Potential Upsets This Weekend I Need Opinions On

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
2-2 Cowboys at 4-1 Patriots
Cowboys healthier and coming off a bye, having two weeks to fume/re-group over the meltdown. And the Pats coming off a big win over the hated Jets. This will depend on the "Good Romo" showing up though, a big if. Pats have not lost at home in ages in the regular season but some week they will.
Smells like a trap game to me early on. When you think about it, the Cowboys outside of Romo mistakes against the Jets and Lions should be a 4-0 team heading into this game.

4-1 49ers at 5-0 Lions
Not sure this would be considered a huge upset if it happened. Lions coming off an emotional win on MNF at home, short week. 49ers might be a fraud (who ever believes in the NFC West teams?)but I believe in them a lot under Jim Harbaugh. Not sure I trust the offensive line for the Niners though.

Thoughts?

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I could see them both. Key is getting hits on Brady though. The 6 seconds he has to throw everytime is unreal, and the Cowboys have the best pass rusher in the NFL. 49ers would be my favorite upset pick. Jim Harbaugh is my coach of the year so far because of what he's done with Alex Smith. He has them playing at a high level. I think they can win a low scoring game.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I could see them both. Key is getting hits on Brady though. The 6 seconds he has to throw everytime is unreal, and the Cowboys have the best pass rusher in the NFL. 49ers would be my favorite upset pick. Jim Harbaugh is my coach of the year so far because of what he's done with Alex Smith. He has them playing at a high level. I think they can win a low scoring game.

I am not sure yet if I will have the guts to pick against the Pats at home (did pick them to lose to the Bills but it was on the road) but ATM I just can't see this being an easy game either. Cowboys need this game after that disaster against Detroit. They need to compete with the Pats. Romo will get tarred and feathered if he blows another game this soon. The Pats D is not very good but the o line like you said can be terrific. Jets got some sacks though.

Lions are talented and flying high but I sort of believe Harbaugh's boys might be able to take them down a notch.

Will be thinking of these games for days now probably. I hate picking favorites to win them all.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure yet if I will have the guts to pick against the Pats at home (did pick them to lose to the Bills but it was on the road) but ATM I just can't see this being an easy game either. Cowboys need this game after that disaster against Detroit. They need to compete with the Pats. Romo will get tarred and feathered if he blows another game this soon. The Pats D is not very good but the o line like you said can be terrific. Jets got some sacks though.

Lions are talented and flying high but I sort of believe Harbaugh's boys might be able to take them down a notch.

Will be thinking of these games for days now probably. I hate picking favorites to win them all.
dont see the patriots losing to the cowboys too be honest. Brady will tear them apart.

Neither are the lions losing the the niners.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I like your 2 upset picks, well thought out.

The Patriots defense is crap. People tell me all the time how they still get interceptions giving up huge chunks of yards, but I'm not seeing it so far this year. I think they did lead the league in interceptions last season, which was the only shining light of a 31st ranked pass defense, but still, when people give Bellichek all this credit of being a "defensive mastermind" I can't help but laugh.

I think that game depends on defense. It will probably be a shoot out, and while Dallas did have the bye week, I don't know if they'll win this one. They blew such a lead on Detroit thanks to Romo, but the real problem there was play calling. When you're up 27-3, last thing you need to be doing is throwing the ball. They could have been running it and killing down the clock.

I don't see the Patriots losing to Dallas. Sure they'll probably give up 300-400 passing yards and some touchdowns, but Brady will shred them to pieces, and also New England can run the ball while Dallas neglects it just to run up passing stats.

I never thought I'd say this, but I actually want the 49ers to win, and expose some weakness in Detroit.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yes, not sure yet if I pick the Pats to lose this game. But, it's been tempting to me and still is. Rob Ryan has had success against the Pats. Look at the Browns game last year. If Brady gets the great wall of China protecting him in this one then the Pats will win.I just think this is a game the Cowboys MUST have to erase the Detroit game.

The play calling for the Cowboys will be key. They have to put up points though. I have more faith in the Cowboys putting up points then I do Mark Sanchez.

Niners may not have enough talent on offense but then again, Jim Harbaugh. He will utilize what they have and have some tricks up his sleeve.

I am torn on Cowboys/Patriots.

I am right now picking the 49ers to win this game. Lion have to lose eventually and this seems like the perfect time to me.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
dont see the patriots losing to the cowboys too be honest. Brady will tear them apart.

Neither are the lions losing the the niners.

That why this is upset alert speculation. ;)

I do this every week with my own picks. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I had the Bills beating the Pats. I guess when the Pats up 21-0 I was not looking so hot but there came the Bills......this years games are not over till they are over. And the Pats never seem to hold onto leads well. I swear Pats/Bills was a lot like Colts/Pats. Was Manning out there having the furious comeback and their D getting a few strange turnovers or sacks? Good stuff.

I am wondering if I should hold off on the Lions losing and wait for them to play Atlanta as an upset? I can't though right now. I just have too much faith in Harbaugh. Harbaugh>Matt Ryan. ;)

I think I may be stunned if the Lions don't lose a game before they play Green Bay at this point.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Patriots at home against the Cowboys will handle business quite well. Don't let their little burp against Buffalo fool you. They are still a powerful team.

Just as I am not yet sold on Detroit, I am really not sold on SF. Since it's in Detroit, I'd stay away from taking SF. Not only is Detroit a better team at this point, I don't think Alex Smith will be able to handle the noise at Detroit.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think you picked the wrong upset. I thought it would be Rams over the Packers.

Dallas @ NE. I would be highly surprised to see Dallas beat them in NE. If it was in Dallas, then maybe.

Niners @ Lions. Ditto.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Patriots at home against the Cowboys will handle business quite well. Don't let their little burp against Buffalo fool you. They are still a powerful team.

Just as I am not yet sold on Detroit, I am really not sold on SF. Since it's in Detroit, I'd stay away from taking SF. Not only is Detroit a better team at this point, I don't think Alex Smith will be able to handle the noise at Detroit.

I know the Pats well. They may very well roll the rest of the regular season but I don't see them as a SB winning team right now either. I didn't last year as well.

In fact, I think the AFC has become the weaker conference. 2 of the last 3 SB winners are from the NFC and with Peyton Manning out the AFC is missing a key power team as well.

I know the Lions are a better team, but the Niners play above their talent levels.

I suspect the Lions lose a game soon enough and I am trying to find it I guess. I thought it may be the Cowboys but I suppose a 24 point lead is not enough these days huh?

Thats why I love upset picks. When leading up to the games people don't buy into the upset team but sometimes it does happen.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When two teams of reasonably equal capability play, I almost always take the home team. I would here for sure. Cowboys coming off their bye week makes this tougher though but I don't often pick against NE lately.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Yes, not sure yet if I pick the Pats to lose this game. But, it's been tempting to me and still is. Rob Ryan has had success against the Pats. Look at the Browns game last year. If Brady gets the great wall of China protecting him in this one then the Pats will win.I just think this is a game the Cowboys MUST have to erase the Detroit game.

The play calling for the Cowboys will be key. They have to put up points though. I have more faith in the Cowboys putting up points then I do Mark Sanchez.

Niners may not have enough talent on offense but then again, Jim Harbaugh. He will utilize what they have and have some tricks up his sleeve.

I am torn on Cowboys/Patriots.

I am right now picking the 49ers to win this game. Lion have to lose eventually and this seems like the perfect time to me.

I heard that, Mark Sanchez is so overrated. I'll never see what people see in him.

You are right on Rob Ryan, I didn't think about that Cleveland game. Dallas' biggest problem is their play calling. The Detroit game showed it. They want to rack up on passing yards so Romo will be a top quarterback when you got a 27-3 lead, last thing you need to do is rack up on passing yards so you can brag about being a top passing offense. They should have been running the ball, trying to kill the clock. Now I like Jason Garrett, I think he's a fine young coach, but that should be a learning lesson to him. i liked his decision making getting rid of the bad seed Roy Williams and cutting Marion Barber, their only problem is quarterback. Jerry Jones is an idiot, when Garrett could probably draft a young quarterback and work him in his pass heavy system, but Jerry would rather go with Romo blowing games.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that, Mark Sanchez is so overrated. I'll never see what people see in him.

You are right on Rob Ryan, I didn't think about that Cleveland game. Dallas' biggest problem is their play calling. The Detroit game showed it. They want to rack up on passing yards so Romo will be a top quarterback when you got a 27-3 lead, last thing you need to do is rack up on passing yards so you can brag about being a top passing offense. They should have been running the ball, trying to kill the clock. Now I like Jason Garrett, I think he's a fine young coach, but that should be a learning lesson to him. i liked his decision making getting rid of the bad seed Roy Williams and cutting Marion Barber, their only problem is quarterback. Jerry Jones is an idiot, when Garrett could probably draft a young quarterback and work him in his pass heavy system, but Jerry would rather go with Romo blowing games.
sanchez is indeed overrated. This year he is showing he CANNOT carry a team on his back.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
sanchez is indeed overrated. This year he is showing he CANNOT carry a team on his back.

I was playing Starcraft II last week with a friend of mine that chats over the mic during and after games, we talk about football sometimes, and he was saying the same thing, but my friend is around a lot of Jets fans, and claims their excuse is his O-line.

Warren Moon got sacked 35-40 times in a year and that same year, he threw for 4,000 yards and 25+ touchdowns, back when quarterbacks got killed. Houston Oilers were in the playoffs that same season.

Aaron Rodgers, sacked over 50 times in 2009, made the playoffs.

There is NO excuse for pocket awareness. These 2 are good examples, as they both have pocket awareness and mobility. When Sanchez drops back, he NEVER looks both ways before throwing the ball, causing him not to see when he's got a pass rush coming his way, which most of his sacks and knock downs are from guys he don't know is coming.

Sure Rex thinks Joe Namath is an idiot for criticizing Sanchez, but Namath played when quarterbacks got killed, and he's got a ring. Something I don't ever see Sanchez getting.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was playing Starcraft II last week with a friend of mine that chats over the mic during and after games, we talk about football sometimes, and he was saying the same thing, but my friend is around a lot of Jets fans, and claims their excuse is his O-line.

Warren Moon got sacked 35-40 times in a year and that same year, he threw for 4,000 yards and 25+ touchdowns, back when quarterbacks got killed. Houston Oilers were in the playoffs that same season.

Aaron Rodgers, sacked over 50 times in 2009, made the playoffs.

There is NO excuse for pocket awareness. These 2 are good examples, as they both have pocket awareness and mobility. When Sanchez drops back, he NEVER looks both ways before throwing the ball, causing him not to see when he's got a pass rush coming his way, which most of his sacks and knock downs are from guys he don't know is coming.

Sure Rex thinks Joe Namath is an idiot for criticizing Sanchez, but Namath played when quarterbacks got killed, and he's got a ring. Something I don't ever see Sanchez getting.
first of all, i love blizzard games. Diablo 3 is going to be sick (Starcraft 2 is sick too).

To be honest, it depends on the qb. A brady or manning, i.e. pocket passers EXPECT great protection from their o-line. So i guess you dont expect much mobility from these guys (even though both, particularly brady have great pocket awareness).

Sanchez just can't get it done when he doesnt have a lot of time. I think sanchez's main problem is CONSISTENCY. He shows flashes of brilliance but they are far and between.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think with Sanchez what you see is what you get. I am not sure I would expect a huge leap or improvement, really. He is what he is.

I will give him credit for showing up at times in big games but he is far too often a let down for me to believe he can reach elite status. That team had a spark the last few years and now it is wearing off.

The bigger let down to me though is Matt Ryan at times.

Speaking of Ryan what about Panthers at Falcons?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't care how bad the Patriots defense is, I just can't bet against Tom Brady at home. Even with Dallas' pass rush, the Patriots have one of the more stout offensive lines in the league and if Brady has any kind of time under center....good night sweet defense. Plus their two tights ends are serious weapons.

Also to people ripping on Sanchez. I think you guys are pointing the finger at the wrong guy here. Mark Sanchez has the potential to be a very solid QB in this league, but Brian Shottenheimer is such a moron when it comes to play calling and is holding the reigns so tight, that it's almost impossible for a Mark to learn, grow and improve as a quarterback. Sanchez is very limited in what Shottenheimer lets him do. He probably has about 6-8 total plays including runs that he goes into a game with. How can you expect him to evolve or get better if he can't take risks?

There was another QB that this happened to, he played for the Jets and he also played for us, Rick Mirer.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I don't care how bad the Patriots defense is, I just can't bet against Tom Brady at home. Even with Dallas' pass rush, the Patriots have one of the more stout offensive lines in the league and if Brady has any kind of time under center....good night sweet defense. Plus their two tights ends are serious weapons.

Also to people ripping on Sanchez. I think you guys are pointing the finger at the wrong guy here. Mark Sanchez has the potential to be a very solid QB in this league, but Brian Shottenheimer is such a moron when it comes to play calling and is holding the reigns so tight, that it's almost impossible for a Mark to learn, grow and improve as a quarterback. Sanchez is very limited in what Shottenheimer lets him do. He probably has about 6-8 total plays including runs that he goes into a game with. How can you expect him to evolve or get better if he can't take risks?

There was another QB that this happened to, he played for the Jets and he also played for us, Rick Mirer.

Yeah, I am going to have trouble picking against NE at home. Right now I am leaning towards no. But, leaning towards the 49ers on the road. Why not? I need an upset or two every week or else I get bored with picking games. Will see how I feel in a few days with upsets. If anyone can think of another upset let me know. Bills vs. Giants is another tough game to me. Panthers and Falcons the same.

You are right, Sanchez might not be the best around but Shottenheimer does not help. Jets fans despise him.

Edit: I AM Picking Niners to win this weekend. May flip a coin later on over a few more games.

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think my picks would vary based on what I'm putting on the line. Are you just making picks for a pick 'em pool or are the stakes a little higher? I would expect the Niners and Pats to win, but Dallas is currently +250.... there is a lot of value there if you are willing to take the gamble.

I'm new here... is gambling talk frowned on?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think my picks would vary based on what I'm putting on the line. Are you just making picks for a pick 'em pool or are the stakes a little higher? I would expect the Niners and Pats to win, but Dallas is currently +250.... there is a lot of value there if you are willing to take the gamble.

Only if you're betting the Bears win the Super Bowl....:laugh:

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score

It's a pick'em pool with a little money at the end of the year involved. ;) Not enough to scare you money wise, but enough that I have been studious with my upsets :). I am bold at times. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I had the Bills beating the Pats week 3. I am wondering if it's too soon for another Patriots loss though.

I read the Cowboys last 10 or 11 games have been decided by 4 or less points. If recent history stays true, then the Pats could be in for a close game. I find it interesting that I lurked at a Cowboys forum and many of them seem pretty confident about this game matchup wise. Have yet to make up my mind on this game completely. Will do it by Friday. Also the Cowboys ended the Colts win streak in 06. Ended the Saints win streak in 09. Can they end the Pats win streak at home?

I hope I have not jinxed the Niners but I like them in this game right now a lot. Lions have to lose sometime right?

What do people think of Bills at Giants and Panthers at Falcons?

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard an interesting stat on the Dan Patrick Show. Historically Dallas has won 73% of their games after their bye weeks. On top of that, Dez Bryant and Miles Austin will both be healthy, NE's defence is atrociously bad and I think Dallas is due for a "statement game". I think I'm going Dallas this week.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do people think of Bills at Giants and Panthers at Falcons?

I'm thinking the Bills will win this matchup, because the Giants are playing average football right now and the Bills have a good quarterback, good O-line, and a defense that thrives on turnovers (Vick threw 4 interceptions against them last week). Eli's not a bad quarterback, but he is very error-prone, and I know he'll throw some drive-killing picks.

Panthers and Falcons? Oh, that's a tough one. The Falcons play well at home, but their offense doesn't play the full 60 minutes, and Ryan currently has a "meh" 79.9 passer rating. Carolina has a good running game, but they also don't play the full 60 minutes and Cam Newton, as good as he is, has a "meh" 84.3 passer rating as well. Both secondaries are awful and both don't have a scary D-line. I'm picking the Falcons, solely for the home field advantage, but other than that, it's a wash.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
All right, going with Dallas and San Fran.

Why not? If some of us are wrong we are wrong. I just have to take some risks this week.

And I also flipped a coin and Dallas and San Fran won.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts