Two words sum up goal

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By GREG A. BEDARD
[email protected]
Posted: June 19, 2008

Green Bay - In their final huddle until the 2008 season really begins with training camp, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy had his players break by saying two simple words that reverberated throughout the massive Don Hutson Center on Thursday:

Super Bowl.

Sure, as cornerback Al Harris said, the goal of every team is to make the Super Bowl. But only a few have a legitimate chance. And the Packers, after one of their most successful off-season training programs, think they are one of those teams.

“We definitely feel that it’s a realistic achievement for us with the guys we have in the locker room and what we achieved last year,” linebacker Nick Barnett said.

The Packers went 13-3 last season and won the NFC North title before suffering a painful overtime loss to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game at Lambeau Field.

Yes, quarterback Brett Favre has retired after having an MVP-caliber season, but the Packers’ confidence is as high or even higher.

“We have a good football team here,” said right tackle Mark Tauscher, who is entering his ninth season. “There’s more talent here than I think at any point since I’ve been here. This is a very talented football team.”

McCarthy certainly wouldn’t argue with Tauscher’s opinion.

“Our roster, this is the best it’s looked since I’ve been here as far as the names and the talent and the type of people on the board,” McCarthy said. “So I’m very happy with that, the depth of it.”

Attendance in the team’s off-season workouts was at an all-time high, and the Packers should be nearly 100% healthy when they report to camp. Even though McCarthy has some fear about the state of his defensive line, he expects everyone to be ready to go on July 28.

Off the field, the Packers, led by quarterback Aaron Rodgers, have taken steps to bring the team closer together.

“We want to win, which is why you see the guys doing what they’re doing,” receiver Donald Driver said. “Most of us are in here every day. Off-season workout program. (Organized team activities). Lifting. Getting treatment. Guys are doing everything they can do to prepare for this season.”

The Packers might be at an elite level but there are obvious concerns:

Can Rodgers be effective for a whole season even though he has never started a game? Will running back Ryan Grant have a contract in place by camp? Will the offensive line continue to struggle? Was the Packers’ lack of a pass rush late last season a sign of things to come? Can the older players — and the team as a whole — continue to stay healthy?

“My confidence is better this season that it was last year,” Driver said. “It gets better and better, and I think that’s what you have to say. We have a very talented team, it’s just a matter of everybody going out there and doing their jobs. If everybody does their job, then we’ll be OK.”

McCarthy said he wouldn’t place any expectations on his team. He said that led to “false confidence.”

“I’m a big believer in real confidence, and that’s something that we’ll stay in touch with,” McCarthy said.

“We’re trying to win every single football game, and this team is a team that has the ability to be something special and we felt that way coming off our offseason last year. We felt good about the direction we were going. I think our challenges are going to be a lot different this year. The obstacles that we’re going to have to get over are going to be a lot different. We just have to go out week in and week out and find ways to win games. That will be our focus. That’s the one thing I can promise you.”

The Packers hope that will be enough. After a season on the brink of greatness, anything less might not be acceptable. With the two words the Packers spoke as one as they left the field, they said as much themselves.

“I think you want to have high expectations,” Tauscher said. “I think it’s good to have that added pressure on you. So am I going to say we need the Super Bowl or bust? I just think we need to come out and play good football and let everything fall into where it’s going to fall.”

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive felt really good about this offseason too. Im suprised more articles like this havent been written.

From Chuck and Al being in camp earlier than ever... Chuck damn near stayed the whole off season. To positive progress reports on nearly every players off season work out program. To the rookies looking decent already.

This has been a great way to start the year. quietly confident despite not having Favre.

Sadie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm liking the confidence coming from the Packers. Hopefully Aaron Rodgers can bring us to the promised land.

Nevertheless, we love #4, forever.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They misquoted Mike McCarthy.
He was actually talking to his team to ask them if they wanted to go to lunch or go bowling.
He said "Soup or bowl?" :wink:
(Sorry......once again what immediatly popped into me head was "cheesey".) :lol: I can't help it.....it's a disease. :wink:

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't want the coach and team to have any less of a goal would we? Doubtful there are any coaches (other than Childress maybe) that end a workout with "nine and seven on three, ready..."

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've prepared myself for never seeing either of my favorite sports teams win another championship. I've seen 5 championships all together from my teams, the Packers and the Yankees. I have friends who have never, and probably will never see their teams win a championship, so I can't complain.

But...
I can't help but think that if either team did win another championship anytime soon, that I'd appreciate it more than I did the other ones. Does that make any sense? Not that I didn't appreciate the Super Bowl 31 win, but I've become a MUCH bigger Packer fan in the last 11 years. I know it probably sounds weird, but I almost feel like I've never seen the Packers win a title. I didn't soak it up as much back then as I know I would now. I didn't save one newspaper clipping from that Super Bowl. Now I'd be buying every paper I could find.

Anyways, that's just my selfish streak rearing it's ugly head, Haha! Like I said, though, I can't complain. I've seen my teams win, and that's really all a fan can ask for...except for maybe one more! Haha!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've prepared myself for never seeing either of my favorite sports teams win another championship. I've seen 5 championships all together from my teams, the Packers and the Yankees. I have friends who have never, and probably will never see their teams win a championship, so I can't complain.

But...
I can't help but think that if either team did win another championship anytime soon, that I'd appreciate it more than I did the other ones. Does that make any sense? Not that I didn't appreciate the Super Bowl 31 win, but I've become a MUCH bigger Packer fan in the last 11 years. I know it probably sounds weird, but I almost feel like I've never seen the Packers win a title. I didn't soak it up as much back then as I know I would now. I didn't save one newspaper clipping from that Super Bowl. Now I'd be buying every paper I could find.

Anyways, that's just my selfish streak rearing it's ugly head, Haha! Like I said, though, I can't complain. I've seen my teams win, and that's really all a fan can ask for...except for maybe one more! Haha!
I was pretty young when we won SB's one and two, but it made me appreciate the SB 31 win that much more, having to go through that LONG dry spell. I remember the Bucks championship too....but it was SO long ago. Hopefully the Brewers and Packers can come through this season and give me LOTS to cheer about! :D

Sadie

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But...

I totally agree with that statement. It seems that as time goes on my love for the Yankees and the Packers grew to heights it has never reached before. It was sheer joy seeing them play in the NFC Championship last year and I'm hoping they can top that this year.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urgh Bedard! Learn the difference between "it's" and "its." It's so annoying when reporters can't type English.

Cheesey - that was actually good. Reminds me of the time our waitress asked my Grandfather "soup or salad?"

He said "yes."

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I don't want to jinx us so I'm not going to say any predictions about this year other than we win the NFC North.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urgh Bedard! Learn the difference between "it's" and "its." It's so annoying when reporters can't type English.

Cheesey - that was actually good. Reminds me of the time our waitress asked my Grandfather "soup or salad?"

He said "yes."
Sounds like your Grandfather is my kind of guy!!! :lol:
I do that kind of stuff all the time. A waitress asks me "Would you like to order?" and I say "Yes"......and then sit there stone faced without saying another word.
Or the time we went into a semi-fancy restaurant in Port Washington, and the hostess asked me "Do you have reservations?" And I answered "Yes, but we are gonna eat here anyway". You should see the LOOKS i get! PRICELESS!!! :lol: If it's (see? I know the right usage!!! :wink: ) not an answer they have preprogrammed into their heads, you can SEE their minds searching for an answer! It's (again, proper usage) hilarious!!!
Or when i have to pick up "feminine products" for my wife, i will look at the checkout girl and say "They're not for me" in a straight face. I LOVE the look they get on their faces!!!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or when i have to pick up "feminine products" for my wife, i will look at the checkout girl and say "They're not for me" in a straight face. I LOVE the look they get on their faces!!!

:lol:

Maybe I should buy Mrs. Z's feminine products, then say in a straight face "I'm thinking of changing back."

Scary thing is here outside San Francisco, they won't think I'm joking. :shock:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow cheesy, that one about reservations is great. I'm sure a lot of hostesses would be so confused LOL
Thanks! :D
I love to mess with their minds.......they usually are on "auto pilot" and anything out of the ordinary immediatly snaps them back in the real world!

One time, i ordered a cheeseburger. When the waitress brought it to me, i took the top bun off, got a disgusted look and said in an angry voice "THIS is a CHEESEBURGER!!!!" She got flustered and said "But....but....thats what you ordered!" I smiled real big and said "I KNOW!!!"
You could see the wheels in her head grinding to a halt! They NEVER forget me! :wink: I like to make them smile. It makes them forget about all the people they have to deal with that treat them like crap.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

:lol:

Maybe I should buy Mrs. Z's feminine products, then say in a straight face "I'm thinking of changing back."

Scary thing is here outside San Francisco, they won't think I'm joking. :shock:
OH!!! I've done that! Go up with **** pads, then say kind of under my breath, without smiling......"I really prefer tampons." You should see their eyes bug out! :shock: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.