Underclassmen in 2006 NFL Draft

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The latest list of underclassmen is growing. With the #5 pick and the #37 (round 2) the Packers have an oppertunity to nab two outstanding players that could make major contributions next season.

The following is a list of underclassmen who have declared they will enter the 2006 NFL draft.

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
Ray Edwards, DE, Purdue
Willie Hall, OT, Middle Tennessee State
Devin Hester, WR/CB, Miami
Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green
Greg Lee, WR, Pittburgh
Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian
Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
Richard Marshall, CB , Fresno State
Stanley McGlover, DE, Auburn
Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
Bernard Pollard, S, Purdue
Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
Drouzon Quillen, WR, Louisiana-Monroe
Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State
Rob Smith, G, Tennessee
Demetris Summers, RB, South Carolina
Paul Szczesny, LB, Arizona State
Stephen Tulloch, LB, North Carolina State
Marcus Vick, QB, Virginia Tech
Dee Webb, CB, Florida
Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice long impressive list until you at how those same guys are ranked at their positions. At best nine of them are even in the top 10 at their position.

One of those WR Holmes. Sounds good except this year is considered one of the weakest WR crops in some time.

That brings us to eight.

Both of the TEs should be great NFL prospects but both will be gone by our second round pick and #5 is too early to take one of them so they matter little to the Packers.

RB Maroney could be around in round two but I think other positions will hold better players at that point. In my opinion after the top 2 RBs there is a big dropoff.

Both of the higher ranked DEs would be a intriguing for the Pack I must admit. Especially Mario Williams, but which to take at #5 Williams or Kiwanuka?

DT Ngata is again a very interesting guy for GB but I can't see them taking a NT so soon. Again you would have to choose between Ngata and Wright.

Way too early for a Safety. Blue and Huff will be lucky is they go late first round or early second.

Lastly Hester isn't as tall or big as I would like to see in a CB. Especially his weight.

At best six or seven of these guys go in between our first and second round picks. I guess it helps a bit in letting a couple of guys slip farther down the food chain in the second round. Other than the TEs, the two DEs and the DT I don't see much on list that the Packers will miss out on or even want.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we dont need a wr\kr, and we sure dont need a young CB....i dunno, i dunno. Gakk, awesome picture

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
Hester I think, would be best as a WR and KR/PR.
I couldn't find Hester listed under anything but a CB ranking. I think most NFL people see him as a CB.

Members online