give Capers a bit more flexibility, which will help improve this defense.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is the problem. We're so accustomed to the special teams sucking that when they do it, it doesn't faze us. But we were spoiled by a D that pulled together in the second half of last year and now we expect more. Maybe we expect too much. But I'm gonna have to go on BP medicine if these guys keep winning like this.

Technically, the second half begins now. Yesterday's game was the last one of the first half. :)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just moved about 10 posts in the Packers are fine thread to this thread..

Those posts were only *****ing about the defense...This thread is the proper place to do that..

Do not clutter up the other thread where the OP wants only looking at the better side of the team..

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that you're not allowed to be critical of a team that could obviously use some improvement, but more like "How many times are people going to keep railing on this subject?" We have several threads on this team's 2011 defense already, how many more do we need? And how much more is there to talk about on this subject? Yes, we all know this team needs improvement and we're disappointed in the let down that is the Packers 2011 defense. They're giving up a lot of yards, could cost us a game when it matters most, blah blah blah. Is there really any more to say beyond that? Is this a discussion that really needs to continue?

If you have genuine analysis and realistic ideas for improvement, I'm sure people would love to hear about it. Otherwise, this constant whining and pissing and moaning about our defense is growing tired. Yes, we all know it's regressed. No, we don't know why, and no, it's not helpful to speculate or discuss past personnel decisions that can't be unmade at this point.

This whole discussion reminds me of the running back debate we had last year, when people kept harping on how bad our running game was, saying it was going to cost us a win and a shot at a championship. It grew old and stale and tiresome. Instead of whining about things, how about people discuss possible, realistic solutions?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's not that you're not allowed to be critical of a team that could obviously use some improvement, but more like "How many times are people going to keep railing on this subject?" We have several threads on this team's 2011 defense already, how many more do we need? And how much more is there to talk about on this subject? Yes, we all know this team needs improvement and we're disappointed in the let down that is the Packers 2011 defense. They're giving up a lot of yards, could cost us a game when it matters most, blah blah blah. Is there really any more to say beyond that? Is this a discussion that really needs to continue?

If you have genuine analysis and realistic ideas for improvement, I'm sure people would love to hear about it. Otherwise, this constant whining and pissing and moaning about our defense is growing tired. Yes, we all know it's regressed. No, we don't know why, and no, it's not helpful to speculate or discuss past personnel decisions that can't be unmade at this point.ne

This whole discussion reminds me of the running back debate we had last year, when people kept harping on how bad our running game was, saying it was going to cost us a win and a shot at a championship. It grew old and stale and tiresome. Instead of whining about things, how about people discuss possible, realistic solutions?

Charles Woodson offered his take on at least one thing that he felt should change. He said it isn't good that Matthews is stuck at primarily one spot all the time. He thinks Clay should be moved around more so he can be more disruptive.

Members online

Latest posts