UK Packers Family on our way to Green Bay...

Acme Packers 68

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
We're a family from the north of the UK, always had a soft spot for the Packers, but now having two football addicted boys aged 12 and 9 (both play cadet level here in the UK and recently made the national finals) who support the Pack from a distance, we decided this year to make the trip to Green Bay for the last match of the season, coming via Chicago and Milwaukee. This is our 'once in a lifetime' trip, so I'm hoping the weather will be kind (some hope) and the match against the Lions will mark a winning start to 2012 (how could it do otherwise ;) ). We're booked with packer fan tours so have tickets and a tailgate, but if anyone has any tips on making it special, places to see, people to meet, tips on what to wear - we get it cold here - but not Green Bay cold! - and so on, all would be appreciated. I will of course be checking across the forums, and hope to meet some of you at Lambeau!! Perhaps we'll even be 15-0 by then and we can be there for history to be made!

North44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, what a fabulous trip- not the normal UK family trip to the States as most seem to go to Disney World or something, which is also fun of course. ;) The weather in December usually isn't too bad- it's January/February when you really have to think twice.

Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing you around. :)

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome! Re: game attire: Feel free to wear ANY Packer jerseys or if you would like to wear something representing the UK, Chelsea FC kits are also acceptable! ;) :cool::tup:

Go Pack Go! & Go Blues! :tup:

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great trip! If you're spending any time in Chicago and Milwaukee the museums are always great. Of course in Green Bay the whole Lambeau and Packers museum deal is great. For the game, wear layers! The only game I went to up there I wore full winter sports gear with snowboard boots and that worked well.

I just realized what a nerd I am, everywhere I go I seem to end up at a museum...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Welcome aboard this Super Bowl bound train. How awesome to come to Lambeau all the way from the UK.

OP
OP
Acme Packers 68

Acme Packers 68

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Guys, many thanks for the responses. I must admit after the Giants match I'm now beginning to think we might actually be at Lambeau to see the Pack go 16-0. We've picked up a lot of winter gear and hope to make it to the museum/hall of fame etc. We're staying down at Milwaukee until the day before, coming to Green Bay on New Year's Eve. I'm hoping that as you're used to snow around those parts if it does come down there's no chance we'll be blocked from getting from Milwaukee to Green Bay? I've booked an SUV rental, and will get some snow chains if needed, couldn't stand getting so close and then not making the final hurdle!! Anything likely to be happening in Green Bay on New Year's Eve or any recommendations for somewhere to go with the family? Many thanks!!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I'll leave the recommendations to the folks that live up that way..just wanted to add my welcome, and say what an amazing trip this will be!!
Funny about the snow chains...could you imagine?? Getting all that way, and stuck on the side of the road just miles from lambeau?? I'd pack snow shoes..just in case! lol nahhh I'm sure the road crews will keep them clear! :tup:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Freeways rarely shut down for snow. Getting in and out of parking lots though could be tricky. SUV's don't always have the ground clearance to get over the banks. Depending on which GB hotel, you may be able to ride a bus to the field in a snowstorm. NO matter what else, dress warm. 4hours in the cold under-dressed is a really bad memory. Get hand, toe, and body warmers for sure.

OP
OP
Acme Packers 68

Acme Packers 68

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good news about the freeways, I imagined that would be the case, in the UK everything tends to shut down for snow because we have so little of it, and are therefore somewhat inevitably under-prepared! We're staying in the Hyatt on Main, I think it was the Sierra previously, I presume we could get from there to Lambeau fairly easily? The kids are really excited now - it'll be a long trip but well worth it.

As the moderator asked - we're from Morecambe Bay ( slightly less well known!) in the North of the UK, just on the Edge of the Lake District - it's very scenic. My boys play for a football team 40 miles down the road and although it's only a minority sport over here - they absolutely love it - eldest (12) has a Packers fleece on his bed and is rarely seen without a Green Bay shirt on - he's turned lots of his schoolmates on to the Pack now too! Of course success helps somewhat too, for those looking for a team to follow in a new sport!!! Happy to say we've stuck with them in less successful times.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts