Two names that could fill the rb void

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I still haven't given up on Green, he was coming back from ACL surgery. He may be much stronger next season. but I like the way Harris puts his pads down. I would like us go get a pounder that can move the pile on third and short. If we can find that guy in the draft I would rather do that then trade any picks.

M

mayo44

See point 1. Too small of a sample size.

Nonsense. If that's the case then training camp and preseason is worthless for evaluating talent. It's not just statistics. You can see his talent in how he plays the game. He attacks his holes with abandon and sidesteps tacklers without breaking stride. You can't teach that.

M

mayo44

Football is not a scientific study with controlled variables. If I'm wrong, then please do calculate what would be a sufficient sample size and explain how you compensated for the astronomically high SNR that would be involved.

Statistics in football can only be used to lend support to subjective observations. I'm not dumb enough to think otherwise.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football is not a scientific study with controlled variables. If I'm wrong, then please do calculate what would be a sufficient sample size and explain how you compensated for the astronomically high SNR that would be involved.

Statistics in football can only be used to lend support subjective observations. I'm not dumb enough to think otherwise.

I don't have a specific number in mind. But grading out a player on such few snaps doesn't give you a complete picture. That's why you need minimums for things like this. Sorry I'm just not ready to say the line is going to be ok behind a back that averaged less than 40 yards a game.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I deleted some posts..

Lets get back on track...

Harris does seem to run with a purpose, but 34 touches IS a small sample size...

Try this....What if a q/b tosses the ball 34 times in one game...No int but 3 tds, and 400 yards..

Is that enough to say he is the answer to a teams q.b issue?

M

mayo44

I don't have a specific number in mind. But grading out a player on such few snaps doesn't give you a complete picture. That's why you need minimums for things like this. Sorry I'm just not ready to say the line is going to be ok behind a back that averaged less than 40 yards a game.

Yards per carry is what matters, not yards per game. The player has no control over how many reps he gets. That's in the coach's hands. And I didn't say the line was okay. I said Harris's performance may... allow me to repeat that... MAY give some indication that the blocking from the line isn't as bad as SOME people might think it is. Please observe that the word "may" does not imply a certainty.

M

mayo44

I deleted some posts..

Harris does seem to run with a purpose, but 34 touches IS a small sample size...

Try this....What if a q/b tosses the ball 34 times in one game...No int but 3 tds, and 400 yards..

No, but getting back to Harris, when you have a back that shows more natural ability that anyone else on the roster almost every time he touches the ball, then there is more than ample reason to say he should have the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Some people say he can't do the job. I have seen nothing so far to support that. So what if Pittsburgh and Carolina cut him? They already had established starters and there was no way he was going to get a legitimate shot there. Look at how many QBs we have cut over the years who went on to play in the Pro Bowl for other teams.

M

mayo44

I still haven't given up on Green, he was coming back from ACL surgery. He may be much stronger next season. but I like the way Harris puts his pads down. I would like us go get a pounder that can move the pile on third and short. If we can find that guy in the draft I would rather do that then trade any picks.

LeGarrette Blount could be had cheap enough and he would fit that bill nicely.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, but getting back to Harris, when you have a back that shows more natural ability that anyone else on the roster almost every time he touches the ball, then there is more than ample reason to say he should have the opportunity to compete for the starting job. Some people say he can't do the job. I have seen nothing so far to support that. So what if Pittsburgh and Carolina cut him?They already had established starters and there was no way he was going to get a legitimate shot there. Look at how many QBs we have cut over the years who went on to play in the Pro Bowl for other teams.

I did state he seems to run with a purpose..maybe HIS style is more to our o-lines ability where as the others just can't run behind our line.

But I rather see him in at least half a season doing same thing..

M

mayo44

I did state he seems to run with a purpose..maybe HIS style is more to our o-lines ability where as the others just can't run behind our line.

But I rather see him in at least half a season doing same thing..

And he can't do that unless he's given the chance. Heck, considering how much time we've given Starks and Green to show some ability, shouldn't he get the same opportunity to prove what he can do over the long haul? Maybe he flops. But if he doesn't, the payoff could be huge.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And he can't do that unless he's given the chance. Heck, considering how much time we've given Starks and Green to show some ability, shouldn't he get the same opportunity to prove what he can do over the long haul? Maybe he flops. But if he doesn't, the payoff could be huge.

He will get his chance

History shows the Pack wont do to much in trying to get a rb..I think Ced will be here, Harris, Green will be the crew along with one or two from the draft and un-drafted ones

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take a flyer on Peyton Hillis. He was an excellent runner two years ago. I'd rather see him get inside handoffs than John Kuhn.

Mendenhall is a player I don't want for personal reasons. His "Bin Laden isn't really a bad guy" tweet was topped only by "NFL players are slaves" tweet.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take a flyer on Peyton Hillis. He was an excellent runner two years ago. I'd rather see him get inside handoffs than John Kuhn.

Mendenhall is a player I don't want for personal reasons. His "Bin Laden isn't really a bad guy" tweet was topped only by "NFL players are slaves" tweet.

Plus he went to Ill-annoy.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I deleted some posts..

No not at all. It just shows he has the potential to be the answer. consistency is something you need in runners and QBs. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Potential in a player has to be realized within 2-4 years , anytime after that point it's time to cut him or trade him.

I have liked what i have seen from Harris,(just wished they ran him more in the playoff game against the Niners) but we don't really know how well he will hold up. that isn't to say he won't be good but i think we need to see a full year to determine how reliable he will be,

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest, as a team built around the pass signing Hillis IMO is an awesome idea. I mean think about it, the guy's instantly good enough to make our RB core (battle for the lead) and give TT a little less to worry about during the draft....and hopefully allow him to focus on the offensive side only one OL and recievers (WR or TE as they fall to us). You get what in my opinion is an above average runner who is still young and could explode again for a few years....you have one more draft pick to use on another position or do with as TT sees fit.

I'd love to see us enter next year with this stable battling it out:

-Harris
-Hillis
-Benson
-Saine
-Either Green/Tyler/undrafted FA/*or if a good solid RB falls to us in the draft I'd still pick him up due to me backing the BPA route in drafting.

*Hillis is a big enough bruiser to take over FB roles in a pinch as well if Kuhn no longer wears the G next season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take Hillis, he had a pretty good year in Cleveland a few years ago without virtually any passing game to keep from seeinf 9 in the box. He runs with authority and usually doesn't get pushed backwards. I'd like to see a guy like that here in Green Bay.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhhh the offseason..

Every other big name will be mentioned until training camp starts

Yup. We should sign every single free agent with name recognition, salary cap be damned!

FREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENTFREEAGENT