Two Round Mock (2/26) plus commentary

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was bored, did this, probably missed a few players, screwed up a few picks, but free agency will blow this thought process to hell anyway...enjoy!

1. Oakland- QB Jamarcus Russell, LSU
...A more complete prospect than Quinn, Lane Kiffin announced that Moss/Porter will stay and this kid's downfield ability could be the main reason why
2. Detroit- OT Joe Thomas, Wisconsin
...Games are won and lost inside the trenches, and places outside of Detroit
3. Cleveland- RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
...Droughns is solid but a one dimensional back, the Browns are getting better but aren't ready to make the next step, Peterson could help however
4. Tampa Bay- WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
...Honestly I think a team makes a trade to snatch CJ before here, Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland all have needs across the board and Johnson is an amazing talent
5. Arizona- DE Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas
...No areas of glaring need for the Cards, some say they're close to turning the corner, Anderson is raw talent coming from college as a junior but shows great potential
6. Washington- DE Gaines Adams, Clemson
...Washington may look to trade down here
7. Minnesota- QB Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
...It makes sense, great value at the 7th pick, and Tavares Jackson isn't that good
8. Houston- DT Alan Branch, Michigan
...A steal at the 8th pick, but that is a testament to how deep this draft is...not a lot of help for Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans is a good young linebacker who produced without help up front, and for those of you who go OT here, no i don't think Levi Brown is worth a top ten pick...
9. Miami- S Reggie Nelson, Florida
...Brady Quinn off the board, Vonnie Holliday re-signed, a lot of the dolphins' needs can't be solved here, I go BPA, and almost any team in the league would take Reggie Nelson and find a place for him to fit in, here its' Miami...
10. Atlanta- S Laron Landry, LSU
...The Falcons' arent young/too good at either safety position, I'd love to see Landry fall to 16 but its' not gonna happen, especially with a bunch of unheardof's available on the FA market
11. San Fran- DT Amobi Okoye, Louisville
...They could be the first team to select a cornerback because they need help there, and linebacker also...but they're oldest up front, I take Okoye and the highest upside
12. Buffalo- WR Dwayne Jarrett, USC
...Lee Evans developed as an over the top threat this year, Jarrett is added to move the chains as the Bills, as a surprise to most, continue to develop
13. St. Louis- LB Patrick Willis, Ole Miss
...Pretty confident about this one if Willis is around at this point, Will Witherspoon has produced in the middle, none of the other LB's have...
14. Carolina- LB Lawrence Timmons, Florida State
...The Panthers LB core consists of Dan Morgan and Na'il Diggs who are injured more often than not, and I think Diggs is a free agent too...Timmons has great athleticism
15. Pittsburgh- OT Levi Brown, Penn State
...I've seen Posluszny go here, but I think Pittsburgh can find a body to fit their scheme in later rounds to be molded into their 3-4, losses of Hartings at center and probably Max Starks at OT make this a priority
16. Green Bay- RB Marshawn Lynch, California
...No I don't like it, subject to change if Ahman signs or not, but it makes the most sense for now
17. Jacksonville- LB Paul Posluszny, Penn State
...I think he'll be better than AJ Hawk at the next level...still showed effects from the knee injury to begin the season but his instincts are too good for that too matter, when helthy the second half of the season he dominated...no signs of that stopping, whoever takes the 3rd "ranked" linebacker will get the player who ends up being maybe the best defensive player from this draft
18. Cincinnati- DT Quinn Pitcock, Ohio State
...A reach perhaps but Cincy's defense up the middle suffered
19. Tennessee- DE Adam Carricker, Nebraska
...I've seen him close to the top ten in some mocks, next to Vandenbosch, and the potential for their d-line is limitless if Haynesworth can keep his head outta hsi ***
20. NY Giants- WR Ted Ginn Jr., Ohio State
...This offense will need some help, Burress is a solid #1 reciever but after him its an aging Amani Toomer and some scrubs, Ginn's speed makes him a good choice here
21. Denver- CB Leon Hall
...Michigan sucks
22. Dallas- WR Dwayne Bowe, LSU
...I refuse to believe they or any team would blow a first round pick on a guard (Blalock), Bowe is a gamble but you can't count on Owens and Terry Glenn is old, actually both are, Bowe's the guy I want at #16 if that's any indication of his talent
23. Kansas City- WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee
...Eddie Kennison's a few years into his 30's, they need another playmaker to give the passing game and LJ's running any hope
24. New England (f/sea)- DE/OLB Jarvis Moss, Florida
...Seemingly too big for a linebacker but I've seen him, he looks a lot like Willie McGinnest, and the Pats are in need of a Linebacker
25. NY Jets- CB Darelle Revis, Pitt
...Some holes in the Jets secondary as we saw in the playoffs, Revis is a junior out of college, still could need some time to develop
26. Philly- S Michael Griffin, Texas
...The only glaring need for the Eagles is Linebacker, not much available here, the Eagles have a history of drafting a few years in advance, and Brian Dawkins is getting up in years...
27. New Orleans- CB Aaron Ross, Texas
...Their pass defense almost cost them the game vs. the Eagles, Ross is the next best DB available
28. New England- WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina
...I didn't want to pick him for the Pats, thinking that they'd look to free agency this year for wide out help, but they need talent at that position, especially with Chad Jackson's injury in the AFC title game
29. Baltimore- DE/OLB Quentin Moses, Georgia
...They're not getting Adalius Thomas back, Moses has first round talent no doubt, but attitude/work ethic questions loom, a good pick for the Ravens who are well off for the most part
30. San Diego- OG Justin Blalock, Texas
...Forget what I said earlier, this team has everything, I just wanted to pick somebody for the Chargers and not spend twenty more minutes trying to figure out what this team could possibly need
31. Chicago- TE Greg Olsen, Miami
...an amazing 40 time gives him the spot as #1 tight end i think
32. Indianpolis- DT Demarcus Tyler, NC State
...Still some help needed on the run D

Second Round (rapid fire, commentary where necessary)
33. Oakland- RB Micheal Bush, Louisville
...again I think they trade down at some point for some extra picks, regardless, offense picks for this team a safe bet
34. Detroit- CB Daymeion Hughes, Cal
35. Tampa Bay- DE Victor Abiamari, Notre Dame
...Old everywhere on defense, BDPA here
36. Cleveland- CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno State
37. NY Jets (f/was)- DE Charles Johnson, Georgia
38. Arizona- OT Joe Staley, Central Michigan
39. Houston- FS Brandon Meriweather, Miami
40. Miami- DE Anthony Spencer, Purdue
...The Dolphins need offense but there's just not a lot there
41. Minnesota- LB HB Blades, Pitt
42. San Fran- LB Lamarr Woodley
...Michigan sucks
43. Buffalo- TE Zack Miller, Arizona State
44. Atlanta- WR Anthony Gonzalez, Ohio State
45. Carolina- DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
46. Pittsburgh- C Ryan Kalil, USC
47. Green Bay- RB Brian Leonard, Rutgers
...please
48. Jacksonville- OT Josh Beekman, Boston College
49. Cincinnati- LB Brandon Siler, Florida
50. Tennessee- OT Aaron Sears, Tennessee
51. NY Giants- LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
...with the releases of Arrington, Petitgout, a left tackle is also a valid selection here
52. St. Louis- DE Ray McDonald, Florida
53. Dallas- OT Tony Ugoh, Arkansas
54. Kansas City- QB Drew Stanton, Michigan State
...I've been saying they should go QB for a few years now, in fact I hoped they would be the team to draft Aaron Rodgers before we could
55. Seattle- WR John Higgins, UTEP
...if the Darrell Jackson trade rumors are true
56. Denver- S Aaron Rouse, VA Tech
57. Philadelphia- LB Buster Davis, Florida State
58. New Orleans- LB Earl Everett, Florida
59. NY Jets- WR Steve Smith, USC
60. New England- CB Chris Houston, Arkansas
...I know Samuel was franchised but still thin back there
61. Baltimore- RB Tony Hunt, Penn State
...they need a back and I think Tony Hunt deserves to creep into round 2, good fit
62. San Diego- WR Craig Davis, LSU
...today's stat: Keenan McCardell is 37?!?!?!
63. Chicago- LB David Harris
...Michigan sucks
64. Tampa bay (f/Ind)- CB Tanard Jackson, Syracuse

EDIT i did this draft in two parts and kinda forgot we drafted Lynch before giving us Brian Leonard, so screw it...

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
couple of things to take into account
kc took Brodie Croyle last year as maybe a qb of the future
Chris Houston might just be the best man to man coverage corner in the draft should go up in the 1st round maybe first corner taken check out what he did against some of those first round receivers
not to bad just like my mock it probably wont be worth crap when draft day actually rolls around

Reaction score
I don't think Nelson is the first S off the board, Landry is much better according to what I have read.

I still think the Vikes will give Jackson a shot, and might choose to go for an O player that would help the team and Jackson.

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and its Joe Thomas not Joe Washington

hahaha awesome...i had like seven different windows open while doing this probably got confused at some point...as soon as i noticed i gave the packers backs first two rounds i pretty much scrapped this but posted it anyway, i'll do an improved one after free agency

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to open up discussion on:
Miami
Dallas
New England
San Diego

they were the teams that it was hard to really hammer down a need for in the first round, what does everyone else think they could do?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to open up discussion on:
Miami
Dallas
New England
San Diego

they were the teams that it was hard to really hammer down a need for in the first round, what does everyone else think they could do?
Miami

Will look at Levi Brown. They're biggest need is on the offensive line which was a disaster last year. Brown could be a reach this high but he fills a huge need and most consider him a top 15 pick.

Leon Hall makes a lot of sense as well. He posted good numbers thus far at the combine and would fill a need a corner. Ever since Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain left they've failed to address that position.

Ted Ginn Jr. would give them a playmaker on offense. He can do it all. His speed is one of a kind and his acceleration is amazing. Cam Cameron is an offensive coach and he could look in that area.

Adam Carriker has been fantastic so far. He can play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT and DE. He's the most versatile Defensive lineman in the Draft and they need to find some youth there.

Amobi Okoye has a lot of upside and I think he has a legit shot at going there as well. He didn't have a "lights out" combine but his potential seems unlimited.

Dallas

A offensive guard is their biggest need right now. Leonard Davis has been linked there so if they sign him this could change. Arron Sears, Ben Grubbs, and Justin Blalock all could go to them. Blalock is the best fit in my opinion.

WR is a need. Dwayne Jarrett, Dwayne Bowe, Anthony Gonzalez, and Robert Meacham all make sense. I think they're not likely to go with a pick here but they need depth and Glenn and Owens are getting old.

CB is a slight need. They have no depth behind Terrance Newman and Anthony Henry. Chris Houston, Aaron Ross, and Darrelle Revis look like possibilities.

OLB is a need believe it or not. They need a 3-4 SLB to replace Greg Ellis. Bobby Carpenter is going to play the inside this year and they have Ware on the outside. Outside of that though they need someone else. They'll need to address that to maintain the 3-4.

New England

DB is a huge need. Ellis Hobbs needs some competition and they need depth. Even with Asante Samuel back they need to address this area. Safety is also a concern as the have a lot of age there. They need some youth.

WR is a need now. Chad Jackson has a torn ACL. They lack depth and they need a playmaker.

LB is a need. A lot of people think they need to go with an outside LB but I think inside LB is a bigger need. Mike Vrable can best utilize his skills on the outside and drafting an inside backer would allow them to move him there.

If they lose Daniel Graham then don't sleep on a TE like Greg Olsen. Ben Watson is there to stay but they run a lot of 2 TE sets and losing Graham would hurt them in that area.

San Diego

Safety needs to be upgrade. The one weakness on this defense is got to be their pass coverage and they need a playmaker back there.

Inside LB is a need now. If they let Donnie Edwards go this becomes a need. That's something to monitor. I heard he's all but gone but you never know.

WR as well. McCardell isn't a #1 no more. Vincent Jackson had his fair share of drops as well. They'll need to address that.

Offensive Guard could be a need to replace Kris Dielman if he leaves. Ben Grubbs, Arron Sears, and even Justin Blalock would all be good fits.

:twocents:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 RB's for Green Bay? I Know Leonard can be a FB but I dont like this draft I like round 1 but round 2 give us a WR or CB which ever is the better pick

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 RB's for Green Bay? I Know Leonard can be a FB but I dont like this draft I like round 1 but round 2 give us a WR or CB which ever is the better pick

EDIT i did this draft in two parts and kinda forgot we drafted Lynch before giving us Brian Leonard, so screw it...

I did the first round one day, the second round the next, forgot in the process that I gave us Lynch, didn't feel like re-doing it, there you have it...it would've been easier to edit out Leonard than Lynch but I think Leonard has that much more offer the team, excluding **** charges...didn't have the heart to take Leonard away from us...free agency is gonna blow any thought process to hell anyway, all mocks will have to be re-done after this weekend

here's who I take for the Packers, post-combine
1- WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee, has >4.4 speed so he can get downfield, has size and strength and hands so he can be a possession target
Hon. Mention: FS Reggie Nelson (Florida)
2- RB/FB Brian Leonard, Rutgers, I've done posts on how not having fullback, tight end contribute to our offense just makes it that much tougher well Leonard can be the short yardage back we've been missing, he can catch, blocking is suspect but hey
3- DB Eric Wright, UNLV...I paid attention to the combine today with DB's working out, this kid has great awareness, footwork and recovery speed...looked as comfortable as some of the prospects slated for round one, lets hope that didnt move him up to far

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:

I did the first round one day, the second round the next, forgot in the process that I gave us Lynch, didn't feel like re-doing it, there you have it...it would've been easier to edit out Leonard than Lynch but I think Leonard has that much more offer the team, excluding **** charges...didn't have the heart to take Leonard away from us...free agency is gonna blow any thought process to hell anyway, all mocks will have to be re-done after this weekend

here's who I take for the Packers, post-combine
1- WR Robert Meachem, Tennessee, has >4.4 speed so he can get downfield, has size and strength and hands so he can be a possession target
Hon. Mention: FS Reggie Nelson (Florida)
2- RB/FB Brian Leonard, Rutgers, I've done posts on how not having fullback, tight end contribute to our offense just makes it that much tougher well Leonard can be the short yardage back we've been missing, he can catch, blocking is suspect but hey
3- DB Eric Wright, UNLV...I paid attention to the combine today with DB's working out, this kid has great awareness, footwork and recovery speed...looked as comfortable as some of the prospects slated for round one, lets hope that didnt move him up to far

I like the Meechum pick very much, but I sure don't want a fullback that can't block. I just have a feeling that our 1st round pick is going to be a DB. I know safety is deep this year, but I also keep thinking about the ages of Al and Woodson and I'd like to see some better depth behind them.

I think we are in a lot better position this year to draft BPA versus need picks. One of our biggest needs is punt returner and I wouldn't mind seeing Ginn Jr drafted either. It will be long two months

OP
OP
H

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the Meechum pick very much, but I sure don't want a fullback that can't block. I just have a feeling that our 1st round pick is going to be a DB. I know safety is deep this year, but I also keep thinking about the ages of Al and Woodson and I'd like to see some better depth behind them.

I think we are in a lot better position this year to draft BPA versus need picks. One of our biggest needs is punt returner and I wouldn't mind seeing Ginn Jr drafted either. It will be long two months

Leonard isn't a true fullback, he's a change of pace type halfback with the size of a fullback, think Mike Anderson...I never take 40's into account that much but he can outrun Marshawn Lynch and he also led all backs in the bench press, superior spped/strength combo

I wouldn't mind a DB first round if its safety, if Landry or Nelson fall to us...however the corner class isn't as deep as previous years...2nd round we could go for McCauley, Chris Houston, etc...Eric Wright is rising into the second round, I like him a lot

Members online

Latest posts